Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Video Game Merit Pin?
Sign of the Times 4 28.57%
Desperate Move to Stay Relevant 10 71.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2010, 08:04 AM   #1
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Scouts - Sign of the Times or Desperation?

Quote:
Cub Scouts: The term conjures images of kids doing stuff outside – hiking amid nature, tying knots or identifying which leaf will leave you scratching if used for the wrong purpose.

Well, times have changed. In a move that may horrify old-school former Scouts, the Boy Scouts of America has announced it will offer two awards – a pin and a belt loop – to boys who spend hours playing video games.

Yes, that’s right. Just picture a group of 8- to 10-year-olds huddled around not a campfire but a TV, that glowing box of complacency.

Apparently these new awards are geared toward making Scouts understand which games are appropriate for their age group, not just rewarding them for sitting around on their butts playing video games. Scouts also can work towards their pin by playing a video game that "helps you in your schoolwork."

But you still have to wonder if this isn’t a misguided attempt by the Cub Scouts to stay relevant by pandering to boys’ interests. Seems to me the Scouts should be getting kids outside and teaching them practical skills beyond the bubble of their everyday lives instead of how to read the back of a video game box.

It reminds me of some “Star Trek” episode where a civilization has become so reliant on technology that they have no practical know-how and can’t fix it when it breaks - picture Picard MacGyvering a computer with a paper clip so the planet doesn’t explode.

Those of you who were in the Scouts, what’s your take on this? Should today’s Cub Scouts be rewarded for playing video games? What badge or award were you most proud of earning?

The hand basket just moved one loop closer to hell, I think...

Last edited by tyketime : 04-29-2010 at 08:09 AM.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:16 AM   #2
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I'm an Eagle Scout, and I'm ok with this.

There has been a computer merit badge for Boy Scouts for at least 25 years. Cub Scouts less about outdoors and camping than the Boy Scouts. They aren't getting the pin or belt loop from just sitting down and playing Mario Kart all weekend.

Here are the requirements for the belt loop:

# Explain why it is important to have a rating system for video games. Check your video games to be sure they are right for your age.
# With an adult, create a schedule for you to do things that includes your chores, homework, and video gaming. Do your best to follow this schedule.
# Learn to play a new video game that is approved by your parent, guardian, or teach

And for the pin:
1. With your parents, create a plan to buy a video game that is right for your age group.
2. Compare two game systems (for example, Microsoft Xbox, Sony PlayStation, Nintendo Wii, and so on). Explain some of the differences between the two. List good reasons to purchase or use a game system.
3. Play a video game with family members in a family tournament.
4. Teach an adult or a friend how to play a video game.
5. List at least five tips that would help someone who was learning how to play your favorite video game.
6. Play an appropriate video game with a friend for one hour.
7. Play a video game that will help you practice your math, spelling, or another skill that helps you in your schoolwork.
8. Choose a game you might like to purchase. Compare the price for this game at three different stores. Decide which store has the best deal. In your decision, be sure to consider things like the store return policy and manufacturer’s warranty.
9. With an adult’s supervision, install a gaming system.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:30 AM   #3
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Okay - since Cartman's posted the requirements for it, I don't think it's as bad. Less about "go play games" and more about teaching, comparison shopping, etc.

Although "install a gaming system" could be pricey...but I guess it doesn't say "a new gaming system" or anything, so you could borrow one from a friend, install it, and then give it back.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 04-29-2010 at 08:30 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:36 AM   #4
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Thanks for the additional info cartman. Sheesh... I kinda feel bad about my vote now.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:52 AM   #5
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Wow, such a huge difference between how the article is written and how cartman describes it. Whomever wrote the article should be taken out back and shot.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:03 AM   #6
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
Thanks for the additional info cartman. Sheesh... I kinda feel bad about my vote now.

Ditto.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:06 AM   #7
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Wow, such a huge difference between how the article is written and how cartman describes it. Whomever wrote the article should be taken out back and shot.

The guy who wrote it is a Mizzou grad.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:26 AM   #8
gstelmack
Pro Starter

And yet we have no link to the original article to see who is responsible.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:28 AM   #9
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Cub Scouts to offer video gaming pin – SciTechBlog - CNN.com Blogs
Old 04-29-2010, 11:33 AM   #10
Easy Mac

Whoever wrote that article is a douche. I can't remember the last time I used anything I learned from being a cub scout. The most I remember about being a scout was building a stupid little car from a block of wood (pretty sure everyone's dad did this) and walking in the woods looking for cool animal skulls.

I'll be sure to use these skills when the world ends.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:43 AM   #11
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

aaah yes - the old cub scout pinewood derby right?? my car had the disembodied head of one of skelator's henchmen driving it IIRC
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:52 PM   #12
Logan
Head Coach

So to answer the subject question:

Yes to both: it's a sign of the times -- shitty journalism -- and an act of desparation -- dying for an audience.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:57 PM   #13
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Although "install a gaming system" could be pricey...but I guess it doesn't say "a new gaming system" or anything, so you could borrow one from a friend, install it, and then give it back.

For that matter, take yours apart and put it back together.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote