Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-17-2009, 01:09 AM   #1
muns
Pro Starter

NCAA President Myles Brand dies at 67

INDIANAPOLIS -- Myles Brand, who fired Bob Knight as Indiana University basketball coach and went on to become NCAA president, died Wednesday of pancreatic cancer. He was 67.

The first former university president to run college sports' largest governing body, Brand worked to change the perception that wins supersede academics and earned accolades for his efforts.

Brand broke the news that he had cancer in January at the NCAA convention and continued to handle the organization's day-to-day operations, despite undergoing treatment. NCAA officials, who announced his death, were not ready to say who would replace Brand or when they may begin searching for a successor.

Forde: Brand transformed NCAA
From April 2009: What is done at the highly secretive NCAA is not always well-known. What we do know is this -- the late Myles Brand transformed the academic expectations of student-athletes. Story

"Myles Brand's passing is a great personal loss of a dear friend and an even greater loss to the NCAA and collegiate athletics," said Georgia president Michael Adams, who worked closely with Brand. "I believe Myles will be remembered as a person who helped us refocus on the student in student-athlete and his academic reforms will long outlive him."

Brand gained national attention in May 2000 when he put Knight on a zero-tolerance policy after a former player alleged the hugely successful but hotheaded coach had choked him during a practice years earlier.

Four months after that announcement, freshman Kent Harvey accused Knight of grabbing him, and Brand did what fans considered unthinkable -- he fired the coach who won three national championships in Bloomington.

Knight later moved on to Texas Tech, stepping aside for his son, Pat Knight, in February 2008. Texas Tech spokesman Randy Farley said Bob Knight left Lubbock on Tuesday and wouldn't be back until next month.

"Just because he fired us doesn't mean we want anything bad to happen," Pat Knight said. "That's shocking. I don't wish death upon anybody. That's sad, no matter who it is."

Indiana students protested at the time of the firing, gathering in front of Brand's home, even hanging Brand in effigy, but his decision gave Brand a platform to address the problems he saw in college sports.

During a January 2001 speech at the National Press Club in Washington, Brand criticized the growing "arms race" in college sports, saying that school presidents faced tough challenges with celebrity coaches and suggesting the emphasis on winning championships endangered the real mission of universities.

"This is a sad moment for the Big Ten and the NCAA as a whole," said Big Ten commissioner James E. Delany said in a statement. "Myles Brand was a tremendous leader at Indiana University and an active change agent in spotlighting academic improvement as the NCAA president. He made tremendous progress in moving the NCAA closer to its educational roots and transformed it into an organization concerned about the student component of the student-athlete."

In October 2002, Brand was hired to lead the NCAA and used that position to move his agenda forward.

After his term began in January 2003, Brand pushed for tougher eligibility standards for incoming freshmen and current students. Eventually, the NCAA adopted two new academic measures, the Academic Progress Report and the Graduation Success Rate -- calculations that provide real-time statistics on how athletes are performing in the classroom.

Those initiatives earned praise from university administrators and others.

"This was a man who understood the importance of higher education, as well as the benefit of athletics participation as part of the educational experience," NCAA executive vice president Bernard Franklin said in a statement. "He did not waver from that as a tenet of NCAA operations."

Brand also helped the NCAA embrace the 21st century, starting his own podcast and adding videos to the NCAA Web site. He routinely contradicted the myth of the "dumb jock" by citing figures showing student-athletes graduated at a higher rate than their fellow students.

"Myles Brand was a kind man, an inspiring leader and a driving force for academic and athletic progress," ESPN President George Bodenheimer said in a statement. "He displayed tremendous courage and dignity in his battle, and he will be missed. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family."

Some early critics believed he didn't know enough about sports to run the NCAA, but later conceded Brand listened more to coaches and athletes than previous NCAA chiefs.

"He worked very closely through the National Association of Basketball Coaches to really, not only listen, but hear what the coaches' concerns were," former Kentucky athletic director C.M. Newton said. "He took that to the NCAA membership. He probably did that better than most any of his predecessors."

Brand also helped secure an unprecedented agreement to keep Indianapolis in the regular Final Four rotation through 2039 and got the NCAA involved in helping design the city's new Lucas Oil Stadium.

"I believe Myles provided a great deal of wise leadership to the NCAA and that his achievements in the academic area were very significant," former Pac-10 commissioner Tom Hansen said. "I regret very much his passing and that we'll be deprived of his leadership in the future. I thought he did a tremendous job."

Before taking over at Indiana, Brand spent five years as president at the University of Oregon. He also held administrative posts at Ohio State and led the philosophy departments at the University of Arizona and Illinois-Chicago after starting his career as a professor at the University of Pittsburgh.

Brand earned his bachelor's degree in philosophy at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, N.Y., in 1964 and received a doctorate in philosophy at the University of Rochester in 1967. He is survived by his wife and a son.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:02 AM   #2
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

He seemed like a huge driving force behind the BCS format. I'm sure the big boys will put in another one who will act as their point man for that, but there is a possibility that it might change.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:05 AM   #3
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And my across the street neighbor may be one of the people in line for the job, although that may be just wishful thinking on the part of some UGA fans.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:19 AM   #4
Izulde
Head Coach

Swayze and Brand struck down by pancreatic cancer in the same week. Man, that's rough.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 03:43 PM   #5
ColtCrazy
College Starter

When I was student president at IUS, I got to meet Brand. Never cared much for him as I thought he was always a bit condescending towards students. Of course, Hoosiers will always associate him with Bob Knight's firing.

Despite my opinion of him, it's sad to see anyone go. 67 seems too young to die in this day and age.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:45 PM   #6
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Mark Emmert hired as NCAA president *| ajc.com

INDIANAPOLIS — University of Washington president Mark A. Emmert became the NCAA's new chief executive on Tuesday, ending the search that began in November.

Emmert succeeds Myles Brand, who died last September from pancreatic cancer. Brand was the first ex-university president to lead college sports' largest governing body and the first chief executive to die in office. Jim Isch has served as interim president since Sept. 22 and will continue to do so for the next several months.

Emmert will begin his duties Nov. 1. NCAA officials said Emmert was given a five-year contract.

It was a surprise choice.

The early front-runners were University of Hartford president Walter Harrison, Georgia president Michael Adams and NCAA executive Bernard Franklin.

But the NCAA decided to go in a different direction, opting for a man they thought could deliver the organization's message effectively in any venue.

Executive committee chairman Ed Ray, the Oregon president who knew Emmert from his days at Washington, said the initial list of nearly 100 candidates was whittled to 32, then to a handful of finalists who were interviewed Tuesday afternoon.

At about 5 p.m. Indianapolis time, Ray called Emmert and offered him the job.

Emmert became Washington's 30th president in June 2004. He is one of the highest-paid public college presidents in the nation. He came to Seattle from LSU, where he was chancellor.

A native of Fife, Wash., he graduated from Washington in 1975 with a degree in political science. He received his master's degree in 1976 and his doctorate in 1983, both in public administration from the Maxwell School of Syracuse University.

He also has a passion for sports.

In an interview with The Associated Press this month, Emmert said Washington's performance in the NCAA basketball tournaments was one of the highlights of his year.

"That was a pleasure and a delight to watch," he said.

When asked about suggestions by some that participation the NCAA tournament should include an academic requirement, Emmert bragged about the academic abilities of Washington's student-athletes. He said most of the university's athletes outperform the rest of the student body academically.

Emmert has been a master at building alumni support and fundraising. During his tenure, the university completed its most successful fundraising campaign in history, raising more than $2.68 billion.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:49 PM   #7
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Good for Emmert, bad for the UW.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote