Old 04-27-2010, 08:24 PM   #1
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

National Guard in Chicago?

hxxp://officer.com/online/article.jsp?siteSection=1&id=51958

Quote:
BY KRISTEN MACK and DAAREL BURNETTE II
Chicago Tribune

Two state representatives called on Gov. Pat Quinn Sunday to deploy the Illinois National Guard to safeguard Chicago's streets.
Chicago Democrats John Fritchey and LaShawn Ford said they want Quinn, Mayor Richard Daley and Chicago Police Supt. Jody Weis to allow guardsmen to patrol streets and help quell violence. Weis said he did not support the idea because the military and police operate under different rules.
"Is this a drastic call to action? Of course it is," Fritchey said. "Is it warranted when we are losing residents to gun violence at such an alarming rate? Without question. We are not talking about rolling tanks down the street or having armed guards on each corner."
What he envisions, Fritchey said, is a "heightened presence on the streets," particularly on the roughly 9 percent of city blocks where most of the city's violent crimes occur.
Weis previously identified those "hot spots" and said he plans to create a 100-person team made up of selected and volunteer police personnel to respond to crime there. If guardsmen were to assist police, they could comprise or contribute to that force, Fritchey said.
So far this year, 113 people have been killed across Chicago, the same number of U.S. troops killed in Iraq and Afghanistan combined in the same period, Fritchey said.
"As we speak, National Guard members are working side-by-side with our troops to fight a war halfway around the world," Fritchey said. "The unfortunate reality is that we have another war that is just as deadly taking place right in our backyard." While the National Guard has been deployed in other states to prevent violence related to specific events and protests, the Chicago legislators said they are unaware of guardsmen being deployed to assist with general urban unrest.
Weis countered that the only scenario in which the National Guard would be helpful is in the situation of a tornado, earthquake or flood. If the military were brought in to help with city violence, they wouldn't answer to police command -- creating a "major disconnect" in mission and strategy.
Alluding to the 1970 Kent State University incident where the National Guard was called in and protestors and students were shot, Weis said having guardsmen handle crime could be "disastrous." But he said if the Daley suggested it, he would consider the option.
"I'm open to anything that reduces violence. But I have concerns when you mix law enforcement and the military," Weis said.
But Fritchey and Ford said prompt action is needed because summer is right around the corner and with the warm weather comes an increase in violence.
Fritchey and Ford serve two different constituencies, representing the North Side and the West Side respectively. "One half of this city views this as a part of daily life," Fritchey said. "Another part of the city doesn't care because it doesn't affect them." Yet the lawmakers said they are coming together because gun violence should be a priority to all Chicagoans.
"No help is too much help" Ford said. "This is not just about the murders. It's about the crime. It's about people being stabbed, robbed and in the hospital on life support."
Fritchey said he spoke to representatives from Quinn's office about deploying guardsmen and they "seemed open to the idea." The lawmakers had yet to speak to Weis or the mayor's office.
"I don't anticipate the governor implementing it over the objection of the mayor," Fritchey said.
"I hope this doesn't become a territorial issue. I hope this doesn't become an ego issue. This isn't about public relations or politics. This is about reclaiming our communities."
McClatchy-Tribune News Service

Last edited by illinifan999 : 04-27-2010 at 08:26 PM.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Don't imagine there will be anyone agreeing with this approach but I have been wrong before so I might be wrong again. All I have to ask is what the hell are these representatives thinking?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:36 PM   #3
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I think this sounds like a good idea.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:56 PM   #4
RainMaker
General Manager

It doesn't sound like a good idea but we need some form of law enforcement in the city. To those against it, do you just want anarchy in the streets?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:57 PM   #5
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

They did catch the Blues Brothers
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:56 PM   #6
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
It doesn't sound like a good idea but we need some form of law enforcement in the city. To those against it, do you just want anarchy in the streets?

Most of those against it would tell the city to hire more cops. The last time they tested was in 2006. The last numbers I heard was that the city was understaffed by around 3500 officers. And that's the minimum level they should be at.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:18 PM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Looks like the mayor's answer is more gun control.

"This is all about guns, and that's why the crusade is on," Daley said. "We hope to get their cooperation in Springfield."

Daley declined to completely dismiss the idea, saying all ideas for quelling violence should be entertained, but he also noted a host of complicated issues that would ensue if the Guard were called in.

"You put them on for a weekend, without ammunition?" he asked. "Think of the repercussions you have to look at. … A fully automatic weapon?"

Mayor Richard Daley was cool to the idea of sending the National Guard to patrol Chicago’s streets - chicagotribune.com
Old 04-27-2010, 11:25 PM   #8
MikeVic
Head Coach

Gun control? More like bullet control. Charge 10K for a bullet and see who can afford them, or who has to put them on layaway.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:12 AM   #9
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999 View Post
Most of those against it would tell the city to hire more cops. The last time they tested was in 2006. The last numbers I heard was that the city was understaffed by around 3500 officers. And that's the minimum level they should be at.
The cops we have aren't doing much anyway so adding more probably won't help. Having a few more people on my block writing parking tickets isn't something I want.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:43 AM   #10
Sgran
High School Varsity

It will be interesting to see if California lightens the demands on their cops by legalizing pot.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:15 AM   #11
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

It's a political stunt by two Democratic state reps who want to avoid having to work on Illinois' real problems in an election year.

And then Daley, predictably, used it for his own gain as well.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote