Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-07-2020, 01:40 PM   #1
Ternvig
n00b

Is play calling still important for coordinators?

In short, is play calling for coordinators still relevant?

I think not, but the helpfile still says: "They are rated for play calling, which is valuable only for offensive and defensive coordinators".

If this relates to 'running down the clock' and preventing hail marry's, I think I would be able to live with coordinators with low play calling rating.

Am I overlooking something important in this assumption?

Ternvig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:42 AM   #2
Ushikawa
H.S. Freshman Team

Don't really understand how you got to end of half/game there but I feel like I have been overemphasizing it a bit.

In the past, it had a lot to do with familiarity vs the opposing side iea high pkaycalling coordinator would get his unit more familiar quicker against opposition. And there was help text that pretty much said it improved execution.

Could be a defensive breakdown leads to the Timing bar activation for example. Or an offensive play calling breakdown leads to a failed play,missed block, drop, bad throw.

In the text of this versions help it stated something like the ability to learn new plays which could mean a few things.

Literally new plays in your playbook have some sort of penalty which this mitigates.

Improved cohesion building.
Ushikawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 12:08 PM   #3
Ternvig
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushikawa View Post
Don't really understand how you got to end of half/game there but I feel like I have been overemphasizing it a bit.

My point being that the only wiggle room the coordinators has to do some ‘pure’ on the field play calling are in end 4q situations. Otherwise every play has since FoF8 came out been dictated in the playbooks.

Since coordinators don’t call plays anymore is the ‘stat/skill’ still important/relevant?

I was unaware that it builds cohesion. Thanks. Kinda surprising.

I think the ability for the team to learn new plays - perhaps only QBs - is a leftover from the Fof7 help file. I remember back in fof7 how Qbs had to learn formations and that play calling help with avoiding familiars on offense, but with management of training camp, which I miss, and locked formations it’s lost it’s relevance. Now all formations and lineups are available and QBs just do it all.

Execution/Timing bar activation - interesting.

Penalties of new plays - also interesting.

Thanks Ush. I might wait a little on signing a non-play calling coordinator.
Good luck with the Fargo boys in the upcoming draft and season.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:00 PM   #4
Ushikawa
H.S. Freshman Team

Yea these aren't facts just my thoughts, pkaycalling to me is important how so, no idea?
Old 08-15-2020, 09:37 PM   #5
garion333
High School Varsity

I think it's a buff/debuff to any given play. Likely minor, but something that is a part of every play, so it adds up over time.

That pretty much describes most things in the game...
garion333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:22 AM   #6
tzach
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ternvig View Post
In short, is play calling for coordinators still relevant?
?

In short, yes
tzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 05:19 PM   #7
Krispy
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzach View Post
In short, yes
Any chance of getting a long answer why?
Krispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:41 PM   #8
tzach
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krispy View Post
Any chance of getting a long answer why?

yes.
Old 10-01-2020, 04:25 AM   #9
Front Office Midget
High School Varsity

As far as "still" important, I don't think the impact of the playcalling rating has changed at all.

Before, it didn't literally determine whether your OC called good plays in the right situations. It's some kind of bonus/modifier. I don't think anybody can say exactly what it does because the help file doesn't tell us.
Front Office Midget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:39 AM   #10
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Office Midget View Post
It's some kind of bonus/modifier. I don't think anybody can say exactly what it does because the help file doesn't tell us.

That's my thinking, also. It's yet another modifier to the dice rolling. Quality and fit for your OC give some general adjustment to the likelihood of the chosen play resulting positively.

That's the way a game like this incorporates football-ish things that are beneath the level of our involvement... a good OC/playcaller will order up some pre-snap motion, or unusual formations, or whatever - in an effort to make the play more effective. We don't get to do that, exactly, in FOF - but hiring a high quality OC has that effect. So in little-people-inside-my-compter terms, if you like, think of it that way: your clever (high play calling rating) OC is the guy who called the fake jet sweep as part of the finesse run play, and because the opposing LOLB bit on the WR movement, instead of staying home, the run went for 9 yards rather than 2. Good play design and execution made it better, thanks OC!

(Speculation, but reasonably well informed speculation)

Last edited by QuikSand : 10-01-2020 at 09:40 AM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:05 AM   #11
tzach
High School JV

good to see you here krispy.

quik has a well motivated answer above.

What the help file says is 'They are rated for play calling, which is valuable only for offensive and defensive coordinators.'

So this is why it is important -- we are told so in the manual hehe

i went through the trouble of testing this in SP. i did limited tests -- took the worse play caller i could get and simmed the same season over and over. did the same with the best play caller i could find.

there were noticeable differences in performance with the stud play caller, both on offense and defense. this was enough to convince me to not ignore the play calling bar (or any other info from the manual). i didn't go as far as quantifying the effect, but i'd guess it has a similar effect on win % as motivation for head coach (i.e. a lot)

Last edited by tzach : 10-01-2020 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:54 PM   #12
Ushikawa
H.S. Freshman Team

There is some explicit text that it pertains to learning new plays as well.

In previous versions is helped gain a familiarity advantage as well.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:58 PM   #13
tzach
High School JV

in the current manual the bit about learning plays refers to the fit of a given play to offensive style (another modifier), not to the playcallling bar
Old 10-05-2020, 02:03 PM   #14
Ternvig
n00b

Quote:
in the current manual the bit about learning plays refers to the fit of a given play to offensive style (another modifier), not to the playcallling bar

Isn't that just a leftover from FOF7 when QBs had to learn new formations in TC?
Old 10-06-2020, 01:56 AM   #15
tzach
High School JV

nope

Quote:
Offensive coordinators have an offensive style. While they can call plays ideal for any offensive style, teams learn the plays a little better if the play is suited to the coordinator's style.
Old 10-06-2020, 05:50 PM   #16
Ushikawa
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
You are right, I was thinking of cohesion: Cohesion ratings are a measure of how well a group of players on a team learns new plays and implements the existing playbook.