Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-10-2011, 02:30 PM   #551
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Gwendoline Christie will be Brienne

Game of Thrones Brienne | Inside TV | EW.com

No good, she is not ugly enough. I know, they will "make her ugly". Can't you just hire a naturaly ugly brutish looking chick?
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:33 PM   #552
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus View Post
No good, she is not ugly enough. I know, they will "make her ugly". Can't you just hire a naturaly ugly brutish looking chick?

Make-up can "make people ugly" (just like it made Peter Dinklage a blonde), but it cannot give people the ability to act. Hopefully, she's a great actress and will nail the role. Far more important a trait.

While the show isn't batting 100% with casting, it's been pretty damn close to it and those in charge of such things deserve the benefit of the doubt.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 07-10-2011 at 02:34 PM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:40 PM   #553
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Make-up can "make people ugly" (just like it made Peter Dinklage a blonde), but it cannot give people the ability to act. Hopefully, she's a great actress and will nail the role. Far more important a trait.

While the show isn't batting 100% with casting, it's been pretty damn close to it and those in charge of such things deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Yeah, I agree. They have done a really great job casting and presenting the show on screen. I hope they can keep up support and complete the entire series.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:42 PM   #554
JPhillips
General Manager

Ugly women don't get roles.

That's not a good thing, but it is what it is.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:13 PM   #555
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Ugly women don't get roles.

That's not a good thing, but it is what it is.

Kathy Bates say hi.

Kathy Griffin agrees with you.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:37 PM   #556
JPhillips
General Manager

I guess I should have said ugly women under 40 don't get roles.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:04 PM   #557
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:

How many horribly ugly actresses over 6 feet tall are out there?
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:52 PM   #558
PraetorianX
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
How many horribly ugly actresses over 6 feet tall are out there?

More important: How many of them can act?
PraetorianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:45 PM   #559
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

They could probably go 5'10" and get the same effect.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:25 AM   #560
PraetorianX
High School JV

Quote:
They could probably go 5'10" and get the same effect.

Not really. A 5'10" chick would certainly be better than somebody shorter...

Spoiler
Old 07-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #561
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraetorianX View Post
Not really. A 5'10" chick would certainly be better than somebody shorter...

Spoiler

This. About 1,000 times. I felt the same way about Arya and Robert; their characters didn't exactly have the LOOK I wanted, but they are completely nailing their roles. I also agree that Brienne isn't necessarily supposed to be hideously ugly...just extremely homely, and that this is completely exacerbated by her habits.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:44 PM   #562
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Melisandre & Stannis cast, from EW.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/07/19/stannis-melisandre/

Melisandre: Carice van Houten (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0396924/ )

Stannis: Stephen Dillane ( http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0226820/ )

I don't know either actor, but the woman cast for Melisandre looks perfect.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 07-19-2011, 01:46 PM   #563
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Both look fine to me. Dillane can pull off the "hard as iron" look I think, from some of the pics in his IMDB reel there, and Carice will look good with a nice red wig.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:50 PM   #564
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Ah, he was Merlin from the Clive Owen / Keira Knightly King Arthur movie. Yeah, he'll do well, I think. I woulda preferred Eccleston, but he should work well.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 07-19-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:52 PM   #565
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Dillane also played Jefferson in HBO's John Adams miniseries...
Old 07-19-2011, 06:21 PM   #566
Groundhog
Coordinator

Not familiar with Dillane, but he has the right kind of face/expression for it IMO.
Old 07-19-2011, 07:57 PM   #567
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Dillane also played Jefferson in HBO's John Adams miniseries...

He was good. Think he'll work fine.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:34 PM   #568
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Carice van Houten was in Black Death with Sean Bean. She played a witch and did a great job with the role. By the way Black Death was a pretty good movie and is on Netflix streaming.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:44 PM   #569
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
This. About 1,000 times. I felt the same way about Arya and Robert; their characters didn't exactly have the LOOK I wanted, but they are completely nailing their roles. I also agree that Brienne isn't necessarily supposed to be hideously ugly...just extremely homely, and that this is completely exacerbated by her habits.

I'm sure the casting will work out fine. They have done an outstanding job all together. Although, the following is from Feast of Crows. The chick is plainly uglier than homely.

Quote:
Brienne is abnormally large and strong for a woman, and exceeds most men in size. She has large, very blue eyes that appear trusting and guileless, but they are her only attractive feature. She is extremely broad-shouldered, but has virtually no bust. Her face is broad and coarse, with a nose that has been broken several times. Her mouth is too wide, with prominent and crooked teeth and lips so plump they seem swollen. Her hair is the color of dirty straw and her face is mottled with freckles.
When

asked about her height Martin commented:

Quote:
Brienne is well over six feet tall, but not close to seven, no. Just off the top of my head, I would say Brienne is taller than Renly and Jaime and significantly heavier than either, but nowhere near the size of Gregor Clegane, who is the true giant in the series. Shorter than Hodor and the Greatjon, maybe a bit shorter than the Hound, maybe roughly the same height as Robert.

Also, I though Aria was cast spot on and Rob was pretty damn accurate too. I guess the thing about books is that every reader gets to imbed their own imagination to a great degree.

Last edited by Grammaticus : 07-19-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:51 AM   #570
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

They also cast Davos.

He will be played by Irish actor Liam Cunningham.

Liam Cunningham - IMDb
Old 07-20-2011, 06:26 PM   #571
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
They also cast Davos.

He will be played by Irish actor Liam Cunningham.

Liam Cunningham - IMDb

Yup, definitely seeing that. Interested to see how they do his hand.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:44 PM   #572
GrantDawg

I just read an interesting rumor. Asha Greyjoy's name is probably going to be changed to Yara to limit confusion between her and Osha. She hasn't been casted, but the name out there right now is Gemma Whelan.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:52 PM   #573
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I just read an interesting rumor. Asha Greyjoy's name is probably going to be changed to Yara to limit confusion between her and Osha. She hasn't been casted, but the name out there right now is Gemma Whelan.

I heard that too about the name change. It's similar what they did with Robert Arryn. They changed his name to Robin Arryn, so people wouldn't confuse him with Robert Baratheon. The switch to Robin was fine, especially since in the books his mother referred to him as "Sweet Robin" as a nickname.

/Goes to Google Gemma Whelan
Old 07-25-2011, 02:03 PM   #574
MrBug708
Head Coach

Looking at her pictures, I dont see it
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:24 PM   #575
GrantDawg

HBO exec:

"We told George we would go as long as he kept writing"
Old 07-28-2011, 05:56 PM   #576
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
HBO exec:

Awesome. Keep writing, George!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:59 PM   #577
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
HBO exec:

I expect that they are going to need to change the timeline somewhat or possibly recast some of the youngest characters down the line if they plan to keep this show on the air for more than a few seasons.

Last edited by Ryan S : 07-28-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:52 PM   #578
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
HBO exec:

Kind of a moot point since if they do a book=season a year, they'll be on book 5 in 2015 and given that he doesn't plan to even look at book 6 until next year, winter 2014-15 would be the absolute earliest I'd expect to see it and they'll pass him by quickly after. He'd be stuck with the options of getting HBO to stop until he finishes book 7 (for the moment, still the last book) or having his novel spoiled by the TV series and probably taking a beating in sales that way.

I can't blame him for taking 8 months away from the computer after finishing ADWD given the pain in the ass it was for him, but he will have to pick up the pace to finish the series before HBO does if they do choose to keep it on.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:09 PM   #579
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I seriously doubt that 1 season will be 1 book. I'm really not sure how it would go though, as the first few books could be a few seasons each, but the last couple of books seem to be pretty lacking in plot development, I just can't picture how it will translate into books yet.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:51 AM   #580
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
I can't blame him for taking 8 months away from the computer after finishing ADWD given the pain in the ass it was for him, but he will have to pick up the pace to finish the series before HBO does if they do choose to keep it on.

8 months off?! Oh no, the next book is going to come out in 7 years .
Old 07-29-2011, 10:24 AM   #581
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The New York Times asked the question about shows and books as well .

Will Winter Keep Coming? HBO Discusses the Future of 'Game of Thrones' - NYTimes.com

Quote:
Here are the kinds of questions that keep “Game of Thrones” fans up at night. (You might want to have a pencil and paper handy for this one.)
The first season of that Emmy-nominated HBO drama was, more or less, a straight adaptation of the George R. R. Martin fantasy novel “A Game of Thrones,” the first book in his “Song of Ice and Fire” series. To date, Mr. Martin has published four more books in his planned seven-book series: “A Clash of Kings,” “A Storm of Swords,” “A Feast for Crows” and, most recently, “A Dance with Dragons.” The elapsed time between “Crows” (released in 2005) and “Dragons” (released earlier this month) was nearly six years. Even if we allow that the television adaptations of some of these novels could require more than one season, is it possible that the “Game of Thrones” HBO series could run out of material before Mr. Martin has finished writing the books?
In a presentation held Thursday at the Television Critics Association tour in Los Angeles, an HBO executive seemed to answer this question while possibly raising others. “I don’t know where the show will end, as opposed to the books,” Michael Lombardo, the president of HBO programming said, according to Reuters. He added: “”It would be fantastic to be able to say this show will go on for 10 years, and do every aspect of the books. I don’t know that will be the case. We’ll see, but we are doing this without any predetermined idea of the number of seasons.”
The network is already committed to a second season of “Game of Thrones” (for which a premiere date has not yet been announced) and said that it is mindful of the passionate fan base for Mr. Martin’s novels. “That is a relationship that we are very aware and respectful of,” Mr. Lombardo said.
Still, if the “Game of Thrones” producers find themselves starved for material, there is always this.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:28 AM   #582
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
8 months off?! Oh no, the next book is going to come out in 7 years .

My theory for releases has been that Martin will release a book for every new US President. Storm was Clinton, Feast was Bush W, and Dragons is Obama.

So I guess if we want a new book sooner, don't vote Obama in 2012.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:33 AM   #583
GrantDawg

Quote:

Both things confirmed: Game of Thrones casts Theon's fierce sister Asha | Inside TV | EW.com
Old 09-20-2011, 10:45 PM   #584
MikeVic
Head Coach

Does anyone have a link to that HBO family tree thing, but in printable format all in one page?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:47 PM   #585
MrBug708
Head Coach

No surprise that Tyrion won an Emmy
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:20 AM   #586
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Does anyone have a link to that HBO family tree thing, but in printable format all in one page?

This is from the books, but it should help. I was printing this out for the first two books and referring to it pretty frequently for a time:

A Game of Thrones-Appendix - A Wiki of Ice and Fire
Old 12-12-2011, 10:05 AM   #587
spleen1015
Coordinator

Season 2 Trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBrsM...layer_embedded
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:18 AM   #588
JPhillips
General Manager

Apparently nobody speaks in season 2.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:30 AM   #589
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I haven't watched the teaser/trailers for Season 2 yet. Not sure why. I guess maybe because I know what it's going to look like visually and I'm already amped for it I just don't feel the need?

Or maybe it's because I want to give them undivided attention, which I haven't made the time for yet?
Old 12-12-2011, 11:09 AM   #590
cschex
High School Varsity

I will say the guy playing Stannis both looks and sounds awesome
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:51 PM   #591
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Here is a small snippet from an interview with a guy from the new special effects company they hired for season 2, because the company they had for season 1 didn't have the capacity to do everything they needed done:

"In the upcoming season, we see a lot more of [the dragons], and that’s really exciting. And the direwolves. We’ve been involved in creating them this season, and we’ve shot a lot of elements with them. These things are big, the size of small horses, and I can’t wait to see how they look."

One of the big complaints about the first season was how little we saw of the dire wolves. Great to hear we'll be seeing more of them this year.

I hope they look good. Not sure if I've ever seen any CGI wolves that looked right. The ones in "The Day After Tomorrow", for example, were abysmal.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:08 PM   #592
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

DIRE-MOTHERFUCKING-WOLVES!!!!

WOOOO!!!!!!!!

AND DRAGONS!!!!!!!

/Runs off to rewatch the last minute of the season finale on HBO Go
/back

FUCK YEAH!!!!

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 12-12-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:13 PM   #593
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'll be interested to see the dragons around season 4ish (and beyond)... that'll be fun.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #594
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Sounds like Season 2 will premiere on Sunday, April 1st!

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118048607?refCatId=14

HBO has set April 1 as the date for the 10-episode second-season premiere of ''Game of Thrones.''

Fantasy drama was a huge ratings winner for the pay cabler in its debut last year, as well as a massive profit center for the net since HBO produces the series as well. In addition to be a domestic hit, ''Thrones'' drew millions of viewers around the world.

Other premiere dates announced by the cabler include the Lena Dunham comedy series ''Girls'' to debut April 15, Julia Louis-Dreyfus laffer ''Veep'' a week later on Apirl 22 and two-hour telepic ''Game Change,'' with Ed Harris as Sen. John McCain and Julianne Moore as Gov. Sarah Palin, will debut March 10.

That's definitely a few weeks earlier than expected.

The night is dark and full of terrors!

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 01-13-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #595
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Makes sense as the Blu-ray and DVD (for S1) come out March 6th .

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 01-13-2012 at 10:44 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #596
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Makes sense as the Blu-ray and DVD (for S1) come out March 6th .

Yep! I already have that on pre-order!
Old 01-13-2012, 05:28 PM   #597
PraetorianX
High School JV

BTW, if you pre-order through BestBuy, you can get a cool alternative cover.

One has the Stark direwolf, the other the three headed dragon of Targaryen.

Both are awesome.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #598
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

HBO replaying of the first season starting well...9 minutes ago. Not sure what the full schedule as far as days of the week and stuff is.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #599
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

As expected, there is going be an extended trailer for Season 2 of "Game of Thrones" Sunday night, right around 8:59 or so before the premiere of "Luck."
Old 01-27-2012, 05:25 PM   #600
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
As expected, there is going be an extended trailer for Season 2 of "Game of Thrones" Sunday night, right around 8:59 or so before the premiere of "Luck."

Sweet!!

I haven't watched any of the S2 stuff yet. But man was I digging the premiere again last night...totally geeking out again.