Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #101
SirBlurton
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
How long are your quarters and runoff?

I've been using 15 minutes with 18 second run-off....
I sometimes super sim defence if I don't have time for a full game. When I do, I find that's way too long, but I haven't found a setting that works for that yet. Thinking I'll turn off the accelerated clock and go with 9 minutes.
SirBlurton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #102
whomario
Pro Starter

has super sim improved even a little bit ? (in past editions there would be like a 5 second run off for every play and scores and stats thus got out of hand totally)
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #103
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
has super sim improved even a little bit ? (in past editions there would be like a 5 second run off for every play and scores and stats thus got out of hand totally)

No. Terrible as it always was
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #104
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
No. Terrible as it always was

They probably can't patch it either because it would cause too many bugs and glitches or something.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #105
Groundhog
Coordinator

I got this as a gift, but have been pleasantly surprised, although I didn't play much of last year's version. I've been playing on 15 min quarters with 12 second run-off to speed up the games, but it gives you precious little time to adjust anything. Games still take around 1hr 10mins for me which is longer than I'd like.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:43 AM   #106
Jon
High School Varsity

I just had a preseason game that went into OT. However, it ended after a FG. Aren't the new OT rules now applied to non-playoff games?
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:51 AM   #107
Danny
Head Coach

My regular season game used new OT rules. You sure the FG was on the very first OT possession?
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:30 AM   #108
Logan
Head Coach

The football itch has arrived but I don't play anywhere near enough to justify the price of these games anymore. I'm guessing the 13 version won't drive me too crazy if I can pick it up cheaply on ebay?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:30 AM   #109
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
The football itch has arrived but I don't play anywhere near enough to justify the price of these games anymore. I'm guessing the 13 version won't drive me too crazy if I can pick it up cheaply on ebay?

I wouldn't think so. You'll miss the read option and get some weird looking tackles as the infinity engine is more refined in 25. There's also the return of owner mode, but if those things don't really matter I think you'll be fine.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:05 AM   #110
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
I just had a preseason game that went into OT. However, it ended after a FG. Aren't the new OT rules now applied to non-playoff games?

I thought preseason games don't go into overtime at all.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #111
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
I thought preseason games don't go into overtime at all.

Chiefs/Steelers played OT this year.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:21 AM   #112
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
I wouldn't think so. You'll miss the read option and get some weird looking tackles as the infinity engine is more refined in 25. There's also the return of owner mode, but if those things don't really matter I think you'll be fine.

I've seen some really weird looking tackles in '25. Including one where I tried to juke a defender, barely grazed him and bounced backwards five yards.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #113
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

The thing I hate about the infinity engine is there is still no way for it to realistically deal with rubs and minor colliding (arms and legs) causing players to pretty much be taken out of a play. In 13, I am currently playing in a LB only league with a friend and It happens 5-10 times a game where I am closing in on a tackle in traffic and I rub against someone who is on a block, and suddenly my defenders arms go out like he is trying to take flight or he stumbles for 3-5 steps, or both. Its so wonky how players pretty much go paraplegic when they so much as graze another player.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:55 PM   #114
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I play 13 min quarters with 19 second run off. The super sim is definitely useless, which forces me to run the clock even more if I'm up late. It's the biggest issue of the game.

Otherwise, I'm enjoying the playability. It's a flawed but fun game.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 01:36 PM   #115
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Okay, got a season in (9-7 with the Eagles, would take that in real life this year; though missed the playoffs as there were a grand total of 5 teams over .500 in the AFC but 9 teams over .500 in the NFC and a 10-6 team even got left out of the post season).

Some feedback based on that season:

- Why can't I change the name of my save? That save system sucks if trying to juggle a couple different games.

- There is an amusing bug with the crowd reactions to challenges. The home crowd boos when a challenge ruling goes their way and cheers when it goes against them.

- I like the changes to the passing game. Makes you have to set and throw if you want a better throw. Also like that there are few minor features that make it look a little more realistic (like one time I was rolling out with Vick and being chased and saw McCoy wide open a few yards ahead; I tapped his button and Vick did a Favre like flip to get it to him).

- I swear catchup logic is still in the game. Every time I had a lead the other team would suddenly come up with some super human plays to get back into the game. The last game of the season I was beating the Cowboys by 17 in the 4th and was rushing Romo on one play; he was back pedaling and being hit while starting to throw (any other time this leads to the ball falling harmlessly to the ground for an incomplete pass; this time the throw was a laser 35 yards downfield with pinpoint accuracy to a receiver that was being draped by two defenders; there was about a 1 square foot window to hit from about 40 yards away from his backfoot while being crushed). Same story all season; if I was ahead by over 2 scores in the 4th the other team would always score at least 2 touchdowns with plays that I couldn't come close to stopping. Add to that the other team suddenly breaking tackles like they were 20 year olds playing against 10 year olds. Then once the game got close everything returned to as it was earlier in the game; the superman plays stopped.

- Like the feel of the running game and LOVE the read option. McCoy had over 800 yards and he missed almost half of the season. Vick had about 800 yards and 10 touchdowns. Jones had 700+ yards. Brown had about 500 yards. Yes, I was playing the anti-Andy Reid game plan.

- I HATE the lag when playing defense and that the game no longer seems to switch you to the most obvious defender. Countless times I have hit the switch button and instead of the game switching me to the player the is coming up try to make the tackle it switches me to someone 10 yards down field. This was a major issue early on because in past versions I would hit switch and then the tackle button because it would switch me to the right person. Now I have done that and all I end up with is a player 10 yards down field diving to the ground. That has caused issued if the ball carrier breaks the tackle of the other player and then runs past the player I just had dive to the ground.

- To continue the previous point, the LAG is worse. When it has changed me to a player that is close to the action I have lined up a chance to dive for a tackle and pressed the button but nothing happens. I then try to move the player to compensate for any move made by the ball carrier and the player takes another couple steps forward and then dives.

- I find the replay system not really worth it. I have seen too many plays that look like they should be overturned (or upheld) based on the replay and the result of the challenge almost seems random.

- Opponent's kickers. WTF? Any kick that was attempted against me under 55 yards was dead center and cleared the bar with many yards to spare. The only hooked hick was a 55 yarder that was attempted. The opponents' kickers were something like 25 of 26 against me.

- Play Now versus Franchise. There is no connection between the two. I tried to judge what settings I could use by trying some play now games. That was a massive failure. Settings that led to at least somewhat acceptable results in Play Now were insanely impossible in Franchise mode. The franchise mode settings that I have to use, when used in Play Now leads to games with about 120 points scored, over 1200 yards of offense and almost double digit turnover numbers; with plays averaging about 10-15 yards a pop (get a turnover or give up a touchdown).

- I would like it to be easier to follow the weekly league results. It feels like your team is in a vacuum and too much or a pain to see what is happening in the league. I am actually in the middle of the off season and I don't even know who won the Super Bowl (I could go look for it but that should be something that is obvious without having to go searching). Also, the geek side of me would have liked and option to actually see that game.

Yes I am being harsh but I hate that this game seems to be made only for online joystick jockeys with the rest being an afterthought.

I know FBPro had it's oddities but it made you feel like you were in a football universe where Madden makes you feel like you are playing a series of exhibition games.

As it is my only non text football option I have been enjoying it, just getting bugged by it.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:20 PM   #116
ColtCrazy
College Starter

I would agree with the catch up logic at times. I'm 3-2 as Jacksonville. I had Denver down 14-0 and 21-7, but they suddenly couldn't miss in the fourth quarter. I ended up losing in overtime.

I love the NFL, and I love building a franchise, but I would say the franchise mode feels disconnected at times. I'm enjoying the game more than I have in years, honestly, but it still seems flawed.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:29 PM   #117
Danny
Head Coach

Also in about 20+ games the CPU has never punted and downed a ball inside the 10 yard line. the ball always bounces back and goes into the endzone. I have only been able to get it inside the 20 by kicking it out of bounds. CPU has also never returned more than about 30 yards on a punt or kick return. I have had realistic success with this.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #118
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I like the game but am having more fun playing with the created rosters vs. franchise mode. My Marino led Dolphins got walloped by the Boomer Esiason led Bengals 55-38. Turning the ball over five times. The big one was a Keith Jackson fumble when he got leveled by David Fulcher.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #119
Groundhog
Coordinator

Anyone else find punt/kick returns a little easy? I generally sprint straight up the field, then swing to the left/right just before I hit the defenders and far too often I'm breaking off for big gains.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:53 PM   #120
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Just tried being a connected career player for the first time. I can't believe that they still can't get that part right. 1st game of the season against Washington, playing 12 minute quarters and Washington had a total of just over 3 minutes time of possession.

Do they have complete idiots testing this game?
Old 11-27-2013, 07:38 AM   #121
Kodos
Resident Alien

This game was pretty much DOA for me.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:50 AM   #122
Danny
Head Coach

I'm still enjoying playing, although I am just about unstoppable on offense with my current Raiders team even at OS All-Pro Sliders that are tweaked slightly more difficult.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #123
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I'm still enjoying playing, although I am just about unstoppable on offense with my current Raiders team even at OS All-Pro Sliders that are tweaked slightly more difficult.

I'm really enjoying Next Gen Madden although I'm 0-3 with my Eagles with slightly tweaked All-Pro sliders that are slightly more difficult than All-Pro. I've dominated past versions but find this to be the most challenging version yet - although that could change once I get a healthy mobile QB into this offense.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #124
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I'm really enjoying Next Gen Madden although I'm 0-3 with my Eagles with slightly tweaked All-Pro sliders that are slightly more difficult than All-Pro. I've dominated past versions but find this to be the most challenging version yet - although that could change once I get a healthy mobile QB into this offense.

I have Price McCaskill. 92 speed with a rocket arm and accurate. In my current season he has 136 QB rating and close to 100 yards rushing a game. Also have a stud RB I developed.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:32 PM   #125
Landshark44
High School Varsity

Anybody start playing with the Ultimate Team feature, and get tired of it? My son is playing it (he's 12) and the $1.49 for player packs is adding up...

If any of you have good cards that you are not using, It would be cool if I could get them to my boy... thanks
Landshark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:38 PM   #126
Groundhog
Coordinator

Pay to win really is a blight of the modern gaming era.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:45 PM   #127
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Pay to win really is a blight of the modern gaming era.

Seriously - fuck "pay to win" and the whole ultimate team concept.

Fuck it in its ear.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:19 PM   #128
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I tried the original version of Ultimate Team when it first shipped with Madden years ago, and stopped when all the players in my initial deck ran out of their contracts and I had not earned enough new decks to replace them. I stopped rather than pay up, and haven't gone near it since.

FWIW, it's not "pay to win" with Ultimate Team that put me off, it was more that it was "pay to play", and I'd rather play regular Madden.
Old 01-13-2014, 04:25 PM   #129
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post

FWIW, it's not "pay to win" with Ultimate Team that put me off, it was more that it was "pay to play", and I'd rather play regular Madden.

This. I'd rather just go straight to the toilet and flush the cash than contribute to another EA money grab.

They get $60 a year out of me, they aren't getting a penny more.

Last edited by BillJasper : 01-13-2014 at 04:25 PM.
BillJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:53 PM   #130
Groundhog
Coordinator

It's why I think that mobile gaming in particular flat out sucks. If there's a half-decent game on android or iOs that is not a camoflauged pay to win game, I haven't found it.

I'm OK with stuff like purchasing gear for your My Player or whatever because if some folks want their virtual self to have a funky jacket then more power to them, but when it comes down to competitive game modes skill should be the deciding factor, not which 13 year old has the richest parents.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:22 PM   #131
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
It's why I think that mobile gaming in particular flat out sucks. If there's a half-decent game on android or iOs that is not a camoflauged pay to win game, I haven't found it.

I'm OK with stuff like purchasing gear for your My Player or whatever because if some folks want their virtual self to have a funky jacket then more power to them, but when it comes down to competitive game modes skill should be the deciding factor, not which 13 year old has the richest parents.

If you're into board games there are a ton of excellent iOS implementations that are not at all play to win. I've also enjoyed little simple games like Temple Run, Angry Birds, PBA bowling, etc.. without feeling like i need to play to win
Old 02-20-2014, 12:41 PM   #132
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I actually bought Madden again when I got a PS4. Have to say I'm in love with the game. The All-Pro setting is rough, especially if you have bad habits playing the last gen version. Player ratings actually seem to mean something in this version.

I'm playing franchise and have Jacksonville off to a great 1-2 start (lost my first two games by a combined score of 71-3), with the 31st rank offense in the league.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:57 PM   #133
markprior22
High School Varsity

Thinking about trading in my NBA2K PS4 game for Madden. I really like 2K but generally play mycareer mode which needs some work for NG. You apparently never enter free agency (haven't gotten to this point myself) and play vision doesn't work properly (can definitely verify). I don't know...may just wait it out and put NBA towards The Show.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:15 PM   #134
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markprior22 View Post
Thinking about trading in my NBA2K PS4 game for Madden. I really like 2K but generally play mycareer mode which needs some work for NG. You apparently never enter free agency (haven't gotten to this point myself) and play vision doesn't work properly (can definitely verify). I don't know...may just wait it out and put NBA towards The Show.

Don't waste your time with Madden. It's the same as every release. The first couple games seem like "hey this isn't bad" then you start seeing just how pitiful their testing must have been. Obviously done by people with no clue about American football.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:26 PM   #135
Groundhog
Coordinator

I've given up on MyCareer but I'm having a blast with MyGm. Rebuilt the Magic with some draft steals (Kevin Love in FA helped too) and I'm in my 4th season - fast simmed rebuilding years 1 and 2, now playing 1 out of 4 games.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:17 PM   #136
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Don't waste your time with Madden. It's the same as every release. The first couple games seem like "hey this isn't bad" then you start seeing just how pitiful their testing must have been. Obviously done by people with no clue about American football.

I'd suggest that people use the Twitch live streams to judge for themselves. I watched 2-3 games and was seeing the same issues that have plagued previous releases.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:36 PM   #137
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post

Been that way for far too long..
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:06 AM   #138
BillJasper
Pro Starter

It's not perfect, but the PS4 version of the game is a huge step up from the Xbox360/PS3 version of the game. Are there some nagging glitches I wish they'd fix? Sure. Still kills me when the QB looks backwards when rolling out. But this is by far the best version of the game that I've ever played.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:48 AM   #139
Kodos
Resident Alien

Why should I take your word over somebody who hates the series and has watched several videos?
Old 02-21-2014, 08:50 AM   #140
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Why should I take your word over somebody who hates the series and has watched several videos?

Let me clarify, I'm not a stick jockey. I'm not very good with doing all the special moves and juking and things of that nature.

On the Xbox360/PS3 version of the game, you could abuse Cover 2 coverages. CB would try to get a bump on your receiver then let him go down the sideline while the safety seemed to take no notice until the ball was in the WR's hands. You could Hot Route to a go pattern and complete it about 95% of the time even with a 60's rated QB and WR. In the current version, if there is no one going to the flat, the DB recognizes what is going on and then turns and runs with the WR. Same thing with hook routes. Linebackers do seem to be a little too good in pass coverage.

Could it all still fall apart? Sure. But not because of the "on the field" game mechanics. I'm not very deep into franchise mode yet, so I don't know how the sim statistics stack up or how the CPU teams draft and sign free agents. But for the first time in Madden, I actually feel like the off-season is going to matter to my on the field success. That has me excited.

Since this is the second version of Madden in six months, I'd definitely recommend giving it a rental at least once you upgrade.

Last edited by BillJasper : 02-21-2014 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:33 AM   #141
Kodos
Resident Alien

Good info. Going to try to hold off until the fall and hope for a price-drop and/or hardware update. I wouldn't have time to play it much anyhow due to my NCAA football leagues.
Old 02-21-2014, 12:25 PM   #142
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

It is EA, they always fk something up.

In all seriousness, I have the game as well. I bought it 3 months ago and played it for around 2 hours and havent touched it since. I didnt find anything real awful about it in that time but nothing stuck out that made it seem much different than the previous 5-6 versions to me either.

Probably the biggest thing I dislike is if you want to play a game with realistic stats the games will take over 60 minutes to complete(even with accelerated clock). Makes it kind of hard to get into a franchise or anything like that.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 12:31 PM   #143
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Having played/owned practically every Madden from the original version on Genesis up to M25 on the PS4...I can honestly say this years PS4 iteration is the closest I've seen to real football on a console.

Now, don't mistake me saying that this is in any way an accurate representation of football. Madden is still light years away from creating the kind of realism that MLB: The Show creates, but if you're comparing Madden 20XX to Madden 25...this year wins out.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:14 PM   #144
BillJasper
Pro Starter

After five games, I'm 1-4 and just got my ass whipped by St. Louis 51-0. Zack Stacy ran the ball 37 times for 220 yards and I turned the ball over seven times again. So many bad habits I've built up over the years are just plain killing me in this game.

Last edited by BillJasper : 02-23-2014 at 07:14 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:13 PM   #145
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

GO RAMS!!!
Old 02-23-2014, 08:33 PM   #146
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
GO RAMS!!!

Old 03-07-2014, 07:48 AM   #147
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Madden is actually pretty solid this year, but it still has those quirks with no penalties, too many sacks and INTs, and the usual. It is pretty polished though, overall.

Amazingly, I came across this video today, and I must say that this game, minus player movements/graphics/etc is still light years ahead of where Madden is today, especially in regards to the offseason. Granted, this game didn't have a built in salary structure (at least I don't think), but I figured some of you all would remember it!

Football Pro 98 with Meringer! Denver vs Seattle Quick Match Part 1 - YouTube
Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:00 AM   #148
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe View Post
Madden is actually pretty solid this year, but it still has those quirks with no penalties, too many sacks and INTs, and the usual. It is pretty polished though, overall.

Amazingly, I came across this video today, and I must say that this game, minus player movements/graphics/etc is still light years ahead of where Madden is today, especially in regards to the offseason. Granted, this game didn't have a built in salary structure (at least I don't think), but I figured some of you all would remember it!

Football Pro 98 with Meringer! Denver vs Seattle Quick Match Part 1 - YouTube

The good ol days.. I still think FPS Football 96 was the best version of pc football ever made.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:33 AM   #149
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Oh, man. FPS: Football Pro completely re-defined video game football for me. As a young teenager, I spent many sleepless nights playing that series on my custom built rig with a 133MHz Pentium Processor, 4 MB of RAM, and a Matrox Graphics card that cost 2x more than the rest of the parts combined.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:15 AM   #150
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
The good ol days.. I still think FPS Football 96 was the best version of pc football ever made.

I would LOVE to see another game like that. Madden comes no where close. I don't need all the flashy graphics to enjoy the game, I need solid football.

I can't even guess how many hours I spent on those games, even back in the original version where it took FOREVER to get through a season.

One of my best memories comes from a game that my team wasn't even involved in (think it was the first version that had the Pro label). The unbeaten Cowboys (who were a machine that season; just steam rolling everyone, they averaged 20 point victories) against the Bills in the Super Bowl. The Bills defense held strong and had a 14-10 lead with under a minute left and the Cowboys had a 1st and goal from the 1. The Bills stopped them on 4 attempts to hold on for the Super Bowl victory.