Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-18-2008, 02:53 AM   #1
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

An Orthodox in Azerbaijan: A CK Dynasty - COMPLETE

Hello all!

It’s that time again. I have downloaded Deus Vult, the expansion for Crusader Kings. I am installing it now. While I do that, allow me to tell you about what I do not want to do with this dynasty.

I am not looking at the Mediterranean. I just did an EUIII dynasty as Naxos and I previously raped CK as Salerno (S. Italy). I have won EUII grand campaigns as Oldenburg and Mataram and Trebizond with a long stint as Granada added. In CK, I’ve done Halsingland, Sligo and Glamorgan. That means I’ve done Ireland, Germany, Britain, Scandinavia, Turkey, Italy, Greece, Iberia.

I want to play a one province nation that is independent and a baron. Places I haven’t played near are key. Let’s see what’s available.

Suenik - A one province barony out past Georgia and Armenia, right in the middle of a bunch of Islamic states, the far fringe of Christianity. This would be a dynasty about carving an Orthodox nation on the edge of the known European world, in the middle of the Islamic nations. It would be tough, and very militaristic.

Lubeck - At the base of Denmark is the single province barony of Lubeck. Adjacent to the Pagans in Mecklenberg, and with a claim on their titles already, it’s obvious that Lubeck needs to expand eastward along the coastal pagan provinces,.

That’s really my only two choices. I could try a vassal in the Russian system or Eastern Europe, but I prefer to be free as it were.

Both have obvious routes to expand, one by attacking the nearby pagans and the other by attacking the nearby Islamic people. Both are near areas I’ve done before (Lubeck is just three provinces away from Oldenburg, Suenik is four away from Trapezous. Both have nearby enemies - Byzantium and the Islamic peoples in Suernik, and Germany and Denmark and three province Mecklemburg in Lubeck.

Frankly, Lubeck is in a good position for a one province neutral country. Right by wealthy pagan provinces, already has claims, but the people here are Pagan too, despite the Catholic ruler. Lubeck has a 7/9/9/5 ruler who is frankly, intimidating. On the other hand, Suenik is way out there, hanging. With a 12/4/6/8 ruler who obviously wants to fight.

Alright, Suenik it is.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 01-18-2008 at 02:41 PM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 02:55 AM   #2
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Let's take a look at Suenik and the surrounding area before the game begins in 1066.

My barony is green. As you can see, we are way out there, virtually unsupported. It should prove to be interesting. Alright, let's take a survey of the land.

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 01-18-2008 at 02:56 AM.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:07 AM   #3
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Alright, I have my laptop in my lap and the desktop running CK right here. Let's see what I can see.

Our ruler is Grigor Gardman-Aghbania, a 41 year old Armenian Orthodox. His stats are 12 Martial, very high for right now, 4 Diplomacy, sorta low, 6 Intrigue, middle of the road, and 8 Stewardship - which is perfectly fine. He is Indulgent and Valorous.

I have a 16 year old son who I need to marry off. His name is, and I can already tell I'm going to like this dynasty from teh name:

Hovannes Senek'erim Gardman-Aghbania. Now that is a name.

His stats are 8,5,8,6 but he hasn't come out of his martial education yet. He has no traits. He is currently my realm's spynaster.

I am not married, so I should see to that soon.

I have a brother, Smbat Siwnik, who is my general with a, 11 martial rating, giving our empire a blistering 23 overall martial attrubute - very strong for this early and this small of a barony.

I have no other courtiers, but that should change in the next few days, because the game adds some to round out your court, Then we marry my count and heir off, and we get two more courtiers.

Suenik is Armenian and Orthodox.

My first target, ideally, will be teh adjacent province of Dwin. Dwin is an Armenian Orthodox province in teh hands of the Shiekdom of Albania. I'd like to free my fellow Orthodox people and that's a good place to start.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:13 AM   #4
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I like reading about the history of places that I play, but I can't find anything on Suenik.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:16 AM   #5
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

There is a province in modern day Armenia named Syunik. My guess is that they are one and the same.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:21 AM   #6
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Here is a paragraph from Wikipedia, and they are the same:

The throne was inherited by his nephew Sembat (963-998) who was recognized as king by the emirs of Tauris and of Arran. He was married to the princess of Aghuania, Chahandoukht. At his death, he was followed by Vasak (c. 998-1019). Vasak was succeeded by two nephews (the children of his sister and a Prince Achot) called Sembat and Grigor (1019-1084). The latter was married with the princess Chahandoukht, daughter of Sevada of Aghuania. The only successor to the two princes, was a daughter of Grigor's called Chahandoukht. Rule passed to the prince of Aghuania, Seneqerim Ioan who governed both territories from 1084 until his death in 1105. Seneqerim Ioan was followed by his son Grigor of Syunik and Aghuania, who governed until 1166, when the country was conquered by the Seljucids Turks.

As you can see, I am going to try to rewrite history. Some of my previous dynasties were fairly historically accurate within the contexts of the changes I made (such as most of my Naxos dynasty)

In this case, I intend to carve out a major kingdom here in an area surrounded by enemies. Let's see what we can do

Old 01-18-2008, 03:33 AM   #7
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Our Current Laws:

Semisalic Primogeniture I'm fine with this. I prefer Salic Primogeniture, but Semisalic is okay,

Traditional Custom - Im not a big fan here. I move it to Feudal Contract.

Ecclestical Balance - Yuk. Normally, I Prefer Regal Surpremacy (more troops) and I see no readon not to do so here. Yes, it ticks off the church, but frankly, on the edge of Christendom, I'd prefer men over piety, the sword over the cross.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:52 AM   #8
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

This is my first chance playing around with the ledger. I want to start with a wife for the count, since he will be less demanding than the heir needs to be.

Alright, I found a 17 year old candidate in Normandy for the count. Now, the heir.

Can you not sort by whether or not a bride candidate is currently in the line of secession? That's sad. I still have to click on a bunch of candidates as a result.

If I can marry my heir to the 24 year old Mariam Bagratuni, of the Kingdom of Georgia, and then they have issue, while I kill off the brother, I might be alright.

Okay, that's the plan then. Marry into Georgia and get a grandson in the dynastic order.

I got an 8 skill diplomacy adviser and I appoint him to the Chancellor position.

Jan 4, 1067 - Georgia agrees to the marriage.

My heir's new wife:

Mariam Bagratuni, 25, Energetic and Honest, 8,11,8,8 - She has great stats and solid skills. I appoint her our Steward.

Jan 7 - My count has also married. I take aduty of 21 ducats.

My new wife:

Adelais de Ponthieu, 18, Honest, 8,10,7,8 stats. I was just looking for someone with good stats and young to give me more children just in case of death to my heir. I make her my Chancellor.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:17 AM   #9
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Dwim was released by the Shiek of Albania. It is now a one territory shiekdom. Hmm. I wonder if my troops can take it?

They have 325 men

I have 520

That would seem to favor us. Hmm.

They are new, so no allies yet.

Fortune favors the bold. I want to mobilize our forces. Declare war, and order them to march. However, I don't have enough men to take down a siege even if we do win, so I need t ofinish building up my troops from our changes to the social structure.

We are expecting a child already with Adelais.

Nubia sends an allaince offer. I decline. We are too far away. I send an alliance offer to Georgia.

They decline, but a Emir of Aleppo sends us a peace offer. They are five provines away, so I decline.

March 17 - Our son is expecting a child.

April 30 - Dwim is back int eh sheikdom of Albania. The ruler died.

I send alliances offers to some local shieks.

My son gained Tough Soldier. Bad for his diplomacy, hsi worst skill got more worse.

Augist 5- Azerbaijan declared war on us.

They have 1027 men. We have 715 or so. Alright, let's see what happens.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:30 AM   #10
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Azerbaijan is a two province shiekdom. I'd love to grab a province. They have 1000 troops is Azerbaijani alone, who knows many in Tabriz.

Im going to play this defensively. When the Azerbaijani troop sbegin to march, I'll mobilize.

August 20 - They begin to march. I mobilize.

Sept 14 - My wife died in labor and the child was lost. If I survive teh war, I'll find another bride on the other side.

Sep 19 - Battle is joined.

They have 1700 troops from Tabriz marching as well. Against my 700. This does not look good for the home team.

October 13 - We win but barely, with just 300 ragged troops to stave off the fresh 1700 Tabriz trrops en route to Suenik. A good time for a peace offer.

October 21 - We lose the Battle of Suenik in one day. Our troops were completely defeated and crushed and the army did not flee, but is gone. They begin the siege of Suenik.

Oct 26 - They decline our peace proposal.

Nove 21 - I accept an alliance offer from Mesopotamia, a Bishopric. A bit too late. I try a deperate attempt to save our lives by pledging fealty to Byzantium.

Decn 16 - We are now a county under the control of the Emperor of Byzantium.

2400 Azerbaijani troops are besieging us. I'd appreciate a little help.

February 1, 1068 - Our province falls.

February 4, 1068 - Azerbaijan demands our surrender, which wer are forced to accept.

Game Over.

That sucked.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:33 AM   #11
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I haven't been smacked around that badly since my first campaign as Glamorgan of two, when England killed me in 1067. Even my first run as Wallachia in EU2 I lasted an hour and a half against the Turks and Transylvania.

Ouch.

There are steps I could have taken. Maybe take one of those allainces earlier. Perhaps swear fealty to Byzantium earlier. Etc.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:46 PM   #12
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

THE DYNASTY IS OVER. I may start again.