Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-14-2021, 01:16 PM   #5801
PilotMan
Head Coach

Yeah... if you follow him on twitter he's fighting people every day.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 03:38 PM   #5802
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It's a shame to watch what he's devolved into. He was the best investigative journalist of the financial crisis, despite not knowing crap about finance and writing for Rolling Stone. Griftopia had five times the actual useful information of The Big Short, despite being half the length. Now it seems he's just another contrarian, picking fights with anyone he can find to remind them that he's smarter than they are.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-14-2021 at 03:39 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 08:57 PM   #5803
RainMaker
General Manager

Police union ousts whistleblower cop who leaked death in custody video
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 07:07 AM   #5804
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

The jury has the case in the Rittenhouse trial, and it is interesting they haven't reached a conclusion yet. It does suggest there is at least one hold out. My guess the hold out(s) want to convict, but maybe the jury is swaying toward conviction on at least one of the counts. It is always hard to tell because you don't have the same perspective in isolation as they have. I imagine the verdict will come in today.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 12:21 PM   #5805
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

This judge isn't just a MAGA, he might actually be Trump in disguise. The way he apparently goes home, reads all of the news about himself and then comes in the next day to get on his soapbox complaining about the coverage of him is uncanny. He doesn't have rabbit ears, he's got Trump ears.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-17-2021 at 12:21 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 12:25 PM   #5806
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The black. What the actual fuck?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 12:36 PM   #5807
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Honestly, following the Abery case, I cannot fathom the defense's strategy. The only thing I can guess is "Try to piss off the judge enough that you get a mistrial" or "Hope you have a secret-KKK member on the jury to hang a verdict." delaying enough that Trump or someone of his ilk is elected in 2024 and pardons him.

I mean, complaining that there are different black pastors in the audience with the family going through a very rough time? Saying "How'd you like it if a bunch of folks in Colonel Sanders's masks were in the gallery"? (I'm pretty sure that wasn't his first thought, but saying "KKK Uniforms" would give the game away.

Not to mention "one of the defense lawyers has concerns there aren’t enough “Bubbas or Joe six-packs” in the group of more than 60 potential jurors." (a jury that has 11 whites and one african-american in a county that's minority-white.)
Old 11-17-2021, 12:49 PM   #5808
RainMaker
General Manager

For podcast listeners, I'd recommend ALAB. Doesn't come out much but what they do put out is great. It's a group of lawyers who are pretty funny and cover different topics in the legal profession. Don't have to really know too much about law to understand.

Anyways, they did one on old judges which I found fascinating. Seems to be relevant in some of our big cases today.

400 Bad Request

For what it's worth, their response to the judge in the Rittenhouse case has been "that's sort of how old judges are". They haven't seen anything abnormal in relation to our justice system besides maybe there needs to be an age limit.
Old 11-17-2021, 12:53 PM   #5809
thesloppy
Pro Starter

The one time I got selected for actual jury duty the judge audibly clipped his toenails behind the bench several times, so I can't claim to be too surprised at any of the antics of the Rittenhouse judge.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 12:57 PM   #5810
RainMaker
General Manager

My jury duty was on a civil case but the judge spent most of his time on his phone. Looked like he was playing a game or something.

I guess it boils down to they are old and have a nice job they can't be fired from. Guessing a lot of people would take a job like that and treat it as a nuissance.
Old 11-17-2021, 01:07 PM   #5811
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
My jury duty was on a civil case but the judge spent most of his time on his phone. Looked like he was playing a game or something.

I guess it boils down to they are old and have a nice job they can't be fired from. Guessing a lot of people would take a job like that and treat it as a nuissance.

My impression is that they've rationalized that they are the person that makes sure the rules are followed, and the content/details of the case itself is completely inconsequential to their role & paying attention could/would only invite bias.
Old 11-17-2021, 02:08 PM   #5812
GrantDawg

The argument now about this video is confusing. Has the jury already seen the video? If so, then how can you stop them from seeing the video again? The argument whether the defense received the correct video in discovery should have been made before it was ever introduced into evidence, no?
Old 11-17-2021, 02:12 PM   #5813
cuervo72
Head Coach

Wait is this where we talk about bad judges?

Man who raped four teenagers gets no jail time, judge says: ‘Incarceration isn’t appropriate’

Quote:
“I’m not ashamed to say that I actually prayed over what is the appropriate sentence in this case because there was great pain. There was great harm. There were multiple crimes committed in the case,” Murphy said, according to WKBW. “It seems to me that a sentence that involves incarceration or partial incarceration isn’t appropriate, so I am going to sentence you to probation.”
Old 11-17-2021, 02:37 PM   #5814
RainMaker
General Manager

Props to the victim's attorney for calling out the bullshit. I know being a rich white guy helps, but letting serial rapists off with probation is pretty insane.

And also seeing that he was given probation before to earn youthful offender status and didn't comply. No consequences for that at all.

Last edited by RainMaker : 11-17-2021 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-17-2021, 02:39 PM   #5815
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post

He's white and lives less than a half a mile from the country club. Nothing to see here.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 02:40 PM   #5816
Thomkal
Head Coach

wow I guess God told him to be nice to your neighbors. I can't read the article (thanks Wash Post), where was this, what were the parents of the raped teen's response?
Old 11-17-2021, 02:41 PM   #5817
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Here is mommy (and I assume this piece of shit is next to her)!

Old 11-17-2021, 02:42 PM   #5818
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
wow I guess God told him to be nice to your neighbors. I can't read the article (thanks Wash Post), where was this, what were the parents of the raped teen's response?

You need to learn the browser refresh and X/kill/stop trick. I get by 95% of paywalls doing this.
Old 11-17-2021, 02:43 PM   #5819
RainMaker
General Manager

Non-paywalled version here.

Man who sexually assaulted 4 teen girls in Lewiston home gets probation | Crime News | buffalonews.com

One of those cases you hope a family member gets justice their own way.
Old 11-17-2021, 02:47 PM   #5820
Thomkal
Head Coach

Thanks guys, I did the whole private window (with Firefox) and that works sometimes, but not always. About to get a new computer, so I'll be back to ask what I need on for things like this
Old 11-17-2021, 02:48 PM   #5821
GrantDawg

Rittenhouse defense calling for a mistrial.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2021, 02:53 PM   #5822
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Thanks guys, I did the whole private window (with Firefox) and that works sometimes, but not always. About to get a new computer, so I'll be back to ask what I need on for things like this

I literally just stop news pages from fully loading in Chrome by using the refresh/X button. There is generally a brief moment between when the article text loads and the paywall code kicks in. It can take a bit to get the timing down, and it's different for different sites/paywalls, but it almost always works. I do this daily for my local news, oops. This does not work for the very advanced paywalls like WSJ.

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 11-17-2021 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-17-2021, 02:56 PM   #5823
Thomkal
Head Coach

read the article and man I get what the judge was trying to do here, but c'mon he already violated an earlier judge's youthful offender rules, doesn't matter much how remorseful he is, if he's mentally ill and just going to do this over and over. And maybe the adults who set all this up to happen will get just probation now too?
Old 11-17-2021, 05:18 PM   #5824
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
read the article and man I get what the judge was trying to do here, but c'mon he already violated an earlier judge's youthful offender rules, doesn't matter much how remorseful he is, if he's mentally ill and just going to do this over and over. And maybe the adults who set all this up to happen will get just probation now too?

Yeah, seems like he was given a massive break early on by being offered youthful offender status. All he had to do was stick to the probation terms.

Instead, he felt he was above the law and apparently he ended up being right. Have a feeling this won't be his last brush with the law.
Old 11-17-2021, 06:01 PM   #5825
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
The one time I got selected for actual jury duty the judge audibly clipped his toenails behind the bench several times, so I can't claim to be too surprised at any of the antics of the Rittenhouse judge.

Amateur

https://medium.com/sex-with-a-side-o...n-f05923a24b80
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 06:09 PM   #5826
GrantDawg

Wrong thread

Last edited by GrantDawg : 11-17-2021 at 06:10 PM.
Old 11-17-2021, 06:22 PM   #5827
thesloppy
Pro Starter

“The grandfather was getting real teary-eyed, and the judge was up there pumping on that pump. It was sickening.”
Old 11-17-2021, 08:00 PM   #5828
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

These comments about judges are disheartening. I thought, possibly naively, that my experience was more the norm. I've had occasion to be in a courtroom a couple times, once as a juror. Every judge I've ever interacted with was professional, as were the attorneys on all sides, the law enforcement officials involved, etc. I've literally never seen anyone do anything I would describe as disinterested or inappropriate, aside from a prospective juror who didn't want to be there and was quickly shown the door.

I have a hard time getting my head around what is really typical, how widespread misbehavior is. It wouldn't suprise me if we just don't really know.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 11-17-2021 at 08:01 PM.
Brian Swartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 08:36 PM   #5829
tarcone
Coordinator

I wonder what this world will look like when the baby boomers are gone

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 09:42 PM   #5830
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
These comments about judges are disheartening. I thought, possibly naively, that my experience was more the norm. I've had occasion to be in a courtroom a couple times, once as a juror. Every judge I've ever interacted with was professional, as were the attorneys on all sides, the law enforcement officials involved, etc. I've literally never seen anyone do anything I would describe as disinterested or inappropriate, aside from a prospective juror who didn't want to be there and was quickly shown the door.

I have a hard time getting my head around what is really typical, how widespread misbehavior is. It wouldn't suprise me if we just don't really know.

Oh man, my jury duty experience was an absolutely terrifying experience, in terms of ever being at the mercy of 'a jury of my peers'. Aside from the toe-clipping judge my jurors included: a co-worker, a young prospective pilot who spent the entire trial doodling pictures of planes in his trial notebook, a vocally unemployed dude who was waaay too happy to have a captive audience of 11 other people, two teenage girls that immediately bonded and ignored the entire proceedings, an old women who asked if she could hug the plaintiff, a bartender at a local restaurant notorious for its cocaine sales who wanted to deny the plaintiff any money because he "knew chicks that had been through way worse".

It was a multi-day, multi-million dollar civil trial and all of the lawyers involved were incompetent morons as well. At some point the judge opened up a defendant to any jury questions. I was like "they can do that?!?" Nobody raised their hand...but me and I had to scribble my question out on paper, hand it to the bailiff and then the judge asked it for me. "Any more questions?" asked the judge and I raised my hand again and he kinda half-sighed and said "Why don't you just ask him?", so I did, after which their attorney immediately asked for a recess, and twenty minutes later they settled.
Old 11-17-2021, 09:47 PM   #5831
PilotMan
Head Coach

I really want to know what that question was now.

Like Steam?

Old 11-17-2021, 10:08 PM   #5832
thesloppy
Pro Starter

It was a civil trial about sexual abuse in a storefront church (grim) that had some loosey-goosey parent organization, and I asked them if they had any kind of established process/program/oversight addressing sexual abuse when ordaining pastors (and they said no).

There was also a point where they kept trying to get the pastor in question on the stand but he claimed to be out-of-state until an informant called in during the middle of the trial and said they had just seen him at a local mall & they sent sheriffs down there to pick him up.

It was like some kinda Pauly Shore movie. A very sad & grim Pauly Shore movie.
Old 11-18-2021, 06:17 AM   #5833
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I wonder what this world will look like when the baby boomers are gone
Utopia.....just kidding. We GenX'ers are pretty much crap.
Old 11-18-2021, 06:31 AM   #5834
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Utopia.....just kidding. We GenX'ers are pretty much crap.

...and I took that personally.

ETA: , just in case you need it to know I'm kidding.

Last edited by Drake : 11-18-2021 at 06:31 AM.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 09:14 AM   #5835
BYU 14
Coordinator

I can't speak for others of my generation, but this Baby Boomer is cool AF
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 09:55 AM   #5836
cuervo72
Head Coach

Eh, everything is going to skip Gen X anyway.
Old 11-18-2021, 11:41 AM   #5837
PilotMan
Head Coach

I've given up on identifying with Gen X, I basically throw in with Millennials now.

Like Steam?

Old 11-18-2021, 11:47 AM   #5838
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Judge in the Rittenhouse trial just said no one from MSNBC is allowed in the courthouse. Claiming he was told someone was attempting to take photos of the jury.
Old 11-18-2021, 11:59 AM   #5839
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Whomever let McMichael testify on his own behalf should never see a courtroom again. good lord was that a takedown by the prosecutor. She eviscerated their defense while also making the guy look like a total buffoon, talking like he felt threatened, acting like he was some kind of LEO and a mental health expert.

I don't agree with people who think Kyle should walk, but I can at least see the logic. If these guys walk it is because of a racist jury.
Old 11-18-2021, 12:06 PM   #5840
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I wonder if he testified based on seeing the reaction to Kyle Rittenhouse testifying.
Old 11-18-2021, 12:43 PM   #5841
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I wonder if he testified based on seeing the reaction to Kyle Rittenhouse testifying.
Possible. I also think they thought the 11 white people on the jury would relate to him. He is like central casting of every blue collar country boy I run into on a daily basis. I listen to his early testimony and thought I felt like I knew the guy.
Old 11-18-2021, 01:48 PM   #5842
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I've given up on identifying with Gen X, I basically throw in with Millennials now.

I think I'm technically a very young Gen Xer but I'm more like an old fart Millennial.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 02:48 PM   #5843
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Judge in the Rittenhouse trial just said no one from MSNBC is allowed in the courthouse. Claiming he was told someone was attempting to take photos of the jury.

Apparently a freelancer claiming he worked for NBC News was behind the bus carrying the jury. He got stopped by the police after running a red light.

Maybe the judge went overboard but then again given the nature of this case I could see him erring on the side of protecting the jury.
Old 11-18-2021, 02:59 PM   #5844
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Apparently a freelancer claiming he worked for NBC News was behind the bus carrying the jury. He got stopped by the police after running a red light.

Maybe the judge went overboard but then again given the nature of this case I could see him erring on the side of protecting the jury.

On it's own, sure, however, there haven't been more than a few questionable moments that felt like protecting one side, rather than neutrality.

Like Steam?

Old 11-18-2021, 03:14 PM   #5845
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
On it's own, sure, however, there haven't been more than a few questionable moments that felt like protecting one side, rather than neutrality.

Which "side" is the judge protecting in this decision?
Old 11-18-2021, 03:18 PM   #5846
PilotMan
Head Coach

You don't think his long diatribe about media and how he's being portrayed in the media was actually related to the outcome of the case? You think he needed to do that in order to determine whether or not the defendant was guilty or not?

Like Steam?

Old 11-18-2021, 03:21 PM   #5847
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
You don't think his long diatribe about media and how he's being portrayed in the media was actually related to the outcome of the case? You think he needed to do that in order to determine whether or not the defendant was guilty or not?

That's a separate and valid question.

My question isn't about that. It's about how throwing out MSNBC is beneficial/detrimental to the prosecution or defense, and whether it favors one or another.
Old 11-18-2021, 04:16 PM   #5848
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

How long can the jury deliberate for before a hung jury becomes a feasible option?
Old 11-18-2021, 04:38 PM   #5849
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

I think a lot of judges are massive narcissists and control freaks who let the power they have go to their heads. So when they get an ounce of scrutiny to which they can't control, they lash out in inappropriate ways.

You've seen the same thing from Alito lately. When his partisan rulings were scrutinized, he had a meltdown of sorts and cried at a bunch of speaking engagements.
Old 11-18-2021, 04:58 PM   #5850
GrantDawg

Nobodyhere, my understanding is usually the jury has to say they feel they can't come to a verdict. Even then, judge often push them to continue to deliberate to try to reach a verdict.
Juries will often go over the whole trial more than once before nqrrowi g down to a final verdict. The only thing the prolonged deliberation tells us is there wasn't a quick unanimous decision.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk