Well The Rock can still cut a promo.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 09:37 PM   #9952
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Well The Rock can still cut a promo.

I dunno, I thought it was a little flat. But maybe I'm grading on a curve.

My exact take was "we now live in a world where Heyman will be a better promo than Rock 10 times out of 10"
Old 02-17-2024, 09:50 AM   #9953
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I dunno, I thought it was a little flat. But maybe I'm grading on a curve.

My exact take was "we now live in a world where Heyman will be a better promo than Rock 10 times out of 10"
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 04:59 PM   #9954
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I got texts from a few of my limey friends to tell me that the RevPro Osprey/Oku match was the greatest match they've ever seen and probably one of the best matches ever. I'm headed to the RevPro site to see if it's streamable now.
Old 02-25-2024, 06:43 PM   #9955
RainMaker
General Manager

Nia Jax might be the new worst wrestler I've ever seen. How did she get a chance to main event a PPV?
Old 02-25-2024, 07:07 PM   #9956
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Nia Jax might be the new worst wrestler I've ever seen. How did she get a chance to main event a PPV?

Definitely not the new worst.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2024, 07:08 PM   #9957
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

She has a long history of injuring her opponents.
Old 02-25-2024, 07:40 PM   #9958
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
How did she get a chance to main event a PPV?

Her being the second cousin (once removed) of The Rock might answer that question.
Old 02-25-2024, 08:15 PM   #9959
RainMaker
General Manager

I mean I'm sure there are worse but maybe not in a PPV main event that large. There are good wrestlers like Asuka they could feed to Rhea.
Old 02-26-2024, 07:38 AM   #9960
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I mean I'm sure there are worse but maybe not in a PPV main event that large. There are good wrestlers like Asuka they could feed to Rhea.

I know we are talking about Nia here so the comparison is moot, but it isn’t like Asuka hasn’t had her chances. She has been champion, even as recently as Summerslam 2003 where she was the defending champion. The reality is Asuka is a hard fit for WWE due to her limited promo ability which caps her upside. I think despite that she’s had a great career in WWE. Wikipedia has her as a 4 time Women’s Champion in WWE and that isn’t even counting NXT. She alap currently is one half of the tag champs.

Again, I’m not comparing her to Nia. This is just a general commentary on Asuka in WWE.
Old 02-26-2024, 05:00 PM   #9961
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

WWE = very entertaining, wrestling not so much
AEW = very good wrestling, entertaining not so much
Old 02-26-2024, 05:23 PM   #9962
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
I know we are talking about Nia here so the comparison is moot, but it isn’t like Asuka hasn’t had her chances. She has been champion, even as recently as Summerslam 2003 where she was the defending champion. The reality is Asuka is a hard fit for WWE due to her limited promo ability which caps her upside. I think despite that she’s had a great career in WWE. Wikipedia has her as a 4 time Women’s Champion in WWE and that isn’t even counting NXT. She alap currently is one half of the tag champs.

Again, I’m not comparing her to Nia. This is just a general commentary on Asuka in WWE.

I didn't mean it to promote Asuka or anything. Rhea was never losing the title before Mania and I think this was just a match to showcase her in front of a stadium crowd in her home country. I just meant it would be nice if they had someone on the roster who could make Rhea look like a million bucks and take the loss. A role that guys like Ziggler were great at.
Old 02-26-2024, 06:41 PM   #9963
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Her being the second cousin (once removed) of The Rock might answer that question.

So less tenuous than any actual relation to any other wrestling Samoan's but still not actual blood relation?
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 08:11 PM   #9964
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
So less tenuous than any actual relation to any other wrestling Samoan's but still not actual blood relation?

Well, she's blood related, it's just distant.

Her dad was a cousin of Rock's grandfather (Peter Maivia)

edit to correct myself: Okay, NOT blood technically. I'd forgotten that his link to Peter Maivia is by adoption (Peter adopted Rock's mother)

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-27-2024 at 08:12 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 01:57 PM   #9965
miami_fan
Coordinator

Tough couple of days for the ol' wresting childhood.

Ole Anderson, Wrestling Legend and Member of the Four Horsemen, Dead at 81

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/...-61-rcna140940
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 04:42 PM   #9966
RainMaker
General Manager

I know Virgil ended up being the butt of jokes later on but his feud with DiBiase is one of the most iconic in WWE history. He was as over as anyone for that period of time.
Old 03-03-2024, 06:24 PM   #9967
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Dear Lord.

My child was so bored that he plunked down for the AEW PPV tonight.

As tragic as it is to see what Jay White has been reduced to, that pales in comparison to the notion that Giant Gonzales 2.0 is getting paid to be perhaps THE least talented wrestler on television outside the WWE.
Old 03-03-2024, 06:28 PM   #9968
RainMaker
General Manager

Are you talking about the Big Show or another giant guy who can't wrestle?
Old 03-03-2024, 06:44 PM   #9969
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Are you talking about the Big Show or another giant guy who can't wrestle?

Satnam (?) Singh

The big stiff that's part of the Jarrett comedy stable
Old 03-03-2024, 07:48 PM   #9970
RainMaker
General Manager

Oh God I don't think I've ever seen him wrestle. Just stand around and occasionally chop someone.
Old 03-03-2024, 08:02 PM   #9971
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Oh God I don't think I've ever seen him wrestle. Just stand around and occasionally chop someone.

Count your blessings, it's worse than I imagined.
Old 03-03-2024, 08:21 PM   #9972
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Depressing turn of events.

I notice that Roderick Strong is starting to get some gray hair.

Roderick Strong was 11 months old when I graduated from high school.

I feel a sudden urge to switch to The Weather Channel and maybe have some prune juice.
Old 03-03-2024, 09:09 PM   #9973
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

You really wanna know just HOW broken things are in AEW?

Toni Storm is a face.

edit to add: Taz "You know I've never been kicked in the lady yam bags"

And that commentary is better than the Storm - Purrazo match. How in the blue fuck do we get to the point where you can have these two work a match that looks like ROH's lamentable attempt at a women's division?

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-03-2024 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-03-2024, 09:35 PM   #9974
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Seeing Will Ospreay reduced to working for AEW is just f'n depressing.

Best in the friggin world at what he does ... in a match that means nothing, same as 95% (or more) of AEW matches.

Ospreay vs Takeshita should be a highlight, the best versus a rising star with a very high ceiling ... even with an eventual predictable turn of events (pun intended) there won't be any real meaning because the overall booking is so friggin bad.

It's just a damned tragedy.

edit to add: Helluva match, which makes it more depressing.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-03-2024 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-03-2024, 10:25 PM   #9975
RainMaker
General Manager

It was a great match. Ospreay is so damn good.
Old 03-03-2024, 10:50 PM   #9976
RainMaker
General Manager

Darby Allin has a death wish. Good lord.
Old 03-03-2024, 11:10 PM   #9977
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Gonna be in the conversation for best retirement match ever for quite a while.

Everybody did their job and with the right setting and setup, that might just be enough.

Do I wish the PPV had been an hour shorter? Yeah.

But I don't come away disappointed with the main event.
Old 03-03-2024, 11:55 PM   #9978
RainMaker
General Manager

AEW has its problems but their PPV shows are usually pretty damn good. That was a flawless main event.
Old 03-04-2024, 07:33 PM   #9979
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

WWE acknowledged Sting’s retirement which I didn’t expect as well as his match “last night.”
Old 03-04-2024, 07:35 PM   #9980
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
WWE acknowledged Sting’s retirement which I didn’t expect as well as his match “last night.”

Yep, good on them for that.

And on a related note, some sources today seem to be saying that the reason no WWE talent attended last night is because AEW never asked. (we only heard from Nash, afaik, that WWE refused to allow it)
Old 03-04-2024, 07:41 PM   #9981
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

There probably aren't that many things in wrestling right now that'd be more satisfying than watching Gunther chop Dirty Dom.

THAT'S entertainment
Old 03-07-2024, 01:03 PM   #9982
RainMaker
General Manager

So AEW brought Jay White in who holds the secondary 6-man tag belts. Now they have Okada who they are going to have feud for Eddie Kingston's new midcard title? Not an expert on booking but feels like those two should be a bit higher up on the card.
Old 03-07-2024, 01:19 PM   #9983
RainMaker
General Manager

There's also an ROH TV Champion even though they don't have a TV show and I guess Ospreay fought the champion in the main event last night? Bryan Danielson came out after which should be an incredible future match.
Old 03-07-2024, 02:23 PM   #9984
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So AEW brought Jay White in who holds the secondary 6-man tag belts. Now they have Okada who they are going to have feud for Eddie Kingston's new midcard title? Not an expert on booking but feels like those two should be a bit higher up on the card.

Instead of chanting AEW, fans who know should probably chant TEW .. .because that's basically what it is: a money mark with virtually unlimited roster pretending to book a promotion
Old 03-07-2024, 02:28 PM   #9985
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Funny thing about the Okada debut, aside from tying him to the Bucks, it's something I tossed out as a casual prediction here in the batcave about a week ago.

Specifically that he would come in as a heel, something he would have struggled to do in Japan.

It's actually a pretty natural fit, he's always felt to me like his default setting was Heel.
Old 03-07-2024, 02:45 PM   #9986
RainMaker
General Manager

Yeah, heel Okada is very interesting. He kind of has a natural look for it. And it makes sense to pair him with people who can talk because I'm not sure how good his English is (or if he can pull off a heel character in it).

I don't really understand the Don Callis group in AEW. He just manages a group of wrestlers? Some are heels and some are faces? Extra weird because I don't think someone like Ospreay needs a manager who can talk. Feels like he should be the leader of any faction.
Old 03-07-2024, 03:34 PM   #9987
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Okada's English might as well be non-existent. Or at least we've never seen more than a halting few words from him ever (and those were delivered phonetically)

Thing is, I don't think the Bucks make good mouthpieces. They're good at skits, at promos maybe not so much.

Callis group are all heels, aside from the Ospreay association and they're setting up a group turn on him rather obviously (as well as some subtlety) in order to cement him as a pure face.

It's hard to tell in AEW sometimes, as faces get booed & heels can get cheered, but yeah his group are all heels (after the attack on Omega, which secured him firmly as a face)
Old 03-07-2024, 03:35 PM   #9988
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Okay, if the IWC stuff is correct, I may crap on Okada's decision from a creative standpoint but as a business move ...

Rumor today is that his deal is worth $4.5m / year for 3 years.
Old 03-07-2024, 03:51 PM   #9989
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Okay, if the IWC stuff is correct, I may crap on Okada's decision from a creative standpoint but as a business move ...

Rumor today is that his deal is worth $4.5m / year for 3 years.

That’s some WCW level stuff right there.

Tony will wind up with massive contracts on guys like Okada and won’t be able to re-up MJF and Osprey when their next contracts are due.

This isn’t a dig at Okada. He’s great at what he does and was a made man in Japan but the man doesn’t speak any English. I know AEW clearly doesn’t care about mainstream appeal but a guy like Okada isn’t going to have the upside in the US that a guy like those other two do.

It’s kind of like Fedor in MMA. He was great at what he did but we never got to see him in UFC in part because the smaller promotions were all willing to overpay for him based on what he did in Japan.
Old 03-07-2024, 04:01 PM   #9990
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I know AEW clearly doesn’t care about mainstream appeal but a guy like Okada isn’t going to have the upside in the US that a guy like those other two do.

Maybe not much appeal to the non-mainstream either.

Ratings fell last week for the expected Ospreay debut, ratings fell again this week for the somewhat anticipated Okada debut.

Both had limited appeal in the U.S., and when you reduce that by whatever portion of people (like me) have little to no interest in seeing them work random midcard matches, what's the point other than gottacatchemall?
Old 03-07-2024, 04:39 PM   #9991
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

AEW really needs a title and roster prune. When we regularly watched it it was almost impossible for my kids to follow as guys wouldn’t appear for weeks at a time. I’d also have to constantly explain all the titles too. The product is so confusing for a new viewer or especially one that doesn’t know anything about where some of these guys came from(luckily I’m pretty familiar with New Japan).

There really is a built in expectation from Tony that you have been following wrestling on a global scale for atleast the last 5-10 years. Add to that the third show and $50 PPVs becoming more frequent and it all just became too much to follow.

Last edited by dubb93 : 03-07-2024 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-07-2024, 04:45 PM   #9992
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
AEW really needs a title and roster prune. When we regularly watched it it was almost impossible for my kids to follow as guys wouldn’t appear for weeks at a time. I’d also have to constantly explain all the titles too. The product is so confusing for a new viewer or especially one that doesn’t know anything about where some of these guys came from(luckily I’m pretty familiar with New Japan).

There really is a built in expectation from Tony that you have been following wrestling on a global scale for atleast the last 5-10 years. Add to that the third show and $50 PPVs becoming more frequent and it all just became too much to follow.

The kids definitely shouldn't feel bad, the titles are confusing to people who actually follow the show(s) lol.

And next year I guess it's 10 scheduled $50 PPVs

And that global follower expectation is really where TK misses the boat. It's like that thing I say about politics "you can wish things were a certain way ... but you better not lose sight of actual reality".
Old 03-07-2024, 05:20 PM   #9993
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Okada's English might as well be non-existent. Or at least we've never seen more than a halting few words from him ever (and those were delivered phonetically)

Thing is, I don't think the Bucks make good mouthpieces. They're good at skits, at promos maybe not so much.

Callis group are all heels, aside from the Ospreay association and they're setting up a group turn on him rather obviously (as well as some subtlety) in order to cement him as a pure face.

It's hard to tell in AEW sometimes, as faces get booed & heels can get cheered, but yeah his group are all heels (after the attack on Omega, which secured him firmly as a face)

That makes sense if they turn on Ospreay. He sure seemed to work as a face the other night.
Old 03-07-2024, 05:29 PM   #9994
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That makes sense if they turn on Ospreay. He sure seemed to work as a face the other night.

He arrived with major face momentum, so the "everybody watches everything" logic would suggest he had to come in working face.

Okada is maybe treated differently since his departure felt like more of a "clean break" rather than the highly emotional "we love you right now in this moment" & "I promise I will be back" farewell of Ospreay.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-07-2024 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-07-2024, 06:03 PM   #9995
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

So what have they done with Jay White? I remember watching him become the switchblade in NJPW and thinking he had a solid future in the US at the top of the card. I really haven’t followed AEW very closely since he debuted though. He seems like a guy that would need the time to do quite a bit of character work though and AEW that can be hard to come by with the roster size.

Last edited by dubb93 : 03-07-2024 at 06:03 PM.
Old 03-07-2024, 06:55 PM   #9996
RainMaker
General Manager

They have him working on the B or C show and he's part of the secondary trios title scene.
Old 03-07-2024, 07:03 PM   #9997
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

Here are the men's titles in the company.

AEW World
AEW TNT
AEW International
AEW Continental
FTW
AEW Tag
AEW Trios
ROH World
ROH TV
ROH Tag
ROH Trios
ROH Pure

Kingston carries around the NJPW Strong Openwieght title. The company has featured title matches for the Impact World and Tag Titles. Multiple wrestlers in the company have held those while on AEW TV (Omega, Christian, Anderson/Gallows, FTR). You have had the AAA tag titles defended on the show (FTR). Plus RevPro, Progress, and a slew of other titles have appeared for various wrestlers. I think the NJPW Tag and US titles have been defended on the shows too.

I think it's kind of cool when they have a newer wrestler or an enhancement talent that carries some smaller promotion's belt to the ring. Gives them a little credibility for what is just a match to show off another talent. But I don't think you should have 15-20 different titles appearing in your promotion at one time. And that's just the men!
Old 03-07-2024, 08:28 PM   #9998
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

He was a heel in the faction as a visitor, so they're using this as a springboard to his full-time career in AEW. He really needs to be THE MAN in the company and win the title at Wembley.

It could have been a short career based on that near-botch of the brainbuster onto the top turnbuckle, that move was insane and too risky for my taste.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 08:31 PM   #9999
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
They have him working on the B or C show and he's part of the secondary trios title scene.

I definitely think we'll see more from Jay White at some point. They're not putting a lot of losses on him, but he is definitely under-used right now. The faction is not doing any of them any favors. Even the Gunns were looking better and better as a tag team before they were forced to carry Jay White cardboard cutouts everywhere.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 01:06 PM   #10000
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Nice moment for Mercedes Mone last night, it's cool to see hometown heroes get a welcome like that.