Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-10-2023, 11:38 AM   #501
Edward64
Head Coach

Was on a plane and sat beside a big guy in a biker leather vest, both arms all tatted up.

I was reading on my kindle, he was playing chess on his smartphone. I know I'm stereotyping but it struck me as funny.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 07:06 PM   #502
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Had my first Oh shit moment on a plane. On Thursday, after sitting on the runway at Newark for 2 hours, we finally made it to Atlanta. As we were just about to land, gear down, nose up, really close to the ground, we shot up and aborted the landing. The pilot told us that the runway directions had been switched and we now had to go around. By the time we were exiting, after the pilot spoke to the attendants, the story was we were coming in too fast to land.

I wonder if we were about to land as another plane was coming from the other direction.
Old 07-10-2023, 07:09 PM   #503
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Damn, that's scary.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 10:34 PM   #504
Edward64
Head Coach

I don't know how this can still happen nowadays. The article wasn't very clear but sounds like the cool air wasn't flowing or limited?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...heat-rcna95050
Quote:
Krista Garvin, a field producer for Fox News, said she was on the flight when the incident unfolded, calling it an "INSANE experience." She said a number of passengers passed out due to the heat.

In a series of tweets, Garvin said the flight was initially delayed and then once passengers were finally able to board, they were left sitting for "almost 3 hours on a hot plane in 111 degree weather" awaiting takeoff.

The plane ultimately had to head back to the gate because people were "passing out," she said.
Sounds like the pilots were well aware though.

Quote:
In video she shared on Twitter, a voice could be heard on the plane's intercom apologizing "for the situation being very hot back there." NBC News was not immediately able to independently verify the video and Garvin did not immediately respond to an overnight request for comment.

I can't believe passengers were sitting inside the plane with no/limited air for 3 hours and 111 degrees outside. There has to be more to this story but regardless ... at best there was poor judgement here, at worst, a nice lawsuit to remind Delta this behavior is unacceptable.
Old 07-20-2023, 07:47 AM   #505
Ksyrup

My daughter met some dude working out who goes to her college and is enrolled in their aviation program. Guessing they go on a date soon. I feel like I need some advice from Pilotman, or at least a psychological profile.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 07-20-2023, 11:33 AM   #506
Edward64
Head Coach

A little more info. It's not clear to me if they still at the gate or queued up behind planes on the tarmac.

https://simpleflying.com/passengers-...letter_popup=1
Quote:
The plane was stuck on the ground without air conditioning for nearly four hours.

On July 17th, Delta flight DL555 was scheduled to depart Harry Reid International Airport (LAS) at around 13:45 local time en route to Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL). However, the flight found itself stuck in a queue behind more than a dozen other flights, forcing it to wait on the apron.

The Boeing 757s air conditioning system was not functioning as the aircraft baked under the Las Vegas summer heat. Temperatures reached triple figures (between 111 and 115 degrees Fahrenheit), and cabin conditions soon became unbearable.
So 2 hours in, the pilots know some passengers may be in distress. Some on reddit was saying if there is not AC for the passengers, there's no AC for the pilots.

Quote:
About two hours in, several passengers began to suffer ill effects from the heat - the pilot instructed the cabin to "hit your call button if you’re having a medical emergency," and flight attendants were seen issuing oxygen masks to those worst affected.
Wonder how long it was between the "two hours in" and when the pilot finally made the call? 5 min, another 30 min, another 60 min?

Quote:
The situation worsened, with multiple passengers losing consciousness and some soiling themselves - the pilot later said that some of the flight attendants had fallen ill, so the flight may not be able to leave at all. Paramedics boarded the aircraft equipped with stretchers, and all passengers would eventually disembark.
Yeah bub, no kidding, the least you could do. Let me see if I can find Morgan & Morgan in my rolodex.

Quote:
Delta added that it had issued a direct apology to all passengers on the flight, as well as compensation and help getting booked on other flights.

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-20-2023 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-20-2023, 12:06 PM   #507
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
My daughter met some dude working out who goes to her college and is enrolled in their aviation program. Guessing they go on a date soon. I feel like I need some advice from Pilotman, or at least a psychological profile.

Pilots are assholes.

Is this at EKU?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 12:34 PM   #508
Ksyrup

Yep!
Old 07-22-2023, 09:27 AM   #509
Edward64
Head Coach

The top 10 airports in the world for food.

Incheon is worthy. I guess Atlanta also (most times I just eat fast food there). Agree with Narita. Agree with Chicago. Been a while since I've been to Singapore but can easily believe it.

The one that surprises me is DFW. Maybe with how its spread out, I never found DFW convenient for food so never saw a variety of restaurants. No European airports either.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/07/22/best...ge-report.html
Quote:
  1. Incheon International Airport, South Korea
  2. Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, United States
  3. Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport, Taiwan
  4. Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport, United States
  5. Jeju International Airport, South Korea
  6. Narita International Airport, Japan
  7. Tokyo International Airport, Japan
  8. Chicago O’Hare International Airport, United States
  9. Los Angeles International Airport, United States
  10. Singapore Changi Airport, Singapore

Not sure I agree with the below ranking criteria though (but need to know the weighting of each).

Quote:
Radical Storage, a luggage storage service and travel tip provider, ranked the best airports for food in the world from an analysis of more than 1.2 million passenger reviews. The ranking measured the following data points for the top 100 airports:
  1. Number of eateries (restaurants and cafés) available to passengers.
  2. Average price of a main meal or lunch item in each airport.
  3. The average rating of eateries on Google Maps.
  4. Number of eateries that offer vegan and vegetarian options.
  5. Number of eateries that offer gluten-free options.

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-22-2023 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-22-2023, 09:30 AM   #510
MJ4H
Coordinator

We are in the early stages of considering/planning a vacation to Japan next summer. For anyone who's been or is in the area, I'd love advice and thoughts on any part of the process.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 06:37 PM   #511
miked
College Starter

Kyoto rocked, stay at a Ryokan for a great experience. Also, pick one area of Tokyo and hang out for 2-3 days, but it is soooooo large you cannot possibly see more than a few parts. We stayed in Shinjuku and hit the Tokyo Tower and lots of fun restaurants. In Kyoto, make sure you see Arashiyama Forest (the bamboo forest) and visit the Nishiki Market.
Old 07-26-2023, 05:12 PM   #512
Ksyrup

If anyone has a collection of Delta SkyMiles and would like to travel to Australia, Delta has a deal right now from quite a few cities in the US for Main Cabin tickets priced at 68K miles for a round trip ticket, for dates through March. I priced 2 tickets in mid-January which is during the Australian Open and we could fly from Cincinnati to Sydney for $136K miles and $245. If I hadn't already booked a cruise with my parents for the end of January, I'd jump on this deal.
Old 07-28-2023, 11:28 AM   #513
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
PSA to potheads. Don't try it in Singapore, go to Thailand instead.

Last time I flew into Singapore, they made an announcement before landing about drugs and the death penalty. I could just hear the toilets flushing.

This guy was a Singaporean national. I suspect US and European smugglers will get off easier.

Singapore doing its thing.

Quote:
Singapore has executed its first woman in nearly two decades for drug trafficking, amid protests from anti-death penalty advocates that say the punishment doesn't deter the use or availability of drugs.

Saridewi Binte Djamani, 45, was hanged Friday after being convicted in 2018 of possessing "not less than 30.72" grams of heroin, according to Singapore's Central Narcotics Bureau.

"The Misuse of Drugs Act provides for the death penalty if the amount of diamorphine trafficked is more than 15 grammes," the bureau said in a statement. "Thirty-point-seventy-two grammes of diamorphine is more than twice that amount, and is sufficient to feed the addiction of about 370 abusers for a week."

FWIW. Taylor Swift, Backstreet Boys, Sting, OneRepublic etc. are scheduled to tour 2023 & 2024. Somehow, I'm thinking they & crew will get a pass or won't be looked at too hard. But if they did and it went public, it will be fascinating how that'll play out.
Old 07-28-2023, 04:33 PM   #514
miami_fan
Coordinator

My neighbors went on a ten day guided tour of Rome, Venice. and Florence. Here is my annual advisory for those who have grown accustomed to central A/C in their living space 24 hours a day and are planing to go to Europe on vacation during the summer. Make sure that A/C is listed among the amenities of your hotel room, Air BnB or wherever you are staying. Evidently, some of the people they are traveling with did not get the memo and now are a bit cranky during their travels.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 04:38 PM   #515
Edward64
Head Coach

I stayed at a couple AirBnB in Australia. No central air. I gave good feedback but for the private feedback I said something like "for some of your US guests, I suggest you have a floor fan to help circulate the air".
Old 08-01-2023, 10:04 PM   #516
Edward64
Head Coach

PSA. Just my observation and it may help you ...

Planning on traveling overseas Feb 2024. Using Google Travel, I favorited a destination/start/end for Feb 1 and current price of $1,300.

As I check everyday, I can see discounted fares of $1,050 "move" from Dec into Jan. The discount fares of $1,050 that were in Dec, have now moved into week of Jan 21, and the Dec fares have reverted back higher.

It's like a "discounted fare wave" that moves through the months. I expect it to move into Feb soon and I'll buy then.

I've never paid attention/noticed this before so don't know if this is typical. It may be one off but thought to share my observations.
Old 08-17-2023, 04:39 PM   #517
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
My mom and dad's flight just took off for Frankfurt. They won't be back in the US until November 8th.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 06:33 PM   #518
Edward64
Head Coach

Nice.

I was in Frankfurt for some business years ago. Found out blood sausage does not agree with me. I felt bad leaving most of it untouched in a local tavern.
Old 08-18-2023, 10:45 AM   #519
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
They had an uneventful flight and got there just fine. They had an empty seat in their row, so were able to stretch out. Now their struggle is to stay awake until night time, to get their sleep cycles set to European time. They are staying in Frankfurt for 4 days to acclimate, before starting to take the train all over Europe.
Old 08-19-2023, 08:11 AM   #520
Edward64
Head Coach

I renewed my Global Entry and wife applied for for it. Because I was previously approved, got the renewal approval in a couple days.

My wife got her "conditional approval" pretty quick also. However, the in-person interview at Hartsfield airport (the only place in GA) is booked through next April (she stopped looking after that). So she's started looking at other cities. DC is a possibility because she has a sister there and has been wanting to visit her.

PSA. If you are applying for Global Entry, be prepared to wait a long time for the in-person interview.

Last edited by Edward64 : 08-19-2023 at 08:11 AM.
Old 08-19-2023, 12:49 PM   #521
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Took my son to the airport this morning, and was heading toward the Southwest terminal. He said "wait, you need to go the north terminal because I'm flying Delta." I responded "Oh, sorry. I didn't see the monocle and top hat, Mr. Monopoly."
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 12:09 PM   #522
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Dropped my folks off at ORD this morning for their flight back to Maine.

When they came in last week (on American), they deplaned and an hour later no bags from the flight had appeared on any carousel when suddenly the arrival flight # disappeared from the various boards. First time I've seen that happen. Whole plane without bags.

They appeared another 30 minutes later, but it was pretty annoying.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 01:02 AM   #523
Ksyrup

The Alaska cruise we're on is hosting about 230 American Airlines pilots. I feel like we're in pretty safe hands, navigation-wise.

Weather has been great so far but starting Monday it's going to suck. We'll hopefully get through Ketchikan tomorrow but then the rain comes and probably doesn't let up until we head back.
Old 09-10-2023, 08:08 AM   #524
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Enjoy! Alaska is amazing
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 01:30 PM   #525
Ksyrup

We're flying back today from Seattle. Alaska cruise was terrific. Weather cooperated for the most part - worst was overcast/fog and spitting rain but got to do everything we planned. We saw that seaplane excursions got cancelled in Juneau but we did whale watching and that did not disappoint. Glacier viewing was touch-and-go but fog lifted and rain stopped so that we could get about a mile from Dawes which was amazing. It's hard to believe how big glaciers are because the ships can only get a couple miles from the glacier and it feels like it's way closer.

Celebrity was phenomenal. We had a Retreat suite which obviously made it even better but going forward, cruises are getting so popular that we are likely priced out of that kind of cabin for a while. We booked this a year ago and right now the same cabin (on a newer ship) for the same week and itinerary next September is 75% more expensive. I can't justify that kind of price. I'd rather sacrifice the amenities and preferential treatment to be able to vacation more often rather than putting it all into one trip every 2-3 years. Hopefully it settles back into pre-Covid pricing once everyone gets their pent up Covid travel out of their system.

Seattle was great. Day before the cruise we did all of the touristy stuff (needle, pike place market) and after we debarked Friday morning, we stayed until this morning. Went to Snoqualmie Falls and a Mariners game Friday and then Mt. Rainier for some hiking yesterday. Both days sunny and 80s.

On a separate travel note, Delta laid the hammer down on airline loyalty last week and those who value those kind of perks are mostly screwed going forward unless you fly a ton and buy expensive seats. The new "simplified" medallion tiers and cutbacks on perks you get for the Delta credit cards are ridiculous. They will definitely cut down on Sky Club overcrowding because only the overseas business travellers and those who are willing to spend $75K+ on their Delta cards will have unlimited access. We're likely cancelling my wife's Delta Platinum card and I'll be more open to flying other airlines when the itinerary makes sense because chasing silver or platinum status (which I've had for 5+ years) is a pipe dream with these changes. Airline status isn't worth chasing anymore. I'm sure if this is successful for Delta other airlines will follow suit. Sucks.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-17-2023 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-17-2023, 01:58 PM   #526
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Seattle was great. Day before the cruise we did all of the touristy stuff (needle, pike place market) and after we debarked Friday morning, we stayed until this morning. Went to Snoqualmie Falls and a Mariners game Friday and then Mt. Rainier for some hiking yesterday. Both days sunny and 80s.

solid list.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 02:06 PM   #527
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
On a separate travel note, Delta laid the hammer down on airline loyalty last week and those who value those kind of perks are mostly screwed going forward unless you fly a ton and buy expensive seats. The new "simplified" medallion tiers and cutbacks on perks you get for the Delta credit cards are ridiculous. They will definitely cut down on Sky Club overcrowding because only the overseas business travellers and those who are willing to spend $75K+ on their Delta cards will have unlimited access. We're likely cancelling my wife's Delta Platinum card and I'll be more open to flying other airlines when the itinerary makes sense because chasing silver or platinum status (which I've had for 5+ years) is a pipe dream with these changes. Airline status isn't worth chasing anymore. I'm sure if this is successful for Delta other airlines will follow suit. Sucks.

No longer chasing the SkyMiles (but did get up to 1.5M SkyMiles). I've been thinking about getting the Chase Reserve or AMEX Platinum which will get me into some lounges but don't travel enough right now to warrant the $500+ fees.

I can only remember a couple domestic lounges that were memorable in food or service. I have been to some international lounges that were fantastic (especially the showers!).
Old 09-17-2023, 03:46 PM   #528
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm sure if this is successful for Delta other airlines will follow suit. Sucks.

Delta is actually following pretty closely to what American did last year. It's expected the everyone else will largely follow suit (thought "everyone else" really doesn't include all that many players when you figure those two alone are 1/3rd of the market share)
Old 09-17-2023, 04:14 PM   #529
Ksyrup

Quote:
No longer chasing the SkyMiles (but did get up to 1.5M SkyMiles). I've been thinking about getting the Chase Reserve or AMEX Platinum which will get me into some lounges but don't travel enough right now to warrant the $500+ fees.

I can only remember a couple domestic lounges that were memorable in food or service. I have been to some international lounges that were fantastic (especially the showers!).

I have Chase Reserve and love it for the flexibility of how many partners I can transfer points to. Also, I think the fee is $595 but you get an automatic $300 credit for any travel you book to the card every year so if you travel at all, the fee is down to $295 in a blink. Plus if you book travel with the card you get 3X points and 5X or 10X for booking travel through their portal (which I've used most frequently with success for car and hotel rentals).

We're going to London and Paris next May and used Chase points to book lie-flat business class seats on Air Canada out of Toronto and Delta miles to get us to Toronto. If I lived closer to a bigger city I probably wouldn't have even needed the Delta flights but for a total of about $750 and 250K points/miles, we're traveling comfortably overseas. Can't beat that.
Old 09-17-2023, 04:16 PM   #530
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Delta is actually following pretty closely to what American did last year. It's expected the everyone else will largely follow suit (thought "everyone else" really doesn't include all that many players when you figure those two alone are 1/3rd of the market share)

Delta has surpassed what AA has done, according to most industry commentators, primarily because Delta is so far ahead of all US competitors with its offerings that it can roll out this kind of changes and essentially dare people to go to it's competitors and receive inferior service.
Old 09-17-2023, 04:33 PM   #531
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I flew to Chicago and back from DC(A) on United and I was surprised how inferior their service and amenities are compared to other airlines - Southwest for example. No in flight entertainment, drink service w/ no ice, food was $10 for a box of shit that expired in 2018.

I'll have to decide next time if I hate flying United or hate driving to BWI less.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2023, 04:41 PM   #532
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
I have Chase Reserve and love it for the flexibility of how many partners I can transfer points to. Also, I think the fee is $595 but you get an automatic $300 credit for any travel you book to the card every year so if you travel at all, the fee is down to $295 in a blink. Plus if you book travel with the card you get 3X points and 5X or 10X for booking travel through their portal (which I've used most frequently with success for car and hotel rentals).

This is 100% us as well. I like not being tied to a particular airline, and honestly, as you can see from the Delta conversation, unless you're traveling a lot for work, you're not going to see a lot of benefit from a particular airline's program anymore.
Old 09-17-2023, 04:44 PM   #533
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

United & American are equal flavors of terrible, IMO, especially for domestic service, even including non-economy class travel. And honestly, international isn't much better unless you're First, sometimes.

These days I just view it as a bus that happens to go through the air.
Old 09-17-2023, 04:56 PM   #534
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
These days I just view it as a bus that happens to go through the air.

This is a great analogy. I always say we're cattle but admittedly that is an exaggeration. Riding in a bus is pretty darn accurate (including the uncomfortable seats).

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-17-2023 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-28-2023, 07:43 AM   #535
Ksyrup

Looks like Delta realizes they stepped in it with the drastic changes they made to the SkyMiles program and the CEO has said modifications are coming in the next few weeks.

Hard to understand how you can implement something like this and not expect severe backlash. Most of the value from the program comes from upgrades, free baggage, etc. But if you have to buy multiple 1st class tickets to get elite status, and those tickets come with most of the benefits of elite status, why does anyone need to qualify for elite status? The spending requirements are ridiculous anyway, but why would I spend $150K+ on a Delta AmEx plus fly 1st class a ton just to get the incremental benefits of platinum or elite status? Sky Club access is definitely a problem, but I'd argue that once you cycle out pandemic qualifiers (due to Delta allowing MQMs to rollover multiple years), some of that is going to go away. It's kinda like college sports with the extra COVID year - that situation created a glut of players because of the extra year that will eventually be weeded out of the system entirely.

Throw on top of all that, that Delta SkyPesos (as they are derisively called) have been significantly devalued over the years, and it's also a matter of losing value by putting that much spending on a Delta CC when you can get way more value out of transferrable points on other cards. It's a double whammy and it's hard to believe Delta thought this would be acceptable.

Saying all that, I'm sure the modifications are not going to be substantial. And perhaps this was the strategy - hit them with the worst case scenario, take a PR hit, backtrack a little to regain a bit of PR and at the end of the day, still get 95% of what you intended with the changes.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-28-2023 at 07:44 AM.
Old 09-28-2023, 08:07 AM   #536
bhlloy
Coordinator

It seems to me like maybe you are misjudging what the value of these programs is to the airlines though? I had gold (or whatever sky miles equivalent is) back when I was flying LA to Atlanta 3 times a month in 2018… but I was only flying economy, those flights were always rammed, was in the 70s for upgrades, waited in line with 3/4 of the plane in the line for group 2, used the free lounge access to work. I very much doubt Delta gave a flying shit if I decided I was going to take my $1500 a month to American or United.

If they have actively lost one whale who is purchasing multiple first class flights a month who feels the program is devalued, the lounges are too crowded and is sick of waiting with 20 other people in group A because of easy to hit bonus programs and COVID rollovers, that spend absolutely dwarfs losing 100 “normal” people. And realistically, they aren’t losing 100 of those people anyway because most will choose based on price and convenience anyway, same as they always did.

Not saying it’s right, but I think you hit the nail on the head with your last comment - they will try to lower the PR hit while ending up doing what they wanted to do anyway, because they know the economics are in their favor either way.

Last edited by bhlloy : 09-28-2023 at 08:08 AM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 02:01 PM   #537
Ksyrup

They will care (and do care) if it results in people cancelling their AmEx credit cards because they make about $6-7B a year on selling benefits to AmEx and expect that to rise to $10B. All of a sudden, they devalued the program that drives AmEx CC use to the point where it doesn't make sense for most people to chase airline status. That's got to hurt their projections and I think that's the main driver for acknowledging they went too far.
Old 09-29-2023, 10:04 AM   #538
JeeberD
General Manager

Looks like I'll be rejoining the industry! My old boss from my old job with a regional airline recently got a job at a mainline airline. A few weeks in to his new job he reached out to me to discuss working for him again. I just signed the offer letter a few minutes ago. I LOVED working for him, I just didn't appreciate the way the company treated me (and the rest of their employees). This airline has a reputation for a great company culture, so hopefully it's a better fit!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 10:35 AM   #539
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Ok, who forgot their Patriotic undies and decided to Porky Pig it on Spirit?

Spirit Airlines passenger stands in line for flight NAKED from waist down in bizarre clip - Mirror Online
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2023, 09:02 PM   #540
Ksyrup

Flying back to Dallas to see my parents again and I've noticed a definite uptick in people asking others to switch seats. It hasn't happened to me all that often, but it just did.

I always pick an aisle seat if possible. I'm in my seat and a woman is in the window seat. Middle seat is open. Dude comes up and asks if I'm with her and I'm like, no. So despite that he still asks if I mind moving over so he can sit in my seat and I'm like, no thanks, I prefer the aisle seat. He didn't say anything and took his seat but WTF? Who wants a middle seat? You got your wife or kid sitting across the aisle, I might consider it. Fat dude who didn't get the seat he wanted? Sorry.

I suppose if you don't ask the answer is always no, but I guess I'm just not that pushy a person to think that's OK.
Old 09-29-2023, 10:21 PM   #541
molson
General Manager

I don't think I could handle it politely if someone asked me to switch to a middle.

Hell I'm not booking a flight if only a middle seat is available.
molson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 12:10 PM   #542
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I've met a lot of people who go through life always asking these types of questions that benefit themselves at the expense of others. It's annoying, especially when you see someone who's too polite or has too low self-esteem and gives in.
Old 10-01-2023, 11:44 AM   #543
Edward64
Head Coach

Hmmm, this is a little concerning re: GPS spoofing close to Iran. The concern is aircraft may be fooled into entering Iranian airspace and the possible repercussions. Article doesn't speculate who could be behind this.

Increasing Fake GPS Signals Near Iran Prompt FAA Alert | Aviation International News
Quote:
The FAA last night issued a warning to operators of “safety of flight risk to civil aviation operations” in light of the growing number of GPS spoofing incidences along a flight path through Iraq alongside the Iranian border, according to the Ops Group.

Earlier this week, the Ops Group alerted that it had tracked incidents where fake GPS signals were transmitted to about a dozen business jets and airliners traveling along airway UM688, and many of them lost navigation capability.

Since then, Ops Group said it continues to receive such reports—with the number growing to 20 of nearly identical situations. “The impact of the nav failures is becoming clearer, with one operator almost entering Iranian airspace without clearance, and another left requiring ATC vectors all the way to their destination in Doha,” the operational specialist said.
Quote:
Ops Group emphasized the security risk with these failures, given that Iran has two large missile bases just over the border. And while the incidents can be resolved with ATC help, any sort of other failure could make the workload extreme.
Old 10-03-2023, 04:33 PM   #544
Ksyrup

Flying 1st class back home from a conference in San Antonio. Family of 5 sitting around me - mom, dad and 3 kids I'd say 2, 6, and 8 maybe? Dad sitting next to me and mom and youngest across the aisle. Kid starts howling, dad offers to take him. He's sitting on Dad's lap and starts squirming and dumps a vodka and cranberry in my lap. About a 3 hour flight. We haven't even taken off yet.

By the way, first time in San Antonio airport and it sucks. Seems way old and too small for the size of city. Not enough seats or room in waiting areas and people are standing against the walls all the way down the terminal. Security lines were way more confusing than they needed to be. Not impressed.
Old 10-10-2023, 08:29 AM   #545
Ksyrup

FYI Delta is having a nice SkyMiles sale on flights to Auckland NZ from November through May. Seems to be pretty decent availability. Since there's no penalty for cancelling, I just booked a 10 day trip in February for 108K miles and $189 for the wife and me. If we can go, great. If not, I'll just cancel.
Old 10-10-2023, 08:36 AM   #546
Edward64
Head Coach

Nice. I'm thinking of Europe next year if it works out.

I still have about 90k SkyMiles left. I noticed I don't get points anymore for the cheap flight so probably won't be accruing any more anytime soon.

BTW - can you share the site where you are finding deals?
Old 10-10-2023, 08:41 AM   #547
cartman
Death Herald

I got back from my trip to Europe yesterday. Flew Turkish Airlines there and back. Their business class (no first class) offering was excellent. They had an in-flight chef, and the food was really, really good. The seats were great as well, with a 24 inch touchscreen for entertainment.

It was my first time using Global Entry, and it is incredible. It took 15 minutes to get off the plane, go through passport control, get my bags, and through customs.
Old 10-10-2023, 08:59 AM   #548
Ksyrup

Quote:

I still have about 90k SkyMiles left. I noticed I don't get points anymore for the cheap flight so probably won't be accruing any more anytime soon.

BTW - can you share the site where you are finding deals?

I have a subscription to Thrifty Traveler. I don't recall the cost or what you get for just a regular subscription compared to the premium but I find that it's worth it.

Bonus for me on those flights - I got automatically upgraded to Comfort+ on 5 of the 6 flights. Sweet!
Old 10-10-2023, 07:28 PM   #549
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
FYI Delta is having a nice SkyMiles sale on flights to Auckland NZ from November through May. Seems to be pretty decent availability. Since there's no penalty for cancelling, I just booked a 10 day trip in February for 108K miles and $189 for the wife and me. If we can go, great. If not, I'll just cancel.

Holy crap, that's a good deal! What's the routing?

We loved our trip to NZ years ago. You're going to have a great time.
Old 10-10-2023, 07:30 PM   #550
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:

We are planning this too, but bear in mind a few important things about next summer in Europe:

1. Taylor Swift is playing throughout Europe in the summer. Hotel chains already report being fully booked in cities where she's playing.

2. The Summer Olympics will be in Paris.

3. Euro 2024 will be held in Germany.

Our itinerary will be England/Scotland/Italy so we'll miss points 2 & 3, and we'll work around Swift's dates for 1.