Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-02-2007, 03:14 PM   #301
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Not really a fair comparison. I think a more fair one would be to switch conferences

What I was referring is to how would LeBron do with Lamar Odom, Luke Walton, etc.

While there's not that much talent, there is more on the Laker's squad than is currently on the Cavs squad. Although the conference would be much tougher, I still think LeBron would have gotten this year's Laker team to the playoffs and probably won a series or two.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 03:24 PM   #302
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
What I was referring is to how would LeBron do with Lamar Odom, Luke Walton, etc.

While there's not that much talent, there is more on the Laker's squad than is currently on the Cavs squad. Although the conference would be much tougher, I still think LeBron would have gotten this year's Laker team to the playoffs and probably won a series or two.

Well, the Lakers probably wasn't so much chemistry is the fact that they didnt play defense this year moreso then anything. The Suns were an awful matchup for them.

*shrugs*

While I like Kobe, I wouldnt mind seeing a new look Lakers. But Kobe still remains the biggest draw in the NBA and the Lakers would be foolish to trade him from just a monetary standpoint. People aren;t going to pay 10K for courtside seats to see a Lamar led Lakers team sadly

Last edited by MrBug708 : 06-02-2007 at 03:25 PM.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 04:53 PM   #303
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

In my opinion at their stages in their careers Kobe is a better player. Long term I think LeBron surpasses him though. Kobe has a more consistant shot, better free throw shooter, better defense and thier ability to drive is equal in my opinion. LeBron has improved his jumper since he has been in the league and would not be surprised if he eventually becomes as good of a shooter than Kobe and a better defender than Kobe.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 06:21 PM   #304
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
I would say he has surpassed McGrady aleady. McGrady has yet to make it out of the first round of the playoffs while Wade as a NBA Finals MVP under his belt.

Tmac has 11 career playoff wins.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 08:26 PM   #305
GoDukes
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
In my opinion at their stages in their careers Kobe is a better player. Long term I think LeBron surpasses him though. Kobe has a more consistant shot, better free throw shooter, better defense and thier ability to drive is equal in my opinion. LeBron has improved his jumper since he has been in the league and would not be surprised if he eventually becomes as good of a shooter than Kobe and a better defender than Kobe.

As a Laker fan, I pretty much agree. I think Kobe is the better player and accomplished more at this point - but I think Lebron has the potential to be the best. Ever.
GoDukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 10:19 PM   #306
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

I think we should change this thread to "Rasheed Wallace Blows is completely for his team."
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 10:41 PM   #307
Atocep
Coordinator

This should be a historic thread.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 10:43 PM   #308
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdaily View Post
Need I say more? The man is as non-clutch as they come. With the Cavs or not, he'll never be on a championship team.

Game, set, match.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:07 PM   #309
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

How soon after they dont say a word.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 05:30 AM   #310
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
This should be a historic thread.
Nah. Wait for the Cavs to lose their first game to San Anton then Amdailey can come back and talk about what a loser he is again.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:01 AM   #311
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

I still feel this was a thread started by a 14 year old hoping to produce cosmic reverse psychology.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 02:19 PM   #312
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
I was at a bar on Thursday night, and all anyone could talk about was LeBron's performance. Pretty awesome when a player from two time zones away dominates conversation.

Psst....three time zones away.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 03:47 PM   #313
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Not saying one way or another on the Kobe vs LeBron argument, but on this supporting cast vs supporting cast argument, is this some sort of consensus? Because I'm not sure I agree.

Yes, Lamar Odom might be the best player on both teams not named LeBron or Kobe, but I'm not just talking talent here. I'm also talking injury history and consistency and actual production.

Odom is out a third of every season, it seems, and at least a third of the games he is here, he doiesn't show up or defers to Kobe. After that, I'm not sure you could match up three through fifteen Lakers versus Cavs and get a favorable matchup for the Lakers (well, okay, down arounds nine, the difference is probably minimal).

I would take Ilgauskas, Varejao, Gooden, Sasha (Cleveland's), Boobie, Marshall, Snow, and even Hopalong Hughes well before I would take Odom, Kwame, Luke "Not Bill" Walton, Smush "Ole" Parker, Sasha (LA's), Evans, Turiaf and Farmar.

All that said, damn, that Lebron is good.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 06-03-2007 at 03:48 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 03:49 PM   #314
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

dola, I would take them as a group over th eother group, I mean. Of course I wouldn't take Hughes over Odom or Walton (for example).
Old 06-03-2007, 03:57 PM   #315
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Not saying one way or another on the Kobe vs LeBron argument, but on this supporting cast vs supporting cast argument, is this some sort of consensus? Because I'm not sure I agree.

Yes, Lamar Odom might be the best player on both teams not named LeBron or Kobe, but I'm not just talking talent here. I'm also talking injury history and consistency and actual production.

Odom is out a third of every season, it seems, and at least a third of the games he is here, he doiesn't show up or defers to Kobe. After that, I'm not sure you could match up three through fifteen Lakers versus Cavs and get a favorable matchup for the Lakers (well, okay, down arounds nine, the difference is probably minimal).

I would take Ilgauskas, Varejao, Gooden, Sasha (Cleveland's), Boobie, Marshall, Snow, and even Hopalong Hughes well before I would take Odom, Kwame, Luke "Not Bill" Walton, Smush "Ole" Parker, Sasha (LA's), Evans, Turiaf and Farmar.

All that said, damn, that Lebron is good.

I generally agree here. I think the supporting casts are much closer than people think.

One thing that makes this nearly impossible to judge, apart from switching conferences, is the disparity in coaching for these two teams. No matter what anyone's opinion is of Phil Jackson, no one can say he's nothing less than an exceptional coach in comparison to Mike Brown. It'd be interesting to see how the Cavs and Lebron would do with even an average coach.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 06:16 PM   #316
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I generally agree here. I think the supporting casts are much closer than people think.

One thing that makes this nearly impossible to judge, apart from switching conferences, is the disparity in coaching for these two teams. No matter what anyone's opinion is of Phil Jackson, no one can say he's nothing less than an exceptional coach in comparison to Mike Brown. It'd be interesting to see how the Cavs and Lebron would do with even an average coach.

Overall? Yes. But he needs a highly motivated team to have much success and outside of Kobe and Turiaf, this team didn't care.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 06:22 PM   #317
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Overall? Yes. But he needs a highly motivated team to have much success and outside of Kobe and Turiaf, this team didn't care.

But isn't motivation primarily his responsibility? Sure, players making millions shouldn't need to be motivated, but they do need it just the same.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:30 PM   #318
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Either his responsibility, or the star player's responsibility. Jordan motivated his teammates. LeBron seems to do this as well.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:01 AM   #319
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

Interesting piece comparing Kobe to LeBron. I think her bottom line says it all, "People have to play with Bryant; they want to play with James.'

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...060301379.html

Last edited by Leonidas : 06-04-2007 at 10:02 AM.
Leonidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:35 PM   #320
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Anybody watch the crazy shit tonight? I wish LeBron would get this amped when he's not on ESPN. Sick performance in the 4th, including a game winner. Down 11 with 4 minutes left, Bron makes 3 straight 3s. McMillan might be the coach of the year, but why the hell he doesn't have Pryz in there at the end. Bron got in for the layup unchallenged.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:40 PM   #321
Groundhog
Coordinator

I was listening to the game via the web, but stopped during the 3rd Q. Maybe I shouldn't have.

I think it's replayed on TV tonight however.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:51 PM   #322
stevew
Hall Of Famer

My DVR cut it off with 2 minutes left, so don't feel bad.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:30 AM   #323
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
McMillan might be the coach of the year, but why the hell he doesn't have Pryz in there at the end. Bron got in for the layup unchallenged.
If by "unchallenged" you mean "forced to travel in order to make it"...

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:55 AM   #324
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday View Post

Just watched the replay a few times on NBA.com. I disagree. It was definitely awkward because of the contact right when he picks up his dribble, but I count two steps.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:42 AM   #325
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I was actually thinking "fouled in the act of shooting." But they aren't going to call traveling or a foul that late in the game.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:05 PM   #326
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

How come it's funny and ammusing when LaBron jaws with people in the crowd but when Philip Rivers does it he's a punk?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:23 PM   #327
Logan
Head Coach

Quit playing the race card.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:31 PM   #328
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
How come it's funny and ammusing when LaBron jaws with people in the crowd but when Philip Rivers does it he's a punk?

I think it's funny when anyone does it.
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:07 PM   #329
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
I think it's funny when anyone does it.

Ditto.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:14 PM   #330
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Quit playing the race card.

you don't seriously think I was doing that, do you?
Old 01-31-2008, 10:36 PM   #331
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

I didn't see LeBron do it, but it was all the way Rivers was doing it. I'm sure most of what LeBron was doing was in good fun. Phillip Rivers was going nuts while he sat on the sideline. Plus LeBron has earned the right to do a little trash talking. What can you really say to the guy? He took a team to the finals by himself.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:50 PM   #332
Groundhog
Coordinator

And today we are shown once again what we all have long known; the LeBron-less Cavs are a piece of poop.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:56 PM   #333
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDalltheway View Post
I didn't see LeBron do it, but it was all the way Rivers was doing it. I'm sure most of what LeBron was doing was in good fun. Phillip Rivers was going nuts while he sat on the sideline. Plus LeBron has earned the right to do a little trash talking. What can you really say to the guy? He took a team to the finals by himself.

that's not true....

he had 11 stiffs helping him.
Originally Posted by mijb#19
Switzerland is independant and will try to do so until the apacolypse is upon us.
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 11:37 AM   #334
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Just watched the replay a few times on NBA.com. I disagree. It was definitely awkward because of the contact right when he picks up his dribble, but I count two steps.
Unless the de jure travel rule in the NBA is different from any other level of basketball, it's not about the number of steps, it's about resetting your pivot foot, and there is not a doubt in my mind that he did just that. I slow-motioned it on my DVR to make sure.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Old 02-01-2008, 11:39 AM   #335
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Dola, I should be clear that while I believe James's make was a travel by the letter of the rules, it's also something that is standard to allow for most players, and certainly the star player on the last play of the game. It's allowed by the de facto NBA rule of travelling.

Last edited by Mr. Wednesday : 02-01-2008 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:07 PM   #336
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
that's not true....

he had 11 stiffs helping him.

Defense and rebounding will get you a long way in the playoffs, particularly when you have someone like LeBron to get you scores at the end of a game. The Cavs did both of those well, particularly rebounding. A far cry from 11 stiffs. Gibson's shooting at important points helped him a lot as well.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 01:52 PM   #337
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Being in the East doesn't hurt either
Old 02-01-2008, 02:53 PM   #338
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Dola, I should be clear that while I believe James's make was a travel by the letter of the rules, it's also something that is standard to allow for most players, and certainly the star player on the last play of the game. It's allowed by the de facto NBA rule of travelling.

Along with "palming".
Old 05-22-2009, 11:09 PM   #339
larrymcg421
Head Coach

This thread becomes more and more amusing as time goes on....

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:26 PM   #340
kcchief19
Pro Starter

This belongs in the Hall of Fame alongside WrongWay's advice that we put all of our money Elmo Knows Your Name dolls.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 07:37 AM   #341
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post

Um....deal?
Old 05-23-2009, 08:30 AM   #342
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Okay one I wasn't talking about titles. Two Kobe has one his titles with Shaq and as proven by the Heats recent title I am willing to bet Shaq was the major reason why LA was so dominate. Also name me one high player who has one a NBA championship since the 90's outside of Kobe who had Shaq?

I like LeBron and I happen to think he is a great player but playing in march madness provides unreal pressure. Imagine if the NBA went to a NCAA formula where there was no series just one game either win or lose.

Disgusted by the spelling and grammar. I admit I was wrong.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:14 PM   #343
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
This belongs in the Hall of Fame alongside WrongWay's advice that we put all of our money Elmo Knows Your Name dolls.

I dunno. I think the tide is changing.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:31 PM   #344
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The post game press conferences were priceless tonight btw. They have such awful body language.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:40 PM   #345
Groundhog
Coordinator

I think it's pretty simple. All the Heat need to win is to have LeBron, Wade, and Bosh all have monster games on the same night. Easy.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:34 PM   #346
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

so.....
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:11 AM   #347
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Hahahahaha.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:07 PM   #348
larrymcg421
Head Coach

amdaily was right. We were wrong. There, I said it.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:14 PM   #349
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
This thread becomes more and more amusing as time goes on....

+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:14 PM   #350
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Yeah, I'm being semi-humorous with that comment, because some of the comments he made were rightly called out for being ridiculous. But I'm starting to think there is something to the idea that LeBron just doesn't have that drive to be a champion.