Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-27-2021, 04:13 PM   #1
Thomkal
Head Coach

Firefox issues

Hoping someone can give me an easy fix here.

In trying to fix the CIV 6 issues I've been having I was trying to access hidden AppData files. Doing that caused all my icons that I see when I start my computer and get on to Windows to disappear. I was able to figure out how to get them back, but when I click on the Firefox icon, I get the Firefox is already running error. Clicking on close firefox just starts a loop of the same message.

I have tried rebooting and restarting my computer but nothing seems to fix the problem. I am at my limit of tech knowledge here and don't want to make things worse.

Any help here?

Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 04:23 PM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Hoping someone can give me an easy fix here.

In trying to fix the CIV 6 issues I've been having I was trying to access hidden AppData files. Doing that caused all my icons that I see when I start my computer and get on to Windows to disappear. I was able to figure out how to get them back, but when I click on the Firefox icon, I get the Firefox is already running error. Clicking on close firefox just starts a loop of the same message.

I have tried rebooting and restarting my computer but nothing seems to fix the problem. I am at my limit of tech knowledge here and don't want to make things worse.

Any help here?

I found a troubleshooting where someone had a problem with Firefox having a hidden installation, which gives me the idea that maybe you have a hidden instance that's stuck open somehwere?

Here's the post from that, which might give you a notion how to approach it (you'd be looking for processes to stop, rather than files to delete though)

Quote:
I performed a global search for any files containing Mozilla and deleted them one by one.
Old 04-27-2021, 04:37 PM   #3
Thomkal
Head Coach

Thanks Jon, not sure how much that helps. I forgot to add something to my description of what I did. I went to Task Manager, and firefox didn't show up there on on the processes tab
Old 04-27-2021, 05:05 PM   #4
Thomkal
Head Coach

This is where I'm at in my attempt to fix this myself. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...not-responding

I'm at the remove profile lock file stage, which would require me to remove the parent.lock file, which I have found. Not sure what might happen if I do this. I can access firefox on another computer, but its not my main computer so I'd kinda like to get it working again here
Old 04-27-2021, 05:16 PM   #5
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Thanks Jon, not sure how much that helps. I forgot to add something to my description of what I did. I went to Task Manager, and firefox didn't show up there on on the processes tab

Do you have any weird java processes running?

There was an old error (like 10 years back) that would keep Firefox open as part of certain java apps but Firefox itself did not show as open

(apparently because it was just the java-enabled option in FF that was in use, not the full app itself)
Old 04-27-2021, 06:49 PM   #6
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Do you have any weird java processes running?

There was an old error (like 10 years back) that would keep Firefox open as part of certain java apps but Firefox itself did not show as open

(apparently because it was just the java-enabled option in FF that was in use, not the full app itself)

Not to my knowledge
Old 04-27-2021, 07:09 PM   #7
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Delete System32

(actually, don't do this)
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:54 AM   #8
Thomkal
Head Coach

removing the parent.lock file has at least let me access Firefox again. Whew. Still having an issue with some apps not loading/running, but that's a hurdle for another day. Thanks to Jon and (I guess Todd ) for trying to help