Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-21-2021, 08:35 AM   #1
QuikSand
lolzcat

FOF Great Debate III: Ignore Play Diagnosis

This will be a series of threads designed to provoke debate about a matter in the FOF 8 game, around which there appears to be some uncertainty. We will pose the topic as a statement, and invite your responses to start with either PRO or CON, as you indicate whether you agree, or disagree, with the stated assertion.

Today's statement for debate:

Ignore Play Diagnosis. The game includes a variety of ratings, many of which seem to have intuitive connections to real life football assets. A linebacker who excels at play diagnosis/recognition seems less likely to bite on a play fake, or to be lured out of position by line angles, that sort of thing. In FOF, we'd want that to show up in something... but we have no history of anyone, ever, pointing out that it meaningfully correlated to anything good in-game (beyond maybe the guess that it must matter, but knowing that it shows up among monster players who are good at everything). So, we can safely ignore the Play Diagnosis bar as a meaningful indicator in FOF 8.

Respond in this thread, please, starting with a clear statement in all caps of your position, PRO or CON.

QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 08:47 AM   #2
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
T but we have no history of anyone, ever, pointing out that it meaningfully correlated to anything good in-game
Heh. Thought I posted it in a league. It correlates strongly to the TFL leaders. It appears to be a saving throw against the play having any success at all.
Old 05-22-2021, 04:47 AM   #3
Ben E Lou

In 100+ years of the GML with FOF8, meet your all-time TFL% leader (once sacks are backed out.) 87 of his 431 non-sack tackles have resulted in a loss of yardage.

http://gml.fof-belco.com/playercard.php?playerid=110050

Among players with >500 tackles? It's this guy: http://gml.fof-belco.com/playercard.php?playerid=29512 179 of his 932 non-sack tackles resulted in a loss of yardage.

Just checked his rating. His average PD over the course of his career was 81.5.
Old 05-22-2021, 04:48 AM   #4
Ben E Lou

Dola: For those not in the GML, per my scout, McKnight has 100 (so, 100+?) in play diagnosis.
Old 05-22-2021, 05:12 AM   #5
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Con

It will sound repetitive after Ben's comment, Play Diagnosis correlates with tackles for a loss and also with overall run defense. I'm still struggling to find the right balance between the skills "run defense" and "play diagnosis" in terms of determining which one is more important towards the overall team run defense and the balance between spending cap space on overall value or players with one or two good bars.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 07:19 AM   #6
QuikSand
lolzcat

useful thread, even if mostly to reveal my ignorance... i can't be the only person who missed that revelation

thanks
Old 05-24-2021, 07:21 AM   #7
QuikSand
lolzcat

maybe the in-game comment about "blows up the play" (or something similar) correlates to these dice rolls based on play diagnosis
Old 05-24-2021, 07:41 AM   #8
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
maybe the in-game comment about "blows up the play" (or something similar) correlates to these dice rolls based on play diagnosis
The stats piece of it made me notice the correlation. I think the phrasing you mention in Solevision is why I believe the implementation is a "saving throw" type thing--that the higher the PD, the more likely that the guy is just gonna stop the play before it has any chance of success.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 05-24-2021 at 07:44 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 10:05 AM   #9
Hammer
College Prospect

Diagnosis hooks up with intelligence on the SOL combine. Another question would be what would you like to see higher after a rookie reveal? Intelligence or PD?
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 10:26 AM   #10
QuikSand
lolzcat

I'm energized now. Just selected a defensive player (low-weight DE who might end up at OLB instead, in my 3-4 front) who appears to have maxed-out Run D, Play D, and Endurance. Looking forward to many blown-up plays.

Washington: KickStand takes DE Chance Victor with the 3.5 pick.

Run Defense66<->97
Pass Rush Technique9<->40
Pass Rush Strength45<->76
Man-to-Man Defense34<->66
Zone Defense41<->72
Bump-and-Run Defense33<->64
Play Diagnosis69<->100
Punishing Hitter10<->42
Endurance69<->100
Special Teams43<->74

HT
WT
RAW
ADJ
DASH
SOL
BENCH
AGI
BRJU
POS
%DEV
-
Old 05-26-2021, 03:17 AM   #11
tzach
High School JV

CON -- Ben and MIJB described one of the key points of PlayD above, i.e. correlation with TFL. I see the same trend in my data.
tzach is offline   Reply With Quote