Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-05-2014, 09:58 PM   #3152
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

That looks like a painful broken toe. Amusing when they were telling the doctor... no, it's always been like that...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:13 PM   #3153
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

That's impressive to finish the final two rounds with that broken toe, when the bone is poking out like that it must hurt like a mother.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:29 PM   #3155
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Nice fight to end the night. No title change unless the judges are still hung over from yesterday's parties.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:49 PM   #3156
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Impressive win by Rousey but I am so tired of her act.

Curious but what exactly was so bad about what she did tonight?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:52 PM   #3157
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

This was an enjoyable night of fights for the most part. Obviously, Struve's health is a concern and I hope he's okay. Good knockouts from Rousey and Font, good fight and submission by Faber, a strong main event slug fest, and the highlight, the ridiculous Hall Santos fight. Good stuff.

Edgar Penn 3 tomorrow!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:12 AM   #3158
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Curious but what exactly was so bad about what she did tonight?

Her "tough guy" act. It's like someone trying to fake being tough. You're the freaking champ, not some under-rated challenger... f'ing act like it.
Old 07-06-2014, 12:30 AM   #3159
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Phone died. Just got home.

All in all I loved it.

We were in a loud bar with no sound so I ccan comment on Rowdy, but Ive admited here before I Love her and her persona...and I dont think its a worked schtick, I think she really has a chip the size of Texas on her shoulder...and it is what makes her so damn good, IMHO.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:06 AM   #3160
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, impressed by Rousey tonight. A lot of guys stick with that tough guy persona throughout their career, to hate on just her seems like a double standard. And damn, what a knockout.

Machida is the best fighter who will never win another belt, one of my personal faves. But Weidman is really really good, and it's tough to see who is going to beat him right now.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:31 AM   #3161
bhlloy
Coordinator

DOLA - anybody know what Dana was so pissed about after the Rousey fight? Seemed like he was furious at either Ronda or Joe Rogan (or both)

Train wreck of a main card in terms of content, slightly made up for by the last fight - no Struve and a Rousey fight that lasted 10 seconds and showed that the women's contenders don't belong in the same ring as her. So maybe it was just that, but it looked more like something specific had set him off
Old 07-06-2014, 02:33 AM   #3162
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
DOLA - anybody know what Dana was so pissed about after the Rousey fight? Seemed like he was furious at either Ronda or Joe Rogan (or both)

Train wreck of a main card in terms of content, slightly made up for by the last fight - no Struve and a Rousey fight that lasted 10 seconds and showed that the women's contenders don't belong in the same ring as her. So maybe it was just that, but it looked more like something specific had set him off

I think he was pissed at Rogan for asking Rousey if she would fight again on August 2nd. My lip reading skills aren't great but he seemed to be asking Joe "Why the fuck did you ask that?"
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:35 AM   #3163
BYU 14
Coordinator

That was it, but he was pissed at the broadcast team for telling Rogan to ask

White not angry at Joe Rogan, but upset at broadcast team for Rousey question | MMAjunkie
Old 07-06-2014, 10:14 PM   #3164
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

What did I miss, why was Edgar getting so many boos when he first came out?
Old 07-06-2014, 10:32 PM   #3165
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

What is Penn doing? Looks like he is just there, taking up space, so far. Edgar is schooling him.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:34 PM   #3166
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Complete Edgar domination, Team Edgar and now Edgar himself.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:06 AM   #3167
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

UFC signs Holly Holm | UFC &reg - News
Old 07-11-2014, 08:52 AM   #3168
BYU 14
Coordinator

I think Holm missed the boat signing at this stage. Rousey's standup game has gotten so much better over her last 3 fights, that she will at least be competent. Holm sometimes looks uncomfortable when pressed and I see Rousey being able to walk her down, close the distance and take it to the ground.

Still holding out hope for Cyborg, Dana knows that after Zingano and Holm that is really the only fight left to make for Rousey at this point.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:46 AM   #3169
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I think Holm missed the boat signing at this stage. Rousey's standup game has gotten so much better over her last 3 fights, that she will at least be competent. Holm sometimes looks uncomfortable when pressed and I see Rousey being able to walk her down, close the distance and take it to the ground.

Still holding out hope for Cyborg, Dana knows that after Zingano and Holm that is really the only fight left to make for Rousey at this point.

I agree with you on Rousey. Her advancement to elite MMA fighter is nearly complete. I can see her calling it quits and moving on to bigger and better things. I really think she has the potential to ruin women's mma in the ufc, because nobody gives a shit beyond her, especially after she proves nobody can touch her now.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 02:46 PM   #3170
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Cyborg is trying to get down to bantam by December. I have my doubts she will be able to do it, but there it is.

Dana White is insisting he will get Carano's signature this week on a contract. Obviously that would be huge.

Adding Holm and Carano, with Cyborg dropping down, would certainly liven up the women's side of things.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:03 PM   #3171
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Cyborg is trying to get down to bantam by December. I have my doubts she will be able to do it, but there it is.

Dana White is insisting he will get Carano's signature this week on a contract. Obviously that would be huge.

Adding Holm and Carano, with Cyborg dropping down, would certainly liven up the women's side of things.

It definitely would for a while, but let's be honest, Carano at this point would only be a cash cow for UFC, Rousey would destroy her and that would likely be it.

If Cyborg gets to bantam, then they could make that fight by March next year, at which point Rousey could have fought Carano, Holm and Zingano. The only hope to keep women's MMA relevant in the UFC at that point would be a Cyborg win and a rematch, or two.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:14 PM   #3172
molson
General Manager

Rousey is a huge draw without real competition, she's in that late 80's Mike Tyson stage.

If she retires say, next year without losing, the women's division takes a big hit, but I don't think it's a fatal one. Nobody will have the star power of Rousey, but I think it's easier to build a new hot girl into something than it would be a random Welterweight man.

Rousey's dominance is not a bad thing for the UFC at all, it's a great thing, she might be the biggest star in the company. They just need to ride it out as long as they can, get her to fight as often as possible, hope she inspires a whole new generation of women fighters to take up the sport, and put her against opponents who could help sell a huge re-match if, by some shocking turn, someone lands a lucky shot and knocks her out.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:32 PM   #3173
PilotMan
Head Coach

Carano is nothing. Just a pretty face and nothing more than a speed bump. How she is even in this discussion is dumb. She hasn't done anything in years. I think if she were to sign, that she probably doesn't even win her warmup fights depending on who they pit her against.

Like Steam?

Old 07-13-2014, 03:34 PM   #3174
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Carano is nothing. Just a pretty face and nothing more than a speed bump. How she is even in this discussion is dumb. She hasn't done anything in years. I think if she were to sign, that she probably doesn't even win her warmup fights depending on who they pit her against.

If she signs she goes straight to Rousey IMO, Dana knows she would likely lose to any of the current top 10. This is a one shot money grab.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:33 PM   #3175
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
If she signs she goes straight to Rousey IMO, Dana knows she would likely lose to any of the current top 10. This is a one shot money grab.

Bingo.
The thing that concerns me about that is she can take a shot. I think Rousey would brutalize her. I am not sure America is ready for a super gritty women's MMA fight.

I'm probably under selling what I anticipate but I suspect she is one that may go out cold or hear the snap before a tap...and Rousey is lethal enough right now to do either one.

My biggest fear is that Dana convinces Rowdy she can ring with even an average male and then schedules the fight as an exhibition.

Let me put this in perspective. She and Urijah Faber fight in the same wieght class. Even being the shell of what he once was, it would be ugly with him and Rowdy in the rin together...and I fear DW will push something like that at some point.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:58 PM   #3176
Suicane75
Coordinator

You will never see a man vs woman match in the UFC, or in any sanctioned fight anywhere for the matter.

And Carano will get a huge payday, they'll promote the shit out of it, hundreds of thousands of people will order the fight, and about 30 seconds in Rousey will start applying an arm bar and Gina will tap quicker than a frogs fart. The end.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:04 PM   #3177
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
You will never see a man vs woman match in the UFC, or in any sanctioned fight anywhere for the matter.

I hope you are right.

But did you see Dana say Rousey would hurt Money Mayweather?
Old 07-13-2014, 06:14 PM   #3178
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I hope you are right.

But did you see Dana say Rousey would hurt Money Mayweather?

Well, could she get him on the floor?
Old 07-13-2014, 07:17 PM   #3179
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Well, could she get him on the floor?
Are we talking about a fight or horizontal dancing?

If a fight....she couldnt take a single punch. Out Cold.

If the other, I have not had a chance to evaluate her talents but I would like to scout.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:25 PM   #3180
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Man, Jon Jones is such a phoney. I can't stand the guy and he plays a large part in why I migrated away from MMA. This is saying quite a bit coming from someone who either enjoys or gets a degree of amusement out of people such as Chael Sonnen, Ronda Rousey, the Diaz brothers or Richard Sherman. When he first debuted, I really enjoyed watching him but Jones is such a two faced fake that I can't even tolerate him. He's even worse than Anderson Silva.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:29 PM   #3181
molson
General Manager

He's definitely playing a heel. Don't you want to see Cormier of Gustafsson dethrone him? That's a big part of the draw of those fights.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:31 PM   #3182
molson
General Manager

What was already maybe the worst UFC PPV card ever tomorrow night lost its main event. Barao had some kind of medical complication making weight and he's out. Joe Soto, who was going to make his UFC debut on the prelims, is now in the main event getting a title shot.

Last edited by molson : 08-29-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:52 PM   #3183
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
What was already maybe the worst UFC PPV card ever tomorrow night lost its main event. Barao had some kind of medical complication making weight and he's out. Joe Soto, who was going to make his UFC debut on the prelims, is now in the main event getting a title shot.

GOTdamn, that card sucks!

Post-FOX UFC just keeps getting worse. I used to give them a lot of credit for having a good grip on their sport and some amount of self-awareness that kept them in check for awhile, but I swear it's been years since I was excited for an entire card rather than one fight per card...and they just keep adding more and more fighters and shows and diluting the product even further. I got some sorta email alert for "TUF Latin America" the other day....'cuz that's what the UFC needs, more undeveloped fighters from who knows where.

They should've kept the WEC around and had a minor league on free TV, to keep the top tiers competitive, or at least interesting enough to be worth $50 to somebody.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:11 PM   #3184
PilotMan
Head Coach

Exactly. It's gotten very hard to get excited about the product these days.

Like Steam?

Old 08-29-2014, 09:54 PM   #3185
bhlloy
Coordinator

I haven't ordered or gone to watch a PPV at a bar in at least 9 months. They've had a bad run with injuries but it's hard to argue that even without the injuries they've just spread themselves too thin and the product is majorly diluted now. Too many fights that would be solid undercard fights and really add to the card are now their own production.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:20 AM   #3186
thesloppy
Pro Starter

These days I go to UFC.com, click on a card, and there's always 2-3 dudes on the main card who don't even have headshots. You can't even find or produce a single straight-facing picture for these dudes, but you still expect folks to pay $50 to watch these palookas fight week after week? I still try to watch pretty much every UFC event I can, and have for like 8 years solid, and yet I still don't know half the fighters on any given card these day. It's nuts. Who the hell is buying these cards anymore? Is it just like bars, and the last of the Jersey boys with too-much disposable income? I can't imagine this kind of product can continue to support the old pricing structure. Even if they're still surpassing/meeting old buy numbers with each pay-per-view these days, I can't imagine they're not going to pay a price for diluting the product at some point in the near future.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 08-30-2014 at 03:27 AM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:00 PM   #3187
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Oh my God. Is that Jim Ross's music? What's he doing here.

Jim Ross Is Set To Make His MMA Announcing Debut
Old 09-05-2014, 12:02 PM   #3188
molson
General Manager

When I saw this bumped I came in to see who got scratched form tonight's show.

But ya, that JR/Chael Sonnen commentary team should be awesome. At MMA or pro wrestling.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:21 AM   #3189
PilotMan
Head Coach

It's good to see Jason Miller can still entertain, especially since his fighting days are loooooong behind him.

MMA Fighter Live-Tweets Police Standoff While Holed Up In House

Like Steam?

Old 10-10-2014, 09:32 AM   #3190
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
It's good to see Jason Miller can still entertain, especially since his fighting days are loooooong behind him.

MMA Fighter Live-Tweets Police Standoff While Holed Up In House

This fucking guy is the next War Machine in training, what a whack job
Old 11-16-2014, 12:07 AM   #3191
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Yikes!

UFC 180 results: Jessica Eye defeats Leslie Smith after gruesome ear injury - MMA Fighting
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:12 PM   #3192
PilotMan
Head Coach

UFC has fight pass for $6.99/mo for a year commitment. I would have totally bit on this 18 months ago, but I feel like the UFC has stretched itself so thin that the quality of pretty much everything has just dropped along with my interest.

So worth it? Sale lasts until Monday.

Like Steam?

Old 12-06-2014, 09:40 PM   #3193
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Dana White ‏@danawhite 6m6 minutes ago

Welcome to the UFC @CMPunk!
Old 12-06-2014, 11:32 PM   #3194
korme
Go Reds

korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:02 AM   #3195
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

In more significant news, it was a good night of fights lol.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:13 AM   #3197
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Child Molester Punk?
C*ck Munching Punk?
Creepy Moron Punk?
Old 12-07-2014, 11:13 AM   #3198
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
In more significant news, it was a good night of fights lol.

I was disappointed not to see Melendez last longer, especially after winning the first round. I still think a Pettis/Aldo fight would be fantastic.

I was cheering for Hendricks in the second fight, but also being a big Lawler fan since his SF days, and knowing his first failure in the UFC there was no way I wasn't cheering for him in the 5th. That was a great round and a real exclamation point on the fight. He didn't get hurt at all, not a scratch. I don't know how long his title reign will last but it's clear at this point that he will at least be in the UFC for the rest of his career. A great accomplishment.

It just goes to show how spread thin the UFC fights are when Todd Duffee, who hasn't fought for them in like 3 years in on the main card. I thought that his fight and the Browne/Schaub fight were pretty cake walk set ups for both guys. I wish they would have just put them on the undercard and actually given us some more evenly matched fights.

Like Steam?

Old 12-07-2014, 07:48 PM   #3199
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

The Green Power Ranger Wants CM Punk in UFC Debut | Bleacher Report
Old 12-09-2014, 11:33 AM   #3200
molson
General Manager

It was interesting to hear Dave Meltzer dissect all this. He thought that the Bellator/UFC Mexico City head-to-head shows a few weeks ago might have been a turning point in the industry. UFC ran a great show with exciting fights featuring elite fighters top to bottom - but not a lot of name guys. Bellator ran Ortiz/Bonner, which was the culmination of a scripted pro wrestling storyline. Bellator didn't quite beat UFC, but it did better than it ever had head-to-head against the UFC, enough to scare them. The MMA companies' TV partners want matches that will generate more buzz and casual interest. Meltzer says he has heard rumors of other UFC signings along this line of thinking, but nothing specific he was able to report yet.

And I was definitely wrong about them just wanting to embarrass Punk - Dana White said they'll match him with a 1-0 or 1-1 guy - a ringer brought in for Punk to be able to win. So Punk will probably be the favorite - he'll be fighting a guy of a similar experience level, except he'll have the advantage of an elite MMA 6-month camp. Just so different than how UFC has usually done things, but I think it could be fun.

It's definitely makes sense business-wise, but it's amusing to see Punk get handed all this, after all of his constant complaining about guys coming into the WWE and taking spots away from deserving guys who have worked for years.

Last edited by molson : 12-09-2014 at 11:34 AM.