Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-24-2020, 04:47 PM   #151
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Marquee Network (the new Cubs network) is not streaming, AFAIK.

Other teams are though

A’s broadcast plan includes no Bay Area radio station: It’s streaming only - SFChronicle.com
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 04:48 PM   #152
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

That's radio though... I get that MLB has old fans, but how many are really listening over radio?
Old 02-24-2020, 05:03 PM   #153
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Marquee Network (the new Cubs network) is not streaming, AFAIK.

Thanks, wasn't sure if that was decided or not. Guess we'll see whether youtubetv picks it up or not. I did read hulu is going to but I'm not switching back and forth between providers, I quite like YT-tv.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 05:14 PM   #154
RainMaker
General Manager

Hulu+ is pricey.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 05:34 PM   #155
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Hulu+ is pricey.

SuperBOX - Turn your TV to Smart! | IPTV Box | Android TV BOX

One time charge ($280 for mine on Amazon) and that's it. NFL Sunday ticket, MLB Package, NBA, pay per views, all free (Watched Fury / Wilder fight, no issues at all)

Plus 1000 channels including all sports networks, all premium cable channels, a vast array of regional local channels.

With what I would have paid Directv for everything this gives me including the PPVs it paid for itself the first month.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 05:51 PM   #156
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post

One time charge ($280 for mine on Amazon) and that's it. NFL Sunday ticket, MLB Package, NBA, pay per views, all free (Watched Fury / Wilder fight, no issues at all)

Plus 1000 channels including all sports networks, all premium cable channels, a vast array of regional local channels.

With what I would have paid Directv for everything this gives me including the PPVs it paid for itself the first month.

Wow. I think ou just sold me on some new tech. This is amazing.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 06:04 PM   #157
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
That's radio though... I get that MLB has old fans, but how many are really listening over radio?

In Silicon Valley? I am guessing not many.

In the retirement communities of Florida? Tons.

And I say that as a person who has not listened to terrestrial radio (sorry JIMGa) intentionally in at least five years. I am still shocked to hear people say something like "I heard them talking on the radio about (insert local team)..." and realize they are talking about the local sports talk station.

I am guessing this is a way to secure all the ad revenue for the team. I do wonder what the net will be of people who stop listening now that it is off terrestrial radio compared to people who start listening because it is streaming.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 06:08 PM   #158
tarcone
Coordinator

Baseball was made for the radio

Old 02-24-2020, 06:24 PM   #159
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

Still does fairly well in Atlanta too, I probably see more comments about the radio crew than I do about the TV crew.

Quote:
And I say that as a person who has not listened to terrestrial radio (sorry JIMGa) intentionally in at least five years.

Zero apology needed. I haven't listened outside of occasional sports to any terrestrial in probably close to a decade now.
Old 02-24-2020, 06:27 PM   #160
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Reading between the lines of the article a little, this appears to be more about their inability to find a radio partner that suited them well enough (think $) rather than some strong desire to move to streaming.

With the steady demise of live-operated stations, this is an issue for a lot of sports in a growing number of markets.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:01 PM   #161
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post

How is this legal? Or is it?
Old 02-24-2020, 08:34 PM   #162
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

On their website they dont offer credit card payment options so.... And well logically it doesnt make sense. If content was this cheap we would be seeing a lot less content to watch.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:51 PM   #163
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:

And I say that as a person who has not listened to terrestrial radio (sorry JIMGa) intentionally in at least five years. I am still shocked to hear people say something like "I heard them talking on the radio about (insert local team)..." and realize they are talking about the local sports talk station.

I am guessing this is a way to secure all the ad revenue for the team. I do wonder what the net will be of people who stop listening now that it is off terrestrial radio compared to people who start listening because it is streaming.

+1 Silicon Valley radio baseball listener.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 12:03 AM   #164
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
On their website they dont offer credit card payment options so.... And well logically it doesnt make sense. If content was this cheap we would be seeing a lot less content to watch.

Did a bit of research on this... seems like the equipment itself is completely legal, it coming preloaded with illegal streams is questionable but probably legal in the US, watching the illegal streams is... illegal. Seems like there are two apps Blue TV and Blue VOD which get you all the free streams, and the lack of information out there about what they actually are is impressive (and telling).

Each to their own, best case scenario is you get way more than $280 out of it before it gets killed, worst case scenario is you end up on the wrong side of the law. I'll just stick with my legal streaming options and sleep better at night due to it I think.

And yeah, looks like they are out of stock and they don't take CC payments on the website (Western Union is kosher though), even though they are selling on Amazon. Do not want.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:17 AM   #165
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

There is .00001% chance you would get arrested for this. How does it work with local channels and dvr. That’s what I would need to research.
Old 02-25-2020, 02:40 PM   #166
RainMaker
General Manager

Just an incredibly statistic on how good Trout is.

Old 02-25-2020, 04:50 PM   #167
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
There is .00001% chance you would get arrested for this. How does it work with local channels and dvr. That’s what I would need to research.

When you find out I would love to know. Thanks for doing the leg work.

Old 02-26-2020, 05:44 PM   #168
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Did a bit of research on this... seems like the equipment itself is completely legal, it coming preloaded with illegal streams is questionable but probably legal in the US, watching the illegal streams is... illegal. Seems like there are two apps Blue TV and Blue VOD which get you all the free streams, and the lack of information out there about what they actually are is impressive (and telling).

Each to their own, best case scenario is you get way more than $280 out of it before it gets killed, worst case scenario is you end up on the wrong side of the law. I'll just stick with my legal streaming options and sleep better at night due to it I think.

And yeah, looks like they are out of stock and they don't take CC payments on the website (Western Union is kosher though), even though they are selling on Amazon. Do not want.

Quote:

Yeah, I did a lot of research on this before buying. It is basically a jailbroke firestick on steroids, but found zero concerns about getting in trouble for using it. The quality of the streams tells me this is much more detailed and tech advanced than a bunch of illegal stream sharing sites, though I am sure there is some of that in relation to newer movies and pay per views.

I wonder if they pay for content and then redistribute through their blue live and VOD apps? My only concern is they are somehow shut down, but at this point it has paid for itself 4 times over and it seems like they are in it for the long haul with support, warranties and a long term plan. Of course that is all good on paper, but I am happy at this point and consider it a legitimate purchase.

As far as local channels it has the four major networks in all big markets (Chicago, LA, Phoenix, etc) and many smaller ones. If you are looking for a particular market let me know and I will check.

There is no DVR capability for live TV/events, but in the VOD app you can set favorites so those are always in queue and they have a ton of shows available through VOD, so that is a defacto VCR for TV shows, just not sports.

The other downside is that you can only use it on 1 TV, though you can quickly relocate the box between multiple TVs as desired very easily. We also have Youtube TV for VCR and to fill in any gaps, but there are really not many gaps the box does not cover.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:32 PM   #169
PilotMan
Head Coach

Hard to argue with the effectiveness and scale of the Astros bullshit.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:43 PM   #170
tarcone
Coordinator

Any Rockies fans know what the outlook for Sam Hilliard is?

Last edited by tarcone : 02-27-2020 at 05:55 AM.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:15 PM   #171
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Hard to argue with the effectiveness and scale of the Astros bullshit.

How do you see this and not strip their title? Those numbers are absurd.
Old 02-29-2020, 03:52 PM   #172
MrBug708
Head Coach

Brusdar Graterol's 2020 Cactus League and Dodger debut: 3 batters, 3 outs — those batters: Trevor Story, Charlie Blackmon, Nolan Arenado.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 02:56 PM   #173
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Brusdar Graterol's 2020 Cactus League and Dodger debut: 3 batters, 3 outs — those batters: Trevor Story, Charlie Blackmon, Nolan Arenado.

I would giggle so hard if the Red Sox balking at Graterol ended up both delivering Betts to the Dodgers and fixing the one weakness last year's team had - the bullpen.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 04:22 PM   #174
miami_fan
Coordinator

Chris Sale will undergo Tommy John surgery.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 03-19-2020, 04:26 PM   #175
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Chris Sale will undergo Tommy John surgery.

Good timing. At this rate the season will not happen.

Old 03-19-2020, 06:06 PM   #176
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just started an OOTP league.real players, 2019, did a fantasy draft. My team is great.

DeGrom is my ace. His current record is 0-2 with a .67 ERA. I love the realism.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:06 PM   #177
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

#1 - if you are not already a member of The Athletic, you should be.

#2 - Joe Posnanski is incredible, and his The Baseball 100 series which he's running right now is amazing. Perfect daily distraction while the world is melting down around us.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:14 PM   #178
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Whenever baseball is back, we're surely going to get a weird format for this year's post-season.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:51 PM   #179
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
#1 - if you are not already a member of The Athletic, you should be.

#2 - Joe Posnanski is incredible, and his The Baseball 100 series which he's running right now is amazing. Perfect daily distraction while the world is melting down around us.

I can’t comment on #2 but #1 has tripled in personal value since just last Wednesday.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:32 AM   #180
miami_fan
Coordinator

Watch 2018, 2019 games free on MLB.TV | MLB.com

Quote:
The MLB.TV archives of the 2018 and '19 seasons are open and accessible for all, which means more than 4,800 games are available to stream for a limited time, postseason included.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:29 PM   #181
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

RIP Bird - This Day in Sports History: Randy Johnson and the bird pitch.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:49 PM   #182
Atocep
Coordinator

Syndergaard needing Tommy John is the least surprising baseball news this spring.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:57 PM   #183
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Syndergaard needing Tommy John is the least surprising baseball news this spring.

I guess the no elective surgeries thing doesn't apply to rich athletes.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:12 PM   #184
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Mets gonna Mets
Old 04-07-2020, 01:10 AM   #185
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Sources - MLB, union focused on plan that could allow season to start as early as May in Arizona

Sounds like MLB is trying to see if they could play a part of the season here in Arizona with no fans and all teams playing games in Phoenix. It’s a pretty out of the box idea, but it would help players get paid again.
Old 04-07-2020, 02:23 AM   #186
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Sources - MLB, union focused on plan that could allow season to start as early as May in Arizona

Sounds like MLB is trying to see if they could play a part of the season here in Arizona with no fans and all teams playing games in Phoenix. It’s a pretty out of the box idea, but it would help players get paid again.

Saw that earlier, not all that enthused by some of the wackier (possible) details.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:13 AM   #187
Butter
Coordinator

I actually would like to see this electronic strike zone in action.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:18 AM   #188
miami_fan
Coordinator

Every plan that requires sequestering athletes in a hotel, camp or something equivalent for more than a week AND not to have anyone visit them seems to go against everything I have known about athletes for my entire life.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:42 AM   #189
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah I would selfishly love for baseball to be back if for anything but my own entertainment. Seems like some of the ideas like a triple-header in Chase field with testing all the time isn't very thought out. So say a team has what 35-50 personnel times 6 teams. We certain of 300 tests with no asymptotic players and false negative tests? I mean one person slips through and then possibly 6 teams all have coronavirus. I guess people paid more than me are working on this but seems like a big hole.

Not to mention all the tests required daily while they can't test you know the common citizens. Though somehow Tom Hanks, Prince Charles Kevin Durant, etc have been able to bypass that one anyways.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:00 AM   #190
tarcone
Coordinator

Like ive said, Millionaires get the tests. They are the most important people, dont you know?

Old 04-07-2020, 09:20 AM   #191
stevew
Hall Of Famer

How are they going to draft without senior baseball season? Or is it a minor factor? I bet this draft will have some major wildcards.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 09:25 AM   #192
spleen1015
Coordinator

I was watching the first episode of the sixth season of Ray Donovan last night. There was a baseball game on in the background of 2 of the scenes. I realized then that I really miss baseball season. Got a little choked up.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:56 AM   #193
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
How are they going to draft without senior baseball season? Or is it a minor factor? I bet this draft will have some major wildcards.

I was going to post about this last night because all of this indirectly relates to my son's plans for next year. College baseball is really fucked right now at all levels.

High school baseball really isn't scouted that much anymore. It's mostly perfect game and PBR events and then a regional scout may check in if a team is interested.
Usually, though, that regional scout is just confirming what other scouts have seen at showcase events. These pre-draft showcases are canceled though and that will really hurt some high school guys.

The shorter draft is a game changer, though, and when combined with the extra year of eligibility its having a massive impact on every level from high school up. I just don't see teams using a pick on anyone that's remotely questionable to sign if we're looking at a 5 or 10 round mlb draft. I know of 1 kid that's reclassified to 2021 because of it and another 2 families that are considering reclassifying their kids for draft purposes. It's a shitshow.

I'll try to get into more when I can sit at my desktop because I need someplace to rant. It's really frustrating right now when you consider how it all trickles down.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:13 AM   #194
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Yeah, the knock-on effect of this is crazy. Extra eligibility for seniors = fewer scholarships for incoming freshman. Shorter draft = fewer high schoolers being picked in the draft. Not even to mention some of the financial troubles facing NCAA programs with no March Madness money and potential football revenue impacted.

There are a ton of high school seniors who could have been somebody that aren't going to have a chair to sit in when the music stops.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 04-07-2020 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:07 AM   #195
spleen1015
Coordinator

I think it all depends. I wonder if the same thing I am hearing about some softball players will apply to baseball players or other athletes as well.

Many of these seniors have already made plans for their life after school. How many of them are going to be willing to give up those plans to play one more year? I think there are going to be many who move on with life and not play another year.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:22 AM   #196
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

If I had to option to have school paid for one more year or graduate into this recession, I think I know which I'd pick.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 11:25 AM   #197
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
If I had to option to have school paid for one more year or graduate into this recession, I think I know which I'd pick.

SI

This is a wierd one, the company I work for has not had a things get bad yet, and we're getting hit with a double whammy since oil prices have tanked. Food facilities are still moving forward, except for french fries, and other industries have not slowed yet either. New inquiries have been hammered, but we have such a long time to close, not sure yet how this will impact us down the road.

I do think, once the all clear is sounded, you are going to see an explosion in spending. Similar to the Roaring 20s or post WWII. I think there are going to be a lot of people who say screw saving, spend what I have when I get it.

EDIT: Doh, quoted the response to a response. Oops...

Last edited by Warhammer : 04-07-2020 at 11:26 AM.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:19 PM   #198
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post

SI

Baseball only has 11.7 scholarships for a 35 man roster. They're waiving the roster limit for seniors that decide to return but not increasing the scholarship cap. With most 2020 classes either already full or close to it their money has already been promised to an incoming freshman so those that decide to return will likely do so with no scholarship money.
Old 04-07-2020, 04:33 PM   #199
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Baseball only has 11.7 scholarships for a 35 man roster. They're waiving the roster limit for seniors that decide to return but not increasing the scholarship cap. With most 2020 classes either already full or close to it their money has already been promised to an incoming freshman so those that decide to return will likely do so with no scholarship money.

This.

And the smaller the program budget, the tighter that stuff is.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:46 PM   #200
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
This.

And the smaller the program budget, the tighter that stuff is.

The extra year of eligibility is the right thing to do, but the fallout is way deeper than I think most realize and the NCAA has left it up to the schools to be the bad guy.

You have 35 man roster, a head coach, and 2 paid assistants. The NCAA has given everyone an extra year, but didn't increase scholarship money and aren't increasing the number of paid assistants. Schools are left to decide if they have the facilities to handle extra players, the staff to handle extras players, see how many seniors want to return, and then potentially pick and choose which ones they can take. It's such a mess that MLB is making worse by shortening the draft.

This isn't the thread for it, but the entire recruiting process for baseball is an awful experience and I feel terrible for the 2020 kids that haven't signed somewhere yet. Some were waiting on offers and some were betting on themselves to wait on better offers that may have opened up after the draft. These are all things that are a normal part of the process every year. This year, if you're not already in a seat you're going to have a difficult time because, for the most part, the music has stopped.

Baseball in Washington has been improving drastically over the past few years. It's not out of the ordinary for multiple Washington teams to make it out of pool play in Perfect Game national tournaments in AZ. The problem is D1 offers are very hard to come by up here. Oregon State has made a killing recruiting Washington heavily, Gonzaga has done a good job of recruiting local talent, but UW focuses heavily on CA while WAZZU is coming off possibly the worst coach in the program's history. Because of this you have Tacoma CC which is a top 5 JUCO and the NWAC as a whole is one of the better JUCO conferences in the country. Schools prefer to sit in California and Arizona and let the talent come to them so it's really hard for Washington kids to be seen and get offers.

To give you an idea of what it's like here, my son was looked at by the new coaching staff at WAZZU but signed a different catcher instead. He had a great summer where he led our travel team in homers, extra base hits, walks, and RBIs while being top 3 in average and a few other stats and catching 80% of our games. After WAZZU passed...nothing...until he made a trip to Arizona in October for the fall championships. He got back and his high school coach called him to tell him Tacoma CC wanted him to work out on campus. It turns out they saw him in Arizona and took interest (yes, we live 5 miles from TCC and they noticed him 1,400 miles away outside of Phoenix).

The nice thing is that if TCC offers then you're a legit D1 prospect and everyone in the PNW takes notice. Unfortunately, TCC already had 2 catchers committed for 2020 so my son worked out there and their assistant passed on a recommendation for an offer, but the head coach said he wanted eyes on him this spring. My take was they wanted to figure out their scholarship situation before they offered.

Once TCC invited him campus, though, interest started to really pick up. Another really good NWAC JUCO heard he worked out at TCC and invited him for a work out. This school is probably the best up and coming program with a new-ish staff and recently sent a catcher to Auburn. This school offered him on the spot, about a week before national signing day. My son loved the staff, knew 3-4 players already there and they all had great things to say, and I talked to parents of players there and they said much the same. He knew it's where he wanted to go so he signed.

On the bright side, he's signed as a priority in this class. Prior to this mess he was told he would start behind the plate next year and if he was on campus this year he'd split time at worst. So he has a home. We just don't know what's going on yet because his school doesn't know who's asking to return. Keep in mind this is an even bigger issue for JUCOs as they have to replace nearly half their roster every year and try to get guys locked in early. After talking last night my son and I are on the same page that if their primary catcher this year is returning it may be best to redshirt a year and get out of the 2019/2020 class clusterfuck. It's probably best to just avoid trying to come out of a JUCO in that double class.

I know two kids on his team that were going to try to wait out better offers believing they could just fall back on a NWAC offer late in the cycle. I can't imagine how panicked they are right now. I'm seeing several NWAC teams that already had full classes and I know WAZZU is full, and UW and Gonzaga have academic hurdles most kids can't clear. So these borderline D1 kids that were hoping something may open up are likely going to end up at a bad JUCO or locked into a D2 or D3.

Anyway, that's my rant. I thought there was nothing to worry about since he signed but now we're trying to figure out if a redshirt is in his best interest or not. I did mention that 3 of his friends are reclassifying with hopes of getting drafted and asked if he wanted to repeat his senior year of high school and I got a "Hell no".