Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #2501
henry296
College Starter

If we assume 16 seeds should win 1% of the time, 5% for 15 seeds and 10% for 14 seeds; I get the probabilty of this happening at 0.000000003%
Old 11-12-2012, 04:58 PM   #2502
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

I'm not saying it shouldn't happen. I just know that if I set it up to play 100 games between a #1 seed and a #16 seed, the #16 would win more than we would expect. I'd also like to see cpu coaches do a better job of recruiting towards a specific style of play.
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:38 PM   #2503
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
If we assume 16 seeds should win 1% of the time, 5% for 15 seeds and 10% for 14 seeds; I get the probabilty of this happening at 0.000000003%

That's not really accurate. Sure, the odds of it not happening in any one tournament of your choosing is 0.000000003%, but we're not dealing with one tournament of your choosing. The representative universe is all our games, all the tournaments we ever sim. Let's suppose we have 100 people that play 100 seasons -- 10,000 tournaments. The odds that it will happen at some point in there is 1 - ((1 - .00000000003)^10,000), or 0.00003% (i.e. orders of magnitude more likely than you suggest). Bottom line, we should never be seeing a result that crazy, but when you get to more realistic scenarios it is important to run the math correctly.

(For example, say there's an event with a 1-in-100,000 chance of happening. It would give a great deal of pause if we saw it happen in one of our games. But using the same principles, we'd expect to see it happen 1 - ((1 - .00001)^10,000), or about 10% odds. Much less reason to be concerned.)
Old 11-12-2012, 06:06 PM   #2504
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyReign View Post
I'd also like to see cpu coaches do a better job of recruiting towards a specific style of play.

Yah this is one thing I've been thinking about too since getting back into FBCB heavily once again the past couple of weeks. Ideally they would lean towards the coach strategy, I think if they leaned towards the coaching strategy, or even just the defense/offense leanings of the coach ratings.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #2505
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
When somebody gets the itch, ping me and I'll update the teams and conferences CSVs for the 2014 D1 alignment.

Ping.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #2506
henry296
College Starter

You are right are sample sizes are more than just one. However, using those probabilities it suggests it would happen 1 out of every 2 billion simulations, if my math is correct

2 billion from 100*100*20*10*10*10*10
Old 11-12-2012, 09:46 PM   #2507
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Just had one of the craziest first round in the NCAA tournament. There were 2 16s, 1 15 and all 4 14 seeds who won in the first round. I was one of the 16s with my 17-15 (RPI around 130) Navy squad beating the the #5 ranked Cal by 6 points.

My team can be very streaky. I have a top 35 offensive efficiency team, but my team defense is in the 300s.

A 16-seed with an RPI of ~130 is a very, very good 16. More like a 14-seed or perhaps 15-seed in real life (which seems a small difference, but it's not.)
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #2508
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

HR- Just gat an error- Run time error 9: subscript out of range Error Location Save season stats

any help appreciated
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:15 AM   #2509
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

If you zip your save and send it to [email protected] I'll take a look at it.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:01 AM   #2510
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

thanks, I'll try later, what file am I zipping? The save file?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:40 AM   #2511
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
Ping.

I should have guessed it would be you. I'll wait for Rutgers to declare tomorrow (and perhaps UConn if they do so in short order) and get to it!
Old 11-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #2512
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

I zip up all 6 of the .DAT files in the main folder for your league and the settings.ini file.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #2513
henry296
College Starter

I created a new coach (average Ratings) and have simmed two off seasons with no job offers. This is an existing league with nearly 50 years of history. Is that to be expected?
Old 11-26-2012, 09:02 PM   #2514
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

No you should get at least one offer. I'd be happy to take a look at it if you want to zip and send the save file to [email protected] or post it somewhere I can grab it. As mentioned above I need all 6 of the .DAT files in the main folder for your league and the settings.ini file.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:13 PM   #2515
henry296
College Starter

Just realized I needed to go to the Coaches Screen to see the offers. I expected an e-mail.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:46 PM   #2516
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Just realized I needed to go to the Coaches Screen to see the offers. I expected an e-mail.
Yeah, it took me a couple tries to realize this too.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:31 PM   #2517
amazedbygrace86
n00b

Conference Adjustments

Sorry if I completely missed something, but has there been any 2012-2013 conference adjustments made for FBCB 2010?
amazedbygrace86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:29 PM   #2518
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
Okay, below are the teams.csv and conf.csv files for the start of the 2014-15 season, when all the pending conference realignments will be complete.

The only feature I was unable to create was the WCC's crazy 9-team, 5-round tournament (HR? pretty please?). I did run one test season, so hopefully conference scheduling and tourneys shouldn't cause any kind of RTE.

Enjoy!

From here, you can access the CSVs I made for alignments as of the 2014-15 season that were current as of 2/12/12. Things have changed, of course, and I'll update these when this round of moves quiets down.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:17 PM   #2519
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

HR, can you explain what the S. Wins/S. Losses second under the Opponents Record tab (Under History in the team menu) is supposed to be? It doesn't seem to actually have any win/losses compiled in it, T. Wins/T. Losses (I assume total wins/losses) does though.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:21 PM   #2520
britrock88
Pro Starter

I think that's season wins/losses (ie, the current season), DC, though that's just off the top of my head.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:40 PM   #2521
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

^^^^^^^^

Season wins and losses is correct.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:00 PM   #2522
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Aah, that makes sense. Thanks.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:13 PM   #2523
Illini Boy
n00b

My brother and I play in a Fast Break College Basketball league together, and one of the few complaints about this game is how human coaches evolve. I loved playing a closed legacy on CHOOPS 2k8. The best part was about achieving certain things and getting points to make your coach better. Unfortunately, Fast Break College Basketball doesn't really have this. However, I have created an excel sheet that my brother and I use to add points to our coaches after a season ends. It is pretty basic, but if you enjoy starting at a low level and working your way up by doing achievements then you may enjoy this! It is pretty self-explanatory, but I would love to see a list like this added to Fast Break College Basketball for added history and evolution of human coaches. You just need to add a "y" to the individual coach boxes for it to accumulate points for that season!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Fast Break College Basketball - Coach Achievements.zip (29.5 KB, 15 views)
Illini Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:43 PM   #2524
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

Btw, if you were waiting for a response from me Radii was correct. The .dat files inside your main save folder are what I would need. I should have posted confirmation of that previously.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:48 PM   #2525
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini Boy View Post
My brother and I play in a Fast Break College Basketball league together, and one of the few complaints about this game is how human coaches evolve. I loved playing a closed legacy on CHOOPS 2k8. The best part was about achieving certain things and getting points to make your coach better. Unfortunately, Fast Break College Basketball doesn't really have this. However, I have created an excel sheet that my brother and I use to add points to our coaches after a season ends. It is pretty basic, but if you enjoy starting at a low level and working your way up by doing achievements then you may enjoy this! It is pretty self-explanatory, but I would love to see a list like this added to Fast Break College Basketball for added history and evolution of human coaches. You just need to add a "y" to the individual coach boxes for it to accumulate points for that season!

Nice work, thanks for sharing!
Old 11-29-2012, 09:41 PM   #2526
amazedbygrace86
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini Boy View Post
My brother and I play in a Fast Break College Basketball league together, and one of the few complaints about this game is how human coaches evolve.

Yes, thank-you so much! I think I might use this! I'd also really like to see this included in the game.

By the way, how would I add these extra attribute points to my coach? Do I do that during the offseason or do I have to use the Coach File Editor?

Last edited by amazedbygrace86 : 11-29-2012 at 10:04 PM.
amazedbygrace86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:17 PM   #2527
Illini Boy
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazedbygrace86 View Post
Yes, thank-you so much! I think I might use this! I'd also really like to see this included in the game.

By the way, how would I add these extra attribute points to my coach? Do I do that during the offseason or do I have to use the Coach File Editor?

I add them during the Conference Movement section. You can just go to edit current league, then coaches, find your coach and edit away!
Illini Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:13 PM   #2528
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Didn't realize you could edit recruit talent via the FBCB.ini file. I found that out after lurking on the grey dog boards. It's been interesting to see how talent gets distributed when ever the scrubs are good. I'd already seen how bad leagues could get when I played with that girls file for a while.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #2529
henry296
College Starter

Are the color coded blocks in relation to the level of team you have or in general across all players?
Old 12-03-2012, 09:20 PM   #2530
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Across all players
Old 12-05-2012, 12:22 AM   #2531
henry296
College Starter

Here is a quick nomination for greatest final four ever.

In game 1 of the final four, my Depaul team hits a 3 pointer at the buzzer to win. In game 2, Utah makes a 3rd point play (basket and foul) with 8 second left to force OT. However, Xavier goes on to win.

In the finals, I have a 5 point lead with 27 seconds to play when Xavier hits a 3 to cut the lead to 2. DePaul makes 1 out of 2 at the line. Xavier gets trapped and a foul is called and they make both to make it a 1 point game with 12 seconds left. Again, make the first and miss the second. And you might've guessed the Xavier hits the three at the buzzer denying me my first ever National Championship.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #2532
henry296
College Starter

Brian - if I'm at the end of the season can you look at the NCAA seeding. Ohio State who finished 5th in the Big Ten ended up as a 16 seed and then went to to the Final Four.

My team was 32-4 and #3 in the RPI and got a 3 seed.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #2533
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

I might be able to write something to reset it back to selection day. I'd have to experiment though. If you want to send me the save I'll check it out when I have a chance. The Ohio State thing would be because of their overall record. I know what change I need to make but haven't had a chance to implement it. I have a theory on the seeding for your team but I'd rather see the data first.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:18 PM   #2534
henry296
College Starter

Unfortunately, the zip file is 29MB and gmail can't send it.

I think I know what happened with my team. I was only 2-2 against top 50 teams.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #2535
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Here is a quick nomination for greatest final four ever.

In game 1 of the final four, my Depaul team hits a 3 pointer at the buzzer to win. In game 2, Utah makes a 3rd point play (basket and foul) with 8 second left to force OT. However, Xavier goes on to win.

In the finals, I have a 5 point lead with 27 seconds to play when Xavier hits a 3 to cut the lead to 2. DePaul makes 1 out of 2 at the line. Xavier gets trapped and a foul is called and they make both to make it a 1 point game with 12 seconds left. Again, make the first and miss the second. And you might've guessed the Xavier hits the three at the buzzer denying me my first ever National Championship.

Wow.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:52 PM   #2536
henry296
College Starter

Does the decision to transfer logic consider future playing time? In my last season I had two big men declare for the draft and then 2 of my back-up big men who understandably didn't play much and were unhappy and decided to transfer. A fifth big man graduated so I'm left with 0 C/PF since I wasn't very successful in recruiting one. I'm definitely taking another job

Another idea is to have a group of people who don't committ until the very end. I think IRL there is a November and April signing period, so maybe no mid-season committments or make them verbal committments that can be changed. I'm sure some big men would be willing to come to my 65 prestige school that has been to three straight NCAA tournaments with only 15 losses in 3 years.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:43 PM   #2537
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
I think I know what happened with my team. I was only 2-2 against top 50 teams.

That is what I was going to look at as far as your team in comparison to other teams. The seeding process cares more about who exactly your team beat than the RPI rating does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296
Does the decision to transfer logic consider future playing time? In my last season I had two big men declare for the draft and then 2 of my back-up big men who understandably didn't play much and were unhappy and decided to transfer. A fifth big man graduated so I'm left with 0 C/PF since I wasn't very successful in recruiting one.

The game does a bad job here. Players transfer due to unhappiness from the previous season even if they would be starters the next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296
Another idea is to have a group of people who don't committ until the very end. I think IRL there is a November and April signing period, so maybe no mid-season committments or make them verbal committments that can be changed. I'm sure some big men would be willing to come to my 65 prestige school that has been to three straight NCAA tournaments with only 15 losses in 3 years.

When I get to working on a new version recruiting will get a bit of an overhaul. This sort of thing would be part of that.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #2538
Jon
High School Varsity

How do you load up the D3 mod?
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #2539
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

For any custom league files, you can find the location to save them by going to tools > edit default league > open folder.

You should see a folder in windows explorer called "defaultleagues". Inside that folder you should see other folders like 2010,2011,2012, etc. Make a D3 folder and place the files from the D3 mod there. You should have conf.csv, teams.csv, and tourneys.csv. Then you you start a new game, D3 will be one of the options in the League File dropdown box.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:11 PM   #2540
henry296
College Starter

Here is another odd post season decision. I went 18-14 with an RPI of 20 and 9-9 vs Top 50. I can understand missing the NCAA, but to get no post-season bid seems odd.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:45 AM   #2541
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Indeed it does. If you could, post the save on one of the file sharing sites or I could get you ftp information to upload it to me.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:19 PM   #2542
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Indeed it does. If you could, post the save on one of the file sharing sites or I could get you ftp information to upload it to me.

Sorry, I already moved on to the next season or two. Next time I see something I'll save a separate file.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:34 PM   #2543
henry296
College Starter

How does conference prestige work? Just had a situation where TCU who has 95 prestige was moved from the Big 12 to Missouri Valley in 2082. The Missouri Valley has become a 5* conference and Big 12 is 4*. The Big 12 still has 5 teams with a prestige over 70 which is the highest team excluding TCU in the Missouri Valley. The team that moved to the Big 12 is a 42 prestige Tulsa.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:55 PM   #2544
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Conference prestige is performance based. The portion of prestige that is based on regular season performance will be higher for the higher prestige conference. A rough estimate might be that Big 12 teams will have to win one more game in the post season in than they did previously in order to make up for the drop from 5 to 4 in order to achieve the same level of prestige.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:53 PM   #2545
Jon
High School Varsity

I modified the file to reflect the current conference tournament changes.

During the conference tournament week, the game showed the following error:

Run-time error "9":
Subscript out of range.

What usually causes this error, and what can I do to correct it?

Thanks.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:13 AM   #2546
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Without testing that usually is an issue with the tourney having the proper number of days on the schedule. If you want to send me (or post somewhere) the league files you edited I can confirm. The game is supposed to fix any issues when you start a new game but there could be things I've missed.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #2547
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Got my Festivus present today when my daughter noticed Splashtop 2 is free today at Amazon App Store. A few moments to get it on my Droid 3 and a few moments to install on my PC and I was playing FBCB2 on my Droid.

It is small on the screen, so only a small area can be seen (you can make it bigger, of course), but I can scroll the box score and scout my next opponent. I've finished recruiting, so I'm only simming games, but wow!

Need to check OOTP and PanzerCorps Commander and doing at work at work will be a thing of the past.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:38 PM   #2548
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Here is an example of an issue I've seen from time to time. The AI never seems to put a guy back in the lineup after an injury.

Here we see Aubrey Bernard is one of the two best players on Wright State, but he's not in the lineup. He's played in one game for two minutes after being a 3-year starter. He wasn't in the lineup for the game before me, so I thought he'd simply come off his injury. But he did not play at all against me and is still the last man on his team for the next game.

What's up with this?

"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
Old 12-26-2012, 08:54 PM   #2549
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

If you have the save I wouldn't mind poking around to see if there is anything obvious that I am missing. So far I haven't been able to find any cases where it is happening.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #2550
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
If you have the save I wouldn't mind poking around to see if there is anything obvious that I am missing. So far I haven't been able to find any cases where it is happening.

Sent you a zip of the save.