Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-15-2013, 09:38 AM   #51
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
Ah, right, I see where you are coming from now. Shouldn't be too much of an issue. The way I see it, and we'll use this as a guideline, is at the end of '67 each team will protect say 10 players, the rest go back into the draft. From there I'll start the '68 season, put the retained players where the belong and the remainder will be in the draft pool. I'll have to see if I can export that list, which would make things easier, but just going to baseball-reference.com will probably provide most of the insight you'd need, and I'll be available to assist.

Plus if it is too complicated we'll just play '67, then pick another season and start all over. I'm flexible...

We should probably sort out how we want to do this before we draft, as the drafting strategy for people will probably be different otherwise. It's a bit weird in some ways to make this a dynasty where you hold onto players from year to year because there's no lack of certainty how the player will do in future years ("I'll take a chance on this rookie Babe Ruth guy, he might have a good career "). Then again, drafting season-to-season takes out some of that strategy as well as it's just a question of valuing positions a certain way. Maybe it won't be as big an issue with only 10 teams in the league.

I guess I would suggest something like a very small list of protected players (3-5?) I'm willing to go along with whatever though, as long as everyone (or a strong majority) can get behind it.

JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:54 AM   #52
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
We should probably sort out how we want to do this before we draft, as the drafting strategy for people will probably be different otherwise. It's a bit weird in some ways to make this a dynasty where you hold onto players from year to year because there's no lack of certainty how the player will do in future years ("I'll take a chance on this rookie Babe Ruth guy, he might have a good career "). Then again, drafting season-to-season takes out some of that strategy as well as it's just a question of valuing positions a certain way. Maybe it won't be as big an issue with only 10 teams in the league.

I guess I would suggest something like a very small list of protected players (3-5?) I'm willing to go along with whatever though, as long as everyone (or a strong majority) can get behind it.

Agreed. I'm open to however you guys would prefer to do this. I'm not going to have my own team, I'll just be commish so my opinion doesn't matter. We can do this with a new year evertime and start from scratch. We can build from year to year and only draft the free agents, rookies and unprotected players or we can do some combination. Feel free to throw out ideas....
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:19 AM   #53
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

I would also be in favor of a limit to the number of times you can protect a player (maybe 3 consecutive years). We have that rule in a FOFC FF keeper league and it has worked pretty well for increasing trades and such. I'll let some other people throw out ideas and opinions for now though.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #54
path12
Coordinator

If it is a 24 player team I think 3 is too few, especially considering this era was before true free agency. I could see 5 players but depending on how realistic we want to be teams had most of their players locked up and you do have to balance fun vs real.

So my protected list would probably be more in the 7 - 10 range.

But I'm real easy with rules and will adapt to whatever structure we have.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:45 AM   #55
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

I like the 7-10 player range.. maybe reduce it once we have more free agency to 5?
Old 05-15-2013, 04:03 PM   #56
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntndeacon View Post
I like the 7-10 player range.. maybe reduce it once we have more free agency to 5?

+1
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #57
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

People are saying 7-10 quite a bit here, so I'll try to narrow it down.

If these are 24 man active rosters (and how deep are we going overall here?) then how about 8 for the keepers, a nice & even 1/3rd of the roster.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #58
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Okay, just had a possibly braindead question here.

We're going to start with 1967 ... so are the players carded on the basis of their '66 stats (which is how the '67 set would have been released, right?) or their '67 stats.

I'm feeling confused.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #59
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

We're going to start with 1967 ... so are the players carded on the basis of their '66 stats (which is how the '67 set would have been released, right?) or their '67 stats.

I'm feeling confused.

I can't speak to this specifically but the 1964 game I just ordered talks about playing the dual pennant races of that year, so I'm assuming (yeah, i know) that it is the 1964 stats.

In other words, it is the modern board/online game just using the data from that particular year. I think.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #60
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
I can't speak to this specifically but the 1964 game I just ordered talks about playing the dual pennant races of that year, so I'm assuming (yeah, i know) that it is the 1964 stats. In other words, it is the modern board/online game just using the data from that particular year. I think.

Yeah, makes sense. I was probably just over thinking it there for a moment.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #61
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
If you've got your heart set on that, it's fine with me as long as no one else complains.

Heh, it was a half-joke. I could go for the Cleveland Spiders.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:42 PM   #62
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I'm feeling confused.

John, you're right...if you were to have ordered the game in 1967 you'd have received the 66 season. But in this case we are actually playing 67 stats...
Old 05-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #63
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

By the way, don't know if it matters, but 25 man rosters...

probably need to draft a few extra to have on reserve to prevent a ridiculous amount of drop/add transactions due to a large number of free agents...

Last edited by Breeze : 05-15-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:04 PM   #64
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
probably need to draft a few extra to have on reserve to prevent a ridiculous amount of drop/add transactions due to a large number of free agents...

Speaking of - although maybe I've missed it somewhere - what about rules for moving players from active/reserve list?

And refresh my memory please, how does SOM handle injuries in career/replay mode?
Old 05-15-2013, 09:37 PM   #65
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Speaking of - although maybe I've missed it somewhere - what about rules for moving players from active/reserve list?

And refresh my memory please, how does SOM handle injuries in career/replay mode?

Typically, in online leagues transactions are handled in one of a couple of ways...

1. every X number of games...so if we say 10 games...then you'll set your roster/lineups/rotation etc and at the end of 10 games you can change it

2. set a time frame (2 weeks, month etc.) then changes are done in the same manner as above

I'm open to trying whatever the crowd wants, but I reserve the right to change if I find the administration of the changes becomes too time consuming.

--------------------

As for injuries, they are built into each players card. The game will alert you to an injury and let you know the extent. On the low end the player shakes it off and can stay in the game to a max of 15 games...

Remember in many replay leagues batters and pitchers are held to the same number of innings pitched or plate appearances they had for the season, and in this case injuries would be turned off because players would already be restricted by the injury that occurred in real life. This is often where the Fluke cards referred to in an earlier thread come from...
Old 05-15-2013, 09:38 PM   #66
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Love the questions...so keep'em coming if you aren't clear about something. And let me know if my explanations aren't helping. I've played this game for years and sometimes I assume to much when I try to outline how things work...
Old 05-15-2013, 09:57 PM   #67
DavidCorperial
High School Varsity

Does Defense for players get factored in at all?
DavidCorperial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #68
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidCorperial View Post
Does Defense for players get factored in at all?

Yes, defense counts. I'm not sure how you want to handle this. My initial thought was to allow you to draft based on your understanding of a players defense (sort of like using scouts - may be right, may be wrong). However, if you guys want the actual defensive ratings I can see what I can do to provide them to you...
Old 05-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #69
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Yes, defense counts. I'm not sure how you want to handle this. My initial thought was to allow you to draft based on your understanding of a players defense (sort of like using scouts - may be right, may be wrong). However, if you guys want the actual defensive ratings I can see what I can do to provide them to you...

Hey, make us do our research, like good GMs...heh

David, just make sure you get Ray Oyler, he is a defensive wiz
Old 05-16-2013, 01:58 PM   #70
DavidCorperial
High School Varsity

I'd rather have Hal Lanier for just defense

Last edited by DavidCorperial : 05-16-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:42 PM   #71
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Too bad Dick Stuart sort of retired in 66 or you could have had him...
Dr. Strangeglove

Edit: I am aware he played a little in 1969...after being out of baseball for 2 years...

Last edited by Breeze : 05-16-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:39 PM   #72
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

League Update

I don't know how many of you are reading my Dynasty League Baseball Dynasty...but there are a couple of items that you can do if you'd like. To add color to the game you can provide me with names for the following...

Manager's Name
1st Base Coach
3rd Base Coach
Pitching Coach
Hitting Coach
Bullpen Coach
Bench Coach
Groundskeeper
Trainer
Doctor
Owner
GM
Play by Play Man
Color Man

I know it is overkill and you don't have to provide any. Right now the teams are set up with the information from a team in 1967...so you have real coaches from that year...

I'm ready to start the draft...but I think we need to determine how many rounds...
Old 05-16-2013, 09:00 PM   #73
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Also, just an FYI...I will be setting up 2 divisions of 5 teams...and I'll divide the teams into their divisions by taking the odd and even positions in the draft as long as I can get a random order with the two bot teams in different divisions.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:48 PM   #74
BYU 14
Coordinator

Why not

Manager's Name - Connie Mack
1st Base Coach - Honus Wagner
3rd Base Coach - Frank Baker
Pitching Coach - Chief Bender
Hitting Coach - Hack Wilson
Bullpen Coach - Rube Waddell
Bench Coach - Ray Schalk
Groundskeeper - Bugs Raymond
Trainer - Charles Faust
Doctor - Moonlight Graham
Owner - Ty Cobb
GM - Sam Crawford
Play by Play Man - Damon Runyon
Color Man - Dizzy Dean
Old 05-16-2013, 10:26 PM   #75
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

This isn't as random a group as it might seem. With the exception of groundskeeper Pursley and analyst Johnson, every single one of the people named below was a part of the actual Atlanta Crackers organization during their history (most of them managers).

Harwell is probably the most famous, as he was traded - as an announcer - to the Dodgers for Cliff Dapper. Red Barber was diagnosed with a bleeding ulcer, Branch Rickey called his friend Earl Mann in Atlanta and said "I need an announcer". Mann replied "I need a catcher". And the deal was done.

Atlanta Crackers
Manager's Name - Gene Mauch
1st Base Coach - Dixie Walker
3rd Base Coach - Joe Schultz
Pitching Coach - Rube Walker
Hitting Coach - Harry "The Hat" Walker
Bullpen Coach - Whitlow Wyatt
Bench Coach - Clyde King
Groundskeeper --- default is fine
Trainer - Dave Pursley
Doctor - default is fine
Owner - Earl Mann
GM - Paul Richards
Play by Play Man - Ernie Harwell
Color Man - Ernie Johnson, Sr
Old 05-17-2013, 06:01 AM   #76
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Why not

Doctor - Moonlight Graham

Love this one...
Old 05-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #77
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Since no one has chimed in, I'm going to suggest between 35 and 40 players per team. At any point during the draft you can request the AI finish your picks...so don't think you have to do all 40 rounds...

Comments, complaints, suggestions???

Last edited by Breeze : 05-17-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:03 AM   #78
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Since no one has chimed in, I'm going to suggest between 35 and 40 players per team. At any point during the draft you can request the AI finish your picks...so don't think you have to do all 40 rounds...

Comments, complaints, suggestions???

Off hand I'd say 35. Leaves a little more in the FA pool for those who might be inclined to fish there at some point, and my guess is that half of even 10 players in the "minors" won't be used anyway. Plus, it's not as though the protected list (which I guess will be in the 7-10 range based on the earlier discussion) leaves a lot of room for stashing prospects there.

Just my .02, I certainly don't have any huge objection if everybody else feels strongly about the larger number.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #79
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Off hand I'd say 35. Leaves a little more in the FA pool for those who might be inclined to fish there at some point, and my guess is that half of even 10 players in the "minors" won't be used anyway. Plus, it's not as though the protected list (which I guess will be in the 7-10 range based on the earlier discussion) leaves a lot of room for stashing prospects there.

Just my .02, I certainly don't have any huge objection if everybody else feels strongly about the larger number.

Works for me.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #80
BYU 14
Coordinator

I like 35 too
Old 05-17-2013, 11:46 AM   #81
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I like 35 too

3 votes for 35 is probably enough...we only have 8 managers total so we'll go with 35. I'll post the draft order this weekend and if you notice it is your pick you can make it whenever you want, but I will not enforce time limits until next week...
Old 05-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #82
Suicane75
Coordinator

35 sounds like a good number to moi.

Just use the default for all the staff options for me.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #83
Suicane75
Coordinator

I've just been perusing baseball reference to bone up on 1967, and man, this is going to be fun.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #84
Suicane75
Coordinator

And thank you Breeze for doing this.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #85
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
And thank you Breeze for doing this.

Ditto, thank you!!
Old 05-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #86
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
35 sounds like a good number to moi.

Just use the default for all the staff options for me.

Default and 35 for me too. And the thanks.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:13 PM   #87
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Refresh my SOM memory (which is mostly just what I've learned over the years through osmosis anyway) ... are outfielders simply OF's or are there significant differences in their defensive ratings by LF/CF/RF?

I'm thinking the latter but wanted to be sure.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:43 PM   #88
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Refresh my SOM memory (which is mostly just what I've learned over the years through osmosis anyway) ... are outfielders simply OF's or are there significant differences in their defensive ratings by LF/CF/RF?

I'm thinking the latter but wanted to be sure.

Excellent question...and I'm glad you said something. I didn't think of mentioning it, but this is a very important point. Each outfielder is rated only in the positions that they played. So your assumption was correct, you can't assume if you pick 3 outfielders that you've covered all your positions. Many outfielders will play multiple outfield spots, and if you pick a CF and they don't play the other OF spots I'll add ratings to allow that (I figure any CF can play another OF slot). Obviously, I won't mess with the OF arms though...so if you draft a CF with a weak arm, they might still hurt you if you move them to right...

I'll work with you guys to help make sure you have everything covered...

I'm holding off on posting the draft order, I'm seeing if I can add a couple of additional teams...I'll still post the order this weekend though...
Old 05-17-2013, 10:02 PM   #89
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

IIRC, in an emergency (say an injury situation) any player can technically play any position but the defensive penalties for playing someone out of position are brutal, downright punitive. It's basically NEVER a good idea.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:21 PM   #90
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
IIRC, in an emergency (say an injury situation) any player can technically play any position but the defensive penalties for playing someone out of position are brutal, downright punitive. It's basically NEVER a good idea.

exactly...
Old 05-19-2013, 09:22 AM   #91
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Dynasty Update

All,

My brother, who is part of the Dynasty League Baseball thread, is going to play in this as well...he probably should get signed up today. To balance things out I'm proposing allowing Bear and Brett (in case you don't follow along with the Swim Like A Champion Thread...they are my 11 and 12 year old boys) to draft a team. They don't really follow baseball that closely and they certainly don't know the history of the league that well (meaning 67 will be a completely new experience to them), but they appear to be willing to play along. This is why I haven't posted the draft order yet...let me know if any of you have any reservations with this arrangement. I will completely understand if you feel they may have some inside information or unfair advantage.

Also, I have a few more settings that you will be able to set, and I want to describe them, because it may impact how you draft. Most likely it will impact how you set strategy after the draft, but still feel you need to be aware. I'll try to post before going to the meet this afternoon....
Old 05-19-2013, 09:54 AM   #92
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

ok, reading back through my earlier posts, I realize I did post the player specific settings so no new items to add...
Old 05-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #93
DavidCorperial
High School Varsity

I've got no problems with letting them in.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:33 AM   #94
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

No reservations from me.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #95
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

No worries afaic.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:35 PM   #96
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Yo Breeze, could you take a look at the 1967 roster sheet linked at this site to see if it appears to be an accurate list of the carded players we'll be drafting from?

I suspect that a lot of people will be using sources like baseball-reference to help with their picks & one of the things that I think might catch people off guard is just how deep we're going to be in the player pool by the time the draft is over. It's a 20 team real-life universe, so there's a LOT fewer players available than we're used to in modern times.

With 10 teams/35 man rosters (counting reserves), over half the carded pitchers are going to be in use & I think it would be pretty easy to come across players who look draftable based on real world stats (or '68 potential) but who aren't carded in the set.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #97
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Also, will the *asterisk rule for resting SP's be in use, or will we have a mandatory 4 day rest rule in order to keep things simple?
Old 05-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #98
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
No reservations from me.

Ditto
Old 05-19-2013, 09:27 PM   #99
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Yo Breeze, could you take a look at the 1967 roster sheet linked at this site to see if it appears to be an accurate list of the carded players we'll be drafting from?

I suspect that a lot of people will be using sources like baseball-reference to help with their picks & one of the things that I think might catch people off guard is just how deep we're going to be in the player pool by the time the draft is over. It's a 20 team real-life universe, so there's a LOT fewer players available than we're used to in modern times.

With 10 teams/35 man rosters (counting reserves), over half the carded pitchers are going to be in use & I think it would be pretty easy to come across players who look draftable based on real world stats (or '68 potential) but who aren't carded in the set.

Jon,

The site looks exactly right. I didn't check every player and every team, but I did go over 5 teams default lineups and they matched perfectly. I think that is a great resource for the list of names. It is possible there may be a player or two that I don't have in the computer game that were printed as extra players and could be listed in that page, but we can address that during the draft if someone trys to pick one of those players.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:28 PM   #100
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Also, will the *asterisk rule for resting SP's be in use, or will we have a mandatory 4 day rest rule in order to keep things simple?

I figured we would use a standard rotation...given that you guys can't see the * pitchers when you are drafting...