Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-08-2018, 11:13 AM   #551
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Counterpoint, ND could very easily have lost to Vanderbilt at home.
Counter to the counterpoint - it was after that game where Kelly finally agreed with the fanbase that Wimbush isn't good enough throwing the ball, and the offense that didn't top 24 points vs Vandy & Ball State (and Michigan) has 31+ in 5/6 games since with Book at QB.

But mostly yes, FSU and their OL in particular is that bad.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:42 AM   #552
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Counter to the counterpoint - it was after that game where Kelly finally agreed with the fanbase that Wimbush isn't good enough throwing the ball, and the offense that didn't top 24 points vs Vandy & Ball State (and Michigan) has 31+ in 5/6 games since with Book at QB.

But mostly yes, FSU and their OL in particular is that bad.

Counter to your counter to the counterpoint, Wimbush is playing on Saturday, and Florida State is pretty much the ACCs Vanderbilt right now. No offense whatsoever, but the defense can play when motivated.

I do not think it's going to happen, but it is POSSIBLE. And more than like a 1-in-100 possible, I would say like 1-in-20.

Last edited by Butter : 11-08-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:01 PM   #553
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Counter to your counter to the counterpoint, Wimbush is playing on Saturday, and Florida State is pretty much the ACCs Vanderbilt right now. No offense whatsoever, but the defense can play when motivated.

I do not think it's going to happen, but it is POSSIBLE. And more than like a 1-in-100 possible, I would say like 1-in-20.
Aah, I hadn't checked. Figured Book was playing since he didn't come out last week. With the NCAA rule that a FR gets 4 free games we might as well just throw Phil Jurkovec out there.

I do still think that the Coney/Okwara/Tillery/Daelin Hayes quartet will have a field day and field position alone will win out, but if FSU can get some turnovers and return yards the door is open now.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:42 PM   #554
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

FSU scoring on D or putting the offense in the red zone multiple times is about the only way this happens. Even special teams is horrible. We will have a couple of flags on every kickoff or punt, so a return TD is also unlikely.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:58 PM   #555
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I did forget to add - the tailgating scene is quite a bit tamer than big southern schools, but it's an amazing campus and game day experience. Have fun with your daughter for the weekend - it's something every college football fan should do once!
Old 11-08-2018, 01:58 PM   #556
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Yes, Syracuse hasn't beaten anybody and they have an inflated poll number due to other teams losing....I don't have any great aspirations for them, but winning 7 (hopefully at least 8 with Louisville still on the schedule) games of any manner is still pretty novel for them. They've only won 9 or more once since my Sophomore year there in 1997.

Syracuse is building a nice team.
I am a big Babers fan. If can they keep him there he will make noise.
That offense is tough to defend and as he fills in the depth chart...
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:24 PM   #557
General Mike
Pro Starter

This bum get fired yet?
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:04 PM   #558
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I did forget to add - the tailgating scene is quite a bit tamer than big southern schools, but it's an amazing campus and game day experience. Have fun with your daughter for the weekend - it's something every college football fan should do once!

Yeah I'm looking forward to it for that reason alone. Literally,that appears to be the sole reason left to justify going.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-08-2018, 05:08 PM   #559
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Syracuse is building a nice team.
I am a big Babers fan. If can they keep him there he will make noise.
That offense is tough to defend and as he fills in the depth chart...

My brother went to Eastern Illinois which was his first break. He was the guy who put Jimmy Garoppolo on the map. They almost won a national title and had a really cool offense. Beat Fresno State and was really close to knocking off that Northern Illinois team that went to the Rose Bowl.

He's a great coach and it'll be interesting to see what happens next in his career. Have to figure a bigger school might come calling someday.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:19 PM   #560
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
My brother went to Eastern Illinois which was his first break. He was the guy who put Jimmy Garoppolo on the map. They almost won a national title and had a really cool offense. Beat Fresno State and was really close to knocking off that Northern Illinois team that went to the Rose Bowl.

He's a great coach and it'll be interesting to see what happens next in his career. Have to figure a bigger school might come calling someday.

The one hope we have retention-wise is that while Babers kind of presents as young, energetic, rising coach - he's actually 57 already. The hope is that he continues to build up the program and then gets to the point where he's 60 and maybe is happy where is in a lower-pressure environment, and is not a super-hot candidate for the bigger schools due to his age. And that the Syracuse stability is more appealing than starting over as a 60-something guy at a mid-level Big Ten program or something.

Last edited by molson : 11-08-2018 at 08:22 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:27 AM   #561
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDalltheway View Post
Really hoping Louisville can't come up with the money to buy-out Petrino. Jeff Brohm is an incredible coach and is doing some amazing things with one of worst hands that could be dealt to a Power 5 coach. I really hope he likes the idea of competing for the B1G West year and year out and isn't ready to go back to the shit show that is UL right now.

Speaking of which...

Christian Academy football star Milton Wright commits Purdue

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-09-2018 at 07:29 AM.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:34 AM   #562
Butter
Coordinator

Wake with the upset over NC State last night. Not a total surprise, as Doeren is a terrible coach, but he really made some questionable decisions. They had 4 easily winnable games to an 11-win season, a possible top-10 regular season finish and maybe a NY6 bowl. Gone now.

Last edited by Butter : 11-09-2018 at 07:34 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:10 AM   #563
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Wake with the upset over NC State last night. Not a total surprise, as Doeren is a terrible coach, but he really made some questionable decisions. They had 4 easily winnable games to an 11-win season, a possible top-10 regular season finish and maybe a NY6 bowl. Gone now.

The day that Doeren leaves NCSU I will die a little inside.
My business partner is an NCSU alum, HUGE donor (name on parts of the facilities huge) and bigger Doeren fan.

Every year "this is our year"....I have taken to feigning concern for Clemson every game to get his hopes further up.

I like ole Dave right where he is
Old 11-10-2018, 05:07 PM   #564
PilotMan
Head Coach

Well, North Dakota State wrapped up their 8th straight Missouri Valley Football Conference title today. They finish the regular season 10-0, ranked #1. They will be the #1 see in the playoffs with home field advantage once again. Playing at home is such a huge advantage for us, but this team has only had a couple games this year that were close. The MVC might not be as tough this year as they've been in the past, but any team is going to struggle against us on a good day. On a bad day, I'd say a good team could knock us off. It's no sure thing, but we're in as good a position as any team could ask for.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 06:39 PM   #565
cuervo72
Head Coach

Well, I'm glad I got to see Purdue play Iowa and not Minnesota!
Old 11-10-2018, 07:19 PM   #566
Thomkal
Head Coach

Congrats to NDSU Their one-time foe Coastal Carolina lost miserably today in their quest to become bowl eligible, and they have two tries left.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:10 PM   #567
Edward64
Head Coach

AR down 14-3 to LSU at the half.

I think we had less than 40 yards of offense until the last 2 min or so but defense is playing decent against #7.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:28 PM   #568
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

For those who thought perhaps Brandon Wimbush might give FSU a chance, it looks as though ND could have started (35 y/o former GT linebacker & now convicted felon) Ricardo Wimbush at QB and still been okay.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-10-2018 at 08:28 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:26 PM   #569
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Congrats to NDSU Their one-time foe Coastal Carolina lost miserably today in their quest to become bowl eligible, and they have two tries left.

When do you guys become a full member of FBS?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:10 PM   #570
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

There is a certain consistency to CMR

Since last season's 10-0 start, Miami is 5-8.

CMR's tenure there has gone like this (saw this summary on Twitter)
4 straight wins, 4 straight losses, 15 straight wins, 4 straight losses, 5 straight wins, 4 straight losses
Old 11-10-2018, 10:16 PM   #571
RainMaker
General Manager

Pat Fitzgerald is a good coach.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:25 PM   #572
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

There's some crazy shit still on the table this year.

While it would require losing to Indiana (which feels like a stretch), it's possible that Purdue could beat Boston College, Ohio State, and Iowa and still not end up bowl eligible.

If somebody gave them those three wins at the start of the season, the odds of at least winning six would had to have been enormous.

You could end up with both Va Tech and Miami both being stuck on 5 wins. TCU & Oklahoma State could find themselves playing each other for win #6 in the regular season finale, just a year removed from being bowl eligible before the last game of October.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-10-2018 at 10:27 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:03 AM   #573
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Praying that Helton is gone by the day after the ND game.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:25 AM   #574
Ksyrup

We're staying at an old farmhouse about 40 minutes south of South Bend. Had a great time yesterday.

Campus is beautiful, but South Bend looks like Gary Indiana otherwise.

Fans were super-friendly. Probably helped that we sucked and all the FSU fans were resigned to keeping it competitive as the pipe dream, but it was fun in the stands. The dad/son we went with sold his 2 good seats for 4 in the FSU section (corner where the flagpole is).

Hanging with all the FSU fans was cathartic in a way, since I'm so far from Tally. We just reveled in the suck. Guys were hugging ND fans when we got a 1st down and stuff like that.

It was cold but really not terrible. My face was the worst. Once I transferred the hand warmers to my feet, I was good.

Game-wise, this is just a terrible FB team in every sense. QB missing open receivers, and when he hit them in the hands/belly, they dropped it. DBs have apparently been taught to never find the ball and just run into the receiver, either right before or right after the ball arrives. We took 3 TOs in the 1st 16 minutes of the game.

Positives - we kinda ran the ball decent, except when it mattered. Despite all the ineptitude, we had a chance to make it a 2-score game with 3 shots from the 1 - and didn't get in. That's when we left. Wimbush is a terrible decision maker and kept us in the game. And... we held NDs RB to under 15 yards a carry, I think.

No shot at a bowl. If we pull off wins vs BC and UF, it'll be almost unbelievable.

Another positive - I got to miss UK laying an egg in predictable fashion.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:20 AM   #575
Ksyrup

One other thing I forgot to mention... We went into the bookstore, and it was insane. I kept thinking this is what Disney World looks like. I bet you could fully fund a D1 FB program off of the bookstore itself.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:26 AM   #576
Ksyrup

Petrino out.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:37 AM   #577
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
When do you guys become a full member of FBS?

after this season.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:47 AM   #578
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Petrino out.

Com'on Arkansas, go get him. Let bygones by bygones.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:00 PM   #579
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Com'on Arkansas, go get him. Let bygones by bygones.

Vroom vroom
Old 11-11-2018, 12:13 PM   #580
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Vroom vroom

Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:26 PM   #581
Atocep
Coordinator

In all seriousness though, I don't know why a P5 school would even consider Petrino right now.
Old 11-11-2018, 01:58 PM   #582
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

The next few weeks should be fun as a Boilermaker fan. Hoping Jeff gives his brother (Brian) the opportunity down there at UL

Last edited by INDalltheway : 11-11-2018 at 01:59 PM.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:53 PM   #583
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Virginia Tech is going to say goodbye to the NCAA longest active bowl streak at 26 years.

They will also say goodbye to their 14 year win-streak over UVa.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:15 PM   #584
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
In addition to Petrino, Louisville also let go of quarterbacks coach Nick Petrino, son of Bobby Petrino, and the team's linebackers coach and defensive line coach, who are Petrino's sons-in-law.

Bet it'll be an interesting holiday gathering
Old 11-11-2018, 03:26 PM   #585
Atocep
Coordinator

Rumor that Auburn is considering paying the $32 million buyout on Malzahn if they feel they can land the right guy.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:40 PM   #586
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
In all seriousness though, I don't know why a P5 school would even consider Petrino right now.

Because beggars can't be choosers.

AR with Petrino in 4 years 34-17 or 67%
AR since Petrino (as of last Sat) 35-50 or 41%

And toss in a couple major bowls - Cotton & Sugar + Liberty.

He did this with the same talent that I've heard used as a crutch many times before. Somehow, he was able to make it work here.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:44 PM   #587
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

He did this with the same talent that I've heard used as a crutch many times before. Somehow, he was able to make it work here.

He's also not the same coach he was then.

He has zero P5 wins this year and it looks like he's not even trying as far as recruiting goes this season. As you can see from Jon's post above, he's also filled his staff with family rather than good candidates and there's been rumors all season that his off the field life is back to being the mess it was when he was at Arkansas.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:52 PM   #588
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
He's also not the same coach he was then.

He has zero P5 wins this year and it looks like he's not even trying as far as recruiting goes this season. As you can see from Jon's post above, he's also filled his staff with family rather than good candidates and there's been rumors all season that his off the field life is back to being the mess it was when he was at Arkansas.

His current tenure at Louisville is 36-26 or 58%. Four winning seasons until this current year.

AR would die for something like that.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:04 PM   #589
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
His current tenure at Louisville is 36-26 or 58%. Four winning seasons until this current year. AR would die for something like that.

But would they (rationally) die for something like 10-16 in his last 26 games?
Because since the 9-1 start in 2016, that's what he's been.

And that's with a 1-3 bowl record against SEC teams over his current tenure.

Bielema was better than that.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:19 PM   #590
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
But would they (rationally) die for something like 10-16 in his last 26 games?
Because since the 9-1 start in 2016, that's what he's been.

And that's with a 1-3 bowl record against SEC teams over his current tenure.

Bielema was better than that.

In our last 22 games, we are 6-16 (part Bielema & Morris) and 1 SEC conference win. So maybe wouldn't die for it but yeah, better than our current mess.

Like I said, we are beggars right now.

In all seriousness, Morris deserves a chance but its pretty darn painful this year. I actually thought we had a decent backup QB last year to take over but apparently not.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:23 PM   #591
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:35 PM   #592
Edward64
Head Coach

If that was live TV that really sucks.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:31 PM   #593
Atocep
Coordinator

So Zach Smith's Twitter is worth a read today.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:52 PM   #594
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Virginia Tech is going to say goodbye to the NCAA longest active bowl streak at 26 years.

They will also say goodbye to their 14 year win-streak over UVa.

Sorry, no, FSU will be losing its 36 year bowl streak this year. You can vacate a win, but you can't un-ring the bell of actually playing a game. That's the stupidest part of the whole "vacating" concept. All the games happened, but the wins don't count.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:42 PM   #595
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
So Zach Smith's Twitter is worth a read today.

So I am guessing that Herman did not find a spot for him on the UT staff?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:57 PM   #596
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Vroom vroom

If you believe he wrecked a motorcycle I've got some ocean front property in ....lavonia...to sell ya.

Quote:

This time around Petrino got lazy. He built that same castle on GA castoffs and jucos
Old 11-12-2018, 12:14 AM   #597
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Location: Osaka, Japan via Honolulu, Hawaii via Birmingham, Alabama
How bout them UAB Blazers! #27 in the country!
Old 11-13-2018, 01:02 PM   #598
Thomkal
Head Coach

Myrtle Beach getting its own bowl game starting in 2020. It will feature qualifying schools from the Sun Belt, MAC and USA through 2025. I suppose I should be saying Yeah! but traffic already horrible here and only going to get worse as we are exploding with new/expanding housing developments here including my own. Wouldn't want to be anywhere near here with bowl traffic added in.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:20 PM   #599
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

USC sucks.

(It's rivalry week hehe)

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:20 PM   #600
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
What stadium are they going to use? Isn't Coastal Carolina's stadium only 10,000 seats or something like that?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote