Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-30-2010, 07:07 PM   #1
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Steam...and Looking for a Game

So, I have a pretty middle-of-the-road for being 3 years old laptop, and I'm looking for something to play. I've heard a lot of good things about Steam but don't really know how it works. How does it work? Are there any games on it my computer could run? I'm looking for either adventure-type games (akin to the Monkey Island games) or an RPG-type game that could be played without a mouse (or, with the touchpad on my laptop). Is there any other service that might suit me better? My computer, as I said, is fairly ho-hum:
NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
Intel Core2 Duo T7500 @2.20 GHz, 2.00 GB RAM
84 GB free on my hard drive

I'm getting an injection for my herniated disc on Monday and am trying to lay low til then, and right now my XBOX and Pokemon just aren't doing it for me.

/tk

terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:38 PM   #2
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Football Manager 2010? Ok, you said adventure. Well, FM can be an adventure? Good luck with your injection.

As far as how it works, you just download the client onto your machine and then when you buy games, they'll be accessible via Steam. You don't have to be online to use them, either. It's worked great, I was leery when a few games required it, but it's nicer than elicense because I don't have to worry if I switch machines or don't play a game for ages where I put the license or whether I unlicensed or whatever.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 04-30-2010 at 07:40 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:42 PM   #3
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Every game gives system requirements, so it shouldn't be hard to find something that works for your machine.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:44 PM   #4
Peregrine
Pro Starter

If you haven't tried it, try Plants vs Zombies - should be low system requirements and it is fun as hell.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:45 PM   #5
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

They are working on Steam for Linux....I can't wait. They need to get the Mac version out of the way in May and hopefully Linux comes within a year (trying to be optimistic about it).
Old 04-30-2010, 07:48 PM   #6
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
If you haven't tried it, try Plants vs Zombies - should be low system requirements and it is fun as hell.

That's a great game, I've got it on my iPod Touch and my computer.

Looking right now more for something where I can kill an orc or something, but maybe I should just go try to beat Bejeweled 2 like that dude did.

/tk
Old 04-30-2010, 08:51 PM   #7
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Every game gives system requirements, so it shouldn't be hard to find something that works for your machine.

Yeah, but that assumes I know what they mean..specifically related to graphics. RAM and hard drive space, I'm good with. Graphics, not so much.

Which is why I ask for recs.

/tk
Old 04-30-2010, 09:23 PM   #8
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Torchlight is a fun Diablo clone, but watch for sales as it sells for cheap every couple of weeks.

You'll probably have to turn the graphics down, but the new King's Bounty games are fun.

The Freedom Force games are cheap and would work.

Pirates! and Space Rangers 2 aren't killing orcs, but would work.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:58 PM   #9
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

The Longest Journey, if you haven't played it yet. The last great adventure game for $10.

I only say this cause I just bought it from Steam, even though I have the original release and all it's CDs.

Last edited by jeff061 : 04-30-2010 at 09:58 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:14 AM   #10
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Yeah, but that assumes I know what they mean..specifically related to graphics. RAM and hard drive space, I'm good with. Graphics, not so much.
Can you run it? - http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/CYRI/intro.aspx

(I've had to run it in IE, not Firefox.)

Last edited by BishopMVP : 05-01-2010 at 12:50 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 06:36 AM   #11
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Torchlight is a fun Diablo clone, but watch for sales as it sells for cheap every couple of weeks.

You'll probably have to turn the graphics down, but the new King's Bounty games are fun.

The Freedom Force games are cheap and would work.

Pirates! and Space Rangers 2 aren't killing orcs, but would work.

TK, my desktop PC is now three years and while I upgraded my video card this Winter, before the holidays, it was still running with a cheapo integrated video card.

I was able to run Torchlight easily and I highly recommend it if you want a cartoony hack and slash type game where you get to kill tons of creatures with some quests to do. There's a demo for Torchlight on Steam btw.

King's Bounty I was also able to run back then, but it was a bit choppy. KB is a nice blend of a game with real time movement but battles are done on a turn based system, the choppiness then never took away from my enjoyment of the game. It was just more beautiful with the new graphics card.

I also have both Freedom Force games but have not played them yet. They are older games with a superheroes feel to it. They certainly should work with your setup, given how old the games are.

Hope this helps.

FM
Old 05-03-2010, 12:26 AM   #12
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I have KOTOR, Freedom Force, and the X-Com collection on Steam (total cost: $9!?! during a couple of specials). KOTOR runs just fine on my laptop but I haven't tried the others yet.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:36 PM   #13
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

one I forgot and that you might be able to play is Titan Quest, with its expansion. Was reminded of it when I saw that it is on sale ad D2D:
http://www.direct2drive.com/177/3304...undle-Download

$4.95 for the game and its expansion is a GREAT deal. Lots of fun, cool storyline, and you get to kill mythological type of creatures.

I know I was able to play it reasonably well before upgrading my graphics card

FM
Old 05-12-2010, 06:45 PM   #14
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

If you are still looking Steam has Torchlight on sale for 9.99
Old 06-15-2010, 07:16 PM   #15
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Is there a current PC game that is equivalent to the Age of Empires/Empire Earth titles from a few years back?
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote