Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-18-2010, 01:31 PM   #51
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
(and the tank version, forget the name)

Open Fire
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...

Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:32 PM   #52
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
If I had my druthers, I would probably put Advanced Squad Leader (ASL) in there as the Holy Grail of wargames.

Didn't see that answer coming....

You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 11-18-2010, 01:33 PM   #53
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Chess
Backgammon
Mancala
Monopoly

Replace Mancala with Go and that's a pretty good list there.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:35 PM   #54
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
I'm not sure I even consider chess a board game. Yes, it's a game, played on a board, so that's kind of stupid. But it's just kind of off on a more distinguished plane than Monopoly or Life. "Board Game" has kind of a lower culture vibe to me.

I get what you're saying. All-time board games versus 'modern' board games.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:03 PM   #55
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Didn't see that answer coming....

But what other game has the replayability of it? Once you have the system, you can do any squad level combat from WWII. Even fighting the same battle, you can see the different takes the scenario designers had regarding the battle.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:25 PM   #56
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
But what other game has the replayability of it? Once you have the system, you can do any squad level combat from WWII. Even fighting the same battle, you can see the different takes the scenario designers had regarding the battle.

Just giving you a hard time.

I really to dig into it. I have the rules and 4 or 5 different modules sitting around just waiting to be dug into. My board game time lately has been limited to those I know well or those very easy to pickup.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:59 PM   #57
QuikSand
lolzcat

Okay, so let's take the historical classics out of the definition, I'm good with that, and it avoids the debate about such widely disparate entries like mancala versus Trivial Pursuit.

If it's the more lowbrow/commercial meaning of board game, then I think you start with Monopoly. That's what I usually do with my MR thinking (and I do this over drinks a fair bit) -- start at the top, and then later on try to engineer some sort of balance or representation elements if I think it's necessary to do so. So Monopoly is in, it may not be the best board game ever, but it's indisputably the greatest.

Monopoly

Okay, then we get into other all-time popular games like Life, Scrabble, Candy Land, Stratego, and Risk. To cover every base is too many entries, so you have to decide how to whittle down the list. I rarely think the best approach is to simply rank in order of overall popularity, but rather to come up with entries that perhaps suggest genres or directions that the list of four can't really cover. (In the way that having T.R. on the mountain somehow gives you echoes of other "big stick" types, like Andrew Jackson, Harry Truman, and Ronald Reagan)

To me, this filters out a game like Life. It is widespread and popular, but the game basically stinks and adds nothing to the genre of any significant value. In the board-game-as-simulation-of-experience, Life is far lesser than Monopoly, and deservedly so. I say it's out.

On the other hand, look at Scrabble. Word games are an enormous subset of gaming in general, and general knowledge of the Scrabble game (things like the values of certain tiles, and the basic elements of the gameplay and strategy) is just a reasonable expectation of any sentient member of this society. Scrabble has a rabid following to this day, despite being around for a long, long time. There's a meaningful genre of word-based games, but this one remains the king. In.

Scrabble

Some people want the more complicated game, on beyond what you get from Monopoly. That argues for something like Axis & Allies, and I think that would be a defensible choice. However, in the overall war game genre, there is already one of the all-time greats in Risk. And again, you don't expect this sort of knowledge from roughly half of the population... but among "our" half, you can strike up a conversation with any random guy at a bar and ask him about defending Kamchatka or holing up in the four-part Australia, and if that guy doesn't suddenly have something to talk about with you, you know he's a martian or something. It's super-popular, suggests a major genre, and also has its own etching on pop culture. In.

Risk

Now, the last spot is the toughest, to me. I ten to look for balance here, or another representative of something bigger or broader. Trivial Pursuit was a revolution in board gaming in the 1980s (and I have no fewer than 8 versions in the game parlor at home) so I think that is definitely a viable candidate. I also have respect for the fairly recent European-driven renaissance among some more complicated, nuanced, and brilliant games. As mentioned above, the standard bearer in that genre is definitely The Settlers of Catan, even if it isn't my personal favorite or even the best game, it's fairly clearly the correct entry if that's what you want to pick up. In my mind, either of these two games would be excellent additions to round out the list of four. I also think that Candy Land, as the obvious selection among kid-oriented games, is a defensible choice. However, I think the kid-centered game really isn't a monumental segment of the board game universe - there's Candy Land and a few lame-ass pretenders, and that's basically it. You don't pick up other great games by reference by including it on the MR list, and here I think it loses out on those grounds.

In a fairly close call, I will acknowledge the greatness of the recent Euro revolution and pick the door-opener there, edging out a greater game itself, but one that didn't open doors to a lot more than sequels.

Settlers of Catan
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:18 PM   #58
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Okay, if the classics are indeed out, then I'll go with

Monopoly, Risk, Battleship, and finish with Ticket to Ride as the newcomer entry.

But y'know what I seriously considered? Connect Four.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-18-2010 at 03:19 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:59 PM   #59
DanGarion
Coordinator

I always interpreted these types of threads as MY Mount Rushmore of *blank*. And that is the way I approached it.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:09 PM   #60
MJ4H
Coordinator

If you take out the chesses (<--heh) of the world, my list is exactly Quiksand's for basically the exact reasons.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:16 PM   #61
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

wow - the board game version of Connect 4 must suck.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:18 PM   #62
moriarty
College Starter

Niche Rushmore:

Twilight Struggle
Dday at Omaha Beach
Labyrinth - war on terror
Last night on earth
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:38 PM   #63
tarcone
Coordinator

Statis Pro Baseball
Risk
Backgammon
Supremacy
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:17 PM   #64
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Chess
Checkers
Monopoly
Scrabble
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:21 AM   #65
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty View Post
Niche Rushmore:
Last night on earth

I order this one and should be delivered today so, I'm interested to check this one out.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:06 PM   #66
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Okay, if the classics are indeed out, then I'll go with

Monopoly, Risk, Battleship, and finish with Ticket to Ride as the newcomer entry.

Curious if Connect 4 would even be eligible.

It would be found in the board game section of a toy store I'd think, but is it a board game?

I'd throw out the names Jenga and in the Classics division, Twister.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:36 AM   #67
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
I order this one and should be delivered today so, I'm interested to check this one out.

Fun game ... and of course ZOMBIES!!!

Warning though, you risk getting sucked into buying all the expansions as well .... somehow I ended up with 3 of them.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:56 PM   #68
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty View Post
Fun game ... and of course ZOMBIES!!!

Warning though, you risk getting sucked into buying all the expansions as well .... somehow I ended up with 3 of them.

Forgot to follow back up on this one.

Last night on Earth definitely similar to Zombies, but more meat to it. Very easy to pickup. Didn't pop in the CD though.