Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-13-2014, 06:25 AM   #101
FLC28
Beyond The Sideline Developer

Quote:
It took them days to find the Air France flight....

While it did take them years to locate the black box, debris were found within 24 hours by the Brazilian Air Force.

Now of course they had the benefit of knowing in which area to look, something which doesn't seem to be the case here.
FLC28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:28 AM   #102
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I am pretty sure they know where to look... somewhere in this map:

Last edited by Alan T : 03-13-2014 at 06:28 AM.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:56 AM   #103
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLC28 View Post
While it did take them years to locate the black box, debris were found within 24 hours by the Brazilian Air Force.

Now of course they had the benefit of knowing in which area to look, something which doesn't seem to be the case here.

That being said, the Air France flight had data which showed something catastrophic occurred.

This event makes no sense in many ways.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:47 AM   #104
JPhillips
General Manager

From the Wall Street Journal:

Quote:
U.S. investigators suspect that Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 stayed in the air for about four hours past the time it reached its last confirmed location, according to two people familiar with the details, raising the possibility that the plane could have flown on for hundreds of additional miles under conditions that remain murky.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:17 AM   #105
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

This is seriously unbelievable. Part of me wonders if there's a REMOTE REMOTE REMOTE chance that the plane was taken "off-line" (for lack of a better term) and flown to a remote location to hold the passengers as ransom?

I'm 99.2% that is dead wrong, but damn...how does a plane just disappear?! I mean, if they had it flying on radar just in a straight line or whatever before a crash, we could say that maybe it's like the Payne Stewart flight that lost pressure or whatever.

Ugh, I just hope whatever this is is over soon for those families. This must be worth than dealing with the actual death(s).
Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:24 AM   #106
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
From the Wall Street Journal:
U.S. investigators suspect that Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 stayed in the air for about four hours past the time it reached its last confirmed location, according to two people familiar with the details, raising the possibility that the plane could have flown on for hundreds of additional miles under conditions that remain murky.

To me, this sounds like a hijacking gone wrong. Not unlike Ethiopean Airlines Flight 961.

Ethiopian Airlines Flight 961 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:11 PM   #107
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The US now is saying they have info pointing to a possible location in the Indian Ocean.

MH370: US confirms possible 'new search area' in Indian Ocean – live | World news | theguardian.com
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:28 PM   #108
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
To me, this sounds like a hijacking gone wrong. Not unlike Ethiopean Airlines Flight 961.

Ethiopian Airlines Flight 961 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Damn that's a crazy story. I think today they would have been clubbed unconscious and duct taped to seats before they even reached the cockpit.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:54 PM   #109
dacman
College Benchwarmer

If the Indian Ocean thing is true I was thinking more along these lines.

Helios Airways Flight 522 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 03-13-2014, 05:00 PM   #110
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
So apparently Malaysian Airlines didn't subscribe to a particular satellite data service. But the plane still sent data to the satellite. That's where the new leads are coming from.

White House: Hunt for missing airliner may extend to Indian Ocean - The Washington Post
Old 03-13-2014, 08:09 PM   #111
dzilla77
High School Varsity

The more I'm reading about this, the more I think this was a deliberate act and that this plane landed somewhere. If somehow they managed to put more fuel on this thing than people think it could be in the middle east.
dzilla77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:10 PM   #112
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzilla77 View Post
The more I'm reading about this, the more I think this was a deliberate act and that this plane landed somewhere. If somehow they managed to put more fuel on this thing than people think it could be in the middle east.
Not a new theory, I have a real hard time believing anyone could pull that off undetected.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:12 PM   #113
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Occam's Razor - it's in the ocean somewhere.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:59 PM   #114
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Not a new theory, I have a real hard time believing anyone could pull that off undetected.

Same here, without knowing anything about it I'd have thought somebody in the middle east would notice an unauthorized jumbo on radar given the security concerns in that region. Surely the US and Israel are watching close enough. If we're talking places to hide a jet I'm guessing Vietnam would probably be pretty decent, but again how do you do it without showing up on someones radar?

If we're wildly speculating I still think the Malaysian govt has something to hide - they've all but admitted they tracked it on air force radar and then they backed off that statement. On top of that China is flat out accusing them of being unhelpful and evasive. Something doesn't smell right, maybe just incompetence I suppose.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:00 PM   #115
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Occam's Razor - it's in the ocean somewhere.

Yeah this is my thought too. I was looking at that globe and thought it was too small of an area. They need to look within 2500 miles of that last radar hit. Also I'm wondering if the US knows more then they are leading on. Some way to visually go back into satellite archives and look for anomalies. There is tech that is far greater than you or I know of.

If that radar hit heading west is accurate then that plane could very well be out in the middle of the Indian Ocean somewhere.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:05 PM   #116
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzilla77 View Post

While I seriously doubt it, it would more likely be in North Korea under that scenario. Though I think it unlikely Kim Jong-Whogivesafuck could keep his mouth shut this long if they had pulled it off.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:17 PM   #117
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Sri Lanka certainly has a questionable history. Wonder if there were some rebel/insurgents there who plotted something.

Edit-
But their plan went awry and it's in the ocean.

Last edited by stevew : 03-13-2014 at 09:25 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:20 PM   #118
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Sri Lanka certainly has a questionable history. Wonder if there were some rebel/insurgents there who plotted something.

I guess my big stumbling block is: why take the plane and then stay so quiet about it? What would be the point?
Old 03-13-2014, 09:22 PM   #119
RainMaker
General Manager

The plane isn't sitting in some airfield. It would have been picked up on radar by someone. And if the goal is to steal a jumbo jet, there are probably much easier ways of doing it.

DT said it best, it's sitting in the Ocean somewhere. Maybe a suicide by pilot, maybe hijacking, maybe just something went horribly wrong mechanically. The Ocean is quite vast and incredibly difficult to find something as small as a plane.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:23 PM   #120
bhlloy
Coordinator

Seems like the latest breaking news is all signs point to the Indian ocean, although there are a million questions about when things stopped transmitting and why, and still a ton of conflicting information.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:30 PM   #121
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Yeah this is my thought too. I was looking at that globe and thought it was too small of an area. They need to look within 2500 miles of that last radar hit. Also I'm wondering if the US knows more then they are leading on. Some way to visually go back into satellite archives and look for anomalies. There is tech that is far greater than you or I know of.

If that radar hit heading west is accurate then that plane could very well be out in the middle of the Indian Ocean somewhere.

It's not a situation where they have something to gain by revealing to the world our current gen capabilities: there's no strategic value. It won't be used even if there is something like that except to confirm what happened and that it's not a threat and then hushed up.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:16 PM   #122
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
It's not a situation where they have something to gain by revealing to the world our current gen capabilities: there's no strategic value. It won't be used even if there is something like that except to confirm what happened and that it's not a threat and then hushed up.

SI

See that's just what makes me wonder why the US came out and said that they think it flew for 4 hours after it left radar coverage. You're right, there isn't anything to gain by acknowledging that that kind of tech exists.

Like Steam?

Old 03-13-2014, 10:19 PM   #123
JPhillips
General Manager

That apparently comes from satellite pings to a commercial satellite.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:15 AM   #124
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Still hoping that somehow there are survivors and they're floating in a raft somewhere waiting to be rescued.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:49 AM   #125
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
See that's just what makes me wonder why the US came out and said that they think it flew for 4 hours after it left radar coverage. You're right, there isn't anything to gain by acknowledging that that kind of tech exists.

I haven't been listening too closely but I didn't think there had been anything revealed that was from tech we didn't know about

SI

Old 03-14-2014, 07:02 AM   #126
PilotMan
Head Coach

You're right SI. I've always had this thought that the extent of what is public knowledge is still pretty far behind where we actually are. Take the Snowden leaks for example. There is tech that is out there that surpasses what we know, but the question is what is the extent of it. It probably has nothing to do with this and isn't applicable. Hypothetically, could something exist, be used and passed off as something else?

Like Steam?

Old 03-14-2014, 07:42 AM   #127
Easy Mac

While I feel for the families, I do like the idea that there could still be a mystery on this scale that could never be solved in this day and age.

Plus, something has to keep Robert Stack's ghost employed.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:57 AM   #128
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It's Friday. I suspect if we actually have any real info it will come out this late afternoon so it gets swallowed by the news cycle.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:36 AM   #129
cartman
Death Herald

This is a story about one of the Andaman Islands, the latest theory about the direction the plane was heading.

The North Sentinel Island : One of the most isolated and unwelcomed places on the Earth.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:56 AM   #130
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
This is a story about one of the Andaman Islands, the latest theory about the direction the plane was heading.

The North Sentinel Island : One of the most isolated and unwelcomed places on the Earth.

pretty cool stuff

the boat

North Sentinel Island - Google Maps
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:01 AM   #131
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Wow, that's interesting. I know this is very tragic, but this is seriously like reading a GREAT book.
Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:10 AM   #132
Kodos
Resident Alien

The Island doesn't want you here!
Old 03-14-2014, 09:29 AM   #133
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post

The NSA must really despise the Sentinelese...

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 11:55 AM   #134
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
The NSA must really despise the Sentinelese...

Or they really /are/ the Sentinelese! *cue dramatic sting*

SI

Old 03-14-2014, 11:56 AM   #135
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
While I feel for the families, I do like the idea that there could still be a mystery on this scale that could never be solved in this day and age.

I feel guilty to admit it, but I feel the same way. If I knew any of those people or their families, I would feel really awful about this and in the abstract way we feel bad for people when something bad happens, I do. If it was a choice between "neat mystery" and "people home safe", I'd chose the latter.

But as it's not, I'm also fascinated by the mystery

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 03-14-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:00 PM   #136
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You're right SI. I've always had this thought that the extent of what is public knowledge is still pretty far behind where we actually are. Take the Snowden leaks for example. There is tech that is out there that surpasses what we know, but the question is what is the extent of it. It probably has nothing to do with this and isn't applicable. Hypothetically, could something exist, be used and passed off as something else?

What it really makes me think is that if there's something that is "10 years off", there's a good chance someone already has it if there's a use for it in the military. Technology moves unevenly so some things may be behind and others ahead. But time and again, when things are declassified, we see "futuristic technology" in use.

It makes me think that when you see a trade magazine that says "this will be common in the next 10 years", you can guess that if it can make money or make military sense, it's already here in some form either just in infancy and on the fast track or already fully developed but not industry standard yet.

SI

Old 03-14-2014, 12:59 PM   #137
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Or they really /are/ the Sentinelese! *cue dramatic sting*

SI

I like it!! I mean, no one has really ever seen a 'real' NSA employee and a Sentinelese in the same room...

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 03-14-2014, 01:15 PM   #138
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
What it really makes me think is that if there's something that is "10 years off", there's a good chance someone already has it if there's a use for it in the military. Technology moves unevenly so some things may be behind and others ahead. But time and again, when things are declassified, we see "futuristic technology" in use.

It makes me think that when you see a trade magazine that says "this will be common in the next 10 years", you can guess that if it can make money or make military sense, it's already here in some form either just in infancy and on the fast track or already fully developed but not industry standard yet.

SI

Since part of my industry involves imagery data, I recall years ago there were publically promoting revolutionary 2m resolution. The military (as well as the same companies that were making available the 2m resolution) were privately snickering since they were already generating and using 0.5m accuracy (Now it's 0.5m for public by federal law but spy satellites go 0.3m).
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:29 PM   #139
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

I think the only obvious answer is that someone designed a time travel machine.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:36 PM   #140
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
I think the only obvious answer is that someone designed a time travel machine.

Went through a wormhole into an alternate dimension.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:39 PM   #141
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vex View Post
Went through a wormhole into an alternate dimension.

Sounds like someone needs to call Kris Kristofferson and Cheryl Tiegs.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:39 PM   #142
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Sounds like someone needs to call Kris Kristofferson and Cheryl Tiegs.

I was just about to post that!

Millennium (1989) - IMDb

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:40 PM   #143
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post

Millennium (1989) - IMDb

Nice! Do you know how many years I have been waiting to use that reference?

Old 03-14-2014, 01:46 PM   #144
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Quote:
Nice! Do you know how many years I have been waiting to use that reference?

I'll take a guess. 14?
Old 03-14-2014, 01:48 PM   #145
Kodos
Resident Alien

24?
Old 03-14-2014, 01:53 PM   #146
JediKooter
Coordinator

You both are correct.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:47 PM   #147
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Somehow, someway, I'm pretty sure these guys are involved.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:49 PM   #148
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post

Millennium (1989) - IMDb

I was thinking about that movie where the aircraft carrier accidentally entered a time warp and they were going to try to stop pearl harbor at the end but they didn't.

What is this movie called.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:56 PM   #149
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Okay, I did some weird non-googling brain shit and deduced it was called The Final Countdown.
The Final Countdown (1980) - IMDb
Old 03-14-2014, 06:32 PM   #150
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I was thinking about that movie where the aircraft carrier accidentally entered a time warp and they were going to try to stop pearl harbor at the end but they didn't.

What is this movie called.

It was the Final Countdown.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote