Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-29-2016, 04:24 PM   #751
tarcone
Coordinator

I was so bummed I couldnt get into this one. If there was any game I want to play its this one. But I cant get my head around it.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:16 PM   #752
Dutch
"Dutch"

Once it clicks, it's hard not to go back to it. The replay value is pretty great.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:38 PM   #753
JPhillips
General Manager

I've been playing Paradox since EU1, so it all makes sense to me, but I imagine stepping into their last generation of games without any experience would be pretty intimidating.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:19 PM   #754
JPhillips
General Manager

OMG

crusader-kings-2-random-map-mod/
Old 09-12-2016, 02:22 PM   #755
MrBug708
Head Coach

I saw. I bet it stays unstable for a while, but I would be content for a pack of randomly create maps
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:36 PM   #756
Peregrine
Pro Starter

New DLC Monks and Mystics is out now - looks pretty cool - I especially like some really nice quality of life changes they added in the patch. Especially all these - some real winners here.

Intrigue screen[11]:

New decisions menu showing 6 decisions at once, rather than the old 4.
Ability to mark a decision as important or not, which will trigger its alerts
New tab My Plots, showing clearly who the target of each backed plot is
Prisoner mass actions (release, ransom, or execute all)
New buttons in Known Plots tab, to ask the plotter to end their plot, and ask to join to a plot
Improved events now showing the targets of plot when invited to join, or option to keep a plot secret when a plotter tries and fails to kill your spymaster due to them discovering their plot.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:27 PM   #757
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I am absolutely loving the new quality of life options in the game - make a lot of little stuff easier. Stuff like when you promote a commander from the intrigue options it gives you an immediate choice to give them the commander title. Also this gives a new default ability to your main counselors that they do when not doing something else - things like make your retinue cost less (marshal) or hunt apostates in your realm.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Old 03-10-2017, 09:59 AM   #758
Umbrella
High School Varsity

How much is this DLC? I haven't played CK2 in quite some time, but I can't even remember how many hours I sunk into that game.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:24 AM   #759
Peregrine
Pro Starter

$15 for the DLC - frankly the DLC seems nice but not maybe mandatory, but I'd definitely recommend playing the game again just to see all the cool options in the patch that came with it. They gave us an option to select commanders only in minor titles so you don't have to constantly scroll down to the bottom of the list!
Old 06-22-2017, 10:53 PM   #760
PilotMan
Head Coach

CK and Paradox are getting killed in the reviews department over killing the game if you don't have the right DLC, adding copious amounts of worthless, overpriced DLC and jacking up the DLC prices in different markets.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:27 PM   #761
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
CK and Paradox are getting killed in the reviews department over killing the game if you don't have the right DLC, adding copious amounts of worthless, overpriced DLC and jacking up the DLC prices in different markets.

All I know is that I've gotten more than my money's worth and then some. Best game I have ever played, and actually inspired me to get a degree in history.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:10 PM   #762
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
All I know is that I've gotten more than my money's worth and then some. Best game I have ever played, and actually inspired me to get a degree in history.

I think about buying this every sale but haven't as I don't think I'd ever have the time to play it. Having said that have you seen the new prices?

Previous sales I could get the entire package bundled for $39. Current bundle price on the summer sale is $119.31

$301.38 is the current regular price. IIRC the old price was ~$139.

Not a chance in hell I buy at either price.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:23 PM   #763
Groundhog
Coordinator

I don't know how many DLC I am "behind", but they vary wildly between excellent and completely worthless. I do see people's problems with the compatibility issues though, especially with mods. Still, game has been out for 5 years and the only way a company is going to be able to continue to support and release new content is via DLC.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:26 AM   #764
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I find most of the DLC are pretty good - but the weird pricing changes they have done lately seem crazy to me.
Old 11-06-2017, 12:38 PM   #765
PilotMan
Head Coach

Does anyone else think that this Saudi power grab is straight out of CK?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 12:53 PM   #766
Ironhead
College Prospect

You have a new heir. One day later, he invites you to a small group of friends for drinking and fun.

Reaction in any other game: Awesome, this should be fun!

Reaction in Crusader Kings: HE IS GOING TO TRY AND KILL ME AND TAKE MY TITLES!
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 02:21 PM   #767
cuervo72
Head Coach

Bump for MrBug.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:36 PM   #768
MrBug708
Head Coach

CK2 is free for the next couple of days on steam! Once you add it to your library, it's yours!
Old 04-05-2018, 05:47 PM   #769
Groundhog
Coordinator

Pretty smart move IMO. Hook people with the free version, then they'll see how many DLCs there are (....although only about 25% at most are probably worthwhile).
Old 04-05-2018, 05:56 PM   #770
tarcone
Coordinator

Is there a DLC that makes using boats easier?

Old 04-05-2018, 06:45 PM   #771
MrBug708
Head Coach

I didn't realize it was hard? Doesnt your troop stack need to be smaller than the boat stack?
Old 04-05-2018, 06:47 PM   #772
tarcone
Coordinator

More of the loading and movement. I struggled mightily.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:56 PM   #773
MrBug708
Head Coach

I just click on the troops and then click on the boat?
Old 04-05-2018, 07:33 PM   #774
tarcone
Coordinator

I must be overthinking it.

Will have to load up the tutorial again.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:57 PM   #775
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Out of curiosity, are you trying to load the ships in port? I believe you put ships out to sea before you can move troops onto them. You need one ship for every 100 troops or portion thereof to load.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:58 PM   #776
tarcone
Coordinator

I believe it was in port. So put them out to sea and then load them? That doesnt make sense does it.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:42 PM   #777
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

It also doesn't make sense to kill your wife after she gives you nothing but daughters so that you can marry your cousin, but that's CK2.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:49 PM   #778
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
It also doesn't make sense to kill your wife after she gives you nothing but daughters so that you can marry your cousin, but that's CK2.
We'll have to agree to disagree.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:31 AM   #779
bhlloy
Coordinator

IIRC there's two ways to do it. Either have ships in port and troops in same province and there's a small "load" button somewhere on the army pop-up, or move them into an adjacent sea zone and move them onto the ships. First way is much faster.

EDIT - very possible you don't actually have enough capacity on the ships to embark that many soldiers? In that case the button is greyed out? Looks like an arrow pointing at a ship.

DOUBLE EDIT - 1 ship for 100 soldiers. Thanks Reddit!

Last edited by bhlloy : 04-06-2018 at 12:37 AM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:58 AM   #780
MrBug708
Head Coach

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/05...ury-expansion/

Holy Fury takes its inspiration from the Northern Crusaders of Catholic Europe against its Pagan neighbors. Meaning you can play either side in a new religious war, as you would expect of an expansion to Crusader Kings II.
In Holy Fury, Pagan rulers who reform their religion instead of converting will have a chance to design that new Reformed Paganism. A religion of peace or one of war? Will you be guided by the stars or bow to the whims of bloodthirsty gods? Who will lead this new church? Build a new creed on the ashes of the old ways.
Other features in Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury include:

Shattered and Random Worlds: Start your game on a fictional map of Europe as a small realm fighting for space, or on a random map with historical analogues for the great kingdoms of yore.
Warrior Lodges: Join a Pagan warrior lodge and raid your way up the ranks, unlocking access to powerful allies and greater military skill.
Legendary Bloodlines: Descendants of great warrior heroes will have bonuses that match the accomplishments of their forefathers, including historical bloodlines of Charlemagne, Genghis Khan and others..
Sway or Antagonize Your Neighbors: Try to win a reluctant vassal through charm and persuasion, or provoke someone you want to push into conflict.
Sainthood: Pious Catholics can become canonized, passing on their glory to their descendants and making their resting place a site of great value.
Coronations: Feudal kings and emperors must find clergy to crown them, since all power descends from the heavens.
New Crusade Events: Deeper gameplay for the religious wars of the era.
New Succession Laws: A Pagan Elder Council may have the final word in how a realm is divided among heirs, or a ruler may challenge his brother to combat to unify a realm.
And much more: Changes to religion, custom names for people or objects, deeper baptismal mechanics, lists of people you’ve killed, and othersmall changes for flavor and variety.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:09 AM   #781
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post

I know this is late to the party, but I have a certain Henry VIII that would like to have a word with you.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:53 PM   #782
Edward64
Head Coach

Started watching some youtube tutorials on how to play this darn game.

I think it would have been much easier if I started playing it when it first came out (e.g. Stellaris). I still have hope that I can play the base game well enough one of these days to start exploring the DLCs.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:06 PM   #783
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Started watching some youtube tutorials on how to play this darn game.

I think it would have been much easier if I started playing it when it first came out (e.g. Stellaris). I still have hope that I can play the base game well enough one of these days to start exploring the DLCs.

Ireland - 1066 bookmark. There's a reason it's called Tutorial Island (and it's actually a fun place to play in).

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:07 PM   #784
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/05...ury-expansion/

Holy Fury takes its inspiration from the Northern Crusaders of Catholic Europe against its Pagan neighbors. Meaning you can play either side in a new religious war, as you would expect of an expansion to Crusader Kings II.
In Holy Fury, Pagan rulers who reform their religion instead of converting will have a chance to design that new Reformed Paganism. A religion of peace or one of war? Will you be guided by the stars or bow to the whims of bloodthirsty gods? Who will lead this new church? Build a new creed on the ashes of the old ways.
Other features in Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury include:

Shattered and Random Worlds: Start your game on a fictional map of Europe as a small realm fighting for space, or on a random map with historical analogues for the great kingdoms of yore.
Warrior Lodges: Join a Pagan warrior lodge and raid your way up the ranks, unlocking access to powerful allies and greater military skill.
Legendary Bloodlines: Descendants of great warrior heroes will have bonuses that match the accomplishments of their forefathers, including historical bloodlines of Charlemagne, Genghis Khan and others..
Sway or Antagonize Your Neighbors: Try to win a reluctant vassal through charm and persuasion, or provoke someone you want to push into conflict.
Sainthood: Pious Catholics can become canonized, passing on their glory to their descendants and making their resting place a site of great value.
Coronations: Feudal kings and emperors must find clergy to crown them, since all power descends from the heavens.
New Crusade Events: Deeper gameplay for the religious wars of the era.
New Succession Laws: A Pagan Elder Council may have the final word in how a realm is divided among heirs, or a ruler may challenge his brother to combat to unify a realm.
And much more: Changes to religion, custom names for people or objects, deeper baptismal mechanics, lists of people you’ve killed, and othersmall changes for flavor and variety.

I haven't been this excited for a DLC since TOG.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:31 PM   #785
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Ireland - 1066 bookmark. There's a reason it's called Tutorial Island (and it's actually a fun place to play in).

I didn't think the tutorial was any good, that's why I went to youtube.

I have been playing in Ireland and think I got the very basics down e.g. was able to play through 5 generations (with numerous reloads) and finally become King of Ireland (and then the Scots started attacking).

I know enough to know what I don't know and have started reading up on technologies, keeping vassals happy, demesne management etc.

I'm glad that I invested the time so far to learn it. I will research the other DLC's and plan to get some on the next sale (July 4?).

I'll get to the GOT and other big mods sometime (also have to get a mod to replace the horrible, vanilla portraits).
Old 05-24-2018, 01:18 AM   #786
MrBug708
Head Coach

The GoT mod is a whole different game. There are so many mods in that, that it's just so impressive
Old 05-24-2018, 08:49 AM   #787
Edward64
Head Coach

I did search for it but was unsuccessful ... is there something that "recaps" the key milestones that happened during your dynasty?
Old 05-26-2018, 04:22 PM   #788
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Quote:
I did search for it but was unsuccessful ... is there something that "recaps" the key milestones that happened during your dynasty?

On the menu in the lower right, there is a button that says Open Chronicle. It lists a lot of stuff, as well as some repetitive fluff. I've lost track how many cows have been killed by falling stars, and 10 foot women executed.
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 05:49 PM   #789
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrella View Post
On the menu in the lower right, there is a button that says Open Chronicle. It lists a lot of stuff, as well as some repetitive fluff. I've lost track how many cows have been killed by falling stars, and 10 foot women executed.

Thanks.

I googled on it and it apparently came out with the Charlemagne DLC which I don't have.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:19 PM   #790
Edward64
Head Coach

Something that bothers me about CK2.

All these marriages and betrothals I can force through - my children (understandable), my grandchildren, my vassals, my widowed mother etc. seems "unrealistic" to me.

I get they happened but very likely not as frequently or easily as I can do as a player now. CK2 tries to simulate the mechanics of back then, shouldn't Paradox try to ramp that down? Or did this truly happen that frequently?
Old 05-26-2018, 11:06 PM   #791
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Something that bothers me about CK2.

All these marriages and betrothals I can force through - my children (understandable), my grandchildren, my vassals, my widowed mother etc. seems "unrealistic" to me.

I get they happened but very likely not as frequently or easily as I can do as a player now. CK2 tries to simulate the mechanics of back then, shouldn't Paradox try to ramp that down? Or did this truly happen that frequently?

You should read through the Hapsburg line. There are lower level counts who marry courtiers, but an idealistic dream of a king meeting a peasant girl doesn't happen. Usually you wanted to marry up
Old 05-27-2018, 12:18 PM   #792
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
You should read through the Hapsburg line. There are lower level counts who marry courtiers, but an idealistic dream of a king meeting a peasant girl doesn't happen. Usually you wanted to marry up

Hah, funny you should say that.

In one of my trial runs, I purposely married a "beautiful", non-inheriting courtier just to role play vs. find the most prestigious marriage possible.

Last edited by Edward64 : 05-27-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:32 PM   #793
MrBug708
Head Coach

I do it too but I also breed my characters for the best attributes possible