Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-23-2018, 06:54 AM   #501
Butter
Coordinator

The Giants aren't sitting on another loss due to their decision to go for 2. It was that massive FG that guy hit.

And yes, that garbage time TD won me a fantasy game, so yay me.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:59 AM   #502
stevew
Hall Of Famer

What about Carr for Blake bortles and a first and a third.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:06 AM   #503
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I'm fine with situational decisions & if for whatever reason you don't like your chances in OT then maybe you flip that switch ... it's an idiotic move otherwise.

What the Giants and all the "it was a good move" folks are sitting on another loss. So maybe what needs to be "dying" is the sudden appearance of all the self-appointed geniuses who need to think they're so much smarter than the world, which is nothing short of hubris.

I'm fine with going for two and the win if it comes down to it. The vaunted Giants offense had scored 12 points in 55 minutes and suddenly are making an aggressive 2 point attempt...just seems a bit too ballsy
Old 10-23-2018, 07:08 AM   #504
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
So maybe what needs to be "dying" is the sudden appearance of all the self-appointed geniuses who need to think they're so much smarter than the world, which is nothing short of hubris.

Rage against the machine.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:35 AM   #505
Thomkal
Head Coach

Not really a surprise that Gruden would want to move on from Carr. Watching all those draft QB specials he did with ESPN, you just know that he wants one for himself.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:29 AM   #506
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Nothing to do with hubris, it is all math and the math says going for it there gives you the best chance to win the game.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 11:23 AM   #507
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I'm fine with going for two and the win if it comes down to it. The vaunted Giants offense had scored 12 points in 55 minutes and suddenly are making an aggressive 2 point attempt...just seems a bit too ballsy

The fact that the Giants had a less-than NFL-average chance of making the 2 point conversion also means that they had a less-than NFL-average chance of winning if the game went to overtime.

The NFL stat nerds have been talking about going for 2 in this scenario for a while, long before this game, and they're convinced it makes sense for any team (though, it does make a little less sense for a bad offense).

Late and Trailing by 14 Points: Always Go For 2 After a Touchdown – Predictive Football
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:26 PM   #508
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Makes sense. The trick is that you don't have to decide whether to try the second 2pc until after you know whether you made the first. It's giving you extra flexibility in decision making.

Of course, football coaches will be the last to adopt/figure this out. This is still a sport where our favorite moment in Hard Knocks this year was (rightly) the O-Line coach citing the world wars for the proposition that all you need for physical training are push ups and jumping jacks.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:55 PM   #509
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
they're convinced it makes sense for any team (though, it does make a little less sense for a bad offense).

The general concept is fine, but this is where the thinking breaks down as you note. If you have a bad offense, or one particularly ill-equipped to score in the red zone, then the initial 50/50 percentages are skewed, which throws off the rest of the percentages.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:09 PM   #510
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
The general concept is fine, but this is where the thinking breaks down as you note. If you have a bad offense, or one particularly ill-equipped to score in the red zone, then the initial 50/50 percentages are skewed, which throws off the rest of the percentages.

True, the Giants probably had a less than 50% chance of converting, but they also had a less than 50% chance of winning in overtime, so that that skews the part of the chart back in favor of going for 2 and increasing their odds of winning in regulation. So the chart overestimates the Giants' chances of converting, but it also overestimates the Giants' chances of winning in OT, so it kind of balances out.

Though the guy in the article did have the one qualifier that if your odds of winning in overtime were dramatically better than converting the 2-point conversion, then it'd make sense to kick. But he didn't think there were many teams for whom that would be the case. You'd have to have a really shitty short-yard offense AND an excellent defense. Or there'd have to be some game-specific factor like the opposing team QB getting injured late.

Last edited by molson : 10-23-2018 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:11 PM   #511
Butter
Coordinator

I would think it also makes even less sense for a bad offense vs a good defense. So much so that it may not make sense as a whole. There are a lot of variables to this, not as easy as assigning "50/50" to each potential outcome. Even the XP kick is far from a done deal at this point.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:17 PM   #512
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
not as easy as assigning "50/50" to each potential outcome.

The chart is a deliberately over-simplified. But that and the article won me over because the contrary view doesn't seem be based on anything other than "gut" (and because going for 2 in this scenario seems to be the universal stance of people who are deep into NFL stat probability stuff). If there's a more complex breakdown that more accurately depicts each potential outcome and it leads to an opposite conclusion, I haven't seen it yet.

Last edited by molson : 10-23-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:41 PM   #513
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Giants trade Eli.

Apple that is. To the saints for a 4th and. 7 th. Winning football flipping a first rounder for two late picks.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:51 PM   #514
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Nothing to do with hubris, it is all math and the math says going for it there gives you the best chance to win the game.

Again, dependent upon situations.

And, yes, it's nothing BUT hubris. A generation of geniuses who need to convince themselves that they are oh-so-much smarter than decades prior.

It's not always a bad move ... but no situation card anywhere can take into account the flow of a game in isolation, what personnel is available, etc etc.

I'm a numbers guy for a living basically.
I'm a numbers guy for recreation to a fair extent as well (what else really IS gaming & such?)

No plan survives contact with the enemy ... which is what the obnoxious as fuck talking heads can't let go of their hubris long enough to acknowledge. At this point, the data driven folks are about as tolerable as vegans, keto diet folks, and crossfit practitioners. All of whom are as about much fun to hear as pyramid scheme con artists.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:13 PM   #515
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Broncos backup QB Chad Kelly arrested in trespassing case
Old 10-23-2018, 02:38 PM   #516
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

This is the part that makes no sense to me. If you're going to go for two, you have to do it on the 1st attempt. If you miss, then you have the chance to go for two again and tie it up. If you kick the XP, then you've eliminated one of your options if you miss the two point conversion at the end.

I still don't understand where this "wait until the end" line of thinking came up. People still argue that when down by 15, you should kick the XP first and go the the 2 pt conversion second. That has never made sense to me and no one has ever been able to satisfactorily explain to me why you don't want the extra information (how the 2 pt conversion attempt turned out) earlier rather than later.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 02:44 PM   #517
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post

I still don't understand where this "wait until the end" line of thinking came up.

I think the idea is that a coach would prefer to avoid or defer making a decision that may get him criticized until he doesn't have a choice.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:20 PM   #518
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The chart is a deliberately over-simplified. But that and the article won me over because the contrary view doesn't seem be based on anything other than "gut" (and because going for 2 in this scenario seems to be the universal stance of people who are deep into NFL stat probability stuff). If there's a more complex breakdown that more accurately depicts each potential outcome and it leads to an opposite conclusion, I haven't seen it yet.
Yes, and the other part that isn't mentioned is that since the new XP rules kickers only hit about 93% of them, which means there's about a 1 in 8 chance your kicker misses one of the two extra points.
Quote:
No plan survives contact with the enemy ... which is what the obnoxious as fuck talking heads can't let go of their hubris long enough to acknowledge. At this point, the data driven folks are about as tolerable as vegans, keto diet folks, and crossfit practitioners. All of whom are as about much fun to hear as pyramid scheme con artists.
The talking heads? Most announcers - and Jason Witten and Booger McFarland in particular - aren't exactly new age geniuses pushing for revolutionary thinking.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 04:50 PM   #519
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Heard the numbers on VSIN today

going for the 2 in that spot you have 46% to win, 25% to lose.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:51 AM   #520
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Heard the numbers on VSIN today

going for the 2 in that spot you have 46% to win, 25% to lose.

29% to tie? That seems wrong
Old 10-24-2018, 05:54 AM   #521
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
This is the part that makes no sense to me. If you're going to go for two, you have to do it on the 1st attempt. If you miss, then you have the chance to go for two again and tie it up. If you kick the XP, then you've eliminated one of your options if you miss the two point conversion at the end.

I still don't understand where this "wait until the end" line of thinking came up. People still argue that when down by 15, you should kick the XP first and go the the 2 pt conversion second. That has never made sense to me and no one has ever been able to satisfactorily explain to me why you don't want the extra information (how the 2 pt conversion attempt turned out) earlier rather than later.

Because in your 2nd paragraph, if you are down 15, score a TD and go for 2 and miss, then you are down 9. That's still 2 scores away. A one score game puts more pressure on the other team and does give you more leeway to play conventionally longer.
Old 10-24-2018, 06:05 AM   #522
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
29% to tie? That seems wrong

At the end of regulation
Old 10-24-2018, 06:45 AM   #523
Butter
Coordinator

Gotcha
Old 10-24-2018, 10:35 AM   #524
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Because in your 2nd paragraph, if you are down 15, score a TD and go for 2 and miss, then you are down 9. That's still 2 scores away. A one score game puts more pressure on the other team and does give you more leeway to play conventionally longer.

But if we're assuming you miss the 2 pt conversion either way, then you want that information on the first attempt. That way you know you need 2 more scores and can adjust your offense accordingly. If you kick the EP and play conventionally, then you have fewer options if you miss the 2pt conversion on the 2nd try.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 01:22 PM   #525
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
But if we're assuming you miss the 2 pt conversion either way, then you want that information on the first attempt. That way you know you need 2 more scores and can adjust your offense accordingly. If you kick the EP and play conventionally, then you have fewer options if you miss the 2pt conversion on the 2nd try.
Yep. I also assumed this whole discussion also isn't about what to do early in the 2nd half, but rather late in the 4th when you presumably will only get 1-2 possessions unless you onside kick it.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 01:52 PM   #526
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Snacks!!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 02:05 PM   #527
Butter
Coordinator

The assumption that you are going to be down 15 early in the 2nd half and then hold the other team from scoring anything at all for the remainder of the game is quite flawed as well. Then you run the risk of being down 9, giving up a score and the other team going for 2 and making it a 17 point game.

It is pretty rare for many coaches to even consider this, it seems like most are content to play it safe and just kick until it is absolutely necessary.
Old 10-24-2018, 02:08 PM   #528
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Iirc the numbers I heard were with 5 minutes or less left.

The reality is most coaches are conservative because they are afraid to get killed in the Media and lose their jobs.
Old 10-24-2018, 02:33 PM   #529
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Snacks!!

sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 07:47 AM   #530
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Snacks!!

And for what seemed like a very cheap pricetag.

Last edited by Bobble : 10-25-2018 at 07:47 AM.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 01:36 PM   #531
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
And for what seemed like a very cheap pricetag.

Yeah, I think the low draft pick is because of his contract. It's a big contract for a player who essentially specializes in stopping the run. He's not going to help you much in rushing the passer. With BJ Hill and Devlin Tomlinson playing as well as they have (2 other quality run defensive players), I guess Gettlemen thought he could lose some run defense, still be okay with those two, and use the savings to improve elsewhere.

I get it from a GM perspective, because the Giants are hurting at most positions and really need that cap space, but I loved Snacks and was hoping he'd be a Giant the rest of his career.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:51 PM   #532
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Just a crazy catch off the helmet.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:03 PM   #533
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Pretty sure #22 on the fins has just gone brain dead on 3 long plays.
Old 10-26-2018, 10:46 AM   #534
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Interesting thought of the day:
If Watson ctually had an O-Line to block for him. Would he be in the elite of the elite of the NFL passing, or does his near constant scrambling out of necessity actually open up some of his WRs?
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 11:18 AM   #535
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
If Watson ctually had an O-Line to block for him. Would he be in the elite of the elite of the NFL passing, or does his near constant scrambling out of necessity actually open up some of his WRs?

I dunno, but he's a joy to watch and so is Hopkins. Insane non catch catch on that bs OPI
Old 10-26-2018, 01:47 PM   #536
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post

I think that, like Aaron Rogers or Russell Wilson, he makes some plays that open up because of his ability outside of the pocket.

And any non-braindead offensive coordinator designing an offense for him would incorporate his scrambling/rollout ability into designed offensive plays. But the NFL is still a pocket-based league. And the fact that Houston's O-line cannot allow him to play cleanly from the pocket puts a ceiling on far he can take that offense.

He's very good now. He could be an MVP with a non-shitty offensive line.

(And if they don't get him O-line help soon, there's a very real risk he'll become "DeShaun Watson, if he had stayed healthy . . ." within five years)
Old 10-26-2018, 02:46 PM   #537
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
(And if they don't get him O-line help soon, there's a very real risk he'll become "DeShaun Watson, if he had stayed healthy . . ." within five years)

or he is going to be Deshaun Watson, Former Houston QB in 2...
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 03:13 AM   #538
AlexB
Pro Starter

Regardless of the reasons behind the bill, WTF were players doing at a nightclub 36 hours or so before a game?

Four Jacksonville Jaguars involved in incident at London club - NFL.com
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:59 AM   #539
molson
General Manager

The greatest business in the world has to be 1,000% markup on booze for "bottle service". I wonder who figured out that rich people would pay that. It's just so random. Imagine it in another context. "You want a cheeseburger, OK, that'll be, I don't know, $900. What, you'll actually pay that? - sweet, he's your receipt".

Last edited by molson : 10-28-2018 at 11:00 AM.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:05 PM   #540
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Regardless of the reasons behind the bill, WTF were players doing at a nightclub 36 hours or so before a game?

Four Jacksonville Jaguars involved in incident at London club - NFL.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Guy on Internet
Wow. The Jags are so bad, they’re even having trouble handling the Bills.

Old 10-28-2018, 02:35 PM   #541
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

So Jameis Winston is pretty bad. What do the Bucs do with him next year? They've exercised his fifth year option, which means he's due around $21 million. But if I understand correctly, they can save themselves all of that if he is cut by June 1st.

I mean, they have to cut the guy, right? Does anyone here keep him around at that figure in the hopes of... what... hoping he finally gets better next year to sign long term?
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 02:52 PM   #542
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Dirk Koetter just kicked the xp after scoring the first TD after being down 15. I think that defininitively proves that it’s the wrong call. Call it the Koetter corollary:-)
Old 10-28-2018, 02:52 PM   #543
General Mike
Pro Starter

Ready for the Giants season to be over
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 03:51 PM   #544
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
So Jameis Winston is pretty bad. What do the Bucs do with him next year? T

As long as he keeps bringing us random moments of FitzMagic through is ineptitude (professional or private), they can keep him signed forever, as far as I'm concerned.

ETA: Not a Bucs fan, so it's probably more entertaining for me than it is for them.

Last edited by Drake : 10-28-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:01 PM   #545
PilotMan
Head Coach

Le' Veon Who?

He's rolled the dice this year, and I think it'll cost him. He's just not going to get the contract offer that he hopes to get. He should sit out another couple weeks unless the team is able to trade him, and even when he comes back he's not going to be in the position to be the impact guy for the team. AFAIC, the team totally did the right thing by letting him do his thing and knowing that Conner would be able to perform. RB's just don't have that 'must have' quality anymore. The good talent coming out of college just plugs into the modern game too well.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:56 PM   #546
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Le' Veon Who?

He's rolled the dice this year, and I think it'll cost him. He's just not going to get the contract offer that he hopes to get. He should sit out another couple weeks unless the team is able to trade him, and even when he comes back he's not going to be in the position to be the impact guy for the team. AFAIC, the team totally did the right thing by letting him do his thing and knowing that Conner would be able to perform. RB's just don't have that 'must have' quality anymore. The good talent coming out of college just plugs into the modern game too well.

Conner has essentially proven that it was the OL more than it was Bell. It's easy to do what Bell did with the Steelers OL. Add a pair of decent hands to that and Conner was bound to produce like this.

I think not only did Bell hurt himself, he also hurt the RB market as a whole. The rest of the RB's in the league who haven't gotten their next big deal yet should be pissed.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 07:19 PM   #547
Thomkal
Head Coach

Well the new Cards offense was looking a lot like the old Cards offense until the 4th quarter where Rosen showed he can be a NFL quarterback. That last play by the Niners to end the game though...wow that's going to be a tough one to swallow.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:10 AM   #548
miami_fan
Coordinator

And the winner is... Todd Haley!

Browns fire coach Hue Jackson after two-plus seasons
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:20 AM   #549
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
So was that fake punt by Michael Dickson yesterday the first one done in the NFL from a team's own end zone? I can't ever remember that happening at the pro level.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:25 PM   #550
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

And if RB personnel choices were the tipping point (as I've seen mentioned) then this makes even less sense.

Haley's guy was traded away, right?
And yet he wins the war?

Maybe they just made this move so they could hire Tyronn Lue?