Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-14-2012, 10:46 PM   #1001
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
There's no chance Daryl was Sofia's dad.

None at all. They never had met before all of this. Sophia's father was the abusive son of a bitch who died in the tent in the first season.

Darryl just really wanted the girl to be alive is all.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:48 PM   #1002
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Yeah, they weren't exactly handling several aspects of the clearing sequence particularly well. On the one hand, they're amateurs rather than professionals & so mistakes are to be expected. On the other hand, if they've lived this long then there's a temptation to assume that they have to be smarter than they showed inside the prison.

The Scooby Doo character of the "oh shit, walkers" scene in the hallways was perhaps the most unintentionally funny moment of the show to date.

I think things just got very confusing down there. People got scattered, it was dark, they were extremely tired, and they were biting off a lot more than they could chew.

By the looks and sounds of things they have just been nibbling around the edges all winter and for the last few months and then tried to get and eat the whole enchillada at once there with the prison.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 10-14-2012, 11:04 PM   #1003
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Pretty good start, I liked it. I take minor issue with the idea that they rain down gunfire on the known quantity of walkers in the fenced in field area, and then set out to go into the unknowns of the rest of the prison entirely hand to hand to preserve precious ammo. I don't really care much about things like this, but the fact that it was one scene right into the next made it stand out quite a bit.

I also take issue with Carl being a badass now. They spent so much time last year showing us how much of a kid Carl is, with Shane and Rick hammering it into him that he needs to grow up, and they open this season with "some time passed, he's all grown up now". That's really, really weak.

I do love that everyone hates Lori now. And I love that she vocalized the idea of a zombie baby killing her from within. DOOO ITTTTT.

Overall I thought it was a really good start, looking forward to where it goes next.
I'm fine with Carl doing a bit of growing up. He feels responsible for Dale's death and it has been 7-8 months for him to come into his own.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:07 PM   #1004
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
None at all. They never had met before all of this. Sophia's father was the abusive son of a bitch who died in the tent in the first season.

Darryl just really wanted the girl to be alive is all.

That's a great point to point out that they had never met. I'm well aware of when the husband died (same time whatsherface's sister was bit). But they never did say much of the relationship at the time of everyone. It's very possible that some of them knew each other. Especially with his explosion. Hellsbells these people are so redneck they not only could have interbred but they're probably all related
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:13 PM   #1005
DanGarion
Coordinator

I loved Herschel with the cockblock on Carl.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:23 PM   #1006
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
I'm fine with Carl doing a bit of growing up. He feels responsible for Dale's death and it has been 7-8 months for him to come into his own.

I'm ok with it happening, I'm not ok with one of the most important shifts in any character over the course of the series not even happening in a time lapse, but just being implied between seasons.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:25 PM   #1007
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
I loved Herschel with the cockblock on Carl.

Agreed.

Also, SWAT TEAM ZOMBIES. Dude I was watching the episode with said that it was like they just moved on to the next difficulty in a video game... Zombie Armor +10. Perfect.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:26 PM   #1008
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

So anyway, I take it the season 3 premiere did not disappoint? Is it playing anywhere online?
Old 10-14-2012, 11:38 PM   #1009
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Graphic Novel spoiler for those who haven't read and plan to.

Spoiler

They actually first figured it out in the prison with Allen (the twins' dad). He ended up surviving for awhile, but eventually passed away. Later on, they tried again with the survivor you mention, which ends up working for quite awhile until the scenario you mentioned..
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:43 PM   #1010
Swaggs
Coordinator

I thought it was fantastic, as far as red meat goes. The Michonne/Andrea stuff was a little weak, but the prison stuff was great.

Seems as if they may be merging some of the characters (re: Herschel & his daughter) that they killed off earlier in the graphic novels, which I am fine with.

I did a pause and replayed the last scene several times. Looked like there were five prisoners still alive (vs 4 in the GN). Wondering if they merged another GN fan favorite into a fifth prisoner. Also, I assume that was Axel that spoke in the last scene -- I expect he'll become another fan favorite.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:25 AM   #1011
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
So anyway, I take it the season 3 premiere did not disappoint? Is it playing anywhere online?

Did not disappoint. If you catch up by next week, they usually replay the previous week's episode before the new one.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:45 AM   #1012
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

AHHHHHHHH! WTF Dale died because of Carl's dumb ass! Stupid fucking kid!
Old 10-15-2012, 12:45 AM   #1013
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I think the reason they didn't use their guns was because of the close corridors of the walls and the chance for ricochet bullets. But all of them are phenomenal shots now, so maybe not.

My question is why would Hershel go anyway? Why not he same five that cleared the courtyard?
Old 10-15-2012, 12:58 AM   #1014
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Still don't know why they don't literally have hundreds of spears ready to go. Obviously nobody watched 300.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:02 AM   #1015
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
I think the reason they didn't use their guns was because of the close corridors of the walls and the chance for ricochet bullets.

There was a reference earlier about ammo being very low.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:08 AM   #1016
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Man, the fighting here between DISH and AMC is getting nasty. Just saw an AMC commercial that said "Don't switch to DISH"
Old 10-15-2012, 01:12 AM   #1017
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Did not disappoint. If you catch up by next week, they usually replay the previous week's episode before the new one.

i only have online TV and netflix stream
Old 10-15-2012, 01:13 AM   #1018
stevew
Hall Of Famer

they are available to buy from Itunes, etc for a couple bucks each
Old 10-15-2012, 01:15 AM   #1019
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Walking Dead - Google Play

I'd think they will be 1.99 when they become available(tomorrow maybe?)
Old 10-15-2012, 01:25 AM   #1020
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
My question is why would Hershel go anyway? Why not he same five that cleared the courtyard?

Not to mention, it's just plain stupid to take your only trained doctor on a recon mission. I can only guess that they took him because they were looking for the infirmary. But still, you need to keep your doctor safe.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:37 AM   #1021
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm still holding out hope that they turn over a large part of this cast soon. It's certainly a possibility from what I've read about the comics....let's make it so.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:52 AM   #1022
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm still holding out hope that they turn over a large part of this cast soon. It's certainly a possibility from what I've read about the comics....let's make it so.

I'm good with that. Pick up in a different country. Maybe a different continent
Old 10-15-2012, 07:58 AM   #1023
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Not to mention, it's just plain stupid to take your only trained doctor on a recon mission. I can only guess that they took him because they were looking for the infirmary. But still, you need to keep your doctor safe.

We went over to a friend's house to watch the premiere and the moment Hershel was suiting up to head out with the group, one of the people there said the exact same thing.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:32 AM   #1024
Blackadar
Retired

I'll say Episode 1 was encouraging - much better than most of last season. Yeah, there were some questionable decisions and dumb moments - for example, why not just poke ALL the zombies through the fence rather than actually going in there? Yeah, it'd take more time, but there's zero risk to everyone. But overall, it was well done and entertaining. Lori wasn't as insufferable as she normally is either.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:34 AM   #1025
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I also really enjoyed the zombies in the riot gear. As someone who has played hundreds of hours of "Left For Dead 2", I feel their pain.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:34 AM   #1026
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
I'll say Episode 1 was encouraging - much better than most of last season. Yeah, there were some questionable decisions and dumb moments - for example, why not just poke ALL the zombies through the fence rather than actually going in there? Yeah, it'd take more time, but there's zero risk to everyone.

It also makes for terribly boring television.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:37 AM   #1027
Swaggs
Coordinator

Largely obvious, but I think a big part of the storyline (and really most zombie fiction story lines) is getting (or not getting) too comfortable with the walkers. The stuff that seems like stupid or questionable decisions is largely because their experiences generally don't lead to anything too dramatic, especially when there are only one or a handful around.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:38 AM   #1028
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

Yeah. And you can imagine they "honed their craft" during the many hours since we last saw them and got comfortable doing it. It is only when something dramatic happens that it is worthy of being televised.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:54 AM   #1029
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:

Good point, but it's SO obvious that it kinda kills the suspension of disbelief. Especially since they were running so low on ammo. It ultimately didn't kill the episode for me, but there was perhaps a better way to do that (especially since we had great hand-to-hand zombie action later in the courtyard and in the prison itself).
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #1030
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I think one thing the premiere did a good job with was showing just how much worse things have gotten over the past few months. Given how the virus works - anyone who dies becomes a zombie - there are just going to be more and more and more of them as time passes. It did feel like there were more of them and a constant threat. It will be interesting to see if that continues throughout the third season.

As was mentioned earlier, this season is setting up the traditional zombie theme going back to "Night of The Living Dead" - its the people who survive who are the real threat - so it will be interesting to see what "role", if you will, zombies will play throughout.

They definitely setup this theme in the "Cold Storage" webisode. That was some bleak shit there.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:05 AM   #1031
hoopsguy
General Manager

First of all, awesome to see so much conversation after the episode.

Can someone remind me why they needed to push ahead into the tunnels after clearing the courtyard and then getting the cells? I understand that they want to claim more territory, find resources, etc but I'm not sure why it was remotely a good idea to go into the dark tunnels with 1,001 points of entry/exit in the manner that they did. It would seem to make more sense to continue clearing areas where they could have some recon - like the gate where the armored zombies came from, for example.

Might as well clear out as many walkers as possible in terrain you've scouted - and with good lighting - before you take that plunge into the extra hard part of the prison. Chances seem decent that you would unearth many of the zombies (since they seem to flow like water to the nearest opening, in a manner of speaking) on the terrain of your choosing, and that there would be fewer left in the dark/inside when you finally needed to make that move.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:07 AM   #1032
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Just finished Compendium One GN book. Holy smokes- if this season is anything like the last few chapters of this book we're in for one hell of a ride. I have Compendium Two on order from Amazon and it can't get here soon enough!

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

Last edited by CleBrownsfan : 10-15-2012 at 06:27 PM.
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:24 AM   #1033
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
First of all, awesome to see so much conversation after the episode.

Can someone remind me why they needed to push ahead into the tunnels after clearing the courtyard and then getting the cells? I understand that they want to claim more territory, find resources, etc but I'm not sure why it was remotely a good idea to go into the dark tunnels with 1,001 points of entry/exit in the manner that they did. It would seem to make more sense to continue clearing areas where they could have some recon - like the gate where the armored zombies came from, for example.

Might as well clear out as many walkers as possible in terrain you've scouted - and with good lighting - before you take that plunge into the extra hard part of the prison. Chances seem decent that you would unearth many of the zombies (since they seem to flow like water to the nearest opening, in a manner of speaking) on the terrain of your choosing, and that there would be fewer left in the dark/inside when you finally needed to make that move.

I think your plan is more logical, but they were looking for either the warden's office (to find a map or more logistics about the prison) or the infirmary and/or food storage. Lori being due any day and the scene showing them scrounging for food lend some credence to the premise, even though it seemed way to risky to us.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:56 AM   #1034
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I thought they found a little bit of ammunition in the prison block, but I could be wrong.

I am guessing the rush was because of Lori's status. So once again, even though Lori did not open her mouth much, she is still being needy and annoying. I also think they were trying to isolate themselves from the rest of the walkers and just leave them on the other side of the gate.

Obviously, Hershel made a lot of mistakes in that sequence that I am guessing will ultimately lead to his death. But I guess he panicked since Maggie and Glenn got cut-off. It will be interested to see if Hershel's other daughter (do we even know her name?) plays a bigger role this season.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #1035
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
I thought they found a little bit of ammunition in the prison block, but I could be wrong.

I am guessing the rush was because of Lori's status. So once again, even though Lori did not open her mouth much, she is still being needy and annoying. I also think they were trying to isolate themselves from the rest of the walkers and just leave them on the other side of the gate.

Obviously, Hershel made a lot of mistakes in that sequence that I am guessing will ultimately lead to his death. But I guess he panicked since Maggie and Glenn got cut-off. It will be interested to see if Hershel's other daughter (do we even know her name?) plays a bigger role this season.

They found some ammo in weapons they got from the armored walkers.

Mainly the reason they are pushing in to those areas are because they want, to get to the infirmary, the armory, and the cafeteria. I would assume the armory would be their priority so they can stock up on ammo, guns, etc. Considering they have been running for 8 or so months, they probably aren't used to sitting around and they aren't going to feel very comfortable till all the zombies are cleared.

And her name is Beth. Something tells me her and Carl will be playing doctor soon...

Last edited by DanGarion : 10-15-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #1036
Bad-example
College Starter

Shouldn't there have been a huge increase in the carrion bird and rat populations?
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:10 PM   #1037
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
Shouldn't there have been a huge increase in the carrion bird and rat populations?

1) Perhaps there has been; or

2) Perhaps ther is less of one than you think because either: (a) the zombies would eat the rats or carrion birds or (b) for whatever reason the "virus" that makes the dead come alive makes their flesh inedible to rats and carrion birds.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:59 PM   #1038
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I haven't read the thread..but I had so many other shows to catch up on, I finally started watching this. I will finish Season 1 tonight, Season 2 this week and hope to catch up as well.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:06 PM   #1039
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That prison would likely be on a USGS survey map like the one they were using to plot the walkers. Although it probably depends on what the scale of their map was.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:09 PM   #1040
hoopsguy
General Manager

All in all, I thought their team looked a lot more experienced in how they were working together against the walkers ... right up until they decided to go into the dark interior of the prison and depend on "spray paint on walls" as their route to run back in case of trouble.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:15 PM   #1041
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And her name is Beth. Something tells me her and Carl will be playing doctor soon...

Speaking of which ... the relationship that appears to be blooming between the characters -- approximately aged 16/17 & 13 -- wouldn't seem nearly as creepy if the people playing the roles weren't approx 28 and 13.

(Emily Kinney's birthdate isn't on her imdb but Wiki notes that she graduated from college in 2006, so unless she was an early entry prodigy or something then 22+6 = approx 28)
Old 10-15-2012, 03:17 PM   #1042
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Speaking of which ... the relationship that appears to be blooming between the characters -- approximately aged 16/17 & 13 -- wouldn't seem nearly as creepy if the people playing the roles weren't approx 28 and 13.

(Emily Kinney's birthdate isn't on her imdb but Wiki notes that she graduated from college in 2006, so unless she was an early entry prodigy or something then 22+6 = approx 28)

I doubt that they'll have Carl and Beth have any kind of actual relationship. They made it clear he has a bit of a crush on her, which is normal I suppose, but I don't see them taking it too much further than that.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #1043
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
They found some ammo in weapons they got from the armored walkers.

Mainly the reason they are pushing in to those areas are because they want, to get to the infirmary, the armory, and the cafeteria. I would assume the armory would be their priority so they can stock up on ammo, guns, etc. Considering they have been running for 8 or so months, they probably aren't used to sitting around and they aren't going to feel very comfortable till all the zombies are cleared.

If there isn't a walker with a chainsaw and a bag on his head, I will be sorely disappointed.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #1044
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I doubt that they'll have Carl and Beth have any kind of actual relationship. They made it clear he has a bit of a crush on her, which is normal I suppose, but I don't see them taking it too much further than that.

Maybe not ... but she clearly seemed open to the prospect, and not just in the "isn't that cute" sort of way.

edit to add: Under the circumstances they're in, 16/17 and 12/13 might not be all that creepy or even odd. I mean, not like she's running into a whole lot of prospects lately. I think the age of the actress has to kill that possibility for the writers though.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-15-2012 at 03:32 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #1045
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Daryl rejecting the suggestion that he lay the pipe was pretty funny.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #1046
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:

Well, now I feel much better for being somewhat attracted to her.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #1047
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Daryl rejecting the suggestion that he lay the pipe was pretty funny.

I thought they made it pretty clear that they are in a (at least a sexual) relationship. The scene where he said, "I'll go down first..." and her reaction was pretty solid TV writing.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:52 PM   #1048
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Speaking of good lines, I really liked Herschel's comment to ZombMomToBe about how "we've all been dealing with it all winter", or something to that effect. Thought it was a great way to highlight the group's annoyance with that particular personal drama.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #1049
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

‘The Walking Dead’ Season 3 Premiere Hits Series High With 10.9 Million Total Viewers & 7.3 Million Adults 18-49 - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers
Old 10-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #1050
DanGarion
Coordinator