Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-22-2015, 07:40 AM   #1
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Food allergy question

Hi all,

Curious if anyone has some advice for this situation involving (presumably) food allergies.

My 5 year old has had a severe nut allergy since she was about a year and a half old, basically a little bit causes her to vomit. My brother has had the same allergy his whole life and my wife has tons of allergies including tomato / dill / shellfish allergies just to give you the family history.

Recently, the 5 year old has been throwing up in the morning very soon after she wakes up in the same way she does after she has an allergic reaction to nuts. It's happened 3 times in the past 1-1.5 weeks, including twice in the past 3 days. She'll throw up multiple times until she gets whatever it is out of her system, then she's fine the rest of the day. I can't figure out what could be causing it. We do have some items with tree nuts in them in the house, but have had them here for a while without incident until recently. I washed her sheets / pillow case / blanket cover really well a couple days back when she had her last incident, but she threw up again this morning a few times, so I have no idea if it's something in her room or a new level of sensitivity or a new allergy or what this could be.

We're contacting the doctor about this of course and hoping to bring her in to an allergist again in case something new might be causing this (though there are a lot of false positive tests with things like food allergies), but just wondering if anyone else has had experience with something like this and has any suggestions.

Thanks for reading.

JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:16 AM   #2
MrBug708
Head Coach

I have food allergies, quite a few. Let's see Beef, Pork, Dairy, Berries, Citrus, Coffee, Shellfish, alcohol. Needless to say, I drink a lot of water and chicken.

When I was a kid, I'd have reactions up to 5 days later, especially with beef. Beef would make me throw up and it was that way until I was in high school. Now I just get horrible headaches with most of them. In fact I had a terrible one yesterday, one of the worst in sometime to the point where I believe the headache caused me to throw up.

Since you've insinuated you've seen an allergist before, did you do a list of all of the food she has consumed and worked your way from there?

Not everyone believes in it, I've a bit skeptical myself, but have you tried a homeopathic chiropractor who deals with food sensitivities? They might be able to help you narrow down other food allergies or sensitivities too
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 08:20 AM   #3
Grover
Pro Starter

Nothing to add here, other than that I feel terrible for anybody with food allergies. I have SED, which makes me feel bad for those people, because I choose not to eat most foods, you guys can't eat certain foods at all.

Hope you find a solution, JAG. Sounds miserable for her.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:13 AM   #4
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I have food allergies, quite a few. Let's see Beef, Pork, Dairy, Berries, Citrus, Coffee, Shellfish, alcohol. Needless to say, I drink a lot of water and chicken.

When I was a kid, I'd have reactions up to 5 days later, especially with beef. Beef would make me throw up and it was that way until I was in high school. Now I just get horrible headaches with most of them. In fact I had a terrible one yesterday, one of the worst in sometime to the point where I believe the headache caused me to throw up.

Since you've insinuated you've seen an allergist before, did you do a list of all of the food she has consumed and worked your way from there?

Not everyone believes in it, I've a bit skeptical myself, but have you tried a homeopathic chiropractor who deals with food sensitivities? They might be able to help you narrow down other food allergies or sensitivities too

Wow, that is a crazy list. Thanks for sharing and for your suggestions. The reactions up to 5 days later is something I hadn't seen or experienced with my daughter / wife / brother, so that's useful to know. She hasn't seen an allergist for a little over a couple years now, so that's first on the schedule. I haven't written down everything she's eaten but I have a decent idea what she's had, so maybe we'll keep her on a pretty restricted diet until we can take her in. I know about 10 years ago my wife was on a lamb / pear / rice / chicken diet where those were the only things she could eat for a couple weeks and then slowly started adding other foods back. I don't know if that's recommended for kids, but maybe something like that is the way to go.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:09 AM   #5
clemsonfan
High School JV

I wonder if your child is having some acid reflux that is causing the vomiting in the mornings.
clemsonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 12:29 PM   #6
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan View Post
I wonder if your child is having some acid reflux that is causing the vomiting in the mornings.

It turns out this was exactly it (we think). That plus seasonal allergies exacerbated by a sinus infection. She's on the mend now taking antibiotics, along with anti-nausea and anti-reflux medication.