Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-28-2006, 06:46 PM   #1
BishopMVP
Coordinator

College Lacrosse Thread

Even with a wind chill of about 6 degrees, UMass started their season on Saturday with a convincing 11-7 home win over Hofstra. Should move up to #8 in the polls with Georgetown getting doubled up against Maryland. Almost all the other top teams held serve, with Johns Hopkins getting tested by Albany (10-8 final) - not too surprising considering what Hopkins lost to graduation and had injured and some of Albany's players (Merrick Thompson is probably the most underrated attackman in D1.)

I think UMass has its best team since 2003. Morris at attack, Reid on D and the scoring depth from the midfield in particular are strengths. Unfortunately UMass won't play anyone higher than 15th or so (Albany/Loyola/Penn St) until late March/April, but this weekend is setting up some nice matchups. Hopkins-Princeton, Duke-Maryland and Syracuse-Virginia. Anyone on the forum gonna be following those games?

Last edited by BishopMVP : 03-20-2007 at 04:45 PM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 07:42 PM   #2
QuikSand
lolzcat

I may not get out to see a game live until the final four, but I'll be folllowing.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 07:53 PM   #3
Klinglerware
College Starter

I'll be following the alma mater's season, per usual. But probably won't go to any games until it gets warmer...
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:04 PM   #4
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Go 'Cuse and Go Canisius!
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:15 PM   #5
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Go SU. Any chance JHopkins or UVA will eliminate their minor sports?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 10:21 PM   #6
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

It's fun to watch this on TV. Mainly because it makes me wanna go play toccer. But still. It's a good game.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:31 PM   #7
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I'm considering going to a lacrosse game for the first time this year. Unfortunately, it would be to see the school at which my wife teaches. They've only had a lacrosse program for two or three years now. I guess it'd be better than seeing their football team. Last season was their first ever, and they only won once (but I was there to see it!).

Anyway, uh, yeah, I might go see some lacrosse since there's no Arena Football around here.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:08 AM   #8
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Maybe Indoor Lacrosse?

lol...at least it'll be better than a bad college team.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:45 PM   #9
Klinglerware
College Starter

Brown/UMass this saturday. Brown seems to be playing a softer schedule this year compared to seasons past and haven't acquitted themselves well when playing anybody of note. Who knows though, a surprising result does happen from time to time with this series (though there is less drama now that this game is no longer the regular season-ender for either team)...
Old 05-20-2006, 01:59 PM   #10
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Woot!

UMass takes the rematch with Hofstra 11-10 in Overtime to advance to the first Final Four in school history! Down 10-5 with 8 minutes to go, scores 5 straight to take it to OT and after a save by our freshman goalie gets the win. Jake Deane, the "Terminator" at the X, wins 20 of 25 faceoffs with the help of the wings and another freshman, Jimmy Connolly, scores 5 goals to lead the team.

Play the winner of Maryland-Princeton (tomorrow @12) next Saturday in Philly. Other semifinal will match the winners of Johns Hopkins-Syracuse (starting now, on ESPNU, probably some local FSN/Comcast channels) and Georgetown-#1 and undefeated Virginia.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:44 PM   #11
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Told you John Hopkins and UVA should have elimintated their minor sports.
Old 05-20-2006, 04:51 PM   #12
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Somewhat unrelated, but lacrosse just became a varsity HS sport in Minnesota this past week. Thought it was pretty cool.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 07:02 PM   #13
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Told you John Hopkins and UVA should have elimintated their minor sports.
I believe you mean The Johns Hopkins University, who Syracuse dispatched 13-12 in quarterfinal #2. Most likely on to UVa for them.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:21 PM   #14
QuikSand
lolzcat

If the high seeds hold, and UVa and Maryland make it in... this will be the first final four I can remember where there weren't teams I will be rooting *aggressivley* against. I don't care one way or the other about UMass, but I root for Syracuse, Virginia, and Maryland in that order, more or less.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:27 PM   #15
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP
I believe you mean The Johns Hopkins University, who Syracuse dispatched 13-12 in quarterfinal #2. Most likely on to UVa for them.

Yeah, I usually say John instead of Johns. It rolls off the tongue better even though I have to keep from snarling when I say either way.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:51 PM   #16
Klinglerware
College Starter

A rough tournament for the Ivy League. 4 bids to the men's tournament (though the Harvard selection was a near travesty), only Princeton remains.

The Cornell upset over Duke doesn't look nearly as impressive as it did a couple of months ago. But then again, in hindsight, Duke hadn't really proved it could beat a winning team before their season ended...
Old 05-20-2006, 07:56 PM   #17
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Yeah, I usually say John instead of Johns. It rolls off the tongue better even though I have to keep from snarling when I say either way.
Oh, I was just kinda joking because I find it just as annoying as when people talk about The Ohio State University... but unlike more popular sports, in the lacrosse world you actually run into Hopkins people.

I'm really rooting for Maryland tomorrow, partly because they've always been my favorite team other than UMass, but also because I hate Princeton's style/tempo and think it would cause more problems for UMass than a matchup with Maryland. The UVa/G'Town game I'm fairly agnostic about, but I think I'll root for G'Town just for the underdog factor.

Maryland/Princeton @ 12 with UVa/G'Town to follow at Towson's campus. If you don't get ESPNU, hxxp://www.laxpower.com/graphics/espn_qf.gif has a list of other TV outlets covering the games.
Old 05-20-2006, 08:02 PM   #18
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware
A rough tournament for the Ivy League. 4 bids to the men's tournament (though the Harvard selection was a near travesty), only Princeton remains.

The Cornell upset over Duke doesn't look nearly as impressive as it did a couple of months ago. But then again, in hindsight, Duke hadn't really proved it could beat a winning team before their season ended...
I still think Cornell was the 2nd or 3rd best team in the country this year... UMass is too inconsistent, but when they come to play, they can beat anyone except maybe UVA. Cornell definitely got screwed on that seeding (again). As for Harvard, they probably didn't deserve to be in, but you have to have another team to replace them, and none of the Loyola/Towson/Penn St/Delaware grouping presented a strong argument.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:54 PM   #19
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Maryland builds a lead and stalls out the game to beat Princeton 11-6 and Virginia turns it on in the 3rd quarter and beats Georgetown 20-8.

Official order hasn't been announced, but the smart money is on UMass-Maryland at 11:30 AM next Saturday followed by Syracuse-Virginia at about 2.
Old 05-21-2006, 05:54 PM   #20
QuikSand
lolzcat

I'll be there.
Old 05-21-2006, 05:55 PM   #21
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

YAY!

I was just talking to somebody about this, that MD was doing well in the NCAA lax tourney, glad to see they didn't disappoint.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 06:51 PM   #22
QuikSand
lolzcat

Just got back from today... UVa looked really, really good in just dismantling Syracuse. 17-10 and it wasn't really that close. Ouch.

UVa - UMass on Monday. I'll take the 'hoos.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:43 PM   #23
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
Just got back from today... UVa looked really, really good in just dismantling Syracuse. 17-10 and it wasn't really that close. Ouch.
Yes, yes they did. 2nd half vs. G'Town and opening 16 minutes today is the best offensive lacrosse possibly since the 1990 Syracuse team.
Quote:
UVa - UMass on Monday. I'll take the 'hoos.
That's where the smart money is, but we've just beaten the #2,3 and 4 teams in a row, so let's see if the Cinderella story can continue. After the first 16 minutes today UVa started playing waaayyyyy too aggressively on defense, getting fancy on offense and let Syracuse back into it. If Syracuse's EMO was working, they could have gotten back within 2-3 goals after 3 quarters, so basically I'm hoping Virginia plays like that for a whole game and maybe we can sneak out a win late.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:04 PM   #24
Klinglerware
College Starter

Noticed that Brown beat UMass this past weekend. I'm not sure if Brown is for real this year, but were people expecting UMass to drop off this much from last year?
Old 03-20-2007, 04:43 PM   #25
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware View Post
Noticed that Brown beat UMass this past weekend. I'm not sure if Brown is for real this year, but were people expecting UMass to drop off this much from last year?
UMass only lost 3 seniors, but they were possibly the best attackman (Morris) defenseman (Reid) and Faceoff guy (Deane) in the country. The defense has done well, but no one has stepped up on offense (note the 4 goals scored vs. Brown, although the weather certainly didn't help) and we've struggled mightily on faceoffs (we've since moved a freshman in there and he's doing better, a little less than 50/50). Have to figure out who the alpha players are on offense and basically win the ECAC to make the tournament this year. And the 3 losses prior to Brown were @Hofstra, @Albany (#2 in the country ) and vs. Yale by a combined 4 goals, so it's not like the drop-off has been huge, we're just losing 1 goal games instead of winning them this year.

With Brown I don't know yet. They've got the wins over UMass and Hofstra, but only beat Bellarmine by a goal. They play a number of decent teams in the coming weeks, but the only 2 top 10 teams are Princeton and Cornell who they get the last two weekends.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:57 AM   #26
Klinglerware
College Starter

Yeah, it does look like UMass' losses have been close.

Brown's defense has been pretty stingy as well, but as you say, they'll definitely be tested as they start playing the Ivy schedule. But so far, this is more than I expected--Brown's definitely in rebuilding mode with a new HC after falling on hard times the past few years.

In other news, Brown is recruiting Reade Seligmann (I've read that he's also being recruited by Harvard for football). I kind of have mixed feelings about it--there's definitely baggage, but ultimately I think he could be a potentially good get for Brown (usually someone with Seligmann's academic/athletic potential ends up at Princeton or south of the Mason-Dixon line). It really depends if Seligmann thinks he can fit in with (or at least stomach) the culture at Brown. Also Seligmann doesn't have any priors--I would have greater issue if they were recruiting some of the other guys that have convictions for things more serious than alcohol...
Old 05-24-2008, 01:43 PM   #27
Dekanth
Mascot

annual bump

Very entertaining first Semifinal between Syracuse and Virginia. Nice comeback by Syracuse. I was very impressed with the Virginia goaltender though.
Dekanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 02:06 PM   #28
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Nice comeback there, and a great OT period once the timeouts were out of the way early.

Now on to see Duke's semi-pro team roll Hopkins. (For those that don't follow lacrosse closely, all the Duke players got an extra year of eligibility after that scandal, and they have like 6 starters playing their 5th year, including returning Tewaaraton winner Danowski.)

The Duke attack trio of Danowski, Zach Greer (all-time NCAA goal scoring leader, and he has another year left) and Max Quinzani (Massachusetts kid I played with back when he was like 12 and I was in HS) might be the best ever. Hopkins does have the 2 1-goal victories in the last 3 Final Four's.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 05-24-2008 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:11 PM   #29
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Another great game going on. Quinzani just hit the post on a shot that would have tied the game at 9, Hopkins comes right down and takes the 10-8 lead. 4 minutes to go.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:26 PM   #30
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Duke shot saved in the last 2 seconds again, Hopkins wins by 1. Pietramala shows why he's the best defensive coach in the game (I put him above Tierney) and Hopkins goalie had 17 saves and the game of his life.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:27 PM   #31
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Watched that Virginia-Syracuse game when we were out at lunch. What a finish.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:28 PM   #32
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Duke shot saved in the last 2 seconds again, Hopkins wins by 1. Pietramala shows why he's the best defensive coach in the game (I put him above Tierney) and Hopkins goalie had 17 saves and the game of his life.

Always fun to see Duke lose.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 12:00 AM   #33
QuikSand
lolzcat

The Hopkins keeper is our pediatrician's son - seems like a good kid. Nice to see him have a huge game at a good time.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:52 AM   #34
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
The Hopkins keeper is our pediatrician's son - seems like a good kid. Nice to see him have a huge game at a good time.
Reminds me of watching the best goaltending performance I'd ever seen (by Tillman Johnson of UVA), then having my mom go "Oh, by the way, you know that kid. He lived down the street from you on Shipwright, and you used to play street hockey against him all the time." Really, couldn't have mentioned that earlier?

Gvozden really did have a great game. People might focus on the late saves he had, but IMO it was really the 3-4 he made in the opening minutes. None were spectacular, but any one of those early goals go in and JHU is on its heels from the start, fresh off the 17-6 memory.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:26 PM   #35
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
Go 'Cuse and Go Canisius!

Got to see them play at the dome in NCAAs this year. Had my SU hat and Canisius practice shirt on
Old 05-25-2008, 02:11 PM   #36
Buccaneer
Head Coach

How many times has it been SU and Hopkins?
Old 05-25-2008, 02:16 PM   #37
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
How many times has it been SU and Hopkins?

This is the 5th, but it's been quite a while. Three in a row in the late 80s.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:56 PM   #38
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, this is why I was cheering Hopkins on since I don't like Duke, I want to see a classic SU/Hopkins title match and Hopkins was the underdog.

It should be another great game of contrasting styles tho I think SU is more used to slowdown than Duke was.

I'll be happily watching it in HD tomorrow
Old 05-25-2008, 05:58 PM   #39
Schmidty
Coordinator

I've always liked lacrosse. I remember watching the Detroit Turbo games back in the early 90's. Of course, that was indoor lacrosse, but it was still really fun to watch.

Last edited by Schmidty : 05-25-2008 at 06:00 PM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 01:00 PM   #40
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

If SU can stop shooting into the goalie's chest they could start pulling away...
Old 05-26-2008, 03:35 PM   #41
QuikSand
lolzcat

Excellent win for Syracuse, and quite a story after the last few years and 2007 in particular. I've never seen this from SU before... patient, disciplined, hustling, winning faceoffs, strong on defense... it's refreshing, really. Great win today, they honestly looked much the better team out there.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:37 PM   #42
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Woohoo@@!!!!@@
Old 05-26-2008, 04:54 PM   #43
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Gvozden and Syracuse's poor shooting combined to keep Hopkins in the game 1st half, but other then Rabil they had no one on offense and Syracuse started finishing.

Kind of annoying it was 4 of the same elite again, but those were 3 well-played, exciting games. Always good for the sport. See you guys in the thread next Memorial Day weekend.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:20 PM   #44
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

F THE CUSE

Go anyone else!
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 05:32 PM   #45
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Ya'll have to excuse VIPPY when he's loaded up on that vile crap he calls beer.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:38 PM   #46
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Staropramen = the bomb, kind sir

The Cuse still = the suck
Old 05-26-2008, 05:59 PM   #47
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97 View Post
Staropramen = the bomb, kind sir

The Cuse still = the suck

That's right, I forgot where you were.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:23 PM   #48
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
That's right, I forgot where you were.
You can take the hillbilly out of the hills, but you can't take the the hills out of the hillbilly.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:27 PM   #49
Groundhog
Coordinator

I watched the last half of a pro league lacrosse game on ESPN of all places on the weekend. It was the first time I'd ever seen the sport played, and I found it pretty enjoyable (was Boston vs somebody). Sorta like a mix between ice hockey and soccer - sockey, as I'd like to call it.

Would certainly rather watch lacrosse than baseball, anyhow.

What's with the name though, French?
Old 05-26-2008, 08:26 PM   #50
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Gvozden and Syracuse's poor shooting combined to keep Hopkins in the game 1st half, but other then Rabil they had no one on offense and Syracuse started finishing.

Kind of annoying it was 4 of the same elite again, but those were 3 well-played, exciting games. Always good for the sport. See you guys in the thread next Memorial Day weekend.

The 1st half is certainly correct. SU outplayed Hopkins the whole game and Hopkins could neevr get any sort of offense out of anyone not named Rabil.

It's going to take a long time before the final four isn't some mix of the "same elite", it's just the way it is with lacrosse still being regional. The same high schools produce the talent in the same area of certain states and they all want to go to the same schools.

Nice to hear my HS alma mater get some love during the game