Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-28-2018, 07:06 PM   #601
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Paul out for Game 7. Huge break again for the Warriors.

Yeah, I gotta think that makes the outcome a pretty foregone conclusion honestly. Damned shame for a G7, but that's how it goes sometimes I guess.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:53 PM   #603
kingfc22
Head Coach

Hard to win when you close out a game 1/30 from 3.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:21 AM   #604
Groundhog
Coordinator

D'Antoni is a one-trick pony. Rockets had no plan B, and their execution in the last 2 minutes was woeful.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:37 AM   #605
RainMaker
General Manager

Not sure you can hang that on D'Antoni. He's a Chris Paul injury away from winning that series against a team with twice the talent.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:50 AM   #606
RainMaker
General Manager

Also tough break for the Rockets. Seems like the whole universe just stuck it to them. Paul injury, a statistically improbable shooting performance, and some bias officiating. They were the better team through 5 games and should have won the series without some bad luck.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:59 AM   #607
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Not sure you can hang that on D'Antoni. He's a Chris Paul injury away from winning that series against a team with twice the talent.

His team shot like shit, sure, but does D'Antoni have anything in his playbook outside of 4-out isos and pick and rolls? I get that the team is designed to play on those strengths, but maybe try the odd set play here and there and see if you can create something else, especially if you are 0-for-everything from deep.

They had a chance with CP3, but it would've taken the usual big shot heroics by Harden or CP3 versus anything D'Antoni drew up.

I was really hoping Harden would have an unconscious shooting night and pick up the W today because I honestly think the Cavs can beat this Rockets team in 7 games. Both teams run unimaginative and predictable halfcourt offenses, but the Cavs have the best player. I wouldn't consider them the favourites, but I'd give them a 40% chance. No way in hell they beat this Warriors team though, barring some significant injuries or LeBron having the best 7 game stretch of his life.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:02 AM   #608
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Which situation do you like better at the moment going forward Boston or Philly?

I like the Celtics situation better just because I think they are further along in their process than the Sixers. They have their star (stars?) already. Of course this is all contingent to Hayward and Irving are in good health. I also trust Danny Ainge more than I trust Bryan Colangelo.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:23 AM   #609
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
His team shot like shit, sure, but does D'Antoni have anything in his playbook outside of 4-out isos and pick and rolls? I get that the team is designed to play on those strengths, but maybe try the odd set play here and there and see if you can create something else, especially if you are 0-for-everything from deep.

They had a chance with CP3, but it would've taken the usual big shot heroics by Harden or CP3 versus anything D'Antoni drew up.

I was really hoping Harden would have an unconscious shooting night and pick up the W today because I honestly think the Cavs can beat this Rockets team in 7 games. Both teams run unimaginative and predictable halfcourt offenses, but the Cavs have the best player. I wouldn't consider them the favourites, but I'd give them a 40% chance. No way in hell they beat this Warriors team though, barring some significant injuries or LeBron having the best 7 game stretch of his life.

The easy answer is no but why would he? I get if you don't like D'Antoni as a coach but this is who he is. I also think this is what the organization is as well. The Rockets are all in on high volume three point shooting and layups. They believe in that at their core. I am not sure I would trust D'Antoni if he strayed too far from it if I am a player.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 05-29-2018, 09:00 AM   #610
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:

Chris Paul injured when his team need him the most?

Just like 2017. And 2016, 15, 14, and so on.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:56 AM   #611
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Another great game by him, though I could do without people celebrating his staredown and pretending that was another great chasedown block on Rozier when he clearly fouled him on the arm after initially getting ball.
Much like with the Smart "Holy Ghost" offensive foul draw against Lebron, it's hard to fault refs when it takes a slow down replay to see the foul. Had Lebron hit his head or even shoulder, I could see the foul. But giving him a partial high 5 after initially blocking the ball isn't really going to be called in real time. Plus, the timing and skill to block him based on the angle is pretty impressive. In this era of players being unwilling to potentially get posterized, it's nice to see a star try to contest dunks. Sometimes it works (Rozier) and sometimes it doesn't (Tatum). But, overall, Lebron's willingness to try the block does get in people's heads.
Old 05-29-2018, 02:06 PM   #612
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Also tough break for the Rockets. Seems like the whole universe just stuck it to them. Paul injury, a statistically improbable shooting performance, and some bias officiating. They were the better team through 5 games and should have won the series without some bad luck.

Homer Alert!

No way they were the better team for 5 games. The highest scoring offense was held to under 100 for 5 games. They were clearly the best in games 2 and 5.
Losing a finals MVP for last 4 games is what gave rockets a chance. No way with Iguodala they would have made so many defensive mental mistakes in the 4th quarter in game 4.
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:42 PM   #613
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Chris Paul injured when his team need him the most?

Just like 2017. And 2016, 15, 14, and so on.

As one of the few resident Clips fans, I thank you for noticing. When I first saw that CP3 hsd gotten hurt, I just rolled my eyes.

I'm guessing Blake Griffin picked up a sympathy injury while golfing sometime in the last week, too.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 05-29-2018 at 02:42 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 04:05 PM   #614
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
As one of the few resident Clips fans, I thank you for noticing. When I first saw that CP3 hsd gotten hurt, I just rolled my eyes.

I'm guessing Blake Griffin picked up a sympathy injury while golfing sometime in the last week, too.

Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 04:19 PM   #615
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Was hoping that somehow the cavs could steal a series from Mike D'antonio and Paul/Harden. Oh well

Last edited by stevew : 05-29-2018 at 04:40 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 04:24 PM   #616
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

What do you think they should have run with that personnel?
Old 05-29-2018, 07:37 PM   #617
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Ive never seen Harden have success with anything but ISO's. I am actually stunned that the Rockets made the Paul/Harden combo work as well as it did this year.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:26 PM   #618
miami_fan
Coordinator

I wonder if we are seeing peak Harden. I think he has perfected his game in this offense. The one thing he could work on offensively is a post game but I don't see a use for a guard post game in this offense.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:56 PM   #619
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
All I want is a finals that isn't GS/CLE.

Just for the record, I hold you responsible for all of this.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:48 PM   #620
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Just for the record, I hold you responsible for all of this.

Don't worry, I have a strongly developed sense of self-loathing.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:10 PM   #621
JPhillips
General Manager

This Colangelo dummy Twitter accounts story is bananas.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:16 PM   #622
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:

Something? Anything? Something involving movement off the ball? I don't know. There are almost limitless amounts of plays you CAN run in a halfcourt set, even with a 4-out offense. That's what makes him a one-trick pony to me, at some point as a coach at the highest level you need to be able to pull out a whiteboard and draw something up, and I don't think he's capable of it.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:20 PM   #623
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I also trust Danny Ainge more than I trust Bryan Colangelo.

Quote:

See what I mean. Ainge is better at keeping his secret accounts a secret.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:27 PM   #624
miami_fan
Coordinator

Old 05-29-2018, 11:53 PM   #625
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Much like with the Smart "Holy Ghost" offensive foul draw against Lebron, it's hard to fault refs when it takes a slow down replay to see the foul. Had Lebron hit his head or even shoulder, I could see the foul. But giving him a partial high 5 after initially blocking the ball isn't really going to be called in real time. Plus, the timing and skill to block him based on the angle is pretty impressive. In this era of players being unwilling to potentially get posterized, it's nice to see a star try to contest dunks. Sometimes it works (Rozier) and sometimes it doesn't (Tatum). But, overall, Lebron's willingness to try the block does get in people's heads.
Don't have a problem with no call in real time. Just gonna get triggered when I see replays of it after we've all seen the slow motion replays where it is a foul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
See what I mean. Ainge is better at keeping his secret accounts a secret.

BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:53 PM   #626
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Right now I'm checking out the podcast
Old 05-30-2018, 11:42 PM   #627
stevew
Hall Of Famer

How does BC still have a job? The sixers should fire him yesterday.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:18 AM   #628
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
How does BC still have a job? The sixers should fire him yesterday.
It looks like it wasn't him, but his wife. (Or at least one account was her, one ghost account that never tweeted was him, and the other 3 could be either but were probably the wife.) And Roger Goodell never got fired for that either.

For the Celtics' sake I hope he's not fired, and this should give just enough leeway to management to keep him!
Old 05-31-2018, 12:31 AM   #629
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I turn around for 5 minutes and new developments break... it wasn't just Twitter accounts! (?) https://www.libertyballers.com/2018/...urner-accounts

This must be what political junkies felt when the Trump stuff was initially being linked together. Except it's actually happening quickly, probably won't last 18+ months, and it involves a team president, not our country's, so I can laugh about it instead of just get depressed if the worst case is true!
Old 05-31-2018, 09:08 AM   #630
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Colangelo story is nuts. Great job by the reporters involved. Very thorough. The three accounts going private, plus the incident with the "blinding" uniforms of the Delaware (?) team on the one night Colangelo just happened to be at their game, means it could not be anyone but him or someone privy to a lot of sensitive info who travels with him and that he was well aware was doing it. I suppose his wife might fit that bill.

Reminds me so much of something I personally uncovered back in 2011. It was a much smaller scale obviously than the NBA, but the University of New Orleans' Sports Information Director was on our fan message board under an alias posting insults to fans and even student athletes and athletes' parents. Then, he disappeared and started doing the same thing under a different name. Had his own made-up backstory and everything. Being the board moderator and also having received e-mails from him, I pieced together that they were all coming from the same IP address. Same thing, as soon as I made it public through the team's former announcer, he started frantically deleting all of his offensive posts (though I made sure to have copies of the worst ones).

Upshot of it, though, is that it got swept under the rug with nothing more than a reprimand and he stayed employed for a couple of years after. So there's hope, Bryan Colangelo! Even though there really is no way he should survive this.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:54 AM   #631
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
It looks like it wasn't him, but his wife. (Or at least one account was her, one ghost account that never tweeted was him, and the other 3 could be either but were probably the wife.) And Roger Goodell never got fired for that either.

For the Celtics' sake I hope he's not fired, and this should give just enough leeway to management to keep him!

I'm certainly not claiming to be any kind of genius, but when I read it the first time I was pretty sure it was going to end up being somebody like a wife or a family member. Too many things that were circumstantial to him being there but wouldn't really have made sense for him to be tweeting (like stuff right before a game he was announcing on IIRC)
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:45 PM   #632
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I'm certainly not claiming to be any kind of genius, but when I read it the first time I was pretty sure it was going to end up being somebody like a wife or a family member. Too many things that were circumstantial to him being there but wouldn't really have made sense for him to be tweeting (like stuff right before a game he was announcing on IIRC)

Why does it matter if it was the wife? He was clearly in the know the whole time. The non-tweeting account was his, which followed the others, so he knew she was doing it and did nothing to stop it. Then when the light starts to shine in suddenly the accounts disappear, showing he certainly could put a stop to it when necessary.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:41 PM   #633
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Something? Anything? Something involving movement off the ball? I don't know. There are almost limitless amounts of plays you CAN run in a halfcourt set, even with a 4-out offense. That's what makes him a one-trick pony to me, at some point as a coach at the highest level you need to be able to pull out a whiteboard and draw something up, and I don't think he's capable of it.

So if the play is different, the shots would fall? A lot of the shots they missed were open. That's the goal of a play is to get open looks.

That "one-trick" is the most efficient way to play basketball and every team in the league is copying it.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:48 PM   #634
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
What Fidatelo said should be enough to be damning evidence he at least knew, but there's also the possibility of shared accounts. That's right, a second tweeter!

The conspiracy part that doesn't seem to be taking off is that Sam Hinkie may have actually been the Twitter egg who forwarded the information to the Ringer, or at least the one who discovered the connection. He teaches a class at Stanford on artificial intelligence, worked as an investor with start-ups who were doing that type of social networking linking, and those accounts were actually tweeting at him at times so they would've crossed his radar.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:06 PM   #635
Logan
Head Coach

Hinkie being the source, or at least someone working along with him, seems to fit "more probable than not" to me.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:18 PM   #636
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
So if the play is different, the shots would fall? A lot of the shots they missed were open. That's the goal of a play is to get open looks.

If the shots are different? If you use Harden as a decoy to try and get a back-cut off the weak side for a cheapie at the basket every once in awhile? Literally anything else except iso 3 or drive and dish from Harden? It's not revolutionary and a lot of the better teams in the NBA (and every other level) do it.

Quote:
That "one-trick" is the most efficient way to play basketball and every team in the league is copying it.

The Rockets version of the "one-trick" (ie. "3 or at the hoop") is coming almost solely off spread iso ball - it's the most extreme version of that style of play by design. It was very effective with arguably the best iso scorer in the NBA handling the ball, but similar to the Cavs with LeBron, incredibly predictable, and in a 7 game series I think that comes back to hurt you a lot more than it does during the regular season. If Harden had a handful of crazy scoring nights the Rockets could've still taken the series, sure. There's something to be said for ball movement and making the defense move their legs that the metrics don't necessarily capture, IMO.

The Warriors can slip into watching Durant iso, but otherwise they run a very pretty offense, and come up with creative ways to get points. I don't think Kerr is a genius and the talent level obvious helps, but a lot of it is just competent Xs and Os and having a few tricks up their sleeves when needed.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:11 PM   #637
JPhillips
General Manager

Typical Draymond dirty play with the hand right into LeBron's face.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:12 PM   #638
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I just don't get the argument against a team that is getting good shots. I mean if they aren't good shots(reasonably open for players within their effective range), that's one thing and you should be trying something different. But sometimes everything goes in, sometimes it doesn't. I don't lay that on a coach. I lay it on 'stuff happens'.

Tonight Cleveland needs to stop taking dumb shots, and they've got a chance at an upset. Too many bad possessions, and unlike the Warriors they don't have the talent to get away with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips
Typical Draymond dirty play with the hand right into LeBron's face.

That's questionable, but I'm not sure it was intentional. Complaining about the call when you slapped the guy in the face and put your fingers in his eye on his way to the hoop, and then calling the ref a "F****** p****" for giving you a tech for doing so ... yeah I pretty much have no use for that.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 05-31-2018 at 09:13 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:29 PM   #639
JPhillips
General Manager

To my eye Draymond put one hand up for the ball and pushed the other hand forward into his face. I'm not sure he meant to poke his eye, but he definitely meant to push his hand into LeBron's face.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:28 PM   #640
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Holy crap!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:29 PM   #641
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

JR Smith, super genius.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:31 PM   #642
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

It really is the Cleveland Lebrons

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:35 PM   #643
bhlloy
Coordinator

Not sure how everything can be reviewed down to the millisecond except a time out call. That was a completely terrible call on the Hill foul on Durant as well.

Lol JR Smith though. Not smart.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:36 PM   #644
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

The refs ruined this one. The changed call and then the no call when LeBron was fouled and should have gotten an and one only to call a couple on the following Curry drive.

Of course JR Smith with the boneheaded play.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:41 PM   #645
RainMaker
General Manager

Tony Brothers performing fellatio on the Warriors did not help the Cavs chances.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:42 PM   #646
bhlloy
Coordinator

That’s a soul crushing loss. Would be an epic feat to not get swept at this point.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:46 PM   #647
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
I don’t think anything is a better example of LeBron James having to carry a bunch of terrible teammates than LeBron having to literally point J.R. Smith to the basket with the ball and three seconds left in a tie game.
-Bill Barnwell
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:46 PM   #648
bhlloy
Coordinator

DOLA - I don't understand playing JR Smith 38 minutes and Kyle Korver only 17.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:51 PM   #649
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

You want Korver defending Thompson?
Old 05-31-2018, 10:54 PM   #650
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

JR Smith is out there for his basketball IQ.

They were doing fine with Korver tonight(+10) bit I wonder if they dont like him out there unless Livingston is in the game figuring a huge defensive liability trying to guard Curry, Klay, or Durant.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote