Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-19-2021, 08:14 PM   #201
QuikSand
lolzcat

Whatever wasn’t working with QB Derek Carr has been remedied. Tiny Derek Carr is a blur and my offense is very tricky to stop. I had a moment of weakness and skipped the sure thing 90 MF player #2 in hopes of “rolling” a good player I could later sell… but I still may go and buy/build another high end MF player, this super speed thing is just too fun.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 09:43 AM   #202
QuikSand
lolzcat

Update… I have 6x of the 88 CeeDee Lamb cards bought for around 48K each, will try to sell them today at 64K each. Seems fairly likely they’ll go at that price which is competitive with the market now.

It’s not an exciting time being a mostly market guy. Prices feel high, since I still remember aggressively looking for 90 rated cards for under 100K… now that “good price” is more like 115-120k. It’s not clear whether there was just a dip for a while that subsided, or what… but I’m not cycling nearly as much as I had been, for fear of being too card-rich and cash-poor for a coming realignment… the market feels like it’s due to drop, either from a pack odds change or some big splash new card(s) like a Bo Jackson or Randy Moss.
Old 10-21-2021, 09:46 AM   #203
QuikSand
lolzcat

Tomorrow should be the second of three stages of this Most Feared series, presumably another batch of a few cards at multiple levels from 79 up to 92, with a couple use-only 90 cards as rewards for playing solo challenges. Hoping for some Cleveland help, as always, no Browns in the first group last week. But regardless, this should be yet another buying opportunity like with the TOTW… immediate glut then the market resets after a few days.
Old 10-21-2021, 10:13 AM   #204
QuikSand
lolzcat

Looks like CLE strikes out again this week, no new cards for the zbriens theme team.

Dolphins get a couple nice ones- a LTD 93 Byron Jones today, and good cards for S Eric Rowe and LB Kyle van Noy in the Most Feared series. Eventually I’ll build up that team too, I expect.
Old 10-21-2021, 11:13 AM   #205
QuikSand
lolzcat

The 90 Rison set looks like it’s finally (?) dead. The main card had previously been sewing for 280, 260 or so… Now there are only a handful of copies in the marketplace, but the buy price seems to be only around 200. Meanwhile, most of the component cards that had reliable spikes in prices… 70-something rated cards routinely going for 8K or 20 K… It seems that all of them have calmed down. I have bought up multiple copies of the cards that would be candidates to go back up to high prices, if this were to get lively again… But after a few days of doldrums, I am starting to get resigned that the show is over.
Old 10-21-2021, 11:17 AM   #206
QuikSand
lolzcat

I just made a bit of a last ditch play, trying to squeeze a little more value out of this. One particular card, that I have seen routinely selling for 12 to 20 K… I noticed there were only three copies available in the marketplace, and I bought them all for a total of about 20 K. Relisted two of them at 15 and 18 K, respectively, hoping to revive the scarcity of this particular card.

The scary so he has always been artificial, but it was always driven by undo demand for the components of this particular site… Now that the 90 Rison is no longer a high end, elite card, that many theme teams absolutely must have… The whole thing is much less compelling. Who is out there looking to spend 250 or 280 on this card right now? You can buy a copy of 90 Corey Davis for 120 K, and he is basically the same card.

Anyway, I am invested enough in this… I still have two copies of the 90 Rison for sale, and I still own many of these component parts, so it is very much in my interest to get as much action in this site as I possibly can.
Old 10-21-2021, 03:50 PM   #207
QuikSand
lolzcat

There are over 10x of the 90 Rison card for sale, including two in the 180s with no takers yet. Drying up.

I did sell a couple of those component cards I tried to monopolize for 15k, but tye market is back up to 12 copies and price down to 6-7k
Old 10-21-2021, 07:08 PM   #208
QuikSand
lolzcat

The Most Feared 93 card as “champion” of this second set will be… Randy Moss. Giddyup.
Old 10-21-2021, 09:12 PM   #209
QuikSand
lolzcat

90 Rison now selling in the 140s, show must be over with him
Old 10-22-2021, 05:44 AM   #210
QuikSand
lolzcat

The price for the 83 Dan Marino power up card has crept down below 300k… still out of my price range but not unimaginable that I could get it. Most likely, by the time I feel that I can afford to do it, the card will no longer be particularly special… Powering it all the way up to 93, or adding in the big card to take them to 96, right now makes that a complete stand out… Several points higher than anything else in the universe. In two months or so, it will be just another 95 or 96. Yawn.
Old 10-22-2021, 05:53 AM   #211
QuikSand
lolzcat

Pasted from online…these fun booster cards just got nerfed out of usefulness:

We wanted to let you know about changes to the Most Feared Strategy Items. With these changes, we will allow these Most Feared Strategy Items to be used in online games like H2H Seasons and Weekend League.

These changes are now live in-game.

Scary Speed Strategy Item will now be boosting the following attributes by 2 instead of 10:
+2 Speed
+2 Acceleration
+2 Agility
+2 COD (Change of Direction)
Monstrous Might Strategy Item:
Will now only increase the height of players by 2" instead of the previous 5"
Towering Terror Strategy Item:
To keep true to the name, Towering Terror will only increase the height of your players by 5" instead of the previous 20"
Note: No other attribute boosts on these Strategy Items will be changed.
Old 10-22-2021, 05:54 AM   #212
QuikSand
lolzcat

…apparently there was a workaround they couldn’t prevent and people were using them in online play, so they had to be muted severely. Sucks for the rest of us, like my son who was really into having super tall guys, etc.
Old 10-22-2021, 09:27 AM   #213
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, I’ve readjusted my Browns lineup…without the crazy +10 super speed benefit, these marginal MF players are no longer better than my usual starters. So I’m back to Chubb at RB1, and Cribbs at PR/KR, and my usual cast of defenders. Derek Carr will keep the QB job but is not a long term solution.

I’m now hoping for a good deal on the 91 Chubb card to max him out. Under 225k and it’s a buy for me, I suppose.

Marino? Meh.
Old 10-22-2021, 01:09 PM   #214
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Looks like CLE strikes out again this week, no new cards for the Browns theme team.

Wrong... upon full reveal: a 90 LG Joel Bitonio, and a 87 WR Odell Beckham Jr.

So, stuff to do now with the theme team.
Old 10-22-2021, 01:11 PM   #215
QuikSand
lolzcat

...and the Randy Moss card, as always, tends toward 420K in the market. It's always this way.
Old 10-23-2021, 06:22 AM   #216
QuikSand
lolzcat

So this is the perpetual upward ratings drift, happening a bit quickly this year by all accounts.

When I started writing here, those 84 Team Builders were exactly that - important guys to anchor your roster around. Now an 84 guy is a candidate for upgrade. When I got two WRs for the Dolphins rated 88 and 89 I felt like they were SET… now it’s a 94 everyone’s chasing. That’s just how it goes.
Old 10-23-2021, 06:25 AM   #217
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Wrong... upon full reveal: a 90 LG Joel Bitonio, and a 87 WR Odell Beckham Jr.

So, stuff to do now with the theme team.

Have both now.
Old 10-23-2021, 11:18 AM   #218
QuikSand
lolzcat

Today’s Legends cards (C Maurkice Pouncey and LB Broderick Thomas, meh) haven’t crashed the basket but I’m grabbing a few 89 cards around 60k which used to be fairly common, now feels like a huge bargain,
Old 10-23-2021, 12:35 PM   #219
QuikSand
lolzcat

The Art of Sniping

So, despite my discussions here about complex schemes for this and patience yielding that, the most productive thing to beat the market is just understanding sniping.

In this case, "sniping" is defined as perching as cards enter the marketplace, and when they arrive at an attractive price, you buy them immediately for the asking price. Simple as that. Sort of.

So, MUT Sniping 101 is basically watching a market you understand fairly well, and waiting for a card to pop up at a price where you believe you can sell it at a profit. No really serious skills needed here, just patience and luck.

Fine, got it. These cards typically go for 20,000 coins, and if I posted one right now at that price I could sell it for 20,000, meaning that after 10% tax I pull down 18,000. If that card is available for, say, 16,000 or less that's a sniping opportunity and should turn a short term profit, enough to compensate for the risk I'm taking.

Okay, what's next?

MUT Sniping 201 requires an understanding of the mechanics of the auction house, and understanding this is the single most important thing separating those who "get it" and those who don't.

Here's the big reveal: The auction house is only designed to show us 100 cards at a time. And if your set of filters you use to refine the search yields more than 100 cards, the first thing the auction house software (on both the console and in the app) will do is truncate your results to the 100 cards closest to their auction expiring.

This is not obvious, nor intuitive. But if you don't get it, you can't beat the market at a level higher than a little luck and a patience.

Filter by "Players rated 88 or 89" and "all offense" and then sort by "lowest buy now price" and intuitively you think you are seeing ALL such players, with the cheapest such guys at the top of the list. Tons of people do exactly this, and buy with confidence.

But right now, there are over 300 such players for sale. The game isn't showing you all of them, just the ones closest to expiring. Most players are put up for auction for one hour, so what you're seeing are just the guys who are within 18 minutes of their auction ending.

Why is this a problem? Remember above... the sniper is picking off bargains right as they become available. So, after 40 minutes of sitting around with no bids, what you're seeing with this bad filter is a list of offerings that the sharps have already declined. They are inherently bad deals. You are only looking at bad deals.

So... MUT Sniping 201 is... do enough filtering that you are always looking at 100 or fewer cards, in total. The whole universe of your filtered search. That way, you see them all. It can be painstaking... you might have to amend that earlier search of 88/89 offense to now include only 88/89 tight ends, or 88/89 offense from the Superstars set... but you need to see ALL the results, not just the closest-to-expiring. That's basically it, that's the 201 level key you need.

The way to tell? Sort your search by "Newest" and if the offerings are lively at all, they will start at "59 minutes remaining" meaning just put onto the block for 1hr. Now your filters are good, and you can sort by whatever you want, knowing you're getting a legit search. Snipe this way.

Now, what's next for MUT Sniping 301?

Pick your spots. What we want is a lively segment of the auction house (where a lot of cards are showing up) and ideally where there's a meaningful delta between the buy and sell prices prevailing. How can that persist? Remember the gets-it and doesn't-get-it groups. They will give us our edge.

When the Team of the Week lands each Tuesday, there are a wave of Madden players ripping packs and getting TOTW cards. And many of them are trying to complete sets to get the top-end cards from that week's set. In-game, that means there's a screen that lets you just click to do a pre-set search fo r the appropriate players -- very handy.

Except, when that market is hot, the search will return more than 100 players, and they only see the ones still around after some time. The bad deals. To complete a TOTW set, you might need 4x copies of any of the 4 85-rated cards from this week, you're on that page, and you do that search, it pulls up a big page of cards with the cheapest at, say, 28,000 gold. You buy 4 of them, and you're on your way to building the big stud of the week. Cool.

I, on the other hand, am also searching the 85-rated guys, but I'm doing so card by card... my searches are turning up only 80 cards each, not 300+. I'm seeing the ones that get listed for 15,000 and 18,000 and 20,000. You don't - they are gone before they get to your time-bound search. But what you are seeing is the same card that I just sniped for 18,000 right as it was placed for sale... and then I immediately turned around and re-listed it for 28,000. In 40 minutes, it shows up in your crappy filter looking like a good deal. You're happy, I'm rich.

It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen regularly... a market is artificially and temporarily hot and the ongoing list of sell prices is cacophonous but decidedly two-tiered... the exact same card over the last 5 minutes will have sale prices (from the model above) of 19, 20, 29, 19, 29, 29, 18, 29, 29, 20, 21, 29, 29... etc. The rich get richer, the poor get the picture.

That's the best setup you can get, generally limited only by the game's hard limit on only having 20 cards for sale at any time. So, with 1-2m in gold lying around, I'd rather be playing this game with the 90-rated cards for 100K - 124K than with the 85-rated cards for 20-something. But that's the play.

Anyway... that's the main reveal on how to make money in the Madden Auction House without quitting your day job. Learn a few tricks, and constantly look for ways to exploit them.

Last edited by QuikSand : 10-23-2021 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-24-2021, 11:30 AM   #220
QuikSand
lolzcat

So I got a new “strategy” card that powers up my OL blocking, and I’m looking to redouble my commitment to the run game. Will be searching for the 91 Chubb at a decent price, and tor the expensive Power Up for Raheem Mostert to upgrade my Hb2 role.
Old 10-24-2021, 07:46 PM   #221
QuikSand
lolzcat

No dice on finding the big Chubb card I wanted, but I did buy the Mostert power-up for 25K, and am trying to sell it at a profit. Failing that, I will keep it and power him up to 88 and make him HB2 ahead of Hunt for now. With the boost that comes from the last week of the Most Feared program, would be worth it if I get in any playing time.
Old 10-24-2021, 07:48 PM   #222
QuikSand
lolzcat

It's definitely a doldrums here... the MF program is good, but for my exact lane (committed theme team, no money spent) there's just not a lot for me to do right now.

The last 2 weeks, the TOTW release on Tuesday was a big dip in price for those cards, I might push in really heavy on the 88-rated guys from this week, just hoping to squeeze them for a 20% profit by next weekend. Especially if I don't expect to have much console/play time this week, that would be a solid money maker, I reckon. All those CeeDee lamb cards I bought at 48-50 last Tuesday are now selling reliably for 65K or more, and that's even without a super-compelling set to make.
Old 10-24-2021, 08:39 PM   #223
QuikSand
lolzcat

The Limited Edition (no longer available) 92 Justin Tucker released after his 66 yarder is out there for 960K. It’s a must have for top end players. Last few sales have been over 1.2k as are the other two copies available.

If I buy for 960K and sell for 1.2M, I’d clear 120k, that’s a lot to me. Ugh. Risk.
Old 10-24-2021, 08:44 PM   #224
QuikSand
lolzcat

…another pops up for 950k. Good to sit it out.
Old 10-25-2021, 06:00 AM   #225
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, D’Ernest Johnson had the best RB game of the week, I’d think he’d be a candidate for the TOTW set. Basically useless if he were just the 84/85 mid range guy… if he’s an 88 that would be useful for the theme team. I guess.

I’d think the 92 rated offensive star will be Burrow or Chase.

Last edited by QuikSand : 10-25-2021 at 06:01 AM.
Old 10-26-2021, 11:54 AM   #226
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, D Johnson gets a nearly useless 82-rated card. Unless he somehow manages to improve on last week's effort to the point where he earns another, that will forever be relegated to the class of "set cards" that have essentially no value in themselves, but are only useful as components of building the set to get a good, valuable card - like the Cooper Kupp 93 card that is the king of the TOTW this week.

I get it, but having Johnson sneak in there to be one of the 89s would have been a nice little boon for the Browns theme team. That slot went to TE Pitts, which is hard to argue against, I understand.
Old 10-26-2021, 02:38 PM   #227
QuikSand
lolzcat

The TOTW tier that had been 88 are 89 this week (Kyle Pitts and a GB LB) and now I am comfy splashing in on anything 60K or below, that's down at tasty training price and i'm way comfy with that. Hoping to buy 10+
Old 10-26-2021, 02:50 PM   #228
QuikSand
lolzcat

...looks like the app has other ideas. There's a bot-catcher that triggers every so often (when i'm very active) and makes me solve a quick puzzle to continue... it now seems to be on repeat and I can't even access the market via the app. So it goes. I got one lousy copy of TE Pitts, and am now sitting it out, it seems.
Old 10-26-2021, 03:04 PM   #229
QuikSand
lolzcat

...looks like I'm officially booted off the app now. Nice.
Old 10-28-2021, 09:53 AM   #230
QuikSand
lolzcat

Back in the app. Topped 2.5m in cash yesterday, then spent down when I got a cheap 91 Chubb (finally) and maxed him out with power running skills. He should be tough to handle.

Now around 2m with precious little I really want to do. Third/last wave of Most Feared tomorrow, ought to be lively but the special bonuses wear off after this weekend and they all become just normal cards. Stage 2 included Moss, LT, and someone else top shelf I’m forgetting. Last stage… Bo? Maybe Night Train Lane?
Old 10-28-2021, 10:03 AM   #231
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
The Limited Edition (no longer available) 92 Justin Tucker released after his 66 yarder is out there for 960K. It’s a must have for top end players. Last few sales have been over 1.2k as are the other two copies available.

If I buy for 960K and sell for 1.2M, I’d clear 120k, that’s a lot to me. Ugh. Risk.

I’ve been watching this card… weird setup right now.

All recent purchases have been over 900k, nearly half over 1m.

Four cards for sale right now, at:

What gives? There’s no set to build this card, why is the price maybe coming down, with no buyers? The answer could be that there’s a new set of “redux” cards on their way before long, to include all the Limited Edition 92 cards. That would make sense. I’m sitting this out, for fear that this becomes a 400k card in a few days time.

Last edited by QuikSand : 10-28-2021 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-28-2021, 11:22 AM   #232
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, nobody else is buying the 700K Tucker, so I figure I'm not missing out on a great deal there.
Old 10-28-2021, 11:31 AM   #233
QuikSand
lolzcat

Anyway, what is next for my Browns theme team?

Honestly, the only on-brand upgrades out there are:

-for roughly 300K, to get both Miles Austin cards, power him up to 93, and make him my WR2 alongside deep threat Cribbs and slot WR Rison

-for roughly 1.1m, get the LTD 92 card for DE Miles Garrett and max him out with extra training

Both of these are eventual things to do, but I expect to wait on Garrett until that LTD card has a Redux follow-up for a fraction of the price... and I'm not really moved that Austin will be a ton better than Rison already is.

So, at the moment, here are the non-Browns cards I am still using (as the Most Feared program subsides):

90 QB Derek Carr (MF)
90 SS Eric Rowe (MF) playing LB in nickel setup
88 K Jaguars guy (just a ton better than my 70-something Parkey)
87 Raheem Mostert (MF)
87 TE Cole Kmet (MF)
...and I think I technically have one non-chem effect among my safety guys

So... once the MF program ends, it will basically be all about the QB position. The team would surely be better overall if I just loaded up with a 92-rated DT... but I rather like having to patch over with an out-of-position DE or whatever as I'm not a top-end guy anyway.

We'll see where we are in a month. It's just more interesting having something I really want. The Dan Marino cards are going for maybe 250K Power Up and 800K Full 95 Card... I suppose I could be thinking about that, too.
Old 10-29-2021, 05:31 AM   #234
QuikSand
lolzcat

As the weirdness with the 92 Tucker card suggested, they have indeed released Redux cards for the 92 rated former Limited Edition cards. Most are going for around 300-400k now. Tucker maybe 700. And my Miles Garrett for over 600K. May be a while before o can max him out, after all, but I’ll watch that card closely.
Old 10-29-2021, 06:03 AM   #235
QuikSand
lolzcat

Prices seem to be down a bit too. Maybe they boosted some pack odds.
Old 10-29-2021, 11:20 AM   #236
QuikSand
lolzcat

Biggest news for the Browns theme team in today’s wave of Most Feared cards is a 90 Jordan Poyer, whose Power Up will have Browns chem. Nice.
Old 10-29-2021, 03:17 PM   #237
QuikSand
lolzcat

From overall assessments of the fully maxed-out theme teams...

..misleading for CLE if you cannot afford Marino, as the defect at QB is massive on a pure theme team without him. But at least the roster is top-third overall.
Old 10-29-2021, 08:13 PM   #238
QuikSand
lolzcat

Spent some gold today. Got the fully powered up WR Miles Austin, and now the fully Powered Up S Jordan Poyer, who will be a massive upgrade playing at FS.

I'm down around 1.1m in cash, more or less. Probably 1.6 if I were to liquidate all the easy-to-sell stuff where I'm trying to sell but awaiting a good price.
Old 10-30-2021, 08:16 AM   #239
QuikSand
lolzcat

New Legends cards drop this morning: Troy Polamalu and Plaxico Burress. Awesome, Steelers get double help, I got a rock.
Old 10-30-2021, 10:58 AM   #240
QuikSand
lolzcat

Everyone ripping packs to get Steelers Legends, I’m buying pieces for the Joe Thomas set at prices way below yesterday’s.
Old 10-30-2021, 11:10 AM   #241
QuikSand
lolzcat

Ok, so the easy to remember pricing that’s been “cheap” for the last two weeks has been 20 gold per unit of training.

89 card = 63,000
91 card = 140,000

For some time, seeing any 89 for 60K has been an insta-buy, feeling confident I could sell it later for 75k or more.

This morning there seems to be an infinite supply of Legends cards under these limits. I’ve spent down to 600K, but I’m stopping here for fear that this isn’t a hiccup but a longer term pricing change.

We’ll see. I have a lot to try to sell, regardless.
Old 10-30-2021, 12:45 PM   #242
QuikSand
lolzcat

Sounds like a pack odds change, and the price drops could be permanent. Ok in the long run. Might be frustrating in the short run if I can’t flip all the cards I bought today.
Old 10-31-2021, 01:29 PM   #243
QuikSand
lolzcat

Today the website mut.gg says the training market is down to 16 (from 29 yesterday and 22ish the last couple of weeks). I’m trying to sell all the stuff I bought around 18-19 yesterday… it’s gonna be slow and frustrating.

The set for Miles Austin remains lively… I’m trying to profit on the 88 Marquise Brown card that’s required 3x to complete the set. It seems to be in fairly short supply so I’m buying at around 55-60k when there are a lot around, and listen then for 90k and triggering an occasional sale when it runs dry. Just rinse and repeat.
Old 10-31-2021, 01:33 PM   #244
QuikSand
lolzcat

Kinda big news for theme teamers like me… they just released a Halloween special: RB Marshawn Lynch and QB Marcus Mariota who each can get chemistry with any franchise! I’ll grab MM quickly and ride him as QB1 a while.
Old 10-31-2021, 01:46 PM   #245
QuikSand
lolzcat

Looks like the two special cards have abilities pre-loaded, and Mariota is a scrambler. Huge.
Old 10-31-2021, 02:57 PM   #246
QuikSand
lolzcat

…oh wow Lynch has FB as a secondary position.

This release was designed for folks like me. The special promo to get these cards costs $10 cash but it’s flooded the market a bit, they’re not going for much more than generic 90 rated cards. Really cool.
Old 10-31-2021, 07:26 PM   #247
QuikSand
lolzcat

Got a short time to play a couple of games w Mariota. With the almost expired super speed card he’s electric. He’ll be really good for a while, though.

I will likely flip the switch to pure Browns theme, and just live with the weak spots at DT, K, and TE3.
Old 11-01-2021, 12:47 PM   #248
QuikSand
lolzcat

I didn’t think ahead on these new cards. I bought Mariota 2x, got weak knees when his price dipped to 115k and I sold my second copy for 135 or so.

Now the one day only promo is over and both cards are riding… Lynch around 150, Mariota around 145. I’ll look forward bargains but will assume these retain and even gain some value a while.
Old 11-01-2021, 08:13 PM   #249
QuikSand
lolzcat

Paid more than I wanted, but bought one investment copy each of the Lynch and Mariota. Paid 300k for the pair. I don’t know for sure but both seem likely to at least hold that value for some time, while no longer obtainable other than through the auction house. Over time a 90 card won’t be exciting but a really fast QB2 and a FB with all team Chems plus multiple abilities- they’re underpriced now at 170-185 each, still.
Old 11-01-2021, 08:20 PM   #250
QuikSand
lolzcat

So… TOTW big cards coming tomorrow announced. No Browns. No shock.

At this point my Browns wish list is basically:

DL (capable of playing DT)

CB
TE
S
MLB
P

One more quality DL would help soooo much.

Last edited by QuikSand : 11-01-2021 at 08:20 PM.