Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-15-2021, 12:49 PM   #701
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
Situations and games like this are a fairly rare occurrence and I would make an allowance for it.

Now, it's been many years but yeah, back in the day I would too. Lucky enough my kids were good in school so I'd have no problem calling him in sick the next day too. We'd have popcorn and make a fun life long memory night of it

I am a big fan of dramatic sports moments. Dodgers/Giants in a deciding game is one of those moments. I'd totally let my kid watch if he was a baseball fan.
Old 10-15-2021, 02:45 PM   #702
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

My daughter stayed up to watch the FSU/Auburn national championship game. That was January 2014 so she would have been 9 years old. From what I've seen, most kids can't sit through a baseball game, even if they are interested in the sport.

Hell, I usually don't watch games straight through anymore. The Sox/Yankees game a couple weeks ago was the first game I've watched (had the TV on) from start to finish this year, and that's only because we were on vacation and I didn't readily know other channels to easily flip to or have something else I wanted to watch. Most of the time, I have baseball games on as either background noise or I'm switching between 6-8 channels during pitches.

I still buy the MLB package (and use it) and yet I don't know hardly anyone on any team or the standings. I had no idea until the playoffs got set that the White Sox were any good this year.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 06:14 PM   #703
Atocep
Coordinator

I took my son to the midnight release of Skyrim when he was 9. We had a couple late nights watching games over the years as well. Those are some memories I wouldn't trade for anything.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:59 PM   #704
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I think Dodger and Giant fans would, of course, be up late. But if you're, say, a Twins fan - are you watching that? Most likely, only if it's easy.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 08:16 PM   #705
molson
General Manager

As a childless person, I thought the only purpose of bedtimes was so parents could have some time alone.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 08:39 PM   #706
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
As a childless person, I thought the only purpose of bedtimes was so parents could have some time alone.

We have bedtimes so we'll all survive the next day.

I've got a weird perspective on this. As far back as I can remember when I was a kid, my bedtime was 9 PM -- until high school, anyway, when my parents started leaving it up to me. So when I had kids, I followed the same pattern.

When my youngest was 16, my wife and I became foster parents for her grand niece and nephew, who had experienced severe abuse and neglect. They were 3 and 5 when they moved in with us. Bedtime became 7 PM. These kids were just...feral. By 7 PM, we were exhausted.

(For the happy ending here, my kiddos are now 11 and 13. It's currently 9:35 on a Friday night here, and we're watching the Red Sox/Astros game. My daughter is falling asleep on the couch because she's worn out from the new conditioning regimen her cheerleading coach put into place this week. The kids are both in a bit of a sugar coma because we celebrated their A/B honor roll report cards with too much ice cream. Weekday bedtime is still 9 PM, but on the weekends, we hang out late watching movies. They've made a ton of progress in the years since they had to be in bed by 7 PM or at least one of us was going to be dead by morning.)
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 08:56 PM   #707
cuervo72
Head Coach

I honestly think we gave up really early with the bedtime idea. Really it was a case of you're going to feel like shit tomorrow, do you want that? and after a couple of days of feeling like shit, no, no they didn't.
Old 10-16-2021, 10:16 PM   #708
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Braves take game 1 on a walk off hit. Man, that was a nerve-wracking game.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 07:35 AM   #709
PilotMan
Head Coach

I'm still coming down from that Giants series and didn't really even phase me. I think the Braves needed that win more and they played better ball. I hope tonight is better though.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 08:31 PM   #710
cuervo72
Head Coach

The home plate umpire keeps making me think I'm watching a little league game.
Old 10-17-2021, 10:37 PM   #711
Ksyrup

Shift be damned, that deserved to be a GW single up the middle. Glad it got through.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-18-2021, 06:21 AM   #712
GrantDawg

If every game of the NLCS is going to be like the first two, I am not going to survive. This feels so much like 1991, but I was younger man then and could take it.
Old 10-18-2021, 07:56 AM   #713
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
The home plate umpire keeps making me think I'm watching a little league game.
I coach little league (9-10y) and Saturday our runner was called out when he jumped over a batted ball that the fielder misplayed. First, the umpire said he interfered, then when we explained that wasn't possible he changed his story and said the ball hit the runner. Rather than argue (we were up big and the umpires are just teenagers) we let it go - much to the consternation of the kids.

I explained to them that bad calls are part of the game and that what umpires see and call on the field is the final word regardless of what really happened, and to watch the major league playoffs to see what I'm talking about.

One of the kids said "yeah, like in San Francisco." He gets it.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:31 AM   #714
cuervo72
Head Coach

I just meant because he's 6'7" and makes everyone look like a kid.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:34 PM   #715
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

E-Rod today: 18 outs
Astros Starters through 3 games: 16 Outs.

Crazy.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:57 PM   #716
molson
General Manager

The strategy of hitting home runs with the bases loaded has been solid.

Last edited by molson : 10-18-2021 at 11:57 PM.
Old 10-19-2021, 07:40 AM   #717
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I daresay that if you do that in a game, you are more likely to win than if you don't.

SI

Old 10-19-2021, 07:47 AM   #718
miked
College Starter

You know, I have not followed baseball as much as I have in the past, but has this "SP going 3 innings thing" been happening all year? I saw the Braves pinch hit for Ian Anderson who has been pretty solid this post season after just 3 innings. He gave up a 2-run bomb in the first inning and then got out of trouble in the 3rd. But he had only thrown like 50 pitches or so and there was nobody on and 1 out when they hit for him.

It seems like every game I turn on, I see a reliever by the 4th or 5th inning no matter the score. I think one of the Rays starters had averaged 4.5 innings/start all season. Odd.
Old 10-19-2021, 07:53 AM   #719
JPhillips
General Manager

In big games it's very uncommon to see a pitcher face a lineup for a third time.
Old 10-19-2021, 10:57 AM   #720
molson
General Manager

I haven't watched much baseball the last few years, the use of the starting pitchers does make the game feel a lot different to follow. It's much more about the batters taking their hacks against a sea of anonymous relievers. Much more of my focus is just on them. Once you get to the 7th reliever you've never heard of it basically just feels like a pitching machine.

I also wonder if the market value of starting pitching has been impacted. Owing Chris Sale about $90 more million doesn't seem ideal when he's going to get you maybe 3-4 inning in a playoff start, if he's pitching well.

Last edited by molson : 10-19-2021 at 10:58 AM.
Old 10-19-2021, 11:06 AM   #721
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
You know, I have not followed baseball as much as I have in the past, but has this "SP going 3 innings thing" been happening all year? I saw the Braves pinch hit for Ian Anderson who has been pretty solid this post season after just 3 innings.

Post-game comments were that it wasn't planned, that it was a function of "Anderson just didn't have it tonight".
Old 10-19-2021, 12:15 PM   #722
miami_fan
Coordinator

The suggestion that the Astros might be tipping their pitches made me LOL.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 12:56 PM   #723
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I haven't watched much baseball the last few years, the use of the starting pitchers does make the game feel a lot different to follow. It's much more about the batters taking their hacks against a sea of anonymous relievers. Much more of my focus is just on them. Once you get to the 7th reliever you've never heard of it basically just feels like a pitching machine.

I also wonder if the market value of starting pitching has been impacted. Owing Chris Sale about $90 more million doesn't seem ideal when he's going to get you maybe 3-4 inning in a playoff start, if he's pitching well.

Agree! They are killing the starting pitcher. By 2030, it will be just 13 pitchers facing 3 batters a game every day. Throwing more than 20 pitches a day be damn.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 12:59 PM   #724
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
You know, I have not followed baseball as much as I have in the past, but has this "SP going 3 innings thing" been happening all year? I saw the Braves pinch hit for Ian Anderson who has been pretty solid this post season after just 3 innings. He gave up a 2-run bomb in the first inning and then got out of trouble in the 3rd. But he had only thrown like 50 pitches or so and there was nobody on and 1 out when they hit for him.

It seems like every game I turn on, I see a reliever by the 4th or 5th inning no matter the score. I think one of the Rays starters had averaged 4.5 innings/start all season. Odd.

Its a different game starting around 2005. Batters take more pitches and stats say the 3rd time through an order is a recipe for disaster on starting pitchers. It has changed a lot just like the NFL has abandoned the run game for the most part. Does it make sense? Sure. Do I like it from a fans perspective? No

Last edited by jbergey22 : 10-19-2021 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-19-2021, 01:06 PM   #725
RainMaker
General Manager

Also, relievers are so much better than they were 20 years ago.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 01:32 PM   #726
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Also, relievers are so much better than they were 20 years ago.

Bwahahaha
Old 10-19-2021, 01:55 PM   #727
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Bwahahaha

I gotta be honest - whenever a team does a pitching change in the middle of the inning (unless it's a starting pitcher finally starting to lose it sometime after the 6th), I really really hope the reliever who comes in gets lit up.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-19-2021 at 01:55 PM.
Old 10-19-2021, 02:09 PM   #728
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I gotta be honest - whenever a team does a pitching change in the middle of the inning (unless it's a starting pitcher finally starting to lose it sometime after the 6th), I really really hope the reliever who comes in gets lit up.

SI

I am really enjoying watching the Astros get destroyed in the early innings and pulling their pitchers early so now not only are they down 2 games to 1 they have a bullpen that is overworked. The negative to pulling your starting pitcher after 1-2 inning is going to show this series. It all began game 1 when they pulled Valdez after 64 pitches(2 2/3 innings) in a tight game.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 10-19-2021 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-19-2021, 02:29 PM   #729
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Bwahahaha

Relievers have had a statistical advantage over starters for some time now. Most bullpens are loaded with guys who throw 95+. And the gap has only recently swung when teams started shortening the length of starters.

In the regular season, starters have to throw more because you're playing 6-7 times a week. But in the postseason where you have days off, going to your bullpen is a big advantage as opposed to sending out your starter for the 5th and 6th inning. Especially if you're playing matchups.
Old 10-19-2021, 03:11 PM   #730
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Relievers have had a statistical advantage over starters for some time now. Most bullpens are loaded with guys who throw 95+. And the gap has only recently swung when teams started shortening the length of starters.

In the regular season, starters have to throw more because you're playing 6-7 times a week. But in the postseason where you have days off, going to your bullpen is a big advantage as opposed to sending out your starter for the 5th and 6th inning. Especially if you're playing matchups.

And as recently as 2019 was only he second time in nearly 70 years that relievers posted a worse ERA than starters. And the starters diminished stats this year (where there's not that much variance) are dragged down by the idiotic "bullpen game" horseshit.
Old 10-19-2021, 04:23 PM   #731
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
And as recently as 2019 was only he second time in nearly 70 years that relievers posted a worse ERA than starters. And the starters diminished stats this year (where there's not that much variance) are dragged down by the idiotic "bullpen game" horseshit.

Leaving them in longer would only make starters' numbers worse in comparison. They've only caught up because teams have eliminated their most ineffective spots.

Like I think it's terrible for baseball but I understand why it's being done and why the top teams are all doing it.
Old 10-19-2021, 05:41 PM   #732
GrantDawg

This game has changed fast.

Old 10-19-2021, 08:06 PM   #733
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
This game has changed fast.

And changed again.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 10-20-2021, 07:33 AM   #734
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

There are certainly no guarantees in baseball, what with momentum only being as good as the next day's starting pitcher (if that's even a thing anymore). But it feels like both series might have turned in an inning last night

SI

Old 10-21-2021, 02:31 PM   #735
Danny
Head Coach

Dodgers had a nice game 3 win, but I just don't see it this year. Braves should be able to close them out and then hopefully they beat either of those AL teams they play
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 02:47 PM   #736
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Feels like America will be rooting hard for the NL team no matter who goes to the Series.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 03:25 PM   #737
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Feels like America will be rooting hard for the NL team no matter who goes to the Series.

I generally agree that Atlanta is the easy rooting favorite. Between the Dodgers and Red Sox? Winners of 2 of the last 3 World Series and basically Yankees West vs Yankees North. Is there really a rooting favorite there?

SI

Old 10-21-2021, 04:37 PM   #738
GrantDawg

Soler was activated off the Covid list, and will be available tonight. Not starting, but I imagine he will get an ab tonight.

Old 10-21-2021, 11:52 PM   #739
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I generally agree that Atlanta is the easy rooting favorite. Between the Dodgers and Red Sox? Winners of 2 of the last 3 World Series and basically Yankees West vs Yankees North. Is there really a rooting favorite there?

SI

Dodgers. The answer is always the Dodgers.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 01:26 AM   #740
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

As a fan of a team that was terrible while the Astros were cheating (and whose team has basically done the same thing in the distant past), I'm on the Astros bandwagon if only for Dusty Baker.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 09:35 AM   #741
Swaggs
Coordinator

It's always tough to know whether to be impressed or disgusted by the Dodgers.

They currently have three former Cy Young winners (Kershaw - $31M, Price - $32M, and Bauer - $40M), that earn more than many teams' entire payroll, that are not even on their active playoff roster. Not to mention Danny Duffy, that makes $15.5M, and hasn't played for them in the regular or post season. Bellinger (who anyone would have agreed to have him on their team before the season) made $16M+ and a negative WAR on the season.

Yet, they are still within a couple games of making the World Series. MLB is kind of broken if a front office can have that many mishaps and mistakes and still have their team win 100+ games and possibly make the World Series.

On the other hand, as a Pirates fan, I've hated the Braves since the early '90s. Although, I have to admit it is pretty tough to not root for Freeman (and I like Charlie Morton).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 10:22 AM   #742
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The Duffy trade was funny in that he never actually pitched for the Dodgers and they just sent a PTBNL back to the Royals yesterday in the trade.

And this isn't like an AJ Preller deal where we know he likes to trade damaged goods. I think most people know Dayton Moore is on the up and up, to a fault, and Duffy was on the DL at the time the Dodgers traded for him. He was expected to be back potentially for September and a playoff run but there was no guarantee there as he had a flexor strain in his throwing arm.

Dodgers Acquire Danny Duffy From Royals - MLB Trade Rumors

He had $5.5M left in salary and would add another $4.5M in luxury tax - so he cost a cool $10M. And the Royals were said to eat some of that. But, like, if you're the Royals - the absolutely maximum you might eat would be $5.5M. If not, just keep him on your team on the DL, right? And I doubt it was even that much if the best player in the PTNBL pool is an old RP prospect.

So the Dodgers took a pretty expensive flier on a decent but not great SP on the DL just because they had the cash to take the risk. That they can do that is less than ideal for competitive balance.

SI

Old 10-22-2021, 09:44 PM   #743
miami_fan
Coordinator

Yeah that was one of those moves that Dusty would have been crushed for making.

Last edited by miami_fan : 10-22-2021 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-23-2021, 07:55 AM   #744
GrantDawg

Scherzer is not able to go tonight. Sounds like his arm is still dead.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:55 AM   #745
PilotMan
Head Coach

Braves fans have to be celebrating. Playing a team as damaged as LA is right now, they might as well hand them the trophy before the game.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 12:55 PM   #746
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Braves fans have to be celebrating. Playing a team as damaged as LA is right now, they might as well hand them the trophy before the game.
Yeah, luckily thw Braves have all of their starters and pitchers available....wait. Acuna, Ozuna, Soroka. It is almost as if everyone has to deal with players being out, not just the Dodgers.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 10-23-2021 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-23-2021, 08:54 PM   #747
GrantDawg

The Braves picked up Rosario for Pablo Sandoval. Your fantasy league wouldn't have allowed that trade to go through.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 10-23-2021 at 10:49 PM.
Old 10-23-2021, 10:59 PM   #748
GrantDawg

The Braves had a rough start to the season, and then Osuna got arrested, Acuna blew out his knee, Soroka tore his Achilles again. The season looked done. Anthony Anthopoulus said "No, we can still win it". He made some masterful trades and put the team the in position to win. Amazing.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 10-23-2021 at 10:59 PM.
Old 10-23-2021, 10:59 PM   #749
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Yeah, luckily thw Braves have all of their starters and pitchers available....wait. Acuna, Ozuna, Soroka. It is almost as if everyone has to deal with players being out, not just the Dodgers.

Ozuna was addition by subtraction this year.
Old 10-25-2021, 02:17 PM   #750
Ksyrup

This seems like it should have been a Jayson Stark tweet: