TCU puts academics over Mobile Bowl

Surprising to say the least.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2003Nov26.html

Quote:
TCU Likely to Pass on Bowl Bid

By Liz Clarke
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, November 27, 2003; Page D03

After captivating college football fans with its quest to become the first mid-major school to compete in a Bowl Championship Series game, Texas Christian may not play in any bowl at all this year because campus officials are putting academics ahead of the postseason offer at hand.

TCU's recent loss to Southern Mississippi not only cost the Horned Frogs a shot at a BCS bowl but also meant they would finish second in Conference USA. That puts them in line to be invited to the GMAC Bowl in Montgomery, Ala., to face Mid-American Conference champion Miami (Ohio) -- an intriguing matchup of two of the best football teams from the mid-major ranks.

But TCU officials have indicated they will decline the bid, which is contractually offered to Conference USA's second-place finisher, because the GMAC Bowl will be played Dec. 18, squarely in the middle of TCU's exams.

"I can't do that," TCU Athletic Director Eric Hyman said. "I have to be sensitive to our young people. They are student-athletes, but they are also students, and they are coming to school to get an education. We cannot disrupt their exams. It's not fair to them."

In passing on the bid, Hyman is passing on a $750,000 payout that would go to his conference, as well as considerable exposure for his school. His unequivocal stance runs counter to the prevailing practice at most NCAA Division I-A schools, where intrusions on the academic calendar are routinely accepted as the cost of doing business.

Hyman said he's hopeful GMAC Bowl officials can find a suitable replacement for TCU among its Conference USA peers and that his decision won't lead to a contractual dispute.

"I understand why they want us," Hyman said of GMAC officials. "But on the flip side, I want them to understand that the priority for us this time of year is success in the classroom and in exams. There are alternatives to us."

It's unclear, however, how GMAC Bowl officials will replace TCU (10-1, 7-1).

Frank Modarelli, the bowl's executive director, referred questions about the matter to the bowl's president, Jerry Silverstein. Silverstein could not be reached to comment last night.

"We've had several conversations, and they're ongoing," Hyman said. "What I'm saying to them is real. It's not a matter of trying to position for something else."

TCU could still end up in one of the bowl games with ties to Conference USA, although no offers have been extended.

The winner of Conference USA (this season, Southern Miss, 8-3, 7-0) is invited to the Liberty Bowl.

The GMAC Bowl is entitled to select the second-place finisher. The Hawaii Bowls get the next choice, followed by the Fort Worth Bowl and the New Orleans Bowl.

Memphis (8-3, 5-3) is currently third in the Conference USA standings. Louisville (8-3, 4-3) is fourth.

Hyman said that the dates of the Hawaii Bowl (Dec. 25) and Fort Worth Bowl (Dec. 23) would not conflict with TCU's exam schedule.

TCU has played in the GMAC Bowl twice before, but in both cases the school held its exams one week earlier. "We have gone down to the GMAC Bowl and had a wonderful experience," Hyman said. "But this is bigger than a bowl game."

Hyman said he raised the possibility of the conflict with conference commissioner Britton Banowsky before the loss to Southern Miss in hopes that a resolution could be reached before a problem arose.

"I said, 'That will cause us problems because that's in the middle of exams. You need to tell them that this would be a possibility,' " Hyman said

edited for accuracy

Last edited by The_herd : 11-26-2003 at 11:21 PM.
The_herd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 11:13 PM   #2
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Its not saying TCU will not go to a bowl, just not to the Moblie Bowl.

Last edited by GoldenEagle : 11-26-2003 at 11:17 PM.
GoldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 11:18 PM   #3
The_herd
College Starter

Its still an interesting stance to take in today's college football world. Its a team that deserves a the best bowl game they can get, but it looks like they may have to settle for a trip to Hawaii.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:20 PM   #4
vex
Grizzled Veteran

"If we can't get the biggest toy we don't even want one!"
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 11:24 PM   #5
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by GoldenEagle
Its not saying TCU will not go to a bowl, just not to the Moblie Bowl.

Who cares about the Mobile Bowl. I'm just waiting for the New Orleans Bowl when UNT gets to beat up on Memphis...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 11:32 PM   #6
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

If TCU goes to the Ft. Worth (which they want to do, this is not about academics) then Memphis will go to the Mobile Bowl. If Memphis does go to the New Orleans bowl, North Texas will get spanked
Old 11-26-2003, 11:33 PM   #7
JeeberD
General Manager

Learn this name. Patrick Cobbs.

You'll see him in your nightmares...

Old 11-26-2003, 11:42 PM   #8
korme
Go Reds

I would see Cobbs in my nightmares only if I was a UNT fan.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 11:48 PM   #9
rhinoruss
n00b

I sure hope TCU plays in the Hawaii Bowl. I will be going!
rhinoruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 12:28 AM   #10
bbor
Pro Starter

Props to this guy for turning down $750 000 for his athletes education.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 12:35 AM   #11
sabotai
General Manager

I've always thought it was odd how Bowls were scheduled in the middle of December, when just about all schools have their exams...
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 12:36 AM   #12
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by bbor
Props to this guy for turning down $750 000 for his athletes education.

I can't help but be skeptical of this and think the AD has other motives.
Old 11-27-2003, 12:41 AM   #13
MrBug708
Head Coach

Indeed. He does get a cash allowance, but if the fans dont travel and sell their allotment, they hafta foot the bill
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 12:44 AM   #14
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Fort Worth Bowl???

Where the hell have I been, in a cave?
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 12:51 AM   #15
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by Senator
Fort Worth Bowl???

Where the hell have I been, in a cave?

You're Osama?

That's gotta make doing your job either very difficult or laughably easy...

Last edited by JeeberD : 11-27-2003 at 12:52 AM.
Old 11-27-2003, 01:05 AM   #16
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by The_herd
I can't help but be skeptical of this and think the AD has other motives.

It's hard to imagine what they could be.

The Hawaii bowl bids are notorious money-losers for universities that travel there, which is why the Pac 10 eagerly pulled up stakes from the old Aloha and Makahineyhineyho Bowls (whatever it was called a few years ago). Nobody travels well to them, and generally speaking the expenses of travelling combined with low sales of tickets mean that athletic departments lose money by taking a Hawaii bowl game. Really, the only argument that can be made for taking one is exposure for the program.
WussGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 01:13 AM   #17
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by WussGawd
Really, the only argument that can be made for taking one is exposure for the program.

That's actually what I was thinking. While he may really want to do this because of the schedule conflict, getting more expose for a "Mid-Major" is also, at the very least, in the back of his mind.
Old 11-27-2003, 02:09 AM   #18
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I applaud this stand. What'd ya know, an AD is looking out for the academics of his program?!
Old 11-27-2003, 02:17 AM   #19
thealmighty
Pro Starter

No matter what the statement, many have the thought that there MUST be something else involved than an academic reason. Whereas I have no knowledge one way or another, that strikes me as pitiful that no matter what is said, it must be about some ulterior motive- money, exposure, etc... That, I suppose, is the times we live in and is sad.

BTW, Ft. Worth is a great place to grow up (as I did), but why the hell would anyone want to go to a bowl game there:

It could be very warm OR very cold.
Amon Carter Stadium is older than I am and not very comfortable.
Where you gonna go to sightsee, the Trinity River (creek)?
Old 11-27-2003, 02:26 AM   #20
JeeberD
General Manager

Don't foget the stockyards. And....ummm...yeah.

Old 11-27-2003, 06:04 AM   #21
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Maybe they think they can get a bigger payday by staying at home. But, really, using academics only really seems to be a valide excuse if they were to decline any bowl bid. That being said, I don't think they would have been to concerned about it if they were heading to the Fiesta or Orange...
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 06:36 AM   #22
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Well no ice, because school is out by that time.

Unless you want to buy that the administration intentionally set up their students exam week a week earlier before the football season since they knew that the Mobile Bowl was that week.

The article says:

TCU has played in the GMAC Bowl twice before, but in both cases the school held its exams one week earlier. "We have gone down to the GMAC Bowl and had a wonderful experience," Hyman said. "But this is bigger than a bowl game."

Hyman said he raised the possibility of the conflict with conference commissioner Britton Banowsky before the loss to Southern Miss in hopes that a resolution could be reached before a problem arose.

"I said, 'That will cause us problems because that's in the middle of exams. You need to tell them that this would be a possibility,' " Hyman said

If it was just about money, why would they decline this bowl for one with a lesser payout?

I do know their student-athlete graduation rate is around 60% far higher than the national average. Selfishly, I of course would love to go to a bowl game. I have saved up for one every season, but Hawaii... yikes! The Boss would never believe it!
Old 11-27-2003, 09:49 AM   #23
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

""I can't do that," TCU Athletic Director Eric Hyman said. "I have to be sensitive to our young people. They are student-athletes, but they are also students, and they are coming to school to get an education. We cannot disrupt their exams. It's not fair to them." "

Bullshit. It's not fair to not let the players play in the game that they've worked all season to get to.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 10:09 AM   #24
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Yeah, I'm not convinced this guy is complete concerned about academics. If that were the case, then why did TCU play FOUR weekday games this season -- Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday games -- all of which I'm sure causes athletes to miss class time. Heck, looking at their schedule, it appears that they played at South Florida on a Friday during mid-terms. Unless they traveled that day, it sounds like somebody may have missed a Thursday midterm.

This sounds like a bluff to get TCU into a better bowl. From all accounts, going to a bowl game is the highlight of a college football player's career. College athletes work around finals all the time -- it's not that a big of deal.

If you want to real cynical, you could say his bluffing only to into the Forth Worth Bowl, which would be a later bowl, less expensive, more profitable, better opponent and a home-crowd advantage. Hawaii doesn't want TCU. That bowl is very dependent on ticket sales and they want a team that will travel well or bring in the other tourist and locals.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 10:11 AM   #25
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

I know what you are saying illini, but you'll never get the diehards to buy that argument.

Just for the record Hyman has a history of doing similar things. Apparently, the women's basketball team had scheduled to go to one of the preseason tournaments a couple of years ago but it was during exam week so they had to cancel their participation. Granted its not the same thing in terms of scope but he has shown a degree of consistancy.
Old 11-27-2003, 10:17 AM   #26
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not convinced this guy is complete concerned about academics. If that were the case, then why did TCU play FOUR weekday games this season -- Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday games -- all of which I'm sure causes athletes to miss class time. Heck, looking at their schedule, it appears that they played at South Florida on a Friday during mid-terms. Unless they traveled that day, it sounds like somebody may have missed a Thursday midterm.

You are talking about two different things here. A bowl game means you are gone a week, its part of the "bowl festivities". When I was there, if I had a midterm for a class of two during game day, I either took it early or when I got back.

In this case you are talking about missing an entire week of exams.
Old 11-27-2003, 10:46 AM   #27
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

I think we as a forum should host a Toilet Bowl Game between Siena and Prarie View A&M. I know it is Div II, but I think that is all we could maybe afford.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 12:38 PM   #28
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It seems this guy is consistently thinking about academics (ie, the women's basketball tourney). Good!! About time someone realized they are STUDENT-atheletes.
Old 11-27-2003, 12:50 PM   #29
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

While I am not going to champion him the AD of justice, I thought I would post a little bio on Eric Hyman:

Prior to joining TCU, Hyman was athletic director at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. During Hyman's tenure, Miami had the fifth-highest graduation rate among all NCAA Division I schools in the country. Miami won ten conference championships during Hyman's final two years at the school. Hyman has served as an executive associate athletics director at North Carolina State University, athletic director at Virginia Military Institute (VMI) and associate athletic director at Furman University. VMI honored Hyman by creating the Bissell-Hyman Award in 1992 to recognize annually the athletic team exhibiting the highest standards of academic, athletic and military performance. Hyman coached football for nine years at Furman University while receiving his master's degree in educational administration from the school. He also coached women's basketball at North Greenville College in South Carolina, taking the team to national rankings of No. 3 and No. 7.

A successful student-athlete at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, Hyman was an all-conference football player who played in three bowl games and appeared on the dean's list. A pre-season All-America and All-South player his senior year, he earned all-conference honors in the Atlantic Coast Conference and was selected to play in the Hula Bowl.

And to show its not from a TCU propaganda site:

http://www.kusports.com/nextad/hyman.html

Now don't you think he might want to play his old school that he was AD at?
Old 11-27-2003, 06:10 PM   #30
Buccaneer
Head Coach

For once, I am on TCU's (and HFP's) side.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 12:14 AM   #31
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by HornedFrog Purple
While I am not going to champion him the AD of justice, I thought I would post a little bio on Eric Hyman:

Prior to joining TCU, Hyman was athletic director at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. During Hyman's tenure, Miami had the fifth-highest graduation rate among all NCAA Division I schools in the country. Miami won ten conference championships during Hyman's final two years at the school. Hyman has served as an executive associate athletics director at North Carolina State University, athletic director at Virginia Military Institute (VMI) and associate athletic director at Furman University. VMI honored Hyman by creating the Bissell-Hyman Award in 1992 to recognize annually the athletic team exhibiting the highest standards of academic, athletic and military performance. Hyman coached football for nine years at Furman University while receiving his master's degree in educational administration from the school. He also coached women's basketball at North Greenville College in South Carolina, taking the team to national rankings of No. 3 and No. 7.

A successful student-athlete at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, Hyman was an all-conference football player who played in three bowl games and appeared on the dean's list. A pre-season All-America and All-South player his senior year, he earned all-conference honors in the Atlantic Coast Conference and was selected to play in the Hula Bowl.

And to show its not from a TCU propaganda site:

http://www.kusports.com/nextad/hyman.html

Now don't you think he might want to play his old school that he was AD at?

You know as well as I do that Graduation rates among athletes don't mean ONE thing.

For instance, if a player transfers to another school and still graduates, he counts as having NOT graduated.

For instance, if a player drops athletics at a school, but still graduates, he counts as having NOT graduated.

For instance, if a player transfers from another school into yours and graduates, he STILL counts as having not graduated.
Old 11-28-2003, 12:24 AM   #32
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

This is true, but even being in the top 1/4 of the NCAA should show you something. Wouldn't you agree? The point being some schools are not just an athlete factory instead of an educational institution. You can do both.

Edit: Also most reports for these kind of things are done in 4 to 6 years cycles to get some kind of relative average to cover the instances you describe.

Last edited by HornedFrog Purple : 11-28-2003 at 12:31 AM.
HornedFrog Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 10:47 AM   #33
JeeberD
General Manager

On the radio this morning it's being said that the Washington Post article is erroneous and that TCU will most likely accept a GMAC Bowl invitation when they recieve it...

Old 11-28-2003, 10:52 AM   #34
The_herd
College Starter

Well, he's not such a good guy after all.
Old 11-28-2003, 12:53 PM   #35
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
On the radio this morning it's being said that the Washington Post article is erroneous and that TCU will most likely accept a GMAC Bowl invitation when they recieve it...

BOOO!
Old 11-28-2003, 03:53 PM   #36
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

I can't believe that nobody has commented on the fact that this AD has accomplished so much and his name is Hyman. HYMAN! Hello?! *bump..bump* Is this thing on?
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 02:51 AM   #37
vex
Grizzled Veteran

lol, I thought about it.
Old 11-29-2003, 03:01 AM   #38
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

As far as I know, nothing has changed. In fact, there was a quote from Coach Gary Patterson about it in the paper yesterday. I threw it away else I would post it. Also there is a video of AD Hyman on ESPN news over at ESPN.com

I am not an insider, but my snooping has gotten that they are considering having them take all exams a week early but that is up to the administration.