Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-06-2021, 05:14 PM   #1801
Edward64
Head Coach

Biden doing okay in wheeling and dealing within Dems. I don't agree that everything in the bill is necessary for the "stimulus" but this is political sausage making 101 so he had to agree to some pork here and there.

I am cautiously optimistic that some GOP moderates can see real evidence Biden is willing to deal (e.g. give out pork for votes) and start playing the game pre-Obama/Trump again.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 06:43 PM   #1802
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Sinema wants to be the Manchin of the West. Who knows it may play in Arizona? Anyways with 50-50 and Manchin and Sinema wanting press, it didn't end up as bad as I feared.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Manchin has the excuse of being in a real red state. When was the last time a Republican won a state wide race in Arizona?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 06:48 PM   #1803
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

2 years ago. Governor Ducey's re-election.

Old 03-06-2021, 07:09 PM   #1804
RainMaker
General Manager

Damn how did he win by so much?
Old 03-06-2021, 07:41 PM   #1805
BYU 14
Coordinator

Because he is a republican version of Sinema. The 30% swath of independent voters here generally lean slightly right and he ran a very moderate campaign, which the lunatics like Kelly Ward and others don't seem to grasp.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 08:27 PM   #1806
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The GOP is back with more bad faith bullshit. The complaint about the stimulus checks going to people in jail falls apart when you learn that the checks are following the same rules as the previous COVID checks, which these same GOPers voted for.
Old 03-06-2021, 11:30 PM   #1807
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
The GOP is back with more bad faith bullshit. The complaint about the stimulus checks going to people in jail falls apart when you learn that the checks are following the same rules as the previous COVID checks, which these same GOPers voted for.

That doesn't make any sense. If you vote for one flawed policy then you shouldn't learn from your mistakes?
Old 03-07-2021, 04:35 AM   #1808
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
That doesn't make any sense. If you vote for one flawed policy then you shouldn't learn from your mistakes?

That's not what this is about.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:19 AM   #1809
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

I don't disagree with your sentiments but I'm assuming the $ is relatively very, very, very small. I'll assume this is some minor pork to get additional votes (played by both parties). So in the big scheme of things, not a big deal.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:35 AM   #1810
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Yes, I'm sure the GOP has a principled objection.

Just like how all of them voted for the CARES act and none of them voted for this bill. They just found their principles.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:49 AM   #1811
Edward64
Head Coach

Yeah baby, found some pork I really like. Not sure if it made it in the final bill though.

As someone thinking about doing semi-early retirement, healthcare insurance until Medicare has been a concern so have been looking into Obamacare stuff. I am not thinking that I would spend more than $85K a year in retirement but was concerned if capital gains, or dependents working (and myriad of other possible factors) and how that would impact calculation for subsidies.

With this proposal, it takes all that uncertainty away.

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-11-2021 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-07-2021, 08:02 AM   #1812
Edward64
Head Coach

Good news for the economy (so far) with more jobs.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/05/econo...ort/index.html
Quote:
The US economy added 379,000 jobs last month, far more than economists had expected, signaling the labor market recovery is finally gaining steam.

The January numbers were also revised sharply higher to 166,000 added jobs versus 49,000 initially reported.

The leisure and hospitality industry added the most jobs in February with 355,000 new positions as some restrictions to stop the spread of Covid-19 were rolled back. The sector is still recovering from a rough winter, adding back positions that were lost rather than creating new jobs.

The unemployment rate — which only counts people who are actively seeking jobs and not those who have dropped out of the workforce entirely — inched down to 6.2% from 6.3% in January. It was forecast to stay flat.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:44 PM   #1813
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

That is nice about the ACA. We are dancing with that line right now. Removing the cap is super helpful, especially since I don't know how long my son will be in our insurance.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by GrantDawg : 03-07-2021 at 04:44 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 06:14 PM   #1814
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
That is nice about the ACA. We are dancing with that line right now. Removing the cap is super helpful, especially since I don't know how long my son will be in our insurance.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Supposed to cost $34B over 2 years. That's significant enough where honestly, I feel the money is better spent somewhere else e.g. help subsidize vaccines for rest of world (but be sure we get credit & good press for it).

But if I'm a pawn in a bigger 3D chess move to beef up Obamacare & ensure it survives/expands, I'll happily take the pork for the larger good.
Old 03-07-2021, 06:50 PM   #1815
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Generally speaking when everyone has stake in a program they'll fight for it more. Social Security is a 3rd rail of US politics because it isn't just for the poor, but it benefits everyone.

And having subsidies to limit your out of pocket expense to a certain percentage of income helps middle class families quite a bit.

Old 03-09-2021, 08:21 AM   #1816
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Amazing how one woman of color can make the US conservative movement into monarchists.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:13 AM   #1817
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Amazing how one woman of color can make the US conservative movement into monarchists.

What crazier? Conservative embrace of Russia or conservative embrace of monarchy?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:44 PM   #1818
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:

It's so weird.

3 days ago, the British Monarchy was not a red/blue thing in America. If anything, being pro-monarch was probably a slight liberal thing.

But someone accuses them of being racist, and the right wing MOBILIZES to identify with them. Like some Avengers Assemble kind of shit.

Conservative relatives I have on Facebook who probably couldn't pick any of the Royals out of a lineup were suddenly all about how Harry and Megan were spoiled brats who were bringing about the end of Western Civilization. And fuck that Oprah for being all rich and spoiled, too.

It was WEIRD.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:47 PM   #1819
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 12:57 PM   #1820
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Let's face it, in 2021 this is what politics now is. Not just in the US either, although we do seem to have gone off the deep end more than most.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:04 PM   #1821
lungs
Pro Rookie

Has the Biden dog bite scandal gained wall to wall coverage on Newsmax yet?
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 03:09 PM   #1822
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

COVID Bill is at, like, 70% popularity. That's low-key amazing in this polarized time.

Will be interesting to see if the GOP continues to try to demonize it a'la Obamacare or if they decide to just change the subject.

It feels like the best play here may be to just not talk about it.
Old 03-09-2021, 03:15 PM   #1823
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
COVID Bill is at, like, 70% popularity. That's low-key amazing in this polarized time.

Will be interesting to see if the GOP continues to try to demonize it a'la Obamacare or if they decide to just change the subject.

It feels like the best play here may be to just not talk about it.

Especially when the country doesn't give a shit about fiscal responsibility.
Old 03-09-2021, 04:10 PM   #1824
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Latest Pew poll was showing that 55% thought the Republicans were not making a good faith effort to work with the administration (42% said they are), while 57% said the Administration was making a good faith effort to work with Republicans (only 40% said they were not).

GOP has made a bad political calculation going all super anti-Covid bill.

Old 03-09-2021, 04:50 PM   #1825
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Latest Pew poll was showing that 55% thought the Republicans were not making a good faith effort to work with the administration (42% said they are), while 57% said the Administration was making a good faith effort to work with Republicans (only 40% said they were not).

GOP has made a bad political calculation going all super anti-Covid bill.

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out in '22 if it continues. McConnell's strategy has been to prevent a dem from achieving what they ran on. For Obama it was change, so they tried to block all legislation. For Biden it was working with the GOP and that's obviously what they've been attacking. So far the public isn't buying it though.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 04:58 PM   #1826
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

The GOP will fund every piece of spending that could be unpopular and highlight it like it was a crime. The deal is popular now, but the long term bet by the GOP is they can rebrand it as a huge Democrat spending spree. After the stimulus checks are gone, don't underestimate how affective that might be.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:14 PM   #1827
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I agree with GrantDawg. They know that being for something like this can't help them with their base in the long run. If public opinion turns later it's a plus for them. If it doesn't they are screwed anyway. It's cynical, but it's not necessarily - though it may end up being - bad politics. I don't think we know yet how this era will be viewed a year, two years, five years after whatever passes for 'normal' arrives.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:17 PM   #1828
PilotMan
Head Coach

I mean, they did blame Obama (nonstop) for TARP and the bailout that Bush2 approved before he left.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:33 PM   #1829
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

It’s cynical, but it’s also why the GOP has opposed COVID mitigation measures over the last year. The “we’re all in this together” mentality would destroy their brand if enough people realized it worked.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:38 PM   #1830
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
It’s cynical, but it’s also why the GOP has opposed COVID mitigation measures over the last year. The “we’re all in this together” mentality would destroy their brand if enough people realized it worked.

I'm not sure that it is so simple.

I live in Ohio and Republican governor DeWine has supported a lot of mitigation measures.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:41 PM   #1831
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Good point. Not all Republicans.

I’m hopeful that the good ones can somehow still have a say in the party.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:21 PM   #1832
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm not sure that it is so simple.

I live in Ohio and Republican governor DeWine has supported a lot of mitigation measures.

But the rest of the party tried to impeach him.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:26 PM   #1833
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
But the rest of the party tried to impeach him.

A couple lawmakers is hardly "the rest of the party"
Old 03-09-2021, 08:51 PM   #1834
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

I mean, that's what the conservative movement has basically always BEEN. Not necessarily "give us a king" explicitly, but statist, in the sense of "do what we have to to ensure that our vision and our rule are what prevail."

The secessionist movement in the 19th century wasn't about freedom, no matter how the revisionists try to paint it. It was about the preservation of slavery as an institution. After the Civil War, after Reconstruction, the conservative voices in the South were explicit about pursuing the supremacy of the white race over the freed blacks, and policy pursuits in Southern states for the last 150 years have been about finding ways to do that.

They may not be about having a particular person as figurehead (Trump notwithstanding) but it isn't China or North Korea's form of government the American conservative movement hates. It's who's leading those governments.

Neither one is all that different from what you see in the American South when you come right down to it.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 01:49 PM   #1835
Thomkal
Head Coach

COVID-19 Relief Bill passes Congress-1 Dem voted no today, no Rep voted yes. President Biden set to sign on Friday, which is when I get my first vaccine shot
Old 03-10-2021, 02:24 PM   #1836
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
A couple lawmakers is hardly "the rest of the party"

I grew up in Ohio and the number of rank and file GOPers supporting impeachment was/is pretty high. It was far more than two.
Old 03-10-2021, 02:32 PM   #1837
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
COVID-19 Relief Bill passes Congress-1 Dem voted no today, no Rep voted yes. President Biden set to sign on Friday, which is when I get my first vaccine shot

wHy WoNt ThE DeMs WoRk WiTh ThE RiGhT!?!?!?!
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 03:35 PM   #1838
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

One could say almost equally, 'Why are the Dems just marching in lockstep?' with only one vote against?
Old 03-10-2021, 03:44 PM   #1839
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

If the GOP would have passed something similar last Fall they'd still be running things.
Old 03-10-2021, 04:29 PM   #1840
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
If the GOP would have passed something similar last Fall they'd still be running things.

Yeah if Trump had shown any real competence with handling the pandemic, and gotten the Republicans behind him on it, he likely would have won re-election.
Old 03-10-2021, 04:41 PM   #1841
BYU 14
Coordinator

don't know where else to put this, but out running errands today a trunk passed me going the other way with a "Fuck Biden" flag on it.

1-People are so childish

2-Guess this is the Trump merchandise money train until he announces a 2024 run
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 07:18 PM   #1842
Thomkal
Head Coach

Merrick Garland is your new Attorney General. Maybe a bit surprising is that Mitch McConnell voted to confirm. His way of apologizing for locking him out of the Supreme Court?
Old 03-10-2021, 07:24 PM   #1843
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah if Trump had shown any real competence with handling the pandemic, and gotten the Republicans behind him on it, he likely would have won re-election.

I'd change it to "shown, consistently, as if he cared, believe this was serious, was trying with actions and words".

There were times when he showed he "cared" and said it was "serious" and "tried" but they were overwhelmed by his inconsistency where he contradicted himself on those points.

(And if he had won, it would not have been pretty in this forum).
Old 03-10-2021, 07:30 PM   #1844
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Merrick Garland is your new Attorney General. Maybe a bit surprising is that Mitch McConnell voted to confirm. His way of apologizing for locking him out of the Supreme Court?

I think Merrick Garland was probably the most conservative person that could've been nominated by Biden. He's not exactly a liberal firebrand.
Old 03-10-2021, 07:55 PM   #1845
kingfc22
Head Coach

So the GOP votes against giving $1400 to Americans who need it and then go on to propose removing the Estate Tax which only applies to those with wealth in excess of $11m.

The party of the working class!
Old 03-10-2021, 08:02 PM   #1846
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
So the GOP votes against giving $1400 to Americans who need it and then go on to propose removing the Estate Tax which only applies to those with wealth in excess of $11m.

The party of the working class!

Which idiot proposed removing the Estate Tax?
Old 03-10-2021, 08:10 PM   #1847
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64
I'd change it to "shown, consistently, as if he cared, believe this was serious, was trying with actions and words".

I don't think he would have won anyway if he did that. It's unknowable of course, but it underestimates the amount of people who supported him because he took the approach he did IMO. Most of those who voted Biden because of the pandemic issue weren't going to vote Trump anyway.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 03-10-2021 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-10-2021, 08:19 PM   #1848
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I don't think he would have won anyway if he did that. It's unknowable of course, but it underestimates the amount of people who supported him because he took the approach he did IMO. Most of those who voted Biden because of the pandemic issue weren't going to vote Trump anyway.

I'm thinking he had a hardcore 38-42% and he exceeded that with 47% so let's say he exceeded expectations by +5%. I'm thinking he would have gotten more of those "hidden" voters with some more middle ground.

But you are right, won't ever know for sure.
Old 03-10-2021, 08:25 PM   #1849
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
I think Merrick Garland was probably the most conservative person that could've been nominated by Biden. He's not exactly a liberal firebrand.

Which was one reason Obama nominated him to the Supreme Court
Old 03-10-2021, 08:26 PM   #1850
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

There were times when he showed he "cared" and said it was "serious" and "tried" but they were overwhelmed by his inconsistency where he contradicted himself on those points.

(And if he had won, it would not have been pretty in this forum).

You might have been one of the few still posting in the Trump thread.