Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-29-2020, 03:50 PM   #551
bhlloy
Coordinator

The obvious counterpoint to that is he doesn't play well enough to beat him out or Dalton turns into 2019 Ryan Tannehill (unlikely, but stranger things have happened) - and now you've got the #1 pick who not only didn't earn the job but clearly has failed to earn the job and a massive controversy hanging over the franchise.

I think just making the clean break is the way to go, although no training camp/minicamps is going to make it really hard to start a rookie from day 1 this year.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:04 PM   #552
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Agreed, not only that, but if Joe competes and beats Dalton and starts say mid-year, there is a lot more cohesion down the road than if he is just awarded the job.

I don't know about that. If the team is terrible the question will be, why not sooner? If the team is good the question will be, why now? And either way, without game results it's impossible to show who is better.

I think the Bengals would have loved to get rid of Dalton and remove any hint of controversy, but nobody wanted him at a price the Bengals would agree to. They may still cut him, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's on the team next season. The team is doing some things differently, but the history of Mike Brown is that he doesn't like to spend money to get rid of players.
Old 04-29-2020, 04:38 PM   #553
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
But is there, though? Looking at anecdotes doesn't prove anything.

I think the real issues are whether or not you draft a QB capable of being an above-average starter and surround him with talented players of the offense. I'm open to the idea that QBs can improve without playing, but the contention that this happens regularly enough to be the best manner of development acks any supporting data.
It's kind of like everyone not in the room raise your hand. It's a hard thing to prove without the alternative. But it seems like many of the best QBs have sat atleast one year going back to 2000: Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Mahomes, Palmer, Warner, Rivers and Romo. But you also have Peyton, Wilson, Ryan, Dak, Ben, Luck and Cam who played right out of the gate. You also have guys like Eli and Watson who played partial seasons so it's hard to tell. You also have the RGIII/Cousins parallel where RGIII played great his first year but got pretty beat up and flamed out. Meanwhile Cousins sat with Shanahan and LaFleur for two years and has had a pretty nice career.

It would make sense that waiting helps you avoid getting killed if you have a bad team and can help you adapt to the NFL a little better. Taking a while to read a defense probably isn't great for your health as a rookie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
In the specific case of the Packers, I've already been clear that I think using a pick on a QB rather than maximizing the talent around a HOF QB is a mistake.
That may very well be. But with no real offseason and a limited camp, what are the odds a WR or OT taken in the 20s has a big impact this year? Seems unlikely. Even for a normal year, getting that next good starting QB seems a lot more valuable than a slot WR or starting MLB. And with 1st rounders being a coin flip, I would atleast take one (if not two) shots on a future starting QB in the final 4-5 of my good starter. The upside of hitting is so enormous and it is really long odds to find a good starter after pick 32.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
This also kinda seems to beg the question of whether there's a QB believed to be any better available 2-3 years out than whatever will fall from the sky when you "have" to draft one.
But having the choice for 3-4 straight years would appear to give you better odds than just being forced to do it on one season. Plus, we get back to the idea of getting to groom the player until he shows he is ready to play (instead of throwing him to the wolves his rookie season).

Quote:
Also, is the potential turmoil created by drafting one (see Packers, Green Bay) worth whatever undefined benefits having them around early provides. Their presence doesn't take place in a vacuum, there are non-financial costs associated with those moves.
This is probably the best reason not to. You do create turmoil by doing this. But, if you are a good organization and confident in your job, you can get by it. Brady won after getting Jimmy. Favre nearly made the Super Bowl after Rodgers. The Chiefs trading up for Mahomes after Alex Smith had a pro-bowl season. I'm sure the current players/starter would have preferred a better player with the pick in each of those spots.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:14 PM   #554
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Plus, we get back to the idea of getting to groom the player until he shows he is ready to play (instead of throwing him to the wolves his rookie season).

Which is probably the part that I don't necessarily buy into having much value when you get right down to it.

This article is from 2017 but there's 46 QBs that will be familiar to all of us, listing the number of games into their career where there first start came.

Most of the betters ones with sizable experience holding clipboards were blocked and many seem fair bets to have had the same basic career arc regardless while no amount of experience really seemed to help the ones that were destined for mediocrity or worse.
Old 04-30-2020, 10:33 AM   #555
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Looks like the Dalton/Bengal divorce is official.
Old 04-30-2020, 12:29 PM   #556
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Which is probably the part that I don't necessarily buy into having much value when you get right down to it.

This article is from 2017 but there's 46 QBs that will be familiar to all of us, listing the number of games into their career where there first start came.

Most of the betters ones with sizable experience holding clipboards were blocked and many seem fair bets to have had the same basic career arc regardless while no amount of experience really seemed to help the ones that were destined for mediocrity or worse.
That story isn't completely fair. Saying a guy like Cousins started in his 14th game makes the impression that he was a starter from then on. Cousins started one game (#14) his rookie season, just three in his second season and then five in his third. If you look at these 46, it seems pretty clear that the new normal is to draft a QB in the first round and play him by midseason his rookie year. The only real starting level guy who had to wait more than that in the past 10 years are Mahomes, Goff and Lamar Jackson. The other 23 first round QBs have all started significant games in year 1.

So, the point is it used to work well (Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Palmer, Rivers) - but teams just stopped doing that in 2010. Any QB you drafted in round 1 was immediately named a starter and thrown into the fire (regardless of readiness). Do we know that waiting helped Mahomes, Goff and Lamar? We can't prove it, but it is interesting that those are the only three who had to wait and all seem to be on the path for a good career. I just think there's so much pressure from the fan base to get their new high pick on the field that teams just don't have the patience to develop QBs anymore. And my questions was if that was really the best way?
Old 04-30-2020, 12:45 PM   #557
QuikSand
lolzcat

And for Goff's case as a rookie, don't forget that the "plan" to sit him in retrospect doesn't match up with the vibe at the time, which was very clearly that he had no idea what he was doing in camp and practice, and was far away from playing. His case was different from Mahomes and Jackson, where the team was essentially okay with their veteran starter but planning longer term with the selection.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 12:54 PM   #558
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I guess I have at least two questions,

How much can NFL players improve once they enter the league?

How much of that improvement is dependent upon playing time?

I know the answers are going to vary from player to player, but there should be a way to get some data tht at least suggests whether player improvement benefits from not playing for some period of time.

edit: This is when I wish I were more of a sats guy and could figure out some way to study these questions.

Last edited by JPhillips : 04-30-2020 at 12:55 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 02:20 PM   #559
sabotai
General Manager

There would be a few variables you would need to account for. For one, Arles brought up that Kirk Cousins sat for most of his first three years, but he was sitting behind another rookie (RGIII).

So I guess you would need to look at

QBs that took over the starting job in his rookie year
QBs that sat behind veteran QBs
QBs that sat or mostly sat behind other non-veteran QBs

Since part of the main argument for sitting a rookie is to sit him behind a veteran, Kirk Cousin wouldn't really count, right? And what about Philip Rivers? Drew Brees was still on his rookie contract when he was drafted. Does Rivers sitting behind Brees, who had only been in the league 3 years (started 2), really count?

So by whittling it down to just QBs that started right away vs. QBs that sat behind aged veterans...the sample size is getting pretty small. And you can make all kinds of arguments for why this QB counts or this one doesn't, and just taking 1 out or putting 1 in skews the results significantly.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 02:47 PM   #560
Arles
Grey Dog Software

One thing with Cousins is while he was behind RGIII, here were the people on the 2012 Redskins coaching staff:
Mike Shanahan
Kyle Shanahan
Matt LaFleur
Sean McVay

That may have been one of the more "QB guru" loaded groups assembled in the past 20 years. So, you have to think sitting with those guys for 2-3 seasons really helped Cousins develop. I think it's more the coaching staff than the veteran QB that helps player improvement. I know for Aaron, people attribute him working with Mike McCarthy, Joe Philbin, Ben McAdoo and Tom Clements much more than any great mentoring from Favre.

Last edited by Arles : 04-30-2020 at 02:47 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 03:00 PM   #561
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
One thing with Cousins is while he was behind RGIII, here were the people on the 2012 Redskins coaching staff:
Mike Shanahan
Kyle Shanahan
Matt LaFleur
Sean McVay

That may have been one of the more "QB guru" loaded groups assembled in the past 20 years. So, you have to think sitting with those guys for 2-3 seasons really helped Cousins develop. I think it's more the coaching staff than the veteran QB that helps player improvement. I know for Aaron, people attribute him working with Mike McCarthy, Joe Philbin, Ben McAdoo and Tom Clements much more than any great mentoring from Favre.

Didn't Favre pretty much tell him to fuck off?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 03:27 PM   #562
bhlloy
Coordinator

The "only talking about first rounders" feels like a bit of a cherry pick to me as well. Love is closer or as close to Geno Smith, Christian Hackenburg and DeShone Kizer than he is to Goff in terms of draft position. No matter how you slice it, it's an incredibly small sample size with caveats left and right in terms of situation, I don't know how you can draw any conclusion.
Old 04-30-2020, 03:35 PM   #563
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Initially, McCarthy was the one who really worked with him. I think that is one of the reasons Green Bay was OK moving on. It may be a little like LaFleur and Love. I think it would have been tough for Mike Sherman to go with Rodgers over Favre. Just like it would have been tough for McCarthy to go with Love over Rodgers in three seasons (if it was needed).
Old 04-30-2020, 03:37 PM   #564
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
The "only talking about first rounders" feels like a bit of a cherry pick to me as well. Love is closer or as close to Geno Smith, Christian Hackenburg and DeShone Kizer than he is to Goff in terms of draft position. No matter how you slice it, it's an incredibly small sample size with caveats left and right in terms of situation, I don't know how you can draw any conclusion.
Yeah, the reason I brought up "first round pick" is you get a 4-year contract with a 5th year option. That makes the "wait and develop" strategy a little more feasible than say a 3rd round pick who expires in 3 years.
Old 05-01-2020, 05:27 AM   #565
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Holy fuck, don’t watch any snippet from that Alex Smith E60. Even rebuilt his leg looks like he got attacked by a shark or stepped on a landmine.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 01:10 PM   #566
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Didn't Favre pretty much tell him to fuck off?

Speaking of Favre...

He had something to say about the Love pick

Brett Favre says he thinks Aaron Rodgers won't finish career with Packers

They might need Love(Literally and Figuratively) sooner than expected.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 05-01-2020 at 01:13 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 02:09 PM   #567
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Aaron has no options in the next 2 years. It is literally impossible for Green Bay to cut or trade him. The Packers and Aaron are stuck together through 2022. All this is moot
Old 05-01-2020, 02:36 PM   #568
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Aaron has no options in the next 2 years. It is literally impossible for Green Bay to cut or trade him. The Packers and Aaron are stuck together through 2022. All this is moot

Quite likely. I think I read 2021 it might be possible to move him.

In any case, get that new game done so I can quit bugging you about Love and the Packers.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 02:42 PM   #569
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Jordan Love was originally named Michael Jordan Love lol
Old 05-01-2020, 03:00 PM   #570
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Quite likely. I think I read 2021 it might be possible to move him.

In any case, get that new game done so I can quit bugging you about Love and the Packers.

This year, his cap hit is $21.6m and his dead cap hit would be $51.1m. So, yeah, he's not going anywhere in 2020.

In 2021, his cap hit is $36.3m and his dead cap would be $31.5m, and depending on when they move him, that can be separated over 2 seasons (2021 and 2022). If they wait until after 6/1/2021, the dead cap money would be split like this:

2021 Dead Cap: $14,352,000
2022 Dead Cap: $17,204,000
2021 Cap Savings: $22,000,000

According to this anyway: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-ba...-rodgers-3745/
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 03:21 PM   #571
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'm not saying any of you are wrong, but moving on from Rodgers as quickly as possible seems nuts to me. What are the odds that Love is better than Rodgers in 2021?
Old 05-01-2020, 03:48 PM   #572
bhlloy
Coordinator

That’s not taking into account how much the Rodgers - LaFleur/front office relationship has broken down by then though. There zero chance Love is better than him, but if Rodgers demands out that’s a moot point.
Old 05-01-2020, 03:59 PM   #573
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Most of the reasonable people talking about this (not talking about the click-bait interviews that never involve talking to Rodgers) are saying that it seems likely that Rodgers starts in 2020-2022 barring injury. Then, in the offseason after 2022, the team will see where both QBs will be. Rodgers will be 39 and Love will have three years in the system. Rodgers would be going into his final year of his contract and if he were cut, it save the team $26 mil ($2.8 mil in dead money).

Everyone acts like Rodgers will be all crabby with Love as a mentor, I just don't see it. Not only did he site behind Favre without throwing a fit for 3 years, but the year he was "supposed" to start - they team drafted Brian Brohm in the 2nd to compete with him. Every interview with Brohm was about how cool Rodgers was to him and how he helped him learn the system. Even guys like Flynn and Hundley later all raved about Rodgers as a mentor.

Let's be honest, Love isn't close to polished enough to push Aaron in 2020 or 2021 (esp with the limited offseason). So, it wouldn't surprise me if Aaron was cool with him and helped him like he did Brohm, Flynn and Hundley. In his mind, he will probably still be better than Love in his 40s - so I doubt he's threatened. If he was ever going to be a dick to another QB, it would have been after he waited 3 years behind a crabby Favre and then saw the team use a 2nd round pick on his competition. And, he just wasn't.

As to LaFleur, I'm not sure there's a ton of animosity there. LaFleur isn't the GM, Gutekunst is. Plus, LaFleur completely changed the offense he wanted to run to suit Rodgers. I just think he isn't as attached to Rodgers as McCarthy was. It seems a lot like when McCarthy came in after Mike Sherman. McCarthy helped mentor Rodgers and there were stories he wanted to run Favre out - but that wasn't true. He was just more open to switching to him than Sherman ever would have been. LaFleur would probably be more open to moving on from an older Rodgers than McCarthy - but that doesn't mean he wants to run him out. He still wants to win and that isn't happening with Love in 2020 or 2021.

Last edited by Arles : 05-01-2020 at 04:05 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 07:33 PM   #574
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Holy fuck, don’t watch any snippet from that Alex Smith E60. Even rebuilt his leg looks like he got attacked by a shark or stepped on a landmine.

Twitter just provided me with WAY more still photos of his leg than I ever needed to see.

The necrotic leg a few days after the injury and then the surgical pic of what they had to remove to try to save the leg, both are pretty much killing my desire to eat dinner tonight.
Old 05-02-2020, 04:13 PM   #575
Atocep
Coordinator

The Bears decline Trubisky's 5th year option.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 05:02 PM   #576
bhlloy
Coordinator

Oof... 25 million for the option year? I had no idea draft picks were paid that much, even inside the first couple of picks. No brainer for the Bears... outside of the miniscule chance he looks great this year they can absolutely do better for that kind of coin.
Old 05-02-2020, 06:17 PM   #577
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I love option decline day. Just 3 years ago we were hearing about how all these guys were excellent system fits and franchise building blocks.

Last edited by stevew : 05-02-2020 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-03-2020, 04:44 AM   #578
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
I love option decline day. Just 3 years ago we were hearing about how all these guys were excellent system fits and franchise building blocks.

Which puts this year’s “can’t miss” top 5, possibly all the way down to 8 by reports, into a little perspective
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:47 AM   #579
RendeR
Coordinator

No-one talking about Dalton to Dallas?

huh.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 12:12 PM   #580
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
That’s not taking into account how much the Rodgers - LaFleur/front office relationship has broken down by then though. There zero chance Love is better than him, but if Rodgers demands out that’s a moot point.

Not sure how you can say there is no way after watching what Maholmes has done. Rodgers will be what, 37-38 in 2021 and Love wold have had a season to sit behind him and learn.

You also can't underestimate the value of having a good QB on a rookie contract. It allows you to fill in multiple positions, although Green Bay hasn't been very good with free agents historically but I think thats more on the previous regime.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 12:43 PM   #581
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
No-one talking about Dalton to Dallas?

Eh, I suspect he was easy to convince cause of the whole living in Dallas, doesn't have to move during the uncertainty, etc etc.

I figure the only way he sees the field is if something happens to Dak.
Old 05-03-2020, 12:46 PM   #582
Thomkal
Head Coach

Not where I was expecting him to go (NE maybe?), but makes sense for him given where he lives and Cowboys needing a quality backup/starter
Old 05-03-2020, 02:09 PM   #583
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Which puts this year’s “can’t miss” top 5, possibly all the way down to 8 by reports, into a little perspective

I think they said picks 2-7 all had their options declined this year.

I don’t get declining Trashbisky though. You pick it up, hold a camp battle. If he beats Foles by a ton, 25m is a reasonable price for one year. If Foles out plays him, you just send him off to never never land like RG3 and don’t play him all season. That way he doesn’t get hurt and won’t activate the guarantee.

Now if he comes out all aces this year, you have to franchise tag him for more than the tender amount or do a panic extension in week 10 if say he’s 3rd in the league in QBR or something. Likely won’t happen, but sometimes it takes 3-4 years to get guys clicking.
Old 05-03-2020, 02:11 PM   #584
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dalton isn’t awesome but with those offensive weapons and line I’m not sure he’s that dissimilar to dak

Last edited by stevew : 05-03-2020 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-03-2020, 04:14 PM   #585
cuervo72
Head Coach

Dallas brings in a red-headed QB to hold a clipboard?

Ladies and gentlemen, say hello to the next Head Coach of the Cowboys!
Old 05-03-2020, 04:33 PM   #586
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Dalton to the Cowboys makes sense.

Like Bridgewater to the Saints last season.

If you are a team with SB aspirations, then you should have a backup QB who can keep you competitive if your starter is out for a month.

And if he looks good doing it? Then another team will sign him, and you'll get a nice comp pick for it.
Old 05-07-2020, 12:03 AM   #587
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Wow Earl Smith’s wife don’t play around. Dude could have been shot in the head
Old 05-07-2020, 12:24 AM   #588
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
I think they said picks 2-7 all had their options declined this year.

I don’t get declining Trashbisky though. You pick it up, hold a camp battle. If he beats Foles by a ton, 25m is a reasonable price for one year. If Foles out plays him, you just send him off to never never land like RG3 and don’t play him all season. That way he doesn’t get hurt and won’t activate the guarantee.

Now if he comes out all aces this year, you have to franchise tag him for more than the tender amount or do a panic extension in week 10 if say he’s 3rd in the league in QBR or something. Likely won’t happen, but sometimes it takes 3-4 years to get guys clicking.

I think Nagy knows enough where he is pretty confident hes not the guy. I actually think this is smart. Dont hold the franchise back sticking with s guy you know just doesnt have it
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 05:46 AM   #589
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Wow Earl /Thomas/’s wife don’t play around. Dude could have been shot in the head

The coverage as he did his "get ahead of it" video was weird, locally. Ravens after the Ray Rice incident have been very aggressive on their image regarding domestic violence, which this situation seemingly shaped up to be (and was widely assumed to be, based on the oblique wording in his own video), until the details came out via TMZ that she was the one threatening him.

It had already come out that the Ravens would release Thomas. No clue what happens from here, though.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:21 AM   #590
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Hmmm, so wives frown on husbands and their brothers double-teaming a chick? Good to know. WTF Earl. Dumb ass longhorns. Play the bongos with mcconaughey when its horny time or something
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:52 AM   #591
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

You know, if Earl had just been engaged in proper social distancing like the rest of us, none of this would have happened.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 02:34 PM   #592
molson
General Manager

molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 02:52 PM   #593
thesloppy
Pro Starter

^ ha!
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 02:57 PM   #594
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I don't think I could bang a chick with my brother.

Could you?

Should there be a poll?
Old 05-07-2020, 03:37 PM   #595
miami_fan
Coordinator

Now this is the locker room talk I am hear for!

EDIT: Until that point when someone takes the joke a bit too far and then we get a thousand think pieces.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 05-07-2020 at 03:41 PM.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 04:38 PM   #596
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I don't think I could bang a chick with my brother.

Could you?

Should there be a poll?

I have three brothers, and that's a hard no for all three.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:39 AM   #597
bob
College Starter

If the NFL season doesn't happen, do the players get paid? I haven't seen anything about that.

Also, any schedule talk?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 09:45 AM   #598
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
If the NFL season doesn't happen, do the players get paid? I haven't seen anything about that.

Also, any schedule talk?

The schedule was released last night. The season will happen, even if it's in empty stadiums.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:55 AM   #599
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post
The schedule was released last night. The season will happen, even if it's in empty stadiums.

The NFL makes so much money off the TV contracts that they will (IMO) play no matter what. They would take a hell of a hit if they can't sell tickets, but I think that they could survive.

Also, aren't most teams 100% season tickets? The teams already have the ticket money. Even if it isn't really safe to pack 70,000 people together, couldn't they just do it anyway, and if half the stadium is empty, they've still got the money.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:57 AM   #600
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola to get away from COVID talk:

This might be the year that I get rid of Sunday Ticket. The two Saints/Panthers games will be televised here. And then the Saints have so many primetime and late window games that they will be on regular TV more often than not.

Not sure if it is worth $300+ for the few games that I wouldn't be able to see otherwise.