Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-23-2020, 05:49 PM   #851
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

lots of weird and negative stories about Earl Thomas over the last few years.

I hope I am wrong about this, but it sure seems like there could be some CTE-influenced behavior changes going on there.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 05:50 PM   #852
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Dola: The ravens could not get rid of him fast enough. They were just waiting for an excuse to do it. You don’t do that with a player who simply had a fight at practice. There’s a lot going on there :-(
Old 08-23-2020, 06:13 PM   #853
thesloppy
Pro Starter

It does seem strange how quickly and aggressively they seemingly wanted to move on from him. What are the weird stories you've heard?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 06:32 PM   #854
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

NFL's Earl Thomas Held At Gunpoint By Wife In Violent Standoff, Cops Say
Old 08-23-2020, 06:37 PM   #855
bhlloy
Coordinator

The more team related ones seem to be missing/being late to meetings, multiple altercations with teammates and not really wanting to play in the scheme or put in the work to pick it up - it would be ironic after the way he left Seattle if that turns out to be the only scheme he really wants to play in (where he really just had the freedom to play center field in almost every set).

With that being said the Cowboys will pick him up, pay him and design a defense around him because they never met a talented headcase they didn't like.

Last edited by bhlloy : 08-23-2020 at 06:37 PM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 06:41 PM   #856
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
lots of weird and negative stories about Earl Thomas over the last few years.

I hope I am wrong about this, but it sure seems like there could be some CTE-influenced behavior changes going on there.

Or maybe he just starting believing his own hype / the hype about him.
I mean, that's not exactly unheard of with professional athletes.
Old 08-23-2020, 06:58 PM   #857
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Oh riiiiiight, he got caught in bed with another woman and his brother! That's nasty.

Last edited by thesloppy : 08-23-2020 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-24-2020, 01:26 PM   #858
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

77 of 77 tests turn out to be false positives? Da fuq?

All of NFL's positive coronavirus tests from the weekend return negative

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-24-2020 at 01:26 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 03:30 PM   #859
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I saw that developing yesterday. Yay nobody has covid, but boo your entire testing system is seemingly suspect weeks before the season starts?

This news popped into my orbit cuz their were Lions on the list....and they had already gone through a false positive shuffle with Matt Stafford. Confidences running loooow.
Old 08-24-2020, 03:33 PM   #860
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I saw that developing yesterday. Yay nobody has covid, but boo your entire testing system is seemingly suspect weeks before the season starts?

I only saw it cause a political site tweeted about it
Old 08-24-2020, 03:41 PM   #861
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I think I saw that all of the false positives came from one lab.

That's going to happen. It sounds like they identified it and fixed it quickly.

I was very critical of the way that the NFL was handling COVID. But, so far, they seem to be doing pretty well.
Old 08-24-2020, 05:36 PM   #862
AlexB
Pro Starter

Can somebody help me understand why Miami chose to waive Curtis Weaver instead of outting him on IR?

The reports read that if he clears waivers Miami will put him on IR and he’ll collect his rookie salary, but there is a small chance someone else will pick him up and do the same.

There must be an advantage to the Dolphins doing this instead of just putting him straight to IR without waiving him, but I’m oblivious TBH...
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 05:58 PM   #863
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The league rules state a non-vested (inexperienced) player must pass through waivers before going to injured reserve if he’s injured in the preseason. This rule is designed to prevent teams from stashing young players.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 05:58 PM   #864
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Found that in an article.
Old 08-24-2020, 07:55 PM   #865
QuikSand
lolzcat

Thanks, was mystifying to me. I hope they get to sit on him (Weaver), he seems like an intriguing upside project.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:09 PM   #866
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I guess you could say “he’s injured” and the Pats would put 50 guys a year on IR with hangnail inflammation
Old 08-25-2020, 01:59 AM   #867
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
The league rules state a non-vested (inexperienced) player must pass through waivers before going to injured reserve if he’s injured in the preseason. This rule is designed to prevent teams from stashing young players.

Thanks Steve, much appreciated!
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 03:41 PM   #868
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Reports out that Saints are open to trading Kamara.

Any team that takes him would almost certainly have to sign him to an extension (he's currently holding out).

On the one hand, he's got skills that no one else in the NFL has.

On the other hand, he's a running back, and [insert the last 5 years of discussion of RB value here].

I'm thinking that a 2nd and a 4th feels like fair value, considering the extension point.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 09-01-2020 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-01-2020, 03:45 PM   #869
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Is it weird that a 2nd and a 4th simultaneously seems cheap as hell for someone so obviously talented as Kamara, and crazy expensive (especially when considering the extension) for an RB in this day and age?
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 03:49 PM   #870
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Is it weird that a 2nd and a 4th simultaneously seems cheap as hell for someone so obviously talented as Kamara, and crazy expensive (especially when considering the extension) for an RB in this day and age?

YES.

As a Saints' fan, I'll be bummed if they don't get a first for him. It will feel like not enough.

But if I were a team that gave up a 2nd and a 4th and ~$14 million/year in cap space for him, it would feel like an overpay.

This should not count for anything from the teams' perspective, but I will say as a fan that he is just fun to watch. I don't know what all of the advanced stats say about his actual value. But it's just fun to have a guy who you get a little excited anytime he gets the ball in space.
Old 09-01-2020, 05:13 PM   #871
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Fournette is free, not the same type of back as Kamara but still. The Washington should be in on Kamara or Fournette
Old 09-01-2020, 05:17 PM   #872
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Mixon might be available, too.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:35 AM   #873
Edward64
Head Coach

Adrian Peterson cut by Washington. Haven't kept up with his career but he was fantastic in his early years with the Vikings. Sad to see very good-great players at the latter part of their careers.

He is about 1,000 yards away from Barry Sander's fifth place.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 10:52 AM   #874
miked
College Starter

RBs have almost no leverage, any team would be crazy to pick up a Kamara for a 4th when there are talented guys sitting 3rd string on some teams.
Old 09-04-2020, 11:05 AM   #875
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
any team would be crazy to pick up a Kamara for a 4th

not willing to go quite this far down the rabbit hole
Old 09-04-2020, 11:05 AM   #876
QuikSand
lolzcat

i.e. I'd pay a 4th to rent Kamara for one season
Old 09-04-2020, 11:12 AM   #877
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The question is whether Kamara would be willing to play for anyone without a new deal.

From what I hear, the new CBA makes holdouts pretty much nonstarters with things like losing accrued seasons toward free agency and the like, but I admit to ignorance on the details.

As a practical matter, though, I'd hate to trade for Kamara with the idea of having him play out his rookie deal, and then have him suddenly get unexplained headaches that keep him out of the lineup or some other such non-holdout holdout.
Old 09-04-2020, 12:52 PM   #878
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
not willing to go quite this far down the rabbit hole

Yeah, while I agree with the sentiment I'm not willing to go that extreme either. If you look at 4th rounders picked since 2000 there are maybe 30-40 guys you'd consider true impact players and maybe another 90-100 who were decent starters at one point, which is fine.

But if I'm a team with an offense that fits Kamara and I'm contending this year, yeah I'm absolutely trading a 1 in 5/6 shot at an NFL starter for him even if it's just for the one year. Not even a question. Even if you consider last year a slight disappointment he's got over 4500 yards from scrimmage and 37 TD's in 3 years in the league. I think it's a vast oversimplification to suggest there are 3rd string RB's anywhere who can match that production.

Would I do a 2nd and a 4th? Tough to say, but I think some teams would definitely pay it.
Old 09-04-2020, 03:36 PM   #879
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I know this is coming from being a Falcon's fan, but there are very few things in life that I have routed for as much as the Buccs absolutely shitting the bed this year. Like no wins, horrible infighting, run Brady out on a rail shitting the bed. I know it is not going to happen, but still.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 04:25 PM   #880
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Those Gatorade commercials with Todd Gurley aren’t very effective if you have to google “Falcons RB Depth Chart” to figure out who he is.
Old 09-04-2020, 04:29 PM   #881
stevew
Hall Of Famer

2nd round picks seem way over valued. If BB is willing to light them on fire on a semi regular basis, it just shows that they’re over valued . Especially stuff in the second half of the round.
Old 09-04-2020, 04:30 PM   #882
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

You mean the three time pro-bowler who lead the league in touchdowns twice? Yeah, unknown.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 05:19 PM   #883
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Todd Gurley in on the Falcons?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 05:26 PM   #884
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Jadaveon Clowney is courting teams.

He’s a good player. But he’s not the guy we thought he was when he came in #1 overall.

Has the perception of a player ever been more affected by one play than Clowney’s has been by that bowl game play against Michigan?
Old 09-04-2020, 08:47 PM   #885
bhlloy
Coordinator

Maybe? I mean consensus #1 DE in the country coming out of HS, 47 sacks in 3 years in the SEC and running a 4.53 at 265 was probably going to get him drafted pretty high regardless.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:03 PM   #886
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
2nd round picks seem way over valued. If BB is willing to light them on fire on a semi regular basis, it just shows that they’re over valued . Especially stuff in the second half of the round.

Topical that Rosen is about to get cut, with the Fins giving up a 2nd and a 5th for him originally.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:12 PM   #887
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Rosen sucks and was a misfire. But he's probably the type of risk you should try to take for the #62 pick. The guy who the cardinals drafted, Andy Isabella, had 9 catches last season. Maybe he proves his worth as the #62 pick, but not exactly an auspicious start. I know WR start slow, but not *that* slow typically. He was basically a gunner all season I believe.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:35 PM   #888
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Coincidentally I was just looking at Rosen's contract and discussing it with a friend last week, and I had said "no way they cut him this year" because it would essentially cost them more to cut him......go figure.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:54 PM   #889
cuervo72
Head Coach

Just for easy access: NFL Draft thread-2018 - Front Office Football Central
Old 09-05-2020, 01:04 AM   #890
bhlloy
Coordinator

Huh, that's definitely my least bad take in a draft thread ever. Darnold and NY will be a bad match and Rosen needs to start from Day 1. Better than the time I called Aaron Rodgers the biggest bust in recent memory for sure.
Old 09-06-2020, 04:54 PM   #891
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
On a similar level, there was the young QB discussion in the 2018 season thread (starting at post #347): NFL 2018 Season Thread - Front Office Football Central
I think Lamar Jackson was still backing up Joe Flacco back then, hence not even coming into the discussion (October 2nd, that sounds like week 4 or so).
I do remember initially thinking Jackson was resembling RGIII's head first running style, but from what I have seen, I think Jackson moved away from that in 2019 towards a safer running style, as far as there is one.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 09-06-2020 at 05:02 PM.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 12:51 AM   #892
stevew
Hall Of Famer

This seems like the perfect year for the NFL to have a 6-8 team minor league. People haven’t gotten the reps all offseason and with no preseason games the backup pool is weak.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:28 AM   #893
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Ryan Fitzpatrick can not be held down!
Old 09-08-2020, 12:57 AM   #894
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Odell.

That's all I'm gonna say, other than maybe "damn Twitter, just damn, there's shit I did NOT need to know. LITERALLY"
Old 09-08-2020, 02:15 AM   #895
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Is it the same model that claimed to take on half of the Phoenix Suns? All these girls look alike. Spray tans and juiced up lips.
Old 09-08-2020, 06:27 AM   #896
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Odell.

That's all I'm gonna say, other than maybe "damn Twitter, just damn, there's shit I did NOT need to know. LITERALLY"

The fact that your previous post before this one was in the FUDGE thread and that it involved Ashley Madison alongside this post is something I find weirdly humorous
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 12:28 PM   #897
Thomkal
Head Coach

Cards make De'Andre Hopkins the highest paid non-QB ever with a 2 year extension worth 54 million+ in new money and gets 42 million+ guaranteed at signing.
Old 09-08-2020, 01:06 PM   #898
QuikSand
lolzcat

two years tho
Old 09-08-2020, 01:30 PM   #899
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Matches up with Kyler on his cheap rookie deal, get to re-assess then.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:00 AM   #900
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Broncos' Von Miller suffers potentially season-ending injury: Reports