Old 04-06-2019, 07:50 PM   #403
Galaril
Pro Starter

Refs��
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:57 PM   #404
miami_fan
Coordinator

I am just impressed they made the call. Would not have been surprised if they swallowed the whistle.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 08:31 PM   #405
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

How was that even a foul?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 08:49 PM   #406
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

I thought it was pretty clear on two fronts. Contact on the shot and did not give him room to land. That last part has been called pretty consistently throughout the tournament

Of course, there was a missed double dribble and a missed shirt pull during the last possession as well.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 04-06-2019, 09:01 PM   #407
Galaril
Pro Starter

Yeah that call does not get made against a blood blood school or even UVA but the NCAA is trying their hardest to get the final a game between UVA and MSU. Also no one seems to be mentioning the missed double dribble by the UVA player with 2.5 seconds that should have ended the game everyone agrees was missed. (SMH)

Last edited by Galaril : 04-06-2019 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:21 PM   #408
bhlloy
Coordinator

Except the three times they mentioned it in the post game you mean? And the bit in the ESPN post game article? I’ve seen it mentioned as many times as the foul itself.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 09:44 PM   #409
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Living in ACC country that's certainly the first time I've heard the idea the NCAA has a pro-Virginia bias

Maybe it would've felt more right if Guy made 2/3 & the game went to OT (and if you want to argue they missed other call go for it), but that's a foul. Forget the room to land, Guy didn't kick his legs out and the defender came through his lower half before the ball was released.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 10:00 PM   #410
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
but the NCAA is trying their hardest to get the final a game between UVA and MSU.

Well that'd be one way to get out of their TV deal I guess.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:21 PM   #411
miami_fan
Coordinator

I'm here for a first time NCAA college basketball champion.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:33 PM   #412
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Well that'd be one way to get out of their TV deal I guess.

Well better I assume than a TTU vs Auburn final from the NCAA's view.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:41 PM   #413
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well better I assume than a TTU vs Auburn final from the NCAA's view.

Ehhhhhh .... the latter would have been more watchable on the court, smaller fan bases, so probably close to a wash.
Old 04-07-2019, 08:38 AM   #414
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I thought it was pretty clear on two fronts. Contact on the shot and did not give him room to land. That last part has been called pretty consistently throughout the tournament

Of course, there was a missed double dribble and a missed shirt pull during the last possession as well.

Thanks, I'm not a basketball rules expert by no means. I didn't see the contact on the shot as he put his hands up, but I did see a bit of a lean into his body.

Too bad they missed the DD. Either way, hell of a run by Auburn.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 11:44 AM   #415
HerRealName
College Prospect

My daughter is a freshman at TT. She said the only word to describe last night was apocalyptic. Couches and rental scooter burned, cars flipped, police dogs harassed, ending in tear gas.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 12:32 PM   #416
digamma
Torchbearer

Virginia really should have blown up the program after losing in the first round last year.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 07:29 PM   #417
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Fair being fair & all ... Remember that really good women's bracket I had?

Final tally:
Pct: 58%
Old 04-07-2019, 07:31 PM   #418
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Virginia really should have blown up the program after losing in the first round last year.

I absolutely would have, so I'll own that.

Takes some luck to win the big ones, and that's something you can't predict.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:38 PM   #419
miami_fan
Coordinator

What started off as a father/coach taking three kids down to see championship basketball in which we had no rooting interest turned into one of the five best sporting experiences of my life tonight. Besides an exciting game, the atmosphere was incredible. Both the Baylor and Notre Dame fans were absolutely amazing. They really enjoy the occasion, cheered hard for their team and appreciated the efforts of the opposition. I am really happy we were able to go.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:42 PM   #420
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

Um? Can you imagine shooting percentages if defenders were allowed to hip check shooters?
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 11:45 PM   #421
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Yeah that call does not get made against a blood blood school or even UVA but the NCAA is trying their hardest to get the final a game between UVA and MSU. Also no one seems to be mentioning the missed double dribble by the UVA player with 2.5 seconds that should have ended the game everyone agrees was missed. (SMH)

In defense of the double dribble the ref probably didnt get a good view of whos foot it went off of because he was looking to call a foul. As far as TV ratings I am sure Virginia would be about the last school theyd want(slow paced and dull). Auburn and Michigan St out of them teams would be the most exciting game IMO.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 11:47 PM   #422
MrBug708
Head Coach

Our athletic departments inability to make a hire in basketball is baffling
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:11 AM   #423
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Our athletic departments inability to make a hire in basketball is baffling
I'm puzzled at offering Calipari $8M/per (which was still lower than what he's already making at Kentucky) and then not being willing to cover Dixon's buyout.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:15 AM   #424
bhlloy
Coordinator

Unless your goals are to try to convince a demanding fan base you are looking to hire the best and throw a ton of money at it, but you really aren't. Although that's surprising given the Chip Kelly hire in football, I'm not really sure why they aren't rolling all the stops out for a team that actually is one of the bluebloods in basketball.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:37 AM   #425
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I'm puzzled at offering Calipari $8M/per (which was still lower than what he's already making at Kentucky) and then not being willing to cover Dixon's buyout.

It really wasn't lower, kind of. Calipari's based was 7.5 million. UCLA offered north of 8 million. Cal was getting the rest of his salary supplemented by Nike, which UA was going to match. The donors on the hook for the buyout were promised a big name and Dixon didn't move the needle for them I guess.

And UCLA has one of the least demanding fan bases out there. Why else would DG still have a job, promote Steve Lavin, and hire Steve Alford to begin with? Steve Alford should have been fired after year 3, but we don't make rash decisions. We wait til a coach has soured way too long, hold on another year, give them an extension, and then fire them. Bill Self doesn't have a buyout, why would he leave to another program? But we had to give Alford a giant buyout because...the AD wanted to make sure he wouldn't have to make another hire before retirement. Which is going to have to make, before likely retiring in December. Just what a new coach wants, a new boss in 8 months.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:00 AM   #426
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

When it comes to actually making a ballsy decision in the critical revenue sports, Dan Guerrero is about as impotent and risk-averse and media sensitive as any AD I have ever seen. He might be the worst at this.

It's amazing, too, because he has proven to be an excellent fundraiser and pretty good at hiring non-revenue coaches and the other aspects of the job.

But he is just absolutely terrible at hiring coaches people actually give a crap about and notice, and he has to be forced to fire coaches well past their expiration date.

Not vetting Alford with the rape apologist case at Iowa and then giving him a mind-numbing buyout is two astonishingly awful decisions.

He had to be told to stay out of the way for UCLA to hire Kelly. Everything I have heard so far indicates lack of communication among the various UCLA parties had a hand in us getting caught with our pants down on the Dixon buyout. I can't say for sure what DG's role in that was but I would be shocked if it was "no role at all." It has his handiwork all over it.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 04-08-2019 at 04:03 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:29 AM   #427
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I absolutely would have, so I'll own that.

Takes some luck to win the big ones, and that's something you can't predict.

And lose them.

The Hoos have gotten their share of luck the last two games and really haven't played very well other than a stretch in the Oregon game all tournament. That said the style tonight may play into their advantage.

I was at the game Saturday and the final sequence was really bizarre in the arena because no one could hear the whistle. Watching the replay yesterday was a completely different experience.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:37 AM   #428
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
My daughter is a freshman at TT. She said the only word to describe last night was apocalyptic. Couches and rental scooter burned, cars flipped, police dogs harassed, ending in tear gas.

Texas Tech: keeping it classy since, well, never.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:17 PM   #429
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
What started off as a father/coach taking three kids down to see championship basketball in which we had no rooting interest turned into one of the five best sporting experiences of my life tonight. Besides an exciting game, the atmosphere was incredible. Both the Baylor and Notre Dame fans were absolutely amazing. They really enjoy the occasion, cheered hard for their team and appreciated the efforts of the opposition. I am really happy we were able to go.

That was a great game. Enjoyed it from start to finish. Hated seeing Cox go down like that. Hope she's able to come back by the beginning of next season.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:17 PM   #430
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

It appears UCLA has offered the job to Rick Barnes.

Thoughts Jon?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:25 PM   #431
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Not Jon but..
1- He'd have to be crazy to make that move
2- He is a hell of a basketball coach
3- I'm not sure thats a good culture fit

edit to expand just a touch
Barnes last year at Clemson was first year as a UA/SA on the football team. Ive spent a little time around him.
He is a typical deep south Bible belt guy. Jesus, mama and apple pie. He was the one to say grace before all us coaches ate. Now he was fiery, and had "the devil's tongue" on the court. But they were a very devout family. He has a son, Nick, who was ... I dont know pre teen maybe 11 or so then ....that is a missionary and travels the world preaching Gospel. I'm just not sure that his style resonates in CA.

Due to the cost of living it will be a pay cut for him, that's why I say he'd be crazy to take it.

Im not sure if his ego will let him turn it down.

Last edited by CU Tiger : 04-08-2019 at 02:44 PM.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:41 PM   #432
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Not Jon but..
1- He'd have to be crazy to make that move
2- He is a hell of a basketball coach
3- I'm not sure thats a good culture fit

I ageee with 2 and 3. Why 1? Even if UCLA has fallen off with some stupid hires, it is still a blue blood school and has a ton of things going for it (facilities, money, LA weather, recruiting base, history and tradition, an easier conference). Those are an awful lot of reasons to make the move.

Old 04-08-2019, 03:16 PM   #433
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Not to knock UCLA but I think Barnes is using that opening to get more money out of Tennessee. UCLA boosters may be loosening the purse strings a great deal, but all that SEC TV money is going to make it easy for the Vols to match whatever the Bruins offer him.

As to CU's points, I assume a large part of 1. is based on 3.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:22 PM   #434
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not to knock UCLA but I think Barnes is using that opening to get more money out of Tennessee. UCLA boosters may be loosening the purse strings a great deal, but all that SEC TV money is going to make it easy for the Vols to match whatever the Bruins offer him.

As to CU's points, I assume a large part of 1. is based on 3.

I don't know that he's aiming to make Tenn do that, but I'll bet that's what happens.

I think there are a ton of reasons to not make the move, too, including the culture fit. I just question calling it crazy to make the move. That shoe doesn't fit. Too many reasons to consider it.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 04-08-2019 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-08-2019, 03:23 PM   #435
Atocep
Coordinator

I think Barnes is a better coach than Dixon, but Dixon would have been a better fit.

The Dixon situation now sounds like a disaster of epic proportions for TCU.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 03:49 PM   #436
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I think there are a ton of reasons to not make the move, too, including the culture fit. I just question calling it crazy to make the move. That shoe doesn't fit. Too many reasons to consider it.
I guess the way I think of it is, a job can be a great job, but if it's not a great fit for that particular person, it's NOT a great job for THAT person. Sure, there's a ton to recommend the UCLA job in general, but if there are major culture fit questions between Barnes and the UCLA opening then perhaps he would be crazy to take it, especially if Tennessee is a much better cultural fit.

Again, not knocking UCLA in any way, and I don't think CU meant "crazy" as a knock against UCLA. Over the past few years of watching Washington athletics and seeing how Jen Cohen operates and the synergy between her, the school and coaches like Petersen and Hopkins I have a much greater appreciation for how "fit" matters. And when I think about it, I see it all around me in my field and the experiences I've had and people I've observed in my career.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:51 PM   #437
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I guess the way I think of it is, a job can be a great job, but if it's not a great fit for that particular person, it's NOT a great job for THAT person. Sure, there's a ton to recommend the UCLA job in general, but if there are major culture fit questions between Barnes and the UCLA opening then perhaps he would be crazy to take it, especially if Tennessee is a much better cultural fit.

Again, not knocking UCLA in any way, and I don't think CU meant "crazy" as a knock against UCLA. Over the past few years of watching Washington athletics and seeing how Jen Cohen operates and the synergy between her, the school and coaches like Petersen and Hopkins I have a much greater appreciation for how "fit" matters. And when I think about it, I see it all around me in my field and the experiences I've had and people I've observed in my career.

I agree with you. And I don't see what you or what CU was saying as a knock on UCLA. They're sensible observations about the program and about Barnes. The UCLA men's basketball program is one of the more potentially adventagepus positions in college athletics-- but it is also fraught with potential issues (the shadow of Wooden, an incompetent AD, public school financing oversight, a front running fanbase like much of LA, the problems which come ftom being around a lot of money and the LA lifestyle, UCLA's academic restrictions, etc.).

I'm just pointing out that terming a decision to go there as "crazy" for Barnes is a little too far in the face of the reality of things.

As a Bruins fan, I am definitely worried about fit if this hire happens. Atocep is right that Dixon was a better fit, and I wosh that had happened instead.

That said, if Barnes comes to Westwood, at the very least we have a proven coach who knows what he is doing, and we no longer have that jackass Steve Alford there.

Old 04-08-2019, 05:01 PM   #438
tarcone
Coordinator

Its amazing how Steve Alford burns bridges everywhere he goes. No fan base is unhappy when he leaves and the fans in each location feel the same way.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 05:15 PM   #439
Kodos
Resident Alien

It's nice to see that Indiana isn't the only basketball blue blood that has struggled to hire an elite coach since losing a legend.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:54 PM   #440
Schmidty
Coordinator

I’m wondering if the Nassar issue is affecting me, but I fell asleep in the first half. When I woke up, I was sad, but quickly stopped caring and went on to something else. Is it the fact that I’ve been living out west so long that weakened my insanely strong loyalties? Maybe, and if so, it’s bittersweet.

Congrats to both teams that made the finals. No favorite from here: Just hoping that they put on a good show.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:19 PM   #441
MrBug708
Head Coach

I'm not sure how it actually fits into Barnes to UCLA. The move isn't to setup the next ten years,it's a chance to move to a garbage conference and have a better shot at winning a title for the next 5 years. Tennessee should be taking a big step back with some of the losses. But I get why he would choose to stay. But his legacy will stay the same at Tennessee and either way, he will be financially secure moving forward.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:35 PM   #442
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I'm just pointing out that terming a decision to go there as "crazy" for Barnes is a little too far in the face of the reality of things.

Here is why I say its crazy (and I'll stand by that stance)
Why do you change jobs?
Typically its for more money, a better work situation, more long term stability, more prestige, or better upward mobility. In the world of big time college coaches I guess we can toss more fame in there and access talent.

So I will go 1 by 1.
- Money. He is set to make $4MM at UT before he gets a bump. $4MM in Knoxville is worth what 7 maybe 8 mil in LA? I mean maybe UCLA will pay that...but I doubt it. Even if they do at what cost.
- Work Situation - First Barnes is a SE guy. He grew up in the foothills of NC in a furniture town. He went to college at a nearby small southern baptist school. His entire coaching career has been in the south except a 5 year stint in RI which Ive personally heard him describe as "beautiful but horrible to me"...he is a "log cabin" guy not a glitz and glamor LA guy.Furthermore at UCLA the absolute best he could ever hope for is to be the best thing since Wooden. At UT he has a real chance to become their best (Men's) BBall coach ever. AT UT a sweet sixteen very 4 or 5 years is probably a lifetime contract. At UCLA if he doesnt get over that hump come year 5 he is probably looking for work. Then we get into things like traffic, commute time, etc. These are real daily challenges for him AND his wife.

Stability - see above.
Prestige - I guess UCLA is more prestigious than UT. Certainly it is historically. But at this point today are we splitting hairs?
Upward Mobility - I dont think he has eyes on the NBA...where else does he want to go.
Access to talent - Wash at best. I'd posit that the SE has more BBall talent than the west coast these days but it isnt clear cut either way.
Fame - UCLA could win hands down here. But I think this is a negative in Barnes eyes. Im not sure he wants Hollywood.

Barnes has to be 65 or so. And he has never struck me as a lifer. I dont expect him to die with a whistle in his mouth. Why start over. He has a foundation at UT. He can stay 1 or 2 more years maybe 3 or 4 and then ride off into the sunset.

I just dont see UCLA working. I think there is a real chance that Rick feeds his ego and goes there. I just think he is crazy to do so. If he shows up at a pro life rally in LA they will run him out of town on a rail. In Knoxville it just endears him even more to the locals.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:40 PM   #443
tarcone
Coordinator

I could see Bruce Pearl to UCLA.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:55 PM   #444
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

fwiw, I think it's 50-50.

I think it comes down to his current comfort level vs a chance to restore a blueblood. Be happy or add to your legacy? The reported pay raise isn't insignificant but the cost of living difference pretty much wipes that out I think.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:56 PM   #445
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

9:20 EST tip off. I'm already tired.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:19 PM   #446
tarcone
Coordinator

Im not very interested. Lowest over/under ever. Yawn.

These 2 teams do not interest me much. But I hope TTU wins, just because.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:42 PM   #447
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I'm a pretty big fan of defense, but this game might cure me.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 08:46 PM   #448
tarcone
Coordinator

Virginia wins by 20. They are confident.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:52 PM   #449
spleen1015
Coordinator

If UCLA was such a good job to have, they would have a decent coach already.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:01 PM   #450
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Virginia wins by 20. They are confident.

You are dumb. This will be a lot closer then that.