Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-19-2006, 02:41 PM   #1
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Al Mighty: A Journal (ITP dynasty)

I: In the Beginning

I'm sitting here with my family, my girlfriend and a few of the guys I played with here in Texas and I know I'll be leaving them soon...I just don't know where I'm gonna be. Of course, I hope that the Rangers pick me at #5 because they have their AA team right near in Frisco and AAA is in Oklahoma. I know they have seen me lots of times and I have spoken with several of their people so it could happen, but I just don't know.

The scouting service has me ranked as the #9 player on their draft board. Unfortunately there is another 18 year old third baseman in the draft ranked ahead of me- #4 I believe. His name is Riley Navraj. The #1 ranked player is a starting pitcher named Rob Nielsen but he is a college guy. In fact, there don't seem to be that many high school players that are ranked high this year. Only seven of us that are 4* or higher but you never know what a team will be looking for, what they have in their farm system already. Well, I could look on the Internet, but I'll go where I go and that kind of worry won't make me go higher.

Anyway, the draft is starting and I know I won't be #1 or anything so I'll just wait a bit. The first pick is in and it is one of the high school guys, a second baseman named Wahoo McDaniel goes to Detroit. Picks start coming and none of them are me. Second pick is a shortstop, K.A. Ton, who goes to Milwaukee. Then comes the Pirates who take the other 18 year old third baseman, Riley Navraj. Kansas City picks a 21 year old catcher I never heard of at #4 and now it's the Rangers turn and I wait- and hope- that my phone rings.

It doesn't!! Damn. They take the other catcher, Owen Hunter, another college guy at 21 years old. Now I have no idea where I will be taken, so I get up and go get a Dr. Pepper from the cooler out back. Lisa (my girlfriend) comes out right after me and gives me a hug- one of those where they get you from the side and squeeze and your arms get mushed. I prefer the front or back hug, personally. Anyway, Lisa will be off to Baylor, of all places (though I guess if we don't break up that's a good place for her...less temptation at a church school... or is there more temptation with all the having to sneak around...I don't know what I'm talking about.)

Tampa Bay takes a first baseman, Frank Justice at #6, and I keep falling. The #1 ranked pitcher, Rob Nielsen, finally gets picked at #7 by San Diego, followed by some outfielder who goes to the Expos. #9 is the other 5* pitcher, Kai Nagata. He goes to Colorado and the top ten ends with Cleveland taking Jace Hunter, a second baseman. So much for being a top ten draft pick. This is kinda getting a bit embarrassing with all my teammates sitting here, waiting, and my big-shot ass still on the draft board, dropping farther and farther in the draft every 5 minutes or so.

An old guy, a 23 year old second baseman named Dennis Adkins is chosen by the Mets and #12 is a high school shortstop, Jeff Nights, picked by Florida. This sucks. I get up to go whine and pout, maybe play something on the computer when the phone rings. Everybody sort of jumps, like they now thought I wouldn't ever get chosen and I shot myself. #13? Lucky #13. I answer the phone and it is Cincinnati calling, telling me they have chosen me as their #1 pick. Blah, blah...They are really excited to have me, can't wait to get me into camp, and, BTW, here is $1.15 million dollars for your signature as a signing bonus. It all goes in one ear and out the other. I am excited, but can't help be a bit sad that it took until pick thirteen for me to be chosen.

Everyone seems very excited. Mom hugs and kisses me and dad has a huge smile on his face. He looks really proud, I guess. Seems I am the only one pissed at it taking so long. It is over now, for me, though players keep being selected as we celebrate. Grady Hatcher, an outfielder, is taken right after me at #14 by the Cubs. The only other player I hear is a pitcher I met at an under-18 national camp last summer named Tim Moungey who goes to Minnesota with pick #107.

Pretty soon some guy from the paper calls to talk to me and I think I sounded pretty stupid with the answers I gave, but I'll see what I said in the paper tomorrow. Today is history. Though I had hopes that didn't come true, still and all I am a pro baseball player now, have a LOT of money that I don't really need yet, and will be embarking on one hell of a ride- I hope- very soon.

thealmighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 02:48 PM   #2
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Looking forward to a new rivalry with you, especially since we're both in the same division.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 03:26 PM   #3
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Warmth and paradise in San Diego? I'll TAKE IT!
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 03:29 PM   #4
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Excuse me. I have to get into character.

Warmth and paradise in San Diego? Rob Nielsen approves. Rob Nielsen will win the Rookie of the Year award and the Cy Young award this year.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:42 PM   #5
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Milwaukee? Well, I suppose I should be grateful they saved me from the Royals or the Pirates.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 01:33 AM   #6
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Well, I'm here. Here being Cincinnati's A league team, the Dayton Dragons. At class A we get paid $250 a week so it's a good thing I got a decent bonus, though it wasn't as much as I thought at first. I actually got $1.115 million, not $1.15 mill. You never know when that $35k will be needed though, do you?

I got online at the internet bar down the street to check out what I am up against in A ball. I figured it would be like a very good high school all-star game, but then I look at the rosters and almost half of them are 20 or older. One guy is even 23. Only four players are here from the Dragon team of last year. Don't know if that's good, bad, normal...whatever.

I check on my fellow draftees a bit also to see where they all wound up and get slapped in the face once again. Seems only four of the top 15 or so were actually sent to A ball. That would be Tim Moungey of Minnesota, Jeff Nights with Florida, Nick LaLoosh, who was drafted 16th by the White Sox...and me. Seven went to AA and four to AAA. Unbelievably, shortstop K.A. Ton went straight to the majors with Milwaukee. I know he was drafted 2nd and all and is 23 years old since he stayed in school to graduate, but...DAMN!!

Anyway, then I go to the field to check in because the Dragons, or should I now say 'we', have a game tomorrow- my first as a pro. I go introduce myself to the guys in the lockerroom, meet the manager and coaches, check out my locker (much nicer than I was expecting from horror stories of the minors) and slyly go look at the lineup card posted on a board by the doorway out to the field. BAM!!, another slap in the face. I can NOT believe what I see. Oh, yeah, I am starting all right... at DH. Batting leadoff and a DH? What the hell is that? There are only two third basemen, me and a 22 year old (he'll be 23 in July) who is 6'3" and 220; he was in A ball last year, too...and he has my position. DH? Fuck me.

Lead off as a DH. Who ever heard of that? I mean leading off IS what I do; that is my game. I am pretty fast and supposedly a kick-ass fielder, but they want me to watch. I mean, they DID take me in the first round, right? Why waste my time as a DH after a 22 year old (whom they have in the #8 spot in the order, btw, not like he is hitting fourth or anything)? Either somebody made some kind of mistake or this is some crappy novel where they want to teach someone a lesson in life. At least they gave me my lucky number- 32.

I don't want to talk to anyone at the moment but someone comes up to me and introduces themselves as the coach in charge of weights and conditioning. His name is Joe Anvile. I say "hello, Mr. Anvile" and he says "It's AnVEAL" and I am not sure if he's kidding around or if it really is AnVEAL. I wanted to make a decent impression so I could get some innings in at third as soon as possible so, not wanting to mess up his name, one way or the other, I kinda did everything I could not to have to talk to him for three days until I finally heard someone say his name again...and it is AnVEAL.

Last edited by thealmighty : 06-21-2006 at 01:41 AM.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:54 PM   #7
JeffNights
College Prospect

Hey man, i like this style. Good writeup so far.
JeffNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 10:01 PM   #8
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Here's hoping that Owen is the next Pudge for the Rangers.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 10:49 PM   #9
Izulde
Head Coach

The Twins? I hope I get traded!

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 02:40 PM   #10
Terps
College Prospect

The Mets? Bah.
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:29 PM   #11
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Lessons can be learned the easy way or the hard way. Lately I have been going the hard route. I have always been a bit on the cocky side (if not funny as well), and I am slowly finding out that whatever level of competition there is in A ball, maybe I need a lot more work, effort and humility before I decide I know where I should be playing and what others need to be doing.

Coming in to camp a bit late and assuming I am 'the man' was not the way to go, perhaps. Maybe I should be happy to be here and get to work or I may find myself, for the first time in my life, riding the pine instead of making some headlines and having people talk about me...positively.

We had our first game on April 1st. It was not what I had envisioned when I dreamt of my professional debut- for the team or for myself. I led off the game by striking out looking, something I had almost never done my entire life, back to coach-pitch when I was six years old. By the end of the game, I had gone 0 for 3 with a walk as the Dragons went down meakly, 8-0. We had 4 hits for the game and struck out 12 times.

The next day was a teeny bit better for me and alot better for the team. I did get my first pro hit, a 2-run triple in a 5-run sixth inning and scored on SS Robert Sanders double. In the seventh, catcher Palmer Corbitt (why do parents give their kid a name like that...two last names is not the way to go if I ever have a kid) hit a grand slam and we evened our record with an 11-3 blowout win.

Unbelievably, I read in the paper that catcher Mario Vizcaino of Kansas City is called up to the majors after one minor league game when the Royals release their 34 year old, 13 year veteran and bring up their 21 year old rookie who was drafted in the #4 position. Again, I seem to have so far to go now. All the things I thought I knew, or KNEW I knew, have been blasted away in a very short time.

By the end of the week the Dragons were 4-2 on the young season. I, on the other hand, was not in a good place at all. In fact, my gaudy .208 average got me moved down to the number eight spot in the lineup. Out of all the top draft picks, only one started the year out worse than I did, including those at much higher levels of competition. Even KA Ton, the first of our group to the big leagues, had a very good start, hitting .313 his first week.

I have so much work to do, I know now. I have joined Larry's Workout Palace which is just across the street, practically, from the stadium. I could get some better equipment as well, what with the $1 million dollars and all, but I think for now that I'll stick with what I have, which is:
  • Web Gems Inc IF1 (defense +1)
  • Silver Slugger Inc. A1 (contact +1)
  • Mazano Tech Shoes Basic 1 (defense +1)
  • Magic Sticks Inc BG-1 (defense +1)
Oh, and Thomas Rascoe, the starting 3Bman is hitting .250 with 5 strikeouts. I would, in the past, maybe have laughed at those numbers...but not any more.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:43 PM   #12
thealmighty
Pro Starter

G
GS
W
L
SV
ERA
Inn
HA
R
ER
BB
K
SP
Tim Moungey
Minn
SP
Kai Nagata
Colo
SP
Nuke LaLoosh
Chi (A)
SP
Rob Nilsen
S D
G
AB
H
2B
3B
HR
RBI
R
BB
K
AVG
SB
C
Mario Vizcaino
K C
2B
Jace Hunter
Cle
SS
Jeff Nights
Flo
RF
AJ Tucker
Mon
RF
Grady Hatcher
Cubs
2B
Dennis Adkins
Mets
SS
K.A. Ton
Mil
1B
Frank Justice
T B
C
Owen Hunter
Tex
3B
Riley Navraj
Pitt
2B
Wahoo McDaniel
Det

Last edited by thealmighty : 06-22-2006 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:48 PM   #13
thealmighty
Pro Starter

I don't know about posting the stat list from excel without the color. Without it all the typing is black/white and not necessarily conducive to viewing on different background skins. With the color, it looks really good and all but may slow down load times a good bit for some after a few spreadsheets are in here.

Any knowledge/thoughts/assistance?
Old 06-22-2006, 06:49 PM   #14
Sublime 2
College Benchwarmer

Not bad for Owen: .333 avg, 2 HR's, and 6 RBI's.
Sublime 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 07:46 PM   #15
Travis
Pro Rookie

Wow, apparently I can make contact and have a good eye at the plate, but no extra base hits or stolen bases despite being on base that often, I sure hope my defense is good.

Enjoying the read so far, keep up the good work!
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 08:11 PM   #16
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Nice start for me, especially given that it's in the majors, but where's the power?

Enjoying it so far; if I have one suggestion it would be that you add what level of the minors/majors each player's currently at to the stat list for better context.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:49 PM   #17
Ironhead
College Prospect

Wow! A torrid start by the "Grady Train" deserves his picture to be put up. Just as a bit of history, Grady Hatcher was a player in a fabulous old online baseball league run using BBPRO98 called the MLEB. Hatcher then went on to have a career in Jon Johnson's the Metro Leagues. This was the picture that Jon had given him, except now with his new Cubs digs.

Last edited by Ironhead : 06-22-2006 at 10:50 PM.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:55 PM   #18
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Rob Nielsen demands you spell his name right.

Rob Nielsen also thinks the umps are biased towards him, as he would never give up 5 walks in a game.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:29 PM   #19
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
Rob Nielsen demands you spell his name right.

Isn't this the third dynasty where I spelled Nielsen wrong in one manner or another?
Old 06-22-2006, 11:36 PM   #20
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

EVERYONE spells Nielsen wrong. Nielson and Neilson are both far more common spellings of my name.

So it's no biggy.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:26 AM   #21
thealmighty
Pro Starter

II. What's Wrong Here?

You know how when you have a really bad dream and you're falling or something like that, and you wake up just in time- right before you hit the ground and maybe, supposedly, die- and you're all sweaty and your heart is beating SO fast? Well, what if you didn't wake up? What if you hit the ground but you didn't die? You would probably feel pretty damn bad, right? That's what my week was like.

It started off pretty cool as I noticed that Robin Witte, Cincinnati's third baseman (the guy I hope to replace at some point), was named Player of the Week the first week of the season. He hit .444 with three home runs and 11 RBIs, seven of which were in one game. Then I was introduced to one of the realities of professional sports as I read in the paper that Witte was injured two days later and will miss some time. Up in the stratosphere one day and down in the bowels of hell the next.

The reason this is more important than it might seem for an 18 year old just starting out is that I am hoping the opposite will be true as well. See, I had the worst week of my entire life, sports wise or any other wise, last week, and I am hoping- or praying, even- that there is some kind of rainbow coming at the end of this rainy, nightmarish week. In my dreams at the moment, I see myself back in Texas, back in the Metroplex, going to some crap community college after getting cut by the Reds system because, at the moment, I SUCK. SUCK so bad it is painful to watch, I'm sure. How glad am I now that my mom or dad are not coming to Ohio to watch me play anytime soon.

I played in six games last week- we were off Thursday. I got a hit in ONE of them. Yeah, last week my BAvg. was so low, if it was money, I couldn't buy a Dr. Pepper...not even a small. And the team went 2-4, so I was hurting the team along with it all. In fact, how bad did it get? How much was I hurting the team? So much that, another first (and second) in my career, spanning since I was four years old, I got pinch hit for- TWICE- in the seventh inning of close games. I was actually kinda shocked that I was even in the lineup on sunday, but I was. I guess it isn't easy for a manager, no matter what the circumstances, to bench the club's #1 draft pick. But I should have been.

I doesn't really make me feel any better, but a big chunk of our draft class had really shitty weeks. Noone was as bad as me, but let's just say that, if it was a month ago, I'd be laughing at their weekly stat lines. There were, of course, some who performed as expected, like pitchers Rob Nielsen and Nick LaLoosh, who each had ERAs below 1.50. Then there was Grady "Train" Hatcher with the Cubs AA team who hit .353 and Jeff Nights and Dennis Adkins both hit .333 for the week with six RBIs each.

Anyway, at least the week is over and I can hope- and pray, maybe- that I get it together... SOON. On top of all that, I called Lisa in Waco (Baylor U., remember). Of course, in keeping with the rest of my week, she wasn't there and never returned my call. Don't know if we are over or not- don't know if I care right now. Maybe if I ever get another hit? Ten at bats in a row without one tends to make a person pretty miserable all around. I would go to the bar and drink on our next off day, but I would probably get carded, have the cops called and wind up in the papers as a degenerate. spoiled punk...from Texas.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:28 AM   #22
thealmighty
Pro Starter

This Week
G
GS
W
L
SV
ERA
Inn
HA
R
ER
BB
K
RP
Tim Moungey
Minn
A
SP
Kai Nagata
Colo
AA
SP
Nuke LaLoosh
Chi (A)
A
SP
Rob Nielsen
S D
AA
G
AB
H
2B
3B
HR
RBI
R
BB
K
AVG
SB
C
Mario Vizcaino
K C
Maj
2B
Jace Hunter
Cle
AA
SS
Jeff Nights
Flo
AA
RF
AJ Tucker
Mon
AAA
RF
Grady Hatcher
Cubs
AA
2B
Dennis Adkins
Mets
AA
SS
K.A. Ton
Mil
Maj
1B
Frank Justice
T B
AAA
C
Owen Hunter
Tex
AAA
3B
Riley Navraj
Pitt
AA
2B
Wahoo McDaniel
Det
AA
3B
Al Mighty
Cin
A
Season Totals
G
GS
W
L
SV
ERA
Inn
HA
R
ER
BB
K
RP
Tim Moungey
Minn
A
SP
Kai Nagata
Colo
AA
SP
Nuke LaLoosh
Chi (A)
A
SP
Rob Nielsen
S D
AA
G
AB
H
2B
3B
HR
RBI
R
BB
K
AVG
SB
C
Mario Vizcaino
K C
Maj
2B
Jace Hunter
Cle
AA
SS
Jeff Nights
Flo
AA
RF
AJ Tucker
Mon
AAA
RF
Grady Hatcher
Cubs
AA
2B
Dennis Adkins
Mets
AA
SS
K.A. Ton
Mil
Maj
1B
Frank Justice
T B
AAA
C
Owen Hunter
Tex
AAA
3B
Riley Navraj
Pitt
AA
2B
Wahoo McDaniel
Det
AA
3B
Al Mighty
Cin
A
Old 06-25-2006, 04:15 PM   #23
wahoomac
Mascot

Wow! A #1 draft pick. And the Tigers put me a AA ball. Pretty good for an 18-year old second baseman. 5 doubles in the first two weeks. I strikeout way too much though (11 in 39 ABs). Great reading!
Old 06-26-2006, 02:30 PM   #24
Blade
College Prospect

Great write-ups! I am loving this...

Although my pitcher seems to be giving up runs left, right, and center...

Loyal fan of the Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Eagles.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 04:24 PM   #25
thealmighty
Pro Starter

III. Turning the Corner?

I never really had a 'slump' before in my life, much less one that saw me go 0-16 and have an .056 BA for an entire week. Especially not one where I can't even contribute with some stellar defense and make myself feel part of the team.

So, what does it take to end the drought? I wish I knew. I was taking extra BP. I wasn't much of a partier in school and haven't been staying out late here. I did go to the Fiddlers Sports Bar wednesday (we were off), but there wasn't anyone there really. I also have never really been the big time leader type. I lead sometimes, when I think it is really necessary, but not now. Not when I am such a noob with this group. So, what would it take to get going? I don't know... but I had a better week all the same.

Of course, better is all relative. If this was still high school, this week would have put me in a really piss-poor mood. Now, however, I take anything I can get. Thursday I drew a walk in the bottom of the 2nd. It was just a walk, but it stopped the bleeding in my head a bit. The next at bat I had, in the 4th, I got my first hit in about a week, then got a leadoff triple in the 7th to go 2 for 3 on the day.

It wasn't a great week, but it was better. I managed to end it with a 4-game hitting streak, albeit in three of the games I only had the one hit. I still was pinch hit for twice, which will always be a horrible feeling, but at least I see some light shine through where there was none days ago.

And it could be worse. Jeff NIghts, a shortstop who was the #12 draft pick by Florida, had his season ended by a broken wrist on April 12th. He will miss the rest of the year. That REALLY sucks. At least he is just 18, so he has time to make up the season, in a way, that he wouldn't have if he were one of the 20+ year old guys.

There can be goood news, too. Second baseman Dennis Adkins, whom the Mets took at #11, got moved up to AAA last week. Must be nice. Also, Rob Nielsen, the #7 pick by San Diego, was moved to the closer spot at their AA team. Don't know if that would be seen as a positive, but I guess it means the Padres think he has the stuff and the mental toughness to handle the pressure.

Now we will see if I have the mental toughness to dig my way out of a terrible start to my pro career.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:26 PM   #26
thealmighty
Pro Starter

This Week
G
GS
W
L
SV
ERA
Inn
HA
R
ER
BB
K
MR
Tim Moungey
Minn
A
SP
Kai Nagata
Colo
AA
SP
Nuke LaLoosh
Chi (A)
A
CL
Rob Nielsen
S D
AA
G
AB
H
2B
3B
HR
RBI
R
BB
K
AVG
SB
C
Mario Vizcaino
K C
Maj
2B
Jace Hunter
Cle
AA
SS
Jeff Nights
Flo
AA
RF
AJ Tucker
Mon
AAA
RF
Grady Hatcher
Cubs
AA
2B
Dennis Adkins
Mets
AA
SS
K.A. Ton
Mil
Maj
1B
Frank Justice
T B
AAA
C
Owen Hunter
Tex
AAA
3B
Riley Navraj
Pitt
AA
2B
Wahoo McDaniel
Det
AA
3B
Al Mighty
Cin
A
Season Totals
G
GS
W
L
SV
ERA
Inn
HA
R
ER
BB
K
RP
Tim Moungey
Minn
A
SP
Kai Nagata
Colo
AA
SP
Nuke LaLoosh
Chi (A)
A
CL
Rob Nielsen
S D
AA
G
AB
H
2B
3B
HR
RBI
R
BB
K
AVG
SB
C
Mario Vizcaino
K C
Maj
2B
Jace Hunter
Cle
AA
SS
Jeff Nights
Flo
AA
RF
AJ Tucker
Mon
AAA
RF
Grady Hatcher
Cubs
AA
2B
Dennis Adkins
Mets
AA
SS
K.A. Ton
Mil
Maj
1B
Frank Justice
T B
AAA
C
Owen Hunter
Tex
AAA
3B
Riley Navraj
Pitt
AA
2B
Wahoo McDaniel
Det
AA
3B
Al Mighty
Cin
A
Old 06-26-2006, 04:51 PM   #27
Travis
Pro Rookie

Wow. Um, maybe I should try hitting from the other side of the plate? Other end of the bat? Try pitching?
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 06:08 PM   #28
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Still no extra-base hits? Good grief. Maybe I shouldn't be in the majors quite yet.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:24 PM   #29
JeffNights
College Prospect

Awww..fuck me...broken wrist. crap.

lol

Keep this up, i enjoy itp storis.
JeffNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 06:28 PM   #30
Terps
College Prospect

Wooo, a promotion!
Old 06-26-2006, 08:47 PM   #31
Buccaneer
Head Coach

This is a fantastic read! I'm really hoping to see good things out of your player. I like how he starts low, for it will be a fun dynasty to see him improve and move up.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:53 PM   #32
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Rob Nielsen DEMANDS he be moved back as a starter.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:03 PM   #33
thealmighty
Pro Starter

What a weird week. We had two off days this week, one of which was on sunday. Who ever heard of not playing a game on a sunday? You would think that would be a big crowd day here in Dayton, but I guess the league wanted to appease the religion crowd a bit.

More weirdness ensues. I come into the week with a modest four game hit streak. We play five games. I get exactly one hit in each game. Now I have a nine game hit streak. You would think that, torrid as I must be to have such a streak, my BA would have skyrocketed. Getting exactly one hit per game won't relly do that for a hitter, though, will it?

Don't get me wrong, I am happy to have the streak going, but when you go 1 for 5 like I did on tuesday, and that raises your average, that's not exactly rockin' anyone's world now, is it? Of course I HAVE raised my BA over the dreaded Mendoza line (.200), at least for now if not permanently, so we can all be happy with the proverbial 'baby-step' improvement.

The worst day, and at the same time best, was on thursday (we were off on wednesday). It was the worst EVER because I was not in the lineup to start the game. Riding the pine. Sitting on my ass. Not cool- or fun. The good part of the game was that I actually got to play a couple of innings at third because Juan Whyte pinch hit for Rascoe in the seventh inning. Then, in the eighth, I came to bat with- dum, dum- my hitting streak on the line and the one at bat to keep it going. Well, I came through in the clutch (lol) and stroked one to go 1-1. That was the hit that put me over the .200 mark, also.

Oh yeah, the Dragons only went 1-4 too. We are not playing well at all, giving up around eight runs a game and struggling at the plate. I could say "at least it's not just me" but that wouldn't be a very team oriented view, I guess.

It was also a weird week for some draftees in my class. Rob Nielsen, the pitcher who was moved to closer by the Padres, was promoted to AAA, but didn't pitch all week. Don't know if that's because he is still a closer or if he had travel time, but at least he is progressing, especially with an ERA under 2.00. Minnesota's Tim Moungey and Kai Nagata of the Rockies also did not get any innings. Don't know why as the wires have them as healthy.

Our two pros are not exactly tearing it up with the bat, but their fielding is very good. Catcher Mario Vizcaino of Kansas City is the #5 ranked defensive catcher while the Brewers K.A. Ton is ranked #7 at short. That's overall, too, not just rookies. Not a bad showing at all.

Also, three of our class hit .400 or better last week. Riley Navraj in AA hit .471 (holy shit) while Owen Hunter hit .400 and Dennis Adkins hit .412 in AAA. Adkins just got moved up to AAA last week, too. Guess he was ready.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:05 PM   #34
thealmighty
Pro Starter

This Week
G
GS
W
L
SV
ERA
Inn
HA
R
ER
BB
K
MR
Tim Moungey
Min
A
SP
Kai Nagata
Colo
AA
SP
Nuke LaLoosh
Chi (A)
A
CL
Rob Nielsen
S D
AAA
G
AB
H
2B
3B
HR
RBI
R
BB
K
AVG
SB
C
Mario Vizcaino
K C
Maj
2B
Jace Hunter
Cle
AA
SS
Jeff Nights
Flo
AA
RF
AJ Tucker
Mon
AAA
RF
Grady Hatcher
Cubs
AA
2B
Dennis Adkins
Mets
AAA
SS
K.A. Ton
Mil
Maj
1B
Frank Justice
T B
AAA
RF
Joseph Keene
Min
AA
C
Owen Hunter
Tex
AAA
3B
Riley Navraj
Pitt
AA
2B
Wahoo McDaniel
Det
AA
3B
Al Mighty
Cin
A
Season Totals
G
GS
W
L
SV
ERA
Inn
HA
R
ER
BB
K
RP
Tim Moungey
Min
A
SP
Kai Nagata
Colo
AA
SP
Nuke LaLoosh
Chi (A)
A
CL
Rob Nielsen
S D
AAA
G
AB
H
2B
3B
HR
RBI
R
BB
K
AVG
SB
C
Mario Vizcaino
K C
Maj
2B
Jace Hunter
Cle
AA
SS
Jeff Nights
Flo
AA
RF
AJ Tucker
Mon
AAA
RF
Grady Hatcher
Cubs
AA
2B
Dennis Adkins
Mets
AAA
SS
K.A. Ton
Mil
Maj
1B
Frank Justice
T B
AAA
RF
Joseph Keene
Min
AA
C
Owen Hunter
Tex
AAA
3B
Riley Navraj
Pitt
AA
2B
Wahoo McDaniel
Det
AA
3B
Al Mighty
Cin
A
Old 06-27-2006, 06:47 PM   #35
Terps
College Prospect

Woot! Big week in AAA. Call me up to the show now, lousy Mets.
Old 06-28-2006, 04:09 AM   #36
Icy
Pro Starter

Wow i'm in the Majors way earlier than i thought. My hitting is not that bad for being a rookie, .279 with my firt HR already hit in the majors!

Good to know i'm the #5 defensive catcher so far. I'm happy of being part of the KC major league roster and i'm proving them i deserved it.

Good read so far thealmighty. Btw, can you please post MLB standings from time to time?

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 12:50 PM   #37
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
Btw, can you please post MLB standings from time to time?

It's in the next update.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:20 AM   #38
thealmighty
Pro Starter

The hitting streak ended with a whimper at nine games monday as I went 0-3 with one K. I was also pinch hit for once again by Juan Whyte, who struck out- I think I could have done that just as well as he...haha. We lost again, 6-4 and Thomas Rascoe, my nemesis playing 3rd base, hit into a triple play in the eighth of a two run game.

I bounced back, to say the least, on tuesday with my best game so far. I went 3-4 with 4 RBIs and hit my first homerun as a pro in the eighth inning. We were winning by six at the time, so the clutch factor didn't exactly rate to the Reggie Jackon level, but I'll take it nonetheless.

I still am puzzled by the skipper playing Rascoe at 3rd instead of me. I am better than he is, for sure. It's not like he is tearing it up at the plate, either. Even with my crappy first month, I have more RBIs, runs, walks, and HR (one is one more than he has). I also have half as many Ks as Rascoe. Maybe soon. I hope.

Anyway, the Dragons went 3-3 on the week, our best since the quick start to the season. I got pinch hit for again on thursday after an 0-2 start to the game. Started a new hitting streak (all the way up to 2 games now) and scored three runs on friday and saturday, combined. For whatever reason, we were off again sunday.

Another hot week for Riley Navraj of Pittsburgh in AA with a .333 average and four HRs. Devil Ray Frank Justice hit .400 for the week while Owen HUnter, the Texas catcher, hit .348.One of these weeks I will get it going like that, I just know it.

Neither Kansas City (Mario Vizcaino) nor Milwaukee (K.A. Ton) are doing well in the pro standings. THe Royals are already 10 games out with an 11-18 record while the Brewers are tied with my Reds in the National League Central at 13-16. That's actually par for the division though as they are just 2 back of the Cards so far.

New rankings are out for the future prospect list. Somehow I have only dropped two spots, to #33, even though I have stunk it up thus far. Other rankings are:
  • Owen Hunter #4 (+6)
  • Rob Nielsen #5 (+6)
  • Wahoo McDaniel #6 (-2)
  • Frank Justice #7 (+10)
  • Riley Navraj #10 (-5)
  • K.A. Ton #11 (-3)
  • Jeff NIghts #12 (+20, injury and all)
  • Mario Vizcaino #13 (-10)
  • Grady Hatcher #18 (+19)
  • Dennis Adkins #19 (+10)
  • Nuke LaLoosh #32 (+7)
  • Al Mighty #33 (-2)
  • Jace Hunter #55 (-28)
  • Kai Nagata #61 (-47)
  • AJ Tucker #63 (-41)
  • Joseph Keene #65 (-17)
  • Tim Moungey unranked (wasn't ranked before either)
Old 07-01-2006, 01:21 AM   #39
thealmighty
Pro Starter

This Week
G
GS
W
L
SV
ERA
Inn
HA
R
ER
BB
K
MR
Tim Moungey
Min
A
SP
Kai Nagata
Colo
AA
SP
Nuke LaLoosh
Chi (A)
A
CL
Rob Nielsen
S D
AAA
G
AB
H
2B
3B
HR
RBI
R
BB
K
AVG
SB
C
Mario Vizcaino
K C
Maj
2B
Jace Hunter
Cle
AA
SS
Jeff Nights
Flo
A
RF
AJ Tucker
Mon
AAA
RF
Grady Hatcher
Cubs
AA
2B
Dennis Adkins
Mets
AAA
SS
K.A. Ton
Mil
Maj
1B
Frank Justice
T B
AAA
RF
Joseph Keene
Min
AAA
C
Owen Hunter
Tex
AAA
3B
Riley Navraj
Pitt
AA
2B
Wahoo McDaniel
Det
AA
3B
Al Mighty
Cin
A
Season Totals
G
GS
W
L
SV
ERA
Inn
HA
R
ER
BB
K
RP
Tim Moungey
Min
A
SP
Kai Nagata
Colo
AA
SP
Nuke LaLoosh
Chi (A)
A
CL
Rob Nielsen
S D
AAA
G
AB
H
2B
3B
HR
RBI
R
BB
K
AVG
SB
C
Mario Vizcaino
K C
Maj
2B
Jace Hunter
Cle
AA
SS
Jeff Nights
Flo
A
RF
AJ Tucker
Mon
AAA
RF
Grady Hatcher
Cubs
AA
2B
Dennis Adkins
Mets
AAA
SS
K.A. Ton
Mil
Maj
1B
Frank Justice
T B
AAA
RF
Joseph Keene
Min
AAA
C
Owen Hunter
Tex
AAA
3B
Riley Navraj
Pitt
AA
2B
Wahoo McDaniel
Det
AA
3B
Al Mighty
Cin
A
Old 07-01-2006, 01:20 PM   #40
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Finally, some power!
Old 07-02-2006, 12:59 AM   #41
thealmighty
Pro Starter

IV. Disappointment

I thought I had turned the corner. I thought I had grasped more of what I needed to do. I thought I had a read on the pitching at this level. I thought...but I guess I was wrong.

The team kicked ass, going 6-0 for the week. Thursday, we beat St. Louis 23-8, knocking out 25 hits. I was 2-4 in the game (my only good game of the week) and still was pinch hit for in the ninth. That WOULD be no biggie except noone else was pinch hit for- just me. I was pinch hit for on wednesday as well after going 1-3, but monday and tuesday, when I was a combined 0-6 (had two walks and a SF as well), no pinch hitter. If I want to stay in a game, I have to take an 0-fer, it seems, while when I get a hit, I am pulled. No way to get some momentum, to get that extra boost I need to get myself really grooved.

Hitting .200 for the week won't get me noticed, but Thomas Rascoe, the other third baseman had a great week. Maybe they will call him up to AA and I can get some field time. I think that would help me out a great deal in my struggles at the plate. I hope it would, anyway.

Most of my draft mates had crappy weeks as well, though a couple had great news. Rob Nielsen of San Diego was injured last week with a strained back. That can't be good for a pitcher, but I heard he should be back next week, so not too bad. The Mets called up second baseman Dennis Adkins to the Show, making a total of three of our draft class to have made it. Also, Twin RF Joseph Keene is now at AAA. Nuke LaLoosh of the White Sox is leading all American League A-ball pitchers with his 66 Ks.

Oh, I checked and the rookies in the majors are all making $300,000 for their salary. I wonder when they get to sign a new contract and get some real money?
Old 07-02-2006, 01:00 AM   #42
thealmighty
Pro Starter

This Week
G
GS
W
L
SV
ERA
Inn
HA
R
ER
BB
K
MR
Tim Moungey
Min
A
SP
Kai Nagata
Colo
AA
SP
Nuke LaLoosh
Chi (A)
A
CL
Rob Nielsen
S D
AAA
G
AB
H
2B
3B
HR
RBI
R
BB
K
AVG
SB
C
Mario Vizcaino
K C
Maj
2B
Jace Hunter
Cle
AA
SS
Jeff Nights
Flo
A
RF
AJ Tucker
Mon
AAA
RF
Grady Hatcher
Cubs
AA
2B
Dennis Adkins
Mets
Maj
SS
K.A. Ton
Mil
Maj
1B
Frank Justice
T B
AAA
RF
Joseph Keene
Min
AAA
C
Owen Hunter
Tex
AAA
3B
Riley Navraj
Pitt
AA
2B
Wahoo McDaniel
Det
AA
3B
Al Mighty
Cin
A
Season Totals
G
GS
W
L
SV
ERA
Inn
HA
R
ER
BB
K
RP
Tim Moungey
Min
A
SP
Kai Nagata
Colo
AA
SP
Nuke LaLoosh
Chi (A)
A
CL
Rob Nielsen
S D
AAA
G
AB
H
2B
3B
HR
RBI
R
BB
K
AVG
SB
C
Mario Vizcaino
K C
Maj
2B
Jace Hunter
Cle
AA
SS
Jeff Nights
Flo
A
RF
AJ Tucker
Mon
AAA
RF
Grady Hatcher
Cubs
AA
2B
Dennis Adkins
Mets
Maj
SS
K.A. Ton
Mil
Maj
1B
Frank Justice
T B
AAA
RF
Joseph Keene
Min
AAA
C
Owen Hunter
Tex
AAA
3B
Riley Navraj
Pitt
AA
2B
Wahoo McDaniel
Det
AA
3B
Al Mighty
Cin
A
Old 07-02-2006, 02:14 PM   #43
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Wow Keene got called up to AAA and now he is ripping the ball, nice week for him.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 04:44 PM   #44
thealmighty
Pro Starter

V. A Breakthrough?

I may have turned the corner. Or not? I may have figured this out. Or not? It was an all-or-nothing kind of week for me as, in the six games we played, I had three multi-hit games and three 0-fer games. All told I finally had a very nice average for the week of .350 but I had no RBIs or extra base hits. I only struck out once the whole week but I had no walks, either. Who knows?

I was pinch hit for twice again this week and neither time made sense to me. Wednesday was in the 8th of an easy 7-3 win while sunday was in the 7th of a 7-1 loss while I was hitting .350 for the week at the time. Don't get it at all.

The Dragons reverted to form, unfortunately. After extending our win streak to 8 games, we proceeded to lose 4 of 5 to end the week.

It was an up and down week for the draftees. The good news is that we had another promotion as Cubs RF Grady "Train" Hatcher was promoted to AAA. The big bummer is that San Diego pitcher Rob Nielsen, in the midst of throwing 6 shutout innings last tuesday after being put back in the starting rotation, suffered another injury. This one is more severe as Rob will be out 2-3 weeks with a pulled rotator cuff. At least it wasn't torn, I guess.

Nobody in our class has an average above .300 for the season at this point. Of course, some have been promoted all over the place and not had time, maybe, to adjust. However, at least I feel my average is on the upswing and not the downswing. Of course, as I have found out, next week comes- no matter how we might like to keep this week and a .350 average in our sights- and last week doesn't count.
Old 07-02-2006, 04:45 PM   #45
thealmighty
Pro Starter

This Week
G
GS
W
L
SV
ERA
Inn
HA
R
ER
BB
K
MR
Tim Moungey
Min
A
SP
Kai Nagata
Colo
AA
SP
Nuke LaLoosh
Chi (A)
A
SP
Rob Nielsen
S D
AAA
G
AB
H
2B
3B
HR
RBI
R
BB
K
AVG
SB
C
Mario Vizcaino
K C
Maj
2B
Jace Hunter
Cle
AA
SS
Jeff Nights
Flo
A
RF
AJ Tucker
Mon
AAA
RF
Grady Hatcher
Cubs
AA
2B
Dennis Adkins
Mets
Maj
SS
K.A. Ton
Mil
Maj
1B
Frank Justice
T B
AAA
RF
Joseph Keene
Min
AAA
C
Owen Hunter
Tex
AAA
3B
Riley Navraj
Pitt
AA
2B
Wahoo McDaniel
Det
AA
3B
Al Mighty
Cin
A
Season Totals
G
GS
W
L
SV
ERA
Inn
HA
R
ER
BB
K
RP
Tim Moungey
Min
A
SP
Kai Nagata
Colo
AA
SP
Nuke LaLoosh
Chi (A)
A
SP
Rob Nielsen
S D
AAA
G
AB
H
2B
3B
HR
RBI
R
BB
K
AVG
SB
C
Mario Vizcaino
K C
Maj
2B
Jace Hunter
Cle
AA
SS
Jeff Nights
Flo
A
RF
AJ Tucker
Mon
AAA
RF
Grady Hatcher
Cubs
AA
2B
Dennis Adkins
Mets
Maj
SS
K.A. Ton
Mil
Maj
1B
Frank Justice
T B
AAA
RF
Joseph Keene
Min
AAA
C
Owen Hunter
Tex
AAA
3B
Riley Navraj
Pitt
AA
2B
Wahoo McDaniel
Det
AA
3B
Al Mighty
Cin
A
Old 07-02-2006, 04:47 PM   #46
thealmighty
Pro Starter

if you see any mistakes let me know. I am not FrogMan, Jr. when it comes to Excel...or writing.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:04 PM   #47
Blade
College Prospect

Wow...Kai's ERA just doesn't want to get respectable at all!

Loyal fan of the Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Eagles.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 01:58 AM   #48
thealmighty
Pro Starter

This is really pissing me off. I had an average week. Ok, I see that, but how am I supposed to improve if they keep pinch hitting for me several times every fucking week;what's the damn deal. The Cubs just called RF Grady Hatcher to the majors- after ONE game of AAA where he was 1-4 with a HR. One game at AAA and he's now in the big leagues. Good for the "Train" and all, I'm happy for another draftmate to succeed, but it just doesn't make any sense to me why Cincinnati is handling me this way?

What kind of idiots draft someone in the first round, give him $1 million+
and then don't play him in the field and keep hitting for him late in games. The Dragons/we went 2-3 this week and are now way out of the picture in the A league standings. This is supposed to be a developmental level, I would have to think. If I wanted to get pinch hit for all the time I could've just stayed home and hacked myself into Front Office Baseball or something.

Enough diatribe stuff. I did actually hit my first ever double- scary that it took almost two months- and my second HR, but my walks are now nonexistent and I'm not scoring runs like I need to. Of course that's not so easy batting eighth on a losing team, but if I was on base more they would come I think.

Anyway, I checked up on Rob Nielsen and he is day-to-day now, though it could be up to another week according to the report.

I was also wondering about the now four of our draft class in the majors so I looked up what they were up against. Of course, two of them are already starting, K.A. Ton of the Brewers and Kansas City catcher Mario Vizcaino. Met second baseman Dennis Adkins and Cub RF Grady Hatcher are actually in good spots for the future if they can make the transition. Adkins is playing behind a 35 year old who is hitting just .240 while Hatcher is backing up a 34 year old hitting .262. Both may be in the Bigs for a long time to come.

Oh, and I need to get my head on straight because my family is supposed to come see me play next week- my mom, dad, brother and one of my sisters (I have 4 sisters). My brother may be a pro player in a few years too. He is 15 and just as good as me. Well, maybe close anyway. My girlfriend, Lisa, is not coming, which sucks since she is out of school now. I guess, really, I don't know if I have a girlfriend or not. Maybe it's better if I don't since I am (please, please, please) not going to be here for long. In fact, maybe if Cincy just trades me to a team that will give me what I need, that would be cool.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:00 AM   #49
thealmighty
Pro Starter

This Week
G
GS
W
L
SV
ERA
Inn
HA
R
ER
BB
K
MR
Tim Moungey
Min
A
SP
Kai Nagata
Colo
AA
SP
Nuke LaLoosh
Chi (A)
A
SP
Rob Nielsen
S D
AAA
G
AB
H
2B
3B
HR
RBI
R
BB
K
AVG
SB
C
Mario Vizcaino
K C
Maj
2B
Jace Hunter
Cle
AA
SS
Jeff Nights
Flo
A
RF
AJ Tucker
Mon
AAA
RF
Grady Hatcher
Cubs
Maj
2B
Dennis Adkins
Mets
Maj
SS
K.A. Ton
Mil
Maj
1B
Frank Justice
T B
AAA
RF
Joseph Keene
Min
AAA
C
Owen Hunter
Tex
AAA
3B
Riley Navraj
Pitt
AA
2B
Wahoo McDaniel
Det
AA
3B
Al Mighty
Cin
A
Season Totals
G
GS
W
L
SV
ERA
Inn
HA
R
ER
BB
K
RP
Tim Moungey
Min
A
SP
Kai Nagata
Colo
AA
SP
Nuke LaLoosh
Chi (A)
A
SP
Rob Nielsen
S D
AAA
G
AB
H
2B
3B
HR
RBI
R
BB
K
AVG
SB
C
Mario Vizcaino
K C
Maj
2B
Jace Hunter
Cle
AA
SS
Jeff Nights
Flo
A
RF
AJ Tucker
Mon
AAA
RF
Grady Hatcher
Cubs
Maj
2B
Dennis Adkins
Mets
Maj
SS
K.A. Ton
Mil
Maj
1B
Frank Justice
T B
AAA
RF
Joseph Keene
Min
AAA
C
Owen Hunter
Tex
AAA
3B
Riley Navraj
Pitt
AA
2B
Wahoo McDaniel
Det
AA
3B
Al Mighty
Cin
A
Old 07-04-2006, 03:28 AM   #50
Icy
Pro Starter

I'm struggling on hitting in the majors. My average is going down and down, at least i'm showing them my power with 5HR's so far.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote