Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-02-2013, 08:33 AM   #1851
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Most impressive to me, Ben, is that you've done all this with an infant. That is no small additional detail!
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:18 AM   #1852
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbes View Post
Most impressive to me, Ben, is that you've done all this with an infant. That is no small additional detail!
Credit for that goes primarily to my wife for sacrificing some of her free time to make sure I have time to exercise, and secondarily to my daughters--the infant for having an absurdly predictable sleep schedule, and the 4-year-old for her flexibility in the mornings with not seeming to care if Mommy or Daddy is going to prep her breakfast. (I do it if she gets up before I leave; the wife does it if after.) The infant is so predictable in the mornings that I can pretty much always time the return of my run to feed and dress her if my wife is needing some help on any particular morning.

On another note, I'm glad I'm not high strung, or I'd be freaking out this morning. Some of you are aware that I had hernia surgery yesterday morning. Well, my one-day weight gain from that is so high that my Withings scale does not recognize the person who weighed as being me! (It can track up to eight different people, and I assume it does so by per-day weight fluctuation.) I was 185.1 on it yesterday morning, 191.7 on it this morning, a 6.6-pound increase despite being under budget for the week and more than 400 calories under budget per day for Thursday and Friday, and the scale gave the "new user" message. I'm assuming some massive water retention due to the swelling and all.

For perspective on that weight gain, since starting to use LoseIt 8 months ago and weighing virtually every day, only once have I shown a one-day gain of more than 1.5 pounds, and that was the day after I ate about probably 3-4 pounds of ribs at a party I catered. It was a Saturday afternoon/evening event, I cook killer ribs, and I had a 13.1-mile run scheduled for Sunday morning, so I decided to throw down, knowing I'd lose the weight back quickly with that long run. I showed a 4.8-pound gain on Sunday morning, a 4.0 loss on Monday morning, and by Wednesday of that week I was back to my pre-ribs weight. So, yeah, 6.8 pounds given that I wasn't allowed to eat or drink anything until around 1pm yesterday--and all I had was two lighter-than-average meals because I didn't feel very hungry--is kinda epic.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 09-07-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:22 AM   #1853
Ben E Lou

Dola:

For those who use tracking stuff like Hacker's Diet, I'm kinda thinking that I'm not going to record this due to what I assume would be the introduction of some pretty serious noise to the calculations. Thoughts? Maybe wait until I'm back to 185ish and then just record 185 for every day in between? Not sure what to do with this data...
Old 09-08-2013, 03:18 AM   #1854
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Well, I'm continue to fail fairly epically and doing the yo-yo. Keep saying I'll join this thread again when I'm doing something about it consistently(yeah right). My weigh-in day is Monday: my commitment is to post here on that day every week no matter how horrifyingly bad I'm doing at self-control.

And good on those of you who are living healthy! .
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #1855
revrew
Team Chaplain

Not to sound like some kind of advertisement, but I'm down 10 pounds this month after making only 1 change to my diet.

For the last 30 days, I haven't eaten any wheat. I still eat carbs - potatoes, rice, fruit, even chocolate and sugar - this is no Atkins, but my research convinced me today's wheat has been bred and modified so far from the wheat our ancient forefathers ate that it has gone from healthy to unhealthy.

So in the effort to drop some weight and bring my triglycerides back under control, I've decided to do an experiment based on a local doctor's anecdotal evidence. She has had patients drop 40 pounds and their triglycerides by hundreds of points by cutting out wheat. Figured I'd give it a shot.

So far, if nothing else, I've discovered cutting out breads has decreased my appetite. I'm eating more meat and veggies, perhaps more oats by default. I still really miss doughnuts, but after doing this for 3 weeks, I was able to pull the toppings off pizza and eat it without the crust (from a quality pizza place, mind you) without pangs or feeling cheated.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:25 AM   #1856
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Decent weekend has me down a pound or so to 331.1 for today's weigh-in. Cutting out the garbage when I'm at work(which is most of the time), less soda more water, and not eating my stress as much are the things I need to work on the most right now.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #1857
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Dola:

For those who use tracking stuff like Hacker's Diet, I'm kinda thinking that I'm not going to record this due to what I assume would be the introduction of some pretty serious noise to the calculations. Thoughts? Maybe wait until I'm back to 185ish and then just record 185 for every day in between? Not sure what to do with this data...
I decided to enter it in. My chart now looks pretty goofy.

Old 09-16-2013, 06:52 PM   #1858
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Woke up late for work(slap self) so I didn't do a proper weigh-in today. Having said that, I was trending at about 330, about a pound loss for the week, so I'm going with that. Still eating too much garbage, for multiple reasons, but it was better. My goal this week is to bring healthy food with me more often(and take advantadge of it).
Old 09-17-2013, 07:39 AM   #1859
Kodos
Resident Alien

Bringing healthy food with you is definitely key. Much easier to find garbage food when you are out and about. Healthy eating takes planning. I always bring grapes, bananas, and lunch with me. Plus my morning fruit smoothie.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #1860
Radii
Head Coach

Good News:

I posted back in June that I was no longer taking any medication to control my blood sugar, and was on sort of a "trial run" to see how I do without it. I saw my doctor for some other issues today and decided to go ahead and do the diabetic followup visit today as well. My last two A1C readings were both 5.1%, we expected it to go back up without the blood sugar meds, but as long as it stayed under 6.5% we would be happy and I could stay off the medication... today's result....... 5.0%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So even if you haven't evr dealt with diabetes and don't know what any of those numbers mean, my doctor felt I had strong enough control over my blood sugar that I could try it without medicine, and its EVEN BETTER NOW. So that's pretty fucking spectacular.

I've eaten more fruits and veggies, and exercised more this year than I have in well over a decade, I'm sure that has everything to do with this.

Bad News:

My weight has gotten back on the wrong side of 300. Still making sure to eat some fruits and veggies every day, but I've seriously been losing the battle with fast food for 2 straight months now. My high point was 350 and my weight loss has been very, very slow, I'll lose 5-10 pounds and stagnate for months, then lose 5-10 more. But this is the first time I've gained any back (my low was 294.8 I think... so I've gained 6 pounds back over the last 2 months). Obviously I know exactly what to do to fix it and get going in the right direction again, but for some reason my motivation is just nil right now.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #1861
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

But your blood sugar is great, so that's awesome Radii!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #1862
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Great news on the blood sugar Radii. Good luck with the battle against fast food. Its tough, I have fast food craving all the time too. Be strong, you can do it!

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #1863
Ben E Lou

That's awesome on the blood sugar. Great to hear.

On the fast food, since I started the blog, I have been shocked at the percentage of the private communications I've gotten--mainly from old friends from high school and earlier--that ask how to avoid fast food. I wish I had an easy answer to that one. I *think* the fact that I pre-plan (and pre-enter into the LoseIt app) all of my meals for the day helps with sticking to the plan, but I'm not really sure.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:46 PM   #1864
Kodos
Resident Alien

Watch The Trailer » Escape Fire

Great job, Radii. I find movies like the one above or Forks Over Knives help remotivate me when I get into a slump. I get pissed off at the food industry's prioritizing of profits over providing healthy food for their customers. It makes me want to eat healthier in spite of Big Food.

Salt Sugar Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us: Michael Moss: 9781400069804: Amazon.com: Books

This book also helped drive home the point that Big Food would rather have you die than lower their profit margins.
Old 09-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #1865
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
On the fast food, since I started the blog, I have been shocked at the percentage of the private communications I've gotten--mainly from old friends from high school and earlier--that ask how to avoid fast food. I wish I had an easy answer to that one. I *think* the fact that I pre-plan (and pre-enter into the LoseIt app) all of my meals for the day helps with sticking to the plan, but I'm not really sure.

Yeah that's pretty much where I'm at. I've clearly done it for short periods of time, so I know exactly where to start and what to do. I bought a crock pot and made a few things in it that were quite good and created meals that lasted a couple days for 3 people (mom and sister). In May and June I was cooking 3 nights a week on average and mom was cooking one or two. It was working nicely, but I basically learned that I don't really enjoy cooking. Also, some family friction involved of course. I could find 3 or 4 very easy things I liked and repeat them once or twice a week for a very long time, but after like a week and a half, everyone else in the house is like "that again? I'll pass" and then I feel like a dick just cooking for me.

I dunno, just rambling I know what I need to do but doing it still feels like a huge pain in the ass, even with the very, very clear benefits to my health and how I feel day to day.

I also know there are interim steps in between where I am now and cooking a ton. I've made an effort to get more sandwich stuff in the house (we use 12 grain wheat bread, better than white, not better than none at all, etc), and make sure to microwave a bag of those birds eye steam fresh veggies once a day, so that if I'm lacking the motivation to cook I at least have enough options try to keep me in the house instead of at a restaurant or a drive thru.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:46 PM   #1866
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

I used to be a chronic fast foodie...especially breakfast and lunch. I used to hit McDonalds on the way to work and pick up two sausage mcmuffins and a large coffee a couple times a week. Or else it was Tim Horton's for a sausage and cheese biscuit and coffee. Then lunchtime would routinely see me eating at McDonalds, Wendy's, or Dairy Queen. Ugh. I mean, I really enjoy Subway but the closest one is twice as far away as all of the other "bad" fast food joints. Just plain laziness on my part.

It's been 5 weeks or so since I've started to smarten up and like Ben suggests, planning is the key. I have two little girls and a wife that I have to worry about for supper so the first little while had it's moments because my wife didn't want to be making 2 or 3 things for dinner every night so we have teamed up to try and plan more to make sure my dietary change is not causing any extra stress on an already hectic household. I also spend some time throughout the week chopping fresh vegetables (celery, carrots, cucumber, and bell peppers) to make sure there is an easy snack available for the evening munchies and lunches.

I prefer leftovers for lunches so I always try to make sure to make extra protein at supper time so I have enough for the next day or two and the same goes for sides. I'm not particularly fussy when it comes to variety for my meals, but I know eating the same foods over and over again isn't everybody's cup of tea.

Good luck, man.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:03 AM   #1867
Ben E Lou

100 pounds down, maybe 5-ish to go.

From Fat To Fit At 44: Down 100 Pounds in 8 1/2 Months
Old 09-20-2013, 09:53 AM   #1868
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Awesome job Ben!

Old 09-20-2013, 01:15 PM   #1869
Radii
Head Coach

Congrats Ben, that's awesome!
Old 09-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #1870
finketr
College Prospect

conrgats, ben.
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:36 AM   #1871
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

That is amazing stuff. Well done!
Old 09-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #1872
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Wow!
Old 09-21-2013, 08:47 PM   #1873
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Top shelf stuff, Ben...way to go!

A quick note on my current favorite side for pretty much any protein and a serving of vegetables...mushroom-quinoa pilaf.

http://www.kraftcanada.com/en/recipe...af-150103.aspx

I use olive oil instead of the salad dressing because I couldn't be bothered to buy it just for one recipe and I'm sure it's full of chemicals, anyway.

Enjoy!

Last edited by johnnyshaka : 09-21-2013 at 09:10 PM.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #1874
Ben E Lou

Pretty busy lately. Didn't do a full end-of-September post, but the bottom line is that I'm holding steady in the mid-170s now. I was looking back at some old progress photos, and this particular comparison is probably the most...shocking. First pic was taken on 3/23/2013 (246 lbs). 2nd was 10/1/2013 (176 lbs). Even though I've lived it, I'm having a hard time getting my head around that fact that these two pics were taken just 6 months and 9 days apart:

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 10-07-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:48 AM   #1875
Kodos
Resident Alien

You look like the guy on the left's little brother.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #1876
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
You look like the guy on the left's little brother.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:32 AM   #1877
Ben E Lou

I've been way less fastidious about hitting my calorie goal every day this month, and it has shown in that I've actually had a small net gain to date in October. I still have a bit of a belly pooch that I'd like to reduce/eliminate, so I don't consider myself to be in maintenance mode quite yet. So of course, the way get back to losing weight is...to eat more.

Actually, the plan IS to increase my calorie budget...and actually hit the budget. I think the biggest part of the reason I have gone over the daily budget more this month is that it was getting a little too low for my level of activity and proximity to ideal weight, so I was finding myself hungry and then just grabbing something to satiate myself. I've changed my goal at LoseIt to the lowest weight loss increment available: "lose 1/2 pound per week," thereby increasing my daily calorie budget to around 2200, and I've renewed my commitment to stay within 50 calories of the goal every day. I am also going to make one exception to that: once I'm back at 175 or less (probably in the next 3-4 days,) if I burn more than 500 calories in a day by exercising, I will eat extra to get the net back to 500. In other words, if I burn 800 calories in a day, I'll eat an extra 300. Basically my desire at this point is to keep as much of my remaining lean mass as possible while slowly dropping excess fat. My next race is on March 1st. I'd like to be around 10-12% body fat by then, so something like 165 with 148 lean and 17 fat. Based on my measurements as of this morning, it looks like I'm at around 15.3%: 150 lean and 27 fat.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:22 PM   #1878
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Rededicating myself, again, to losing the last five to ten pounds. My issue is a struggle to eat enough calories to maintain blood sugar above 80 during the course of the day while also eating few enough calories to wear off these last few pounds. I'm not, by nature, as good at calorie counting as Ben. So let's try the following goals:

1. A sensible, mindful snack for blood sugar purposes is okay.
2. Cramming chocolate chips into my face because I'm stressed is NOT OKAY.
3. Drinking coffee is okay, but water is better.
4. Drinking gin and tonics is okay, but water is better.
5. Back on the wagon with strength training.
6. Grazing heavily while preparing dinner is not okay. WAIT UNTIL DINNER.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #1879
BYU 14
Coordinator

I know the Holiday season is a weird time to start this, but I basically just got sick of staying on a plateau with as much as I work out and decided to do it.

As I said I work out 5-6 days a week, sometimes twice a day when I double up on cardio and strength training. Eat very healthy 6 days of the week, with a cheat day, that I often overdue.

I decided to use the Lose-it site/app that Ben uses, with a target of 1.5 pounds per week. It was apparent very quickly, how off I was in portion control. An example is I have Egg whites with fat free Feta cheese every day for breakfast. After starting to measure 2 actual Egg whites vs. just pouring them into a pan from the container, I realized I had actually probably been eating 5 or 6 before. The difference in 1 week has been amazing, with no changes at all to my workout routine.

Goals:
Weight: 190 (I am 6' tall and have an above average frame)
Body fat: 21-22 % (For a 50 year old man, fit/fair is 23-26%, slim/healthy is 20-23%)
I set the Lose it site goal for weight loss of 1.5 pounds a week, which puts me at my target weight on March 9th (my Birthday)

Monday December 16th
Weight: 208.0
Body Fat: 25.2%
Muscle Mass: 33.6%
(Scale also does bone density and water weight %, not concerned with those as much)

Monday December 23rd
Weight: 201.2 (- 6.8)
Body Fat: 24%
Muscle Mass: 34%
Adjusted goal date: February 14th

The Lose it site has been an invaluable resource and it is amazing how much insight it has given me. A perfect example is yesterday when my planned cheat meal of Sushi, turned into Red Robin, which totally obliterated my calorie budget for the day by noon. I weighed in yesterday at 202.8 and normally I don't work out on Sunday, so I would have had my normal dinner and ended up about 500-600 calories over for the day and weighed around 204 this morning.

With the app, to get back to my adjusted calorie budget I had to do two 45 minute cardio sessions and cut my dinner down to a green drink of 2 cups spinach, 1/2 an Apple and 3 almonds (82 calories). So, even though I knew my issue, this was total in your face proof, I was able to adjust as needed and it paid off in a loss of 1.6 pounds, despite the completely crappy lunch.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 08:47 AM   #1880
BYU 14
Coordinator

Not a shocker over the Holiday, with 2 days of eating way out of my norm, gained 4 pounds, despite exercising as always. I think the "cheat" day concept hurts even worse on the type of diet I am doing, so I will watch that. This week will likely see limited loss again, but after the Holiday it will be strict, 7 days a week. I lost way more than expected week 1 and at a 1.5 pound a week loss goal I am still more or less in line.

Goals:
Body fat: 21-22 % (For a 50 year old man, fit/fair is 23-26%, slim/healthy is 20-23%)
I set the Lose it site goal for weight loss of 1.5 pounds a week, which puts me at my target weight on March 9th (my Birthday)

Monday December 16th
(Scale also does bone density and water weight %, not concerned with those as much)

Monday December 23rd

Monday December 30th
Weight: 205.2 (- 2.8)
Body Fat: 24.7%
Adjusted goal date: March 11th
Old 01-04-2014, 11:36 AM   #1881
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Moving the wrong way again. Geezum crow.

Basically lost about 40 pounds over a year to get within 5 pounds of goal but have either not made progress or lost ground over the past year, now about 10 pounds away from goal. I need some other component or game plan for this last stretch...
Old 01-06-2014, 08:44 AM   #1882
BYU 14
Coordinator

Managed to drop 2 pounds over the New Years party week, which is good, since we went out twice and also hit 1 party and hosted a get together. back on track to reach my goal before my birthday on March 9th, and I expect weekly weight loss to average between 2-4 pounds now, which will get me there much sooner.

Goals:

Monday December 16th

Monday December 23rd

Monday December 30th

Monday January 6th
Weight: 203.2 (- 4.8)
Body Fat: 24.3%
Muscle Mass: 33.8%
Adjusted goal date: March 8th
Old 01-13-2014, 07:32 AM   #1883
BYU 14
Coordinator

Got as low as 200.8 during the week, and hit calorie budget or less every day but 1 and exercised all 7 days. Think the reason I spiked up today is we got takeout Chinese yesterday and despite staying around the calorie limit, the sodium probably killed it. It is amazing when you go away from eating hardly any processed foods, how just one meal like that affects you.

Goals:

Monday December 16th

Monday December 23rd

Monday December 30th

Monday January 6th

Monday January 13th
Weight: 202.0 (- 6)
Body Fat: 24.1%
Muscle Mass: 33.9%
Adjusted goal date: March 10th
Old 01-13-2014, 08:43 AM   #1884
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I never worry about just one meal, especially if I ate out as long as I eat within my limits and don't pig out. Chances are you are correct the sodium messed with your water weight a bit and it will work itself out in another day or two.

Great job on the weight loss so far, keep it up!

Old 01-13-2014, 06:40 PM   #1885
sabotai
General Manager

Found my way back up to 225 from 217 a few months ago. Got lazy. Time to get my ass back in gear.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:55 AM   #1886
Alf
Pro Starter

I might as well add myself to the list here. I just reached my highest weight ever last week (post Christmas + New year's vacation is always a year high). And since I still play basketball and squash, I can really tell the difference a couple of kilograms make. IMC is on the verge on moving from overweigth to obese so now is the perfect time to act.

I am not going to do any kind of diet or extra sports to start with (as my schedule is alreay super tight and I don't want to wake up earlier to run 45 minutes in the dark). My initial idea is to simply "think" more of what I am eating in the "keep it simple stupid" rule.

The other objective in posting here is that by making it public, it will force me to not cheat on myself (yes, I'm a lazy ass and can cheat on me at times).

Enough talking, more facts. There we go as my morning weighting.

Size : 1.83m (6 feet)
Age : 43 (technically I am 42 but will hit 43 in 2 months)

Tuesday Jan 14 2014
Weight : 92kg (202 lbs) (all time high)
IMC : 27.47 (overweight is 25-31, fit is 19-25)
IMG : 26.66 (normal is 15-20%)

Thinking about Goals
According to various formulas, my ideal weight range from 75kg (165 lbs) to 79kg (174 lbs) depending if you take age into account). Back to my young and uber sporty years (3+ hours per day + wery healthy eating) my lowest weight was 72kg (158 lbs) and I really looked skinny at that weight. No way I can go back to that weight given my age and my motivation. That's simply reality check.

Over the past 3 years, I tried focusing more or less on my weight and I managed to get relatively good sucess given the amount of effort I provide so I know I can do it. For the record I went as low as 86kg (190lbs).

Weight Goals
Short-term : get as quickly as possible below 90kg (Feb 28 would be ideal)
Mid-term : get in the 85-86kg area before next winter
Longer term : stabilize at 85-86 and identify the level of effort to go down to 79kg

You guys posting here are a truely motivating part. Let's hope I can stay focused.

Last edited by Alf : 01-14-2014 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Added IMG
Alf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:16 AM   #1887
BYU 14
Coordinator

A good week that saw my as low as 197.2 Saturday, but we had our Football Banquet Saturday and always go out afterward, so I ate let then and had Pizza yesterday. I went way over calorie budget Saturday, despite splitting a meal with my wife, though 4 glasses of wine kind of negated that. The Pizza I actually ordered "healthy" (Chicken, Spinach, Mushrooms, Onions) and went with the lowest calorie crust. Now that I am done with events and the holidays are over, it will be a strict one day a week where I vary from my regimented daily diet and even then it will be controlling calories. Exercised all 7 days this week (Cardio all days, lifting 4) - Still under 200 for the first time on weigh in day and just over halfway home!

Goals:

Monday December 16th

Monday December 23rd

Monday December 30th

Monday January 6th

Monday January 13th

Monday January 20th
Weight: 198.8 (- 9.2)
Body Fat: 23.5%
Muscle Mass: 34.2%
Adjusted goal date: March 3rd
Old 01-20-2014, 02:06 PM   #1888
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

BYU, I didn't know you were using Lose It too. I lost 40 lbs, from 203 to about 162-163, in about 6 months and have been maintaining for almost a year now. You're on your way, keep at it and you'll succeed.

Tried to find you on Lose It but couldn't...

FM
Old 01-20-2014, 03:01 PM   #1889
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
BYU, I didn't know you were using Lose It too. I lost 40 lbs, from 203 to about 162-163, in about 6 months and have been maintaining for almost a year now. You're on your way, keep at it and you'll succeed.

Tried to find you on Lose It but couldn't...

FM

I really like it, makes it like a competition to me, LOL. Really eye opening to see all along it was portions, not food choice that was killing me, though I pretty much knew that having it in your face is very helpful.

Edit, I found you and sent a friend request

Last edited by BYU 14 : 01-20-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:37 PM   #1890
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

it definitely was an eye opener for me too. I never was really obese, from a numbers standpoint, but I was overweight at 203 and 5'11". I sorta knew it, kinda felt like I had a few pounds to shed, but was okay with it, kinda. Then I had enough and started using Lose It and sometimes, I'm almost ashamed of how relatively easy it was to lose the weight by simply counting them calories. I never cut myself of anything I really like. I mean, I still ate wings during football season, and some potato chips on gameday and some Mondays, I had gained half a pound or so, but I got back to it right then and there.

I lost 35 of those 40 pounds before I even started exercising for real (running in my case). I was doing maybe 30 minutes of karate practice per week and about 9-10 hours of teaching karate, which comes to mostly walking around, demonstrating and explaining a technique here or there but never really exerting myself. Then when I got into running, and I was in maintenance, I had to keep on adjusting my budget and started eating back my exercise calories cause, well, I was still losing.

Life is good now, I feel fitter and better than I have in probably 15-18 years.

FM
Old 01-22-2014, 09:52 PM   #1891
Radii
Head Coach

Since I mentioned it in the forks/knives thread in general, I figure its time to post here and get back into it.

I really shut down pretty badly over the last couple months of 2013. My exercising slowed and eventually stopped after my foot problems last year, and the good eating habits eventually followed. The lowest I weighed was 294. By the time I got ready to get my shit together again I had gained almost 30 pounds, getting back up to 323.

About 2 weeks ago I started doing the keto diet, low carb/high fat. The most success I've ever had dieting has been with low carb years ago, but I hadn't kicked sodas at the time and those cravings eventually killed it. Now I'm at a place where I haven't had a soda in a year and a half, so I'm hoping for more success this time around.

With my horrible eating in December my blood sugars had started to become a small problem again, and getting the carbs/sugar out of there immediately fixes that. I've been doing this for 2 weeks and feel better than i have in months.

Luckily, the weight seems to be falling off very quickly at least for now. In the past two weeks I've dropped from 323 to 315.

Will try to stick with it and provide updates, etc
Old 01-26-2014, 01:14 PM   #1892
MacroGuru
Coordinator

With the need for me to have Hernia surgery and being told by the Dr I need to eat better and get healthier. I am now going to join and STICK to the world of Healthy Eating and losing weight.

I am going to use lose it to track my eating, I am starting the Paleo Diet this week.

Current Weight: 226
Target Weight: 185

I stand at 5'10", I would say my build is average.

The diet is going to be critical because I can't exercise / strain much until I have the surgery. But If I can shift my eating habits to healthy in the next few weeks. I think I keep it when I am down for the few days and I won't lapse into the easy stuff.

I want to run in the Tough Mudder that is taking place here in August as well as the Zombie 5K, so once I can start running again I will incorporate the C25K + my 6 Week Training app.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:18 PM   #1893
BYU 14
Coordinator

Anyone else on here using Lose it besides Macro, FM and myself? We should get a FOFC support group going on there.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:42 PM   #1894
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Anyone else on here using Lose it besides Macro, FM and myself? We should get a FOFC support group going on there.

I am on there, and I know Ben is too. I'm not sure if anyone else is or not.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:58 PM   #1895
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

yeah, I was gonna say, the only others I know of are Ben and Alan. I don't think Alan logs much but his exercise shows up and Ben is logging but not as present as he used to be.

Me, I visit the forums about every day and often post, especially in the weekly runners thread we have in the exercise forum. Plenty of very good information in there...

FM
Old 01-26-2014, 05:11 PM   #1896
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

My weight and exercise gets logged there daily. Food logging I go through cycles with where I will log it for two weeks and then take time off and then down the road log it for two weeks again, etc.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:58 PM   #1897
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
With the need for me to have Hernia surgery and being told by the Dr I need to eat better and get healthier. I am now going to join and STICK to the world of Healthy Eating and losing weight.

I am going to use lose it to track my eating, I am starting the Paleo Diet this week.

Current Weight: 226
Target Weight: 185

I stand at 5'10", I would say my build is average.

The diet is going to be critical because I can't exercise / strain much until I have the surgery. But If I can shift my eating habits to healthy in the next few weeks. I think I keep it when I am down for the few days and I won't lapse into the easy stuff.

I want to run in the Tough Mudder that is taking place here in August as well as the Zombie 5K, so once I can start running again I will incorporate the C25K + my 6 Week Training app.

wanted to say, welcome to Lose It!

FWIW, I have not ahdered to any kind of new "diet" to lose 40 lbs, simply decided to count calories and reduce portions. I had lost 35 lbs before I actually started running. My simple activity was teaching at my dojo and while it's better than slouching on the couch, it's hardy demanding. I demonstrate some techniques but usually never did the cardio work with the students. I'm now a bit more involved, but that's because I feel like I can move with them and then still be able to talk to explain stuff

FM
Old 01-27-2014, 04:47 AM   #1898
Alf
Pro Starter

Size : 1.83m (6 feet)
Age : 43 (technically I am 42 but will hit 43 in 2 months)

Weight Goals
Short-term : get as quickly as possible below 90kg (Feb 28 would be ideal)
Mid-term : get in the 85-86kg area before next winter
Longer term : stabilize at 85-86 and identify the level of effort to go down to 79kg

Tuesday Jan 14 2014
Weight : 92kg (202 lbs) (all time high)
IMC : 27.47 (overweight is 25-31, fit is 19-25)
IMG : 26.66 (normal is 15-20%)

Monday Jan 27 2014
Weight : 91.3kg (201.3 lbs)
IMC : 27.3 (overweight is 25-31, fit is 19-25)
IMG : 26.40 (normal is 15-20%)

Not done much. I even exercised less than the first 2 weeks of January. Even went twice to restaurants and got some "junk" food at work (burgers and pizzas). I expected to go up but seems I lucked out. At least, daily weighing plus posting here will keep me focused.

Last edited by Alf : 01-27-2014 at 04:49 AM.
Alf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:31 AM   #1899
BYU 14
Coordinator

Goals:

Monday December 16th

Monday December 23rd

Monday December 30th

Monday January 6th

Monday January 13th

Monday January 20th
Weight: 198.8 (- 9.2)
Body Fat: 23.5%
Muscle Mass: 34.2%
Adjusted goal date: March 3rd

Monday January 27th
Weight: 198.4 (- 9.6)
Body Fat: 23.4%
Muscle Mass: 34.3%

Was as low as 196.8 this week, always lose ground over the weekend since we usually eat out once, even though I still count calories. I think I am going to start logging my weeks on Fridays, as that seems to be my apex for weight loss, plus it will make me feel better since weekends have always been around a pound spike

Still trending down that and staying under 200.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:28 PM   #1900
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Hope you don't mind me posting daily or every other day updates as I will probably need to do this for at least the next 2 weeks to help me focus. If I feel like I am reporting to someone, it helps.

Day 1 - So far, so good. Hit the Paleo pretty much all day, my crockpot chicken I made sunday has some cream in it, so it's not 100% paleo but it is dang close.

The one thing that shocked me was the lack of sugar cravings I had, I am a sugar / soda junkie - I think the ton of water I drank today helped fight this.