Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-24-2016, 04:20 PM   #2201
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

If you've never done keto before its a major shock to the system the first time.
But once you do, it's amazing how simple it is.
You can be sucked down the rabbit hole quickly into all sorts of tangents whether its blood lab values, body temp, etc. Lots of crazy stuff. Huge debates on whether calories even matter to a point.

I can say this, when I am burning hard I can waaay exceed what should be my RMR baseline and still lose or maintain. At some point your body simply cant process what you stuff in it and will quickly excrete it. But like he said you have to be TRYING to over eat.

One word of caution there. Drinks and supplements. I totally derailed myself before and almost forgot and did it again this week. Protein shakes are great and have a real place in my keto/workout profile. However it is very easy to down 4-500 calories in a chocolatey tasting shake and even absent carbs you then get into the whole gluconeogenesis conversation.

Not saying avoid them just be careful if you sue them.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:44 AM   #2202
corbes
College Benchwarmer

How do I calculate the carbs in vegetables? Is it just total carbs minus fiber, or is it more complicated than that?

If it's just total carbs minus fiber, then 25 carbs a day isn't really feasible for someone who eats lots of vegetables?
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:01 AM   #2203
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

just carbs - fiber

Vegetables with the lone exception of green leafs arent really part of a large part of a keto diet.
Old 02-29-2016, 02:55 PM   #2204
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I'd love to see a few more folks jump in here and play along. This is really helping me feel accountable and I look forward to sharing my progress each week here and in my personal journal. So without further rambling:

2/1 - 298.
2/8 - 288.4
2/15 - 286.0
2/22 - 284.2
2/29 - 281.6

Last week was a real mixed bag for me. My diet was on the mark with no deviation. A small personal victory in that Thursday night I found myself at a work function with no healthy eating options and an open (free) bar - I went the entire night without snacking or a drink!

Workout, well that was another story. I hit the stationary bike last Monday, put off the free weights for a day do to a time crunch. Never got back in the gym nor did I do my road work I was so focused on getting in. So exercise was a failure last week.

Its rewarding to see a drop on the scale even with a less than ideal workout week. Have to step it up this week. Already hit the gym today and feeling good about motivation for the rest of the week. I hit 9 miles last week on the recumbent bike on the previously mentioned aggressive profile. Bumped it up to 11 miles today. Felt good and managed a higher avg speed than at any point since Ive been tracking (17.468)<- I dont put a lot of faith in that number as I know first hand it doesnt translate to ground speed but its a good comparison to previous workouts on the same equipment.

Almost feels like cheating to "workout" for 35 minutes while playing madden mobile on a phone and listening to Pantera but whatever works.

Also a quick reflection. 1 month in I am 16 pounds down. Still not feeling lighter/better yet, nor am I seeing it in the mirror. But Ive got a long way to go. If I can have another -15 month I will be to a weight I can fight at.

Well that's it for this week. Come join me on the race down.

Oh almost forgot for any others reading along. The wife picked up some unsweetened coconut milk made by Silk. It's just ok by itself. Nothing special. But it does awesome in a protein shake and makes it much more filling. Plus I think its helping get some otherwise hard to ingest electrolytes.
Old 02-29-2016, 02:57 PM   #2205
Alf
Pro Starter

Well done !
Old 03-09-2016, 01:02 PM   #2206
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
I love this thread. Most of my favorite people at FOFC post in it and it is full of absolutely great successes. If it is okay I would like to use it as a low-stress place to keep track of my weight loss attempts. Basically I need a central place to keep everything (like a blog), where folks are reading (unlike a blog) and I can feel some accountability.

Basically I am fed up with whatever is going on with my eating. The exercise stuff I have down pretty good (for those that don't know, I bike commute between 20 and 30 miles roundtrip to work every day and will go for a long ride on the weekends). I have also started helping my wife get back in to running and am doing a run/walk thing with her three days a week.

So I am burning calories. Which is good, because I cannot stop eating. I get depressed when I think about how much weight I could have lost had I kept my eating under control (even a little). One time I tried a dynasty where I just came up with a list of bad habits and tried to avoid them every day. It wasn't even a weight loss dynasty but the negativity of it just kind of burned the whole thing down. It was hard to bring the anger every day. Usually I am just complacent.

Anyway, I decided to take like 10 good health habits and try and do them every day. Basically, when I go to bed every night, I will pull up this little checklist app on my phone (Paperless) and check off everything I have done, with the goal of getting a perfect score.

The list:

1. Out of bed by 5:30a
2. Exercise
3. Drink Bulletproof Coffee (no this is not a paid product placement)
4. Do not buy breakfast out
5. No soda
6. No candy
7. No ice cream
8. No baked goods (cookies, cakes, pie, donuts, brownies)
9. Drink 60 oz water.
10. Don't eat after 8pm.
11. Brush teeth twice, floss once.
12. In bed by 10pm

Basically I am trying to HEAVILY reduce my sugar intake and confine my eating to a shorter window. The bulletproof coffee thing is an experiment, but I have to admit I DO feel pretty great after drinking it. The soda thing I had completely licked for a long time but just recently started drinking Coke Classic(!) so, brakes applied.

The list is not perfect, no. Easy to slide in a large pizza. Easy to eat a gallon of strawberry greek yogurt. But the list is manageable.

Goal is to get down below 180 by Christmas.

9/24: 199.9
Hahahaha. Fuck that list. Soon thereafter (that was mid 2014) I went off the grid and ballooned back up to 215 which was my weight on January 1st 2015. I spent all of last year battling what I ate. And losing. Sure, I biked a lot (6500 miles) but I just waffled around the low 200s, not so great since I am shrinking (was 5-10+ at my peak, probably 5'9 now). So I got on the scale this morning and weighed in at 1...69 (nice).

How did I do it?

Eating - not much has changed, but three things really ramped up the weight loss, which has been about 25 pounds since the new year.

1. I gave up ice cream for Lent (I am a notorious destroyer of ice cream).
2. I *usually* eat a low carb breakfast of three eggs, 2 meats (sausage or bacon) and 1 slice of cheese and I don't eat it until between 9 and 10 am.
3. I doubled the amount of exercise I do - I have biked a LOT so far this year. In fact, today I hit 3,000 miles for the year.

So in the morning my body doesn't have to burn through the pint of ice cream from the night before while I ride 30 miles before work. The riding does give my body the opportunity to use whatever carbs remain in my system and then when that store is depleted goes on to burning fat for fuel. Basically, my body is turning into a ruthless fat-burning machine. Pretty simple, really.

My basal metabolic rate and my ride home (15 miles, sometimes more) takes care of whatever I eat during the day. Sleep knocks out most of what I ate for dinner.

I want to get down to about 160 and start running races again. We'll see.

Anyway, after years of fighting and obsessing over my eating habits I feel like I'm in a good place - not for everyone (or anyone?) probably, but this is what works for me. Basically eat whatever I want, because fuck it, I'll burn it off later.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com

Last edited by Subby : 03-09-2016 at 01:03 PM.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 01:36 PM   #2207
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Great work Subby!
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:27 PM   #2208
Radii
Head Coach

UGH I'm so embarrassed to have to make this update, Subby gave me a bit of a nudge last week and reminded me that I needed to post, thanks for that . I have still been one week on/one week off as far as the dieting goes, but when I'm off I'm WAY OFF and eating just massive amounts of food, leading to very steady continued weight gain. I have actually gotten back up to 300 pounds so I've gained back half of the weight I lost over the last couple years. This is all after having hernia surgery in December where the doctor told me that if I gain weight post surgery I will greatly increase the chances of the surgery not working and of a new hernia developing. Since then I've gained 25 pounds, so... yeah.

Keto is still the answer for me. And I did it for 19 months straight with only one single cheat (on Thanksgiving 2014). For whatever reason over the last 7 months or so now I just can't seem to get back in the groove.

3/13/16: 306.0

So the plan is to try again (although I'm doing that constantly anyway, so that's nothing new). The differences this time is that I'm going to post here on a daily basis in an attempt for some accountability, with a couple key changes/focuses to try to get things moving the right way again.

I will check in daily and have four main things that I wlll be noting on a daily basis:

1. Did I eat low carb yesterday? This is obviously the big one. I am changing up how I eat just a little compared to all of my other attempts to get back on track. When I was in a groove on keto I *really* enjoyed intermittent fasting, eating two big meals and not really snacking any, basically eating a breakfast around noon and a dinner around 7pm and that was it. I've been trying to force that kind of thing too much when starting over, and I think its messing me up. I can't do that when I'm still getting cravings and that sort of thing. So I'm going to make more of an effort to eat a snack, if not a normal lunch, between breakfast and dinner just to keep myself from going too long w/o eating and inviting cravings... at least for the first month.

2. How much exercise did I get yesterday? I had to stop everything I was doing when I had surgery and it turns out that I love being a complete sedentary slug so I have kinda just kept doing nothing. I am not sure what I will do long term as far as weight training or anything, but I do want to get back into yoga ASAP. Right now I cannot do it. With the extra abdominal pressure I feel from the added weight (and I can definitely feel it, and it is worrying me a lot), I can't do things like Planks or many other yoga poses without feeling a huge amount of pressure on my stomach where i had surgery. So for now I my exercise plan is 100% walking, just to get moving again. Yoga and some other bodyweight exercises I will experiment with once I get back down to 270'ish.

3. What time did I fall asleep last night, and how long did I sleep? The shitty thing about this is that outside of my eating habits, things are going GREAT for me right now. I'm working more right now than I have in years, and I'm currently a contractor and am hourly. But needing to spend a lot more time working pushes my hobbies later in the evening and I get selfish (and obsessive) and play too late and get into a cycle where I'm just not sleeping enough. Last week during the work week I don't think I got more than 6 hours sleep any one night. Not enough sleep = more impacted by hunger and cravings, and I feel weaker as far as giving in to cravings. Proper sleep is such a huge key to everything. I am a night owl and that won't change, but I also work from home and don't have to get up terribly early most days. 1:30 - 9:30 is an ideal sleep schedule for me. Don't expect to see that any time soon.

4. Current weight. Duh. I like to weigh in daily. Especially early on when I will get to drop water weight as I get into ketosis.

So for Saturday:

Did I eat Low Carb? God no. DONUTS TASTE GOOD. NO MORE DONUTS.
How much exercise did I get yesterday? None
Sleep? Slept from 4:30am-11am
Weight: 306.0 this morning

It can only get better from there.

I plan to check in daily for at least 3 weeks. If I can honestly get back on track and get into a good state again with keto where I lose my cravings and start feeling comfortable with everything again then I can drop back to the normal weekly updates.

Last edited by Radii : 03-14-2016 at 09:37 AM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:39 AM   #2209
Radii
Head Coach

Edited yesterday's starting weight, I have a withings scale that talks to my phone, it tells me the number I listed yesterday was actuall from a couple days ago.

Sunday stuff:

Did I eat low carb? Yes
Exercise? No
Sleep? 3am-9:30am <-- after staying up past 4 both weekend nights, moving towards something reasonable. This sadly is going to be pretty hard to fix.
Monday Morning Weight: 306.2 this morning. That's fine, expecting it to take a few days before anything moves.

Last edited by Radii : 03-14-2016 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:31 AM   #2210
Radii
Head Coach

Monday:

Low Carb: Yep!
Exercise: 20 minutes after work, whee
Sleep: 6 1/2 hours, still need more.
Tuesday Morning Weight: 307.1 lol (whatever, day to day fluctuactions don't matter, we'll care about this number on sunday or monday or whatever, should see a nice drop in a couple days)
Old 03-16-2016, 09:37 AM   #2211
Radii
Head Coach

Tuesday:

Low Carb: Check.
Exercise: None
Sleep: 6 hours 45 minutes... creeping up to something resembling a good number
Wednesday Morning Weight: 304.9
Old 03-16-2016, 09:42 AM   #2212
digamma
Torchbearer

Keep it up, radii.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:07 PM   #2213
Radii
Head Coach

Wednesday:

Low Carb: Nope. Very long morning, lots of meetings and testing for an upcoming release, couldn't eat anything til 3pm or so, ended up giving in to the cravings that generates. Did ok for dinner though. HOPEFULLY the fact that I am having to admit this here will keep me from now eating poorly for the next 5 days in a row
Exercise: 20 minutes
Sleep: 7 hours but woke up a bunch, don't feel great. Still, better!
Thursday Morning Weight: 305.4
Old 03-17-2016, 03:29 PM   #2214
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Keep it up, Radii.

Im sill here as well haven't been posting.
Eating right but workout has been non-existent.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:10 PM   #2215
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Been lazy on doing the updates here and in working out ./..maybe thats a trend. Lets try to kick both bad habits.

On the positive I have still kept my diet in check though I did have a couple drinks 2x last week. Kept it to bourbon instead of beer though for the reduced carbs and cals. Somehow it just sounds wrong, Im drinking hard liquor cause its healthy.
2/1 - 298.
2/8 - 288.4
2/15 - 286.0
2/22 - 284.2
2/29 - 281.6
3/7 -278.4
3/14 - 278.2
3/21 - 277.6

Obviously without the workouts the weight loss has slowed, though not completely stopped.

HEY DUMBASS workout and you lose weight. No thanks rather sit and be a slob. Grrr I hate myself sometimes. TO be fair work and family life has been crazy hectic but that is an excuse. Lets plan to get back on the bike a couple days this week.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:40 PM   #2216
Radii
Head Coach

Gonna start posting again tomorrow morning, I got off track for a couple days at the end of last week, but 4 of the last 5 days have been good ones. While I'm still getting back on track, a couple bad days can easily cancel out a week of good though, we'll see where we are tomorrow.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:06 PM   #2217
Groundhog
Coordinator

Good stuff Radii.

I jumped up to around 216 lbs over Christmas a year ago, and have struggled to get back down to my ideal weight, which is about 194. Doesn't sound like a lot, but my knees are ruined from 20+ years of basketball, and every pound helps. I cut out drinking for a month while also getting off one train station earlier each morning/afternoon to add about an extra 45 mins of walking per day.

Haven't really changed my diet much, just been trying to cut out snacking during the day. I'm at 207 now, but with no sport for the next 2 weeks and a 4-day work holiday, I see that nudging upwards again. I find now that I'm 34, the ole '2 games of basketball a week, and then eat/drink what I want' regime doesn't work anymore.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:27 AM   #2218
Radii
Head Coach

Weight is 305.2 this morning, picking up where I left off last week. Saturday/Sunday, and Tuesday/Wednesday were good low carb days. Monday was not. The goal is still to get fully back in the swing of eating low carb for a period of 2-3 weeks or so without any slip-ups to really start feeling the benefits again and hopefully it'll be smooth sailing from there.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:52 AM   #2219
Radii
Head Coach

304.9 this morning, still on track w/ the carbs. We're not doing anything for Easter so slipping up over the weekend isn't a concern.
Old 03-26-2016, 01:13 PM   #2220
Izulde
Head Coach

Reminds I need to weigh myself this afternoon. Anyway, I've been over 200 a few times in the last handful of years, and by cutting out soda almost 100% (the rare splurge here and there), I was able to drop down to about 185.

But I still felt very much skinny-fat, and so in January I started a diet and exercise regime with someone training me. The results haven't been entirely perfect - I *hate* eating and I'm supposed to eat four smaller meals a day - and the workouts are supposed to be 3x-5x times a week, but sometimes 2x a week (guy's not charging me).

And yet, I dropped to 176 within a couple months. Was up to 177 a few weeks ago, but that could be muscle pound, as I feel myself getting much stronger than what I was when I started.

We'll see what today brings.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 01:34 PM   #2221
Comey
College Starter

I have posted in here about my trials and tribulations. Long story shot, I lost 105-120 pounds four years ago...280-160, then steady at 175, with fluctuations up to 185-190 based on weight training and injuries.

Back in August, I suffered a displaced vertebrae at the base of my spine. It laid me up for a week, then stunted most of my activity for a few months. The relationship I knew was bad for me was going from bad to worse, and I was stress-eating on the weekends, wondering why I was at the woman's place..but there all the same.

Now, I didn't gain too much weight...but I gained some of that bloated spare tire back. It wasn't noticeable to others, but definitely so to me. And those of you who have gone through this know that Fat Me was pointing at that and yelling, "Dude, WTF!"

So, we broke up in December, right after the doctors finally found the displaced vertebrae (workers comp is a pain). I had, by then, mostly figured out what I can and can't do, and was slowly rounding myself back into form. It turns out the breakup was a wonderful catalyst, as it freed me to get back to my own form. I started hitting my core again hard, and started lifting more regularly...not for gain, but for tone. I sacrificed much of my baseball season last year because of her, and I had given it up. Now, at 36, even though I'm not really supposed to be pitching...I'm going to give it another go.

I write all of that to write this: I decided what would happen if I cut out unnecessary carbs. I love Whole Foods' tortilla chips, pizza, etc...and while I regulate with moderation well enough, I decided I'd just go without. My only real vice is a salad in a taco shell bowl once in awhile, and peanut butter on graham crackers. I've still been hitting my crunches (500-1000 a day), planks, and weights regularly.

The result is I'm sitting around 175-179, depending on the day and what I've done...but I'm leaner and way, way more tone than I've ever been. It is simply astounding to me.

I recommend that anyone who is even mildly curious about this give it a whirl. It doesn't take all that much...just a bit of shifting of what you eat, and some lessening of cravings with the carbs. Your back will thank you.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:38 AM   #2222
Subby
lolzcat

Radii - is there any way you can trade an hour of computer time every night for an hour walking up a treadmill incline? You definitely need at least an hour of exercise per day to get this shit going. Not like heart-pounding, heavy breathing stuff, just a good solid hour of fat burning.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 04-17-2016, 09:44 AM   #2223
heybrad
Norm!!!

So I'm terrible at this but I'm back and I'm a mess. My diabetic numbers are terrible. I feel about as bad as I've felt in a long time. But I feel motivated at least right now. Having read through this a number of times, I'm going to steal a bit from how Radii was tracking but reporting a few simple things as follows:

1. Did I eat right today? I started yesterday on a keto diet. This diet always seems to be the most sustainable for me.

2. Did I exercise today? For a goof I busted out the bike yesterday and went for a ride. I signed up on Strava since I see there are a bunch on here using it (not too mention it's own thread). I head out for my ride and as I'm heading home I needed a quick breather. I bust out my phone to see how far I'd gone and apparently I forgot to hit the record button. I hit record for the remainder home which shows I rode for 7 minutes. Yay!

3. Did I take all of my medications today? This probably seems dumb to most. Why wouldn't someone take the meds their supposed to take on a daily basis. Good question. I take insulin and a couple of other things. I hate the needles but when I take it, it solves a lot of sleep problems (like not peeing every 20 minutes throughout the night).

I started Saturday at 281. This morning I was 279. I don't expect that result daily. My goal is simply to get healthier, feel better and drop some weight in the process. I'd really just be happy to continually report in here because that would show that I'm at least trying. Between work and school I often lose focus on things like this. Hopefully not this time.

Last edited by heybrad : 04-18-2016 at 11:06 AM.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:06 AM   #2224
heybrad
Norm!!!

4/17 - 277

1. I ate great yesterday. I came in under my calorie budget and had no cravings or struggles.
2. I did another quick ride on my bike which to be honest I'm kind of disgusted at how little I seem to be able to do. The goal is to do a little more every day.
3. I took all of my meds except for my dinner insulin. I need to set a reminder on my phone because that's the one I forget to take the most.

It's early and I know the results are skewed in the beginning, but I feel good about this.

Last edited by heybrad : 04-18-2016 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:57 AM   #2225
Subby
lolzcat

Brad - best steps are the simple ones and it sounds like you are doing a good job keeping it uncomplicated.

There are going to be shitty times where you go off the deep end, but the most important part is to stay the course. The only good piece of advice that charlatan Dr. Oz gave was about falling off the wagon. He said to think about it like driving somewhere - if you make a wrong turn you don't keep heading in the wrong direction - you just turn around and get headed in the right direction again. It happens, we're human. Don't let a wrong turn beat you.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:13 AM   #2226
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Been a while since I updated.
Still keeping the diet in check, life has taken some funny turns. Time is more limited than usual and workouts have been non existent.

2/1 - 298.
2/8 - 288.4
2/15 - 286.0
2/22 - 284.2
2/29 - 281.6
3/7 -278.4
3/14 - 278.2
3/21 - 277.6
3/28 - 274.8
4/4 - 275.2
4/11 - 274.4
4/18 - 272.2

Not really sure what happened around the first of April. Really didnt break diet. I tend to think that 3/28 measurement was a mis-weigh or other such anomaly.

Really need to make a workout happen this week.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:39 AM   #2227
Alf
Pro Starter

Close to 30 pounds loss is already an accomplishment. Well done.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:29 AM   #2228
heybrad
Norm!!!

4/18 - I weighed in at 275.3 this morning so I continue with the solid start (down 5.7lbs).

1. Again, I ate great yesterday. I came just under my calorie allowance and all foods were on the approved list.
2. I got out for another short bike ride. I'm told I'll get better at this over time. I certainly hope so.
3. Same thing... I took all meds outside of my dinner insulin.

Along with the good early returns of some weight loss I had another benefit of taking my meds and the exercise last night. I slept through the entire night. When a diabetics numbers are out of control, that just doesn't happen. I feel refreshed today.

Last edited by heybrad : 04-19-2016 at 06:29 AM.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:34 AM   #2229
heybrad
Norm!!!

4/19 - 276 - I expect minor fluctuations with daily weigh ins. I'm not even sure if I should be weighing every day. I should just write off a minor change like that but I know it's down to...

1. I really didn't eat great yesterday. I guess the silver lining is that I didn't eat anything off of the approved list. I just ate too much of it. I went about 400 calories over my budget.
2. No exercise as I decided when I got home it needed to be homework day.
3. I didn't take my dinner insulin again. My issue is that when I got home from work I feel like a zombie and I'm ready to stuff my face. I took all other meds though and didn't have any nightly issues (aside from having to wake my son up at 4:30 am to take him to seminary).

Now the real challenge starts as I travel the rest of the week and then my brother and his partner come to town. I'm going to have to be vigilant on food and find time for exercise.

Last edited by heybrad : 04-20-2016 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:27 PM   #2230
Alf
Pro Starter

I do weigh in everyday. For me, that's the reality-check. Even though long term variation is the only important thing.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:05 PM   #2231
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I used to weigh in everyday. I found that I altered my patterns too much based on fluctuations. At 270+ the difference between a +1 and a -1 is insignificant and in fact most home scales are approaching their margin of error at that range. So Id have a good day, drink a bunch of water and eat a salad, gain a pound and convince myself the lettuce did it (or more accurately that restaurant's dressing) did it and avoid the place for 6 months.

Now I weigh weekly. 7 days is enough to develop a trend I feel.

But this is all about mentality and everyone is different there isnt a right or wrong answer.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:47 AM   #2232
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I think I'll be jumping on this bandwagon. I'm currently 196ish lbs on a 5'3 frame.

That quote was from December but now I really am jumping on the wagon.

4-16: 198.7 (35.2 BMI, 44 waist)
4-22: 196.0

I've mainly started walking 1-1.5 miles every other day. I'm horribly out of shape at the moment but I'm hoping to bump that up to two miles of running. I use Wii Fit U to keep track of my weight since I tend to cheat when recording something off of a scale. I'll probably see if there are any good exercises it can provide on my non walk/run days.

I'm also trying to avoid binge eating and high carb snacks. Late night nachos are a huge weakness of mine. I've also been trying to eat breakfast more often.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 05-13-2016 at 03:21 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:47 AM   #2233
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

dola

My goal weight right now is about 150 lbs.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:57 AM   #2234
heybrad
Norm!!!

4/25 update:

I'm thankful to still be at 275 this morning. My brother and his fiancee were in town so we've been sight seeing and hitting restaurants. I wasn't great in any category just because we had so much going on but my weight has managed to stay steady. I leave to travel again for the week tomorrow but food wise, should be on my own (no company dinners or anything.

Over the last 4 to 5 days:
1. Food - So so
2. Exercise - pretty non existent outside of walking all around DC
3. Meds - Off and on
Old 04-26-2016, 10:00 AM   #2235
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

2/1 - 298.
2/8 - 288.4
2/15 - 286.0
2/22 - 284.2
2/29 - 281.6
3/7 -278.4
3/14 - 278.2
3/21 - 277.6
3/28 - 274.8
4/4 - 275.2
4/11 - 274.4
4/18 - 272.2
4/26 - 269.8 <- I missed my Monday weigh in and did it this AM instead.

Still not doing enough "gym orkout" been trying to spend more time outside or on my feet in general. But nothing substantial.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:46 PM   #2236
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

4-29: 194.6

My weight is going in the right direction, but I feel I've been eating too much and too unhealthy. I also gotta bump up that exercise.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:17 AM   #2237
heybrad
Norm!!!

Starting Point: 281
5/2: 273.8

I was traveling all of last week. Good eating was on and off as is typical of when I travel. It didn't help that since I was in California, I had this ginormous carnitas burrito. You can't get good Mexican in Virginia. I shouldn't be eating Mexican anyways. With the travel, exercise was non existent and meds were off and on. I was actually surprised the weigh in this morning was down 1.2 lbs. I'm scheduled to travel the next 2 weeks with even more on the horizon. I need to focus on a plan to be good even on the road. Overall though, for two weeks, the results are positive.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:32 PM   #2238
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

2/1 - 298.
2/8 - 288.4
2/15 - 286.0
2/22 - 284.2
2/29 - 281.6
3/7 -278.4
3/14 - 278.2
3/21 - 277.6
3/28 - 274.8
4/4 - 275.2
4/11 - 274.4
4/18 - 272.2
5/3 - 271.2

So a tick up over last week still 1 down from 2 weeks ago. Progress I suppose
Old 05-06-2016, 10:46 AM   #2239
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

5-6: 195.1

The combination of cinco de mayo the nfl draft and my birthday really killed it for me in the eating/snacking department.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:51 AM   #2240
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

2/1 - 298.
2/8 - 288.4
2/15 - 286.0
2/22 - 284.2
2/29 - 281.6
3/7 -278.4
3/14 - 278.2
3/21 - 277.6
3/28 - 274.8
4/4 - 275.2
4/11 - 274.4
4/18 - 272.2
5/3 - 271.2
5/10 - 269.0

Interesting to me as I expected this to be a bad weigh in. I ate too much last week in terms of volume though not in terms of composition. Still very few carbs, though I did have my first, albeit small, cheat meal on Sunday. We took my wife out to this local Italian place she loves and I couldnt resist eating half of a Manicotti shell.

Still struggling to get in the gym at all. Still struggling to get on my bike.

Its becoming a bit of a depression based weight loss, I am losing by eating not by working and have to assume some muscle wasting is included in those totals which just bums me out more.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:14 PM   #2241
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

5-13: 192.8

I'm surprised but happy it went down. I had a very large meal plus leftovers on mother's day. Also I've been depressed all week about life in general. However I have started walking 2 miles in one session. It's been nearly a month now and I've lost 6 lbs so I guess that isn't too shabby.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 05-13-2016 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:19 AM   #2242
Comey
College Starter

Over the weekend, I celebrated FATIVERSARY IV: STILL LEAN. Four years ago, I completed my initial weight loss goal of an ex-girlfriend. That is, 105 pounds. I ended up losing 120, because I gained the metabolism of a high school sophomore through running and biking a lot. I went from 280 to 175, then 160, and back to 175.

Four years later, I sat at 179 (now 176), though I have more lean muscle because of the kind of workouts I am doing. I eat well, and more importantly, live well. It took finding the right blend of exercise and eating habits, but also equally discipline and general outlook. There were some rough nights during my lifestyle change. Sometimes, even now, I have moments. I have a displaced vertebrae in my back, suffered last August. That will never change, unless I get surgery (no). I've had to adjust through that. I've dealt with depression, anxiety, hardships, and doing it all while living far away from any family.

It has been hard. But also rewarding.

I write this to anyone who feels as though they may not succeed. See this through. Don't view the forest. Look at each tree. Each one is a goal, and attainable. To me, if you look at the end goal only, it can feel overwhelming. If you take it one step at a time, you may find yourself gaining more and more traction.

Keep fighting the good fight, all. You're succeeding by doing, and giving a damn.

(This isn't me at my worst; those pictures don't exist, as I got rid of them. Now, I wish I hadn't, but hindsight...the left is 2011, right as I started; the right were taken within the last two months.)

Last edited by Comey : 05-17-2016 at 06:22 AM.
Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:34 PM   #2243
Alf
Pro Starter

So what you say is that Basketball >> baseball in terms of weight control

Congrats ! And to the rest of us reading or posint in that thread : keep up guys, We can do it !
Old 05-20-2016, 08:52 AM   #2244
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

5-13: 192.8
5-20: 188.8

I should be happy about the weight but I'm terribly depressed at the moment.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 05-20-2016 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:55 PM   #2245
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

5-27: 188.8 (again)

I wasn't feeling all that well this week and my dieting and eating habits slipped. I didn't start walking/running again until today. Hopefully Memorial Day didn't inflate my weight.
Old 06-03-2016, 01:40 AM   #2246
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

6-3: 192.2

I'm not very good at this weight loss thing. My weight shot up after Memorial Day probably due to a combination of brisket and beer. My sleep has been erratic and too long as well. On the positive side my fast food intake has dropped and my drinking is down as well. I've also started walking/jogging my 2.5 miles again and on the off days I started using EA's NFL Training Camp. That thing really works you! Or at least it does for someone of my fitness level.
Old 06-11-2016, 04:38 PM   #2247
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

6-10: 189.4

Better than last week but still not my low point. My jogging is getting better but it is getting hotter outside. 95 degrees right now, ugh.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:06 AM   #2248
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

6-18:186.4

Woohoo! a new low!
Old 06-30-2016, 10:13 AM   #2249
PilotMan
Head Coach

Guys, I'm at this again. I've been a big pile of fail for a few years now. Post 40 isn't making things any easier. I tried to start getting back into working out about 2 months ago. It's been very slow going, but it was very hard to get started again.

Two weeks ago I got the Nerd Fitness Academy signup done (along with NF Yoga, (before the prices went up)) and I've been working through the quests there.

I took measurements a couple of weeks ago, along with my weight. I'm probably a couple more weeks from the next measurements. Things didn't seem like they were doing much of anything, but the last 2 weeks I've been focusing on my eating better and coupled with the NFA workouts I can feel the ball rolling in the right direction now.

I think I've dropped about 5 pounds total, but my strength and flexibility have improved noticeably and the clothing is fitting just a little bit differently.

I'll give more of my specifics later on.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:05 AM   #2250
PilotMan
Head Coach

Did my one month measurements today. I was nervous, but I really wanted to see some changes.

Overall, I gained an inch in my bicep (+6.7%), lost .5 in on my waist (-1%), lost 1.25 in on my hips (-2.4%), lost 1 in on my calf (-5.5%) Weight went from 297 to 291.6 (-1.8%) .

They seem like little changes. Ultimately, I'd like to hit a goal of a 10 inch spread between my chest and waist. Right now, I'm at 0 with them both being 49.

A little home drama today has sent me in search of carbs to deal with the stress. I need to stay focused, I was hoping for better results, but then again, I've never done full measurements before either.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote