Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-22-2011, 09:36 AM   #5451
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Dodds has been pretty consistent with saying "1st and 2nd tier rights can be shared equally, but you can't have me Lucky Charms, er, Longhorn Network money." Not to mention veto rights on who to invite.

Fixed.

Look no further than this Dennis Dodd article. There's disagreement even within the Texas administration as to whether the LHN money is untouchable. There's long been rumors that the Texas AD has pushed most of his work onto others to focus solely on the LHN as his last big mark on the university.

Also, there has been discussions on more than one B12 Rivals board that OU has the needed super-majority vote to change the revenue sharing rules so that all conference schools are required to share a portion of their third-tier rights.

Edit: Adding article link.

http://www.cbssports.com/#!/collegef...-can-be-redone

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 09-22-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:37 AM   #5452
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
This. Texas has been pretty consistent with saying "1st and 2nd tier rights can be shared equally, but you can't have me Lucky Charms, er, Longhorn Network money." Not to mention veto rights on who to invite.

That's not "Lucky Charms" and "Longhorn Network money"- that's "Lucky Charms" and "Notre Dame NBC money"- wait, we were talking about UT. My bad

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-22-2011 at 09:39 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:38 AM   #5453
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
18 months of garbage and nobody knows about one of the few things that actually happened (cuse and pitt)

Not sure why you posted the BOC quote with your 'garbage' reference. They are meeting as we speak and press were invited to the public portion of the meeting.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:21 AM   #5456
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I can go even further, take out the worse decade of UCLA's era, (the last 10) and largely the 90's, just goes to show how strong UCLA was. UW's head start is a lot to take into consideration but it's the breaks, I can't change when a program started. I

I'd say overall winning record and award winners are the only two clear advantages UW has and award winners isn't really that much of a category. UCLA owns conference titles (despite 200 less games), head to head, and the All-Americans.

as an unbiased Pac-10 follower I'd say UW has a better football rep. overall for football than UCLA.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:27 AM   #5457
MrBug708
Head Coach

Rep? For sure, UCLA will likely never shake it's apathetic following. It's just the nature of the program
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:23 PM   #5458
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'd say overall winning record and award winners are the only two clear advantages UW has and award winners isn't really that much of a category.
Overall winning percentage is a pretty key category, don't you think?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:31 PM   #5459
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Overall winning percentage is a pretty key category, don't you think?

Be careful, you are painting a rather large picture with such a broad statement. Then you would have to consider Arizona State better in the PAC-12 and South Florida better overall than UW because of overall winning percentage
Old 09-22-2011, 01:35 PM   #5460
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Be careful, you are painting a rather large picture with such a broad statement. Then you would have to consider Arizona State better in the PAC-12 and South Florida better overall than UW because of overall winning percentage
It's obviously not the be-all, end-all - context counts too, as well as looking at other measures.

ASU racked up much of that winning percentage in the WAC, and much of that time they were in what was considered a lower division of NCAA football than UW and UCLA. Since they joined the Pac-10, their winning percentage has dropped, and they've won significantly fewer conference titles in that time than have the UW and UCLA.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:39 PM   #5461
MrBug708
Head Coach

Since Expansion took place in 1978

Overall

Conference
Old 09-22-2011, 02:06 PM   #5462
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

In all seriousness, UW and UCLA are damn close in terms of football success. I think Washington has a slight edge overall, but of course I'm not unbiased in this matter.

And I'm also serious in thinking that as the new TV money starts rolling in, UCLA is going to have no excuse for not having a top coach and putting out consistent top-20 teams. The talent is obviously there to be recruited, and the money will be there to be competitive with coaching salaries - the heat will be on Guerrero to get this next hire right.

I like Sark in general and I think the UW is moving in the right direction, but if UCLA were to get a top-notch coach they'd be hard to top. And now is the time for the Bruins to strike with USC enduring scholarship sanctions.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:50 PM   #5463
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

@McMurphyCBS: Mizzou will hold 6:45 pm press conference: Chancellor & Big 12 Board Chair Brady Deaton to Give Update on Big 12/Mizzou

@DanBeebe Fake Dan Beebe
im not daydirnking im TAILGATING for the misouri announemetn

dennisdoddcbs Dennis Dodd by McMurphyCBS
Source: All indications are that Missouri is staying in the Big 12. Presidents call pushed back to later this afternoon.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:57 PM   #5464
Ksyrup

@KegsnEggs: Sources: The Dow Jones has requested that Dan Beebe be replaced.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-22-2011, 03:03 PM   #5465
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
In all seriousness, UW and UCLA are damn close in terms of football success. I think Washington has a slight edge overall, but of course I'm not unbiased in this matter.

And I'm also serious in thinking that as the new TV money starts rolling in, UCLA is going to have no excuse for not having a top coach and putting out consistent top-20 teams. The talent is obviously there to be recruited, and the money will be there to be competitive with coaching salaries - the heat will be on Guerrero to get this next hire right.

I like Sark in general and I think the UW is moving in the right direction, but if UCLA were to get a top-notch coach they'd be hard to top. And now is the time for the Bruins to strike with USC enduring scholarship sanctions.

Oregon is charging fast so we're a year or two away from basically USC with Washington-UCLA-Oregon next.

SI

Old 09-22-2011, 03:04 PM   #5466
MrBug708
Head Coach

Colorado is in that same realm with UW and UCLA right now
Old 09-22-2011, 03:07 PM   #5467
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Colorado is in that same realm with UW and UCLA right now
Yeah, that's probably true. Be interesting to see if/when they can get back to 10+ win seasons.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:17 PM   #5468
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Mizzou press conference with AD and chancellor tonight at 6:45 PM. Mizzou Rivals site is reporting that meeting this morning was to discuss whether MU Chancellor Deaton would resign from his position as chairman of the expansion committee. So we'll either get a meeting saying MU is a 'proud member of the Big 12' or we'll get an announcement saying that Deaton has resigned from his position (i.e. Mizzou considering moving to SEC).
Old 09-22-2011, 05:49 PM   #5469
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
...to discuss whether MU Chancellor Deaton would resign from his position as chairman of the expansion committee.

Wait a minute. The guy from the school connected to the most different moves was chairing the B12's own expansion committee? Are you kidding me?

Sorry but that's funny as hell.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:03 PM   #5470
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Wait a minute. The guy from the school connected to the most different moves was chairing the B12's own expansion committee? Are you kidding me?

Sorry but that's funny as hell.

I actually think MBBF is referring to the school's own committee on expansion, not the B12's. That said, it is funny that he should be for staying in the B12, but be the head of the school'd expansion committee.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:12 PM   #5471
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I actually think MBBF is referring to the school's own committee on expansion, not the B12's. That said, it is funny that he should be for staying in the B12, but be the head of the school'd expansion committee.

No, Deaton is the B12 chairman, which includes expansion committee. It's no different than the Pitt situation.

More info coming out locally......

1. The OU press conference at 6:30 was called to upstage Mizzou's press conference.

2. There is reportedly an internal battle within the Mizzou ranks. Coach Pinkel and some curators are actively campaigning to move on the SEC invitation. It sounds like that struggle wasn't resolved today and that no decision has been made on whether Mizzou will move or remain in the Big 12.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:13 PM   #5472
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Deaton is chair of the Big 12 council of presidents, which is/was overseeing possible expansion. In the last year, Deaton has gone from being Nerve's worst critic to best friend. A lot of people have said Deaton has been the only one arguing MU should stay in the Big 12.

Lot of smoke earlier that the presser tonight was for Deaton to announce his resignation as chair of the conference council and MU was going shopping.

Now all the smoke says he will announce Beebe is gone, the Big 12 is saved and looking to expand.

No idea what OU will do at their presser ...

Last edited by kcchief19 : 09-22-2011 at 06:14 PM. Reason: fuck auto text
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:13 PM   #5473
Ksyrup

You really owe it to yourself to get a twitter account just to read the fake Dan Beebe going off on every Big 12 school as he walks off into the sunset. I'm in tears.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:21 PM   #5474
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

yep - Fake Beebe is killing it tonight
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:35 PM   #5475
Ksyrup

DanBeebeFake Dan Beebe
I WAS TRYING TO GO MOSTLY IN ALPHABETICAL ORDER BUT I FORGOT MISSOURI. IMAGINE THAT, SOMEONE FORGETTING ABOUT MISSOURI

DanBeebeFake Dan Beebe
MISSOURI THROWS MORE PANTIES THAN THE CROWD OF 8TH GRADERS AT A JONAS BROTHERS CONCERT AND YET NOBODY EVER PICKS THEM UP
Old 09-22-2011, 06:59 PM   #5476
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Weird press conference from Deaton. Gave the info about Beebe leaving and restarting the B12 expansion committee, but also went out of his way to say that 'Missouri will do what's best for Missouri'.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:02 PM   #5477
Ksyrup

Here's the fake Dan Beebe's entire rant:

Fake Dan Beebe Unleashes A Twitter Rant For The Ages - From Our Editors - SBNation.com
Old 09-22-2011, 07:02 PM   #5478
timmynausea
College Starter

Three interesting Thamel tweets about the Big 12 stuff:

Quote:
All of the schools announce their intention to stay in Big 12. Agreed by all nine presidents.

Quote:
This is the biggie. A 6-year grant of rights agreed to by all the schools.

Quote:
RT @Andy_Staples: If a school leaves before 6 yrs, conf keeps media rights. RT @Snuffy_Jones what that 6 yr grant of rights means.

That actually sounds like a pretty surefire way to make sure no one leaves for the next 6 years, if I'm understanding it correctly.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:04 PM   #5479
Ksyrup

1st and 2nd tier rights only.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:06 PM   #5480
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea View Post
Three interesting Thamel tweets about the Big 12 stuff:

That actually sounds like a pretty surefire way to make sure no one leaves for the next 6 years, if I'm understanding it correctly.

That has not been put to paper yet. IF they work out the other issues, that will be the agreement going forward.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:08 PM   #5481
Ksyrup

So does the Big 12 go from the brink of extinction to killing off the football portion of the Big East? Or do they just try to get BYU or TCU and stay at 10?

If this all happens and Missouri actually stays, what is the SEC's end game? Surely 13 teams isn't a permanent solution.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:18 PM   #5482
RedKingGold
College Starter

If Mizzou stays in the Big 12, then I will pay someone $10 to go through this thread and multi-quote each and every post MBBF has made about Missouri going into a different contest for one single super-epic post.

There has to be some FOFC poster out there with two hours of free time.

Make it happen, FOFC!

Last edited by RedKingGold : 09-22-2011 at 07:18 PM.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:22 PM   #5483
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

That's just fantastic.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:23 PM   #5484
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
If Mizzou stays in the Big 12, then I will pay someone $10 to go through this thread and multi-quote each and every post MBBF has made about Missouri going into a different contest for one single super-epic post.

There has to be some FOFC poster out there with two hours of free time.

Make it happen, FOFC!

Wow, someone's optimistic.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:23 PM   #5485
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Wow, someone's optimistic.

Give or take three days.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:26 PM   #5486
General Mike
Pro Starter

Baghdad Chip is talking about TCU as #10 or something. I don't care anymore. Rutgers is fucked and I'm done with college sports.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:41 PM   #5487
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
Baghdad Chip is talking about TCU as #10 or something. I don't care anymore. Rutgers is fucked and I'm done with college sports.

Seems like Rutgers still has a fairly good shot at the ACC.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:51 PM   #5488
MacroGuru
Coordinator

If the Big 12 is still alive and kicking and that 6 yr agreement is in play...look at BYU to bring football over to the Big 12 and the other sports will come soon. (Believe it or not there is a lot of internal bickering going on about giving the shaft to the WCC so quickly and a negative image issue there)
Old 09-22-2011, 07:56 PM   #5489
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yay! Our conference is saved (for a couple of years) and Texas can continue to rape us all moneywise!

SI

Old 09-22-2011, 07:59 PM   #5490
MJ4H
Coordinator

this entire thing is

:facepalm:
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:14 PM   #5491
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
If the Big 12 is still alive and kicking and that 6 yr agreement is in play...look at BYU to bring football over to the Big 12 and the other sports will come soon. (Believe it or not there is a lot of internal bickering going on about giving the shaft to the WCC so quickly and a negative image issue there)

FWIW.....the B12 agreed to a 10 year deal last year. Took one year for the school that campaigned for a good chunk of that money to leave.

Several reports that BYU still has reservations about the Big 12. That shows me they're a smart bunch.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:24 PM   #5492
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
FWIW.....the B12 agreed to a 10 year deal last year. Took one year for the school that campaigned for a good chunk of that money to leave.

Several reports that BYU still has reservations about the Big 12. That shows me they're a smart bunch.

Honestly, the reservations isn't about the Big 12 anymore, from what I have heard it is a way out of the WCC deal without looking like we used them as a temporary landing pad for our olympic sports and basketball....

BYU always has independence to fall back on and they will fall back on it if they have to. I don't think they get as sweet a deal as they have now, but it will be there especially if they do produce in the Big 12 and not get their asses handed to them like they did the other night.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:16 PM   #5493
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Truly amazing that Boren and Deaton already contradicted each other on the six year media rights. National media is going with Boren line, but the story here is Missouri saying the Bug 12 has agreed to pursue a deal on media rights but don't have one yet.

Not sur any unity was achieved tonight. The Missouri stance is that things are moving in the right direction but we're along way from a final deal.

Don't know how long Missouri can keep dancing. I'd prefer to leave now and so would most fans. But if Missouri doesn't get concessions from Texas, it appears there is still strong interest in leaving.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 09-22-2011 at 09:17 PM.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:17 PM   #5494
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

PowerMizzou.com - Tigers talk but say little
Old 09-23-2011, 08:40 AM   #5495
Ksyrup

Heh.

davidubben David Ubben by Andy_Staples
I just hope Mizzou and OU have communicated at least enough to reach a consensus on what time their game starts on Saturday.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:13 AM   #5496
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

The timing of MU and OU's game could not be more amusing given the circumstances.

Mizzou doesn’t commit to Big 12, SEC still an option - KansasCity.com

The reports locally indicate that the MU's admins were not pleased with the OU news conference that was held to upstage Mizzou's news conference. PowerMizzou.com along with a few other sites are reporting that Mizzou does have an unconditional offer to the SEC that still stands. It also appears that Mizzou, not OU is the one pushing for radical reform of revenue distribution or they will take the SEC offer.

A week ago, OU had UT by the balls and MU was waiting to see what happens. Now OU's campus is known as University of Texas-Norman and Mizzou is the one holding all the cards.

Days of our Lives: The Big 12 Conference Edition
Old 09-23-2011, 10:25 AM   #5497
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Mizzou is the one holding all the cards.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 10:28 AM   #5498
Ksyrup

If the SEC invite is truly there, Missouri holds its own cards. Whether or not the Big 12 is able to stay together doesn't hinge on Missouri one bit, I'm sure. It's just matter of adding another team to the Big 12's list of expansion candidates.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 09-23-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:32 AM   #5499
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
If the SEC invite is truly there, Missouri holds its own cards. Whether or not the Big 12 is able to stay together doesn't hinge on Missouri one bit, I'm sure. It's just matter of adding another team to the Big 12's list of expansion candidates.

That's exactly right. That's a good thing for Mizzou. The concern regarding lawsuits has always hinged on the breakup of the conference. Mizzou could leave and wouldn't be the one to end the Big 12, though it would definitely ensure that instability would be a conference mantra for the next few years. It would also make the remaining North schools think twice about the 'handcuff' agreement that OU and UT is pushing right now.

Big 12 football: Missouri plays the maverick | Berry Tramel's Blog
Old 09-23-2011, 10:36 AM   #5500
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
) and the other was a bed-hopping slut who slept her way into promotions (she might have picked that up in college).

Pics please.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote