Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-12-2010, 11:17 AM   #751
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
It's what the discussion always is.

Missouri: Great Program or Greatest Program?

And evidently lots of people are willing to talk about it all day long despite complaints that they don't want to talk about it.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:27 AM   #752
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
The UCLA program is another fine example of a program which has 'prestige' and holds onto that for dear life given their recent results.

We've been to 3 final fours in the past 5 years. Im not sure how that is "holding on to dear life", but it's your criteria

Last edited by MrBug708 : 05-12-2010 at 11:28 AM.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:28 AM   #753
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The UCLA program is another fine example of a program which has 'prestige' and holds onto that for dear life given their recent results.

Tyus Edney, baby.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:43 AM   #754
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
We've been to 3 final fours in the past 5 years. Im not sure how that is "holding on to dear life", but it's your criteria

In comparison

Basketball: 136-44
Football: 34-29

Football was lousy and basketball is going the wrong way IMO. But the basketball is holding up well over a 5 year range.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 05-12-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:43 AM   #755
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:

He only cares about football now.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:46 AM   #756
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
And evidently lots of people are willing to talk about it all day long despite complaints that they don't want to talk about it.

They aren't talking about it, they are making fun of you. There's a difference. None of us expect you to actually see it tho.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:50 AM   #757
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
He only cares about football now.

Im actually surprised that we have a winning record over that period. As irrelevant as UCLA football has been over the past...12 years...we can still recruit and send people to the NFL

Last edited by MrBug708 : 05-12-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:52 AM   #758
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
It's hard to tell. At least cartman and I have presented some actual information related to the discussion. A poster said they couldn't wait to see the OSU/Mizzou/UM comparisons, so I went ahead and did it.

Sorry, I must have missed that. I saw the Ohio State comparison, but must have missed the Michigan one.

For whatever it's worth, I think Missouri will be fine in the Big Ten if they are invited. The Tiger basketball program under Anderson should do well in the Big Ten. Izzo will always field an excellent Spartan squad, but Anderson's system could do well there. The football program will probably take a slight dip once the Texas pipeline dries up, but that just means Pinkel will have to move his focus from Texas to the Big Ten region. Missouri will be fine in the Big Ten.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:53 AM   #759
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Yeah, UCLA is a bad example. Aside from last season, Howland has been great as the Bruins' head coach.

I'm not really sure why UCLA has struggled in football, but I like the Neuheisel hire. I think they could have done better, but they also could have done a heck of a lot worse.

Last edited by the_meanstrosity : 05-12-2010 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:55 AM   #760
MrBug708
Head Coach

And yet he could be fired if we have a losing season next year. And we know what that would mean
Old 05-12-2010, 12:00 PM   #761
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And yet he could be fired if we have a losing season next year. And we know what that would mean

Mike Anderson to UCLA rumors?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:02 PM   #762
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Mike Anderson to UCLA rumors?

But that doesn't make sense. Isn't that a lateral move, at best?

Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:04 PM   #763
Kodos
Resident Alien

Would it be okay to just keep this to Big Ten expansion talk? We can start a Mizzou is king thread if needed.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:07 PM   #764
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post

I'm not really sure why UCLA has struggled in football, but I like the Neuheisel hire. I think they could have done better, but they also could have done a heck of a lot worse.

UCLA is cheap
Old 05-12-2010, 12:12 PM   #765
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
But that doesn't make sense. Isn't that a lateral move, at best?

By the three year rule, it would be a step down

It would probably be Randy Bennett
Old 05-12-2010, 12:43 PM   #766
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

More smoke concerning a likely move to 16 teams with the currently delay having to do with Notre Dame making their final decision.............

Big Ten seeks 16-team super conference | detnews.com | The Detroit News

I had to laugh at this. Evidently there were others outside of this board today that saw five years as a good comparison timeframe. Discusses how Nebraska, Rutgers and Mizzou fit in the new conference

PowerMizzou.com - Powered Up: Tiger football in the Big Ten

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 05-12-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:06 PM   #767
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Im actually surprised that we have a winning record over that period. As irrelevant as UCLA football has been over the past...12 years...we can still recruit and send people to the NFL

Yep, plenty of kickers
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:07 PM   #768
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

But more seriously, anyone who would say that UCLA basketball hasn't had both past and recent success (last year notwithstanding) is beyond logic.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:09 PM   #769
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Yep, plenty of kickers

Touché.

(But they are some really good kickers!)

Old 05-12-2010, 01:17 PM   #770
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Yep, plenty of kickers

We only have one kicker in the NFL
Old 05-12-2010, 02:22 PM   #771
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Should be an interesting listen today on Sports Radio 810 WHB - Powered by Fans at 5:00 PM CDT. Kevin Keitzman (the guy who broke the info that the Big 10 was privately extending invites) is going to interview B12 commissioner Dan Beebe (the guy screaming 'all is well' at the B12 offices).
Old 05-12-2010, 05:14 PM   #772
MrBug708
Head Coach

That is quite the generous take
Old 05-12-2010, 06:13 PM   #773
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Should be an interesting listen today on Sports Radio 810 WHB - Powered by Fans at 5:00 PM CDT. Kevin Keitzman (the guy who broke the info that the Big 10 was privately extending invites) is going to interview B12 commissioner Dan Beebe (the guy screaming 'all is well' at the B12 offices).

Took these cliffs from another forum.

- If the Big 12 goes out to find replacement schools, they will not be pursuing schools in Texas, or any state where the Big 12 already has a presence.

- Sounds like NU and MU will get an ultimatum at the June meetings to say whether they are staying or going. If they will not commit, then leave later, there will be some significant financial ramifications for MU and NU.

- Gave the impression that the discussions with the Pac-10 went much deeper than just a TV network.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:17 PM   #774
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Also I guess Kansas AD Lew Perkins made a comment that basically implied they can't do business with teams who would just up and leave the Big 12. Considering they are going to be left at the table to pick up the check if this all goes down, I am sure that stance will quickly soften.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:48 PM   #775
sooner333
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Also I guess Kansas AD Lew Perkins made a comment that basically implied they can't do business with teams who would just up and leave the Big 12. Considering they are going to be left at the table to pick up the check if this all goes down, I am sure that stance will quickly soften.

I doubt it. They need to know so they're not left like the Big East. Kansas (along with KSU, Iowa State, and Oklahoma State) is a school that has the most to lose if the house falls apart because Missouri and Nebraska sneak out under the cover of darkness.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:19 PM   #776
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post

Some people have suggested that this is coming down from the Big 12 to Kansas. Kansas has the most to lose if Missouri leaves as the Border War is a big money maker for both KU and MU. So this has been one of the big questions...will KU and MU continue the Border War if both teams are no longer in the same conference? The answer is looking like no.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:28 AM   #777
sooner333
College Starter

I can't imagine they would quit the Border War. If Mizzou left, it would be done. Then KU would have a big money-making non-conference game. But they need to talk a big game now because they really do stand to lose a lot if Mizzou and Nebraska leave. They lose their North rivals and are on the outside looking in if the SEC or Pac 10 want some of the South schools.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:40 AM   #778
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333 View Post
I can't imagine they would quit the Border War. If Mizzou left, it would be done. Then KU would have a big money-making non-conference game. But they need to talk a big game now because they really do stand to lose a lot if Mizzou and Nebraska leave. They lose their North rivals and are on the outside looking in if the SEC or Pac 10 want some of the South schools.

It may not be up to KU. It was suggested by a Big 12 insider that there may be a Big 12 ruling that no current Big 12 team will be allowed to play a former Big 12 team that left the conference. I believe a similar rule was used in the Big East when Boston College left for the ACC.

Also, don't forget that Kansas still has their in-state rival, KSU. The Sunflower Showdown certainly is not as big as the Border War, but it will likely be the primary rival if Missouri does indeed leave the Big 12.

I'm honestly not too concerned about the Big 12 going anywhere. Texas and Texas A&M seem to be committed to the conference and so long as they are there will be a conference. If anything happens I think the Big 12 and Pac 10 merge into a mega conference. There will be a few teams dropped, but I don't think KU will be one of those given how much they bring in with basketball revenue.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:24 AM   #779
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
It may not be up to KU. It was suggested by a Big 12 insider that there may be a Big 12 ruling that no current Big 12 team will be allowed to play a former Big 12 team that left the conference. I believe a similar rule was used in the Big East when Boston College left for the ACC.

Also, don't forget that Kansas still has their in-state rival, KSU. The Sunflower Showdown certainly is not as big as the Border War, but it will likely be the primary rival if Missouri does indeed leave the Big 12.

I'm honestly not too concerned about the Big 12 going anywhere. Texas and Texas A&M seem to be committed to the conference and so long as they are there will be a conference. If anything happens I think the Big 12 and Pac 10 merge into a mega conference. There will be a few teams dropped, but I don't think KU will be one of those given how much they bring in with basketball revenue.

That would really make it clear that the Big 12 decisions are being run out of Austin, TX. No Kansas you can't have your biggest basketball and football rival because we have to stick together. Now go take your 8 million of uneven revenue sharing while we bring in twice that playing Oklahoma. To make up for it the Texas legislature has decided to let you play Baylor or A&M another time each year. It's this arrogance that is causing Mizzou and Nebraska to want to get out of this league.

Last edited by panerd : 05-13-2010 at 06:32 AM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:56 AM   #780
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
That would really make it clear that the Big 12 decisions are being run out of Austin, TX. No Kansas you can't have your biggest basketball and football rival because we have to stick together. Now go take your 8 million of uneven revenue sharing while we bring in twice that playing Oklahoma. To make up for it the Texas legislature has decided to let you play Baylor or A&M another time each year. It's this arrogance that is causing Mizzou and Nebraska to want to get out of this league.

Agreed. Perkins is far more inept than we already give him credit for if he allows the conference to dictate that they can't play Mizzou in the non-conference schedule. KU needs that rivalry even more if Mizzou leaves. A guaranteed payout if they played any other team at Arrowhead would be far less than the $1M that they get right now and they wouldn't be guaranteed to fill that stadium.

I suspect that the talking heads at KU will come to their senses and start thinking rationally after things fall out. Judging from the article this morning in the KC Star, the KU fan base would likely string up Lew to a tree if he ever tried to to stop the Border War.

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/05/12...-the-idea.html

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 05-13-2010 at 07:26 AM.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:31 AM   #781
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Agreed. Perkins is far more inept than we already give him credit for if he allows the conference to dictate that they can't play Mizzou in the non-conference schedule. KU needs that rivalry even more if Mizzou leaves. A guaranteed payout if they played any other team at Arrowhead would be far less than the $1M that they get right now and they wouldn't be guaranteed to fill that stadium.

I suspect that the talking heads at KU will come to their senses and start thinking rationally after things fall out. Judging from the article this morning in the KC Star, the KU fan base would likely string up Lew to a tree if he ever tried to to stop the Border War.

How is Lew Perkins inept if he is forced to follow the Big 12 rules? Is Mike Alden inept at Missouri because he was forced to do revenue sharing since the Big 12 was formed? Look, we get that you don't like Lew Perkins because he was able to trick a bowl committee to take Iowa State over Missouri this past year. But you need to let it go.

As for the Border War, I agree with former Missouri Tiger QB and current Big 12 analyst Corby Jones' take. Once Missouri leaves the conference then the Border War is done. It won't mean nearly the same thing as it does when you're battling for a conference title. After a couple of years it will become just another non-conference opponent like the Illinois - Missouri "rivalry".

I guarantee you that KU vs KSU at Arrowhead would sell out.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:34 AM   #782
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post

Panerd, have you ever looked at the Big 12 tv revenue? The difference between the bottom feeders and top teams is like $3 million. It's impossible for Texas to make twice the tv revenue under the current contract.

PS: Nebraska is one of the teams that voted to not share revenue in the Big 12.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:51 AM   #783
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
How is Lew Perkins inept if he is forced to follow the Big 12 rules? Is Mike Alden inept at Missouri because he was forced to do revenue sharing since the Big 12 was formed? Look, we get that you don't like Lew Perkins because he was able to trick a bowl committee to take Iowa State over Missouri this past year. But you need to let it go.

As for the Border War, I agree with former Missouri Tiger QB and current Big 12 analyst Corby Jones' take. Once Missouri leaves the conference then the Border War is done. It won't mean nearly the same thing as it does when you're battling for a conference title. After a couple of years it will become just another non-conference opponent like the Illinois - Missouri "rivalry".

I guarantee you that KU vs KSU at Arrowhead would sell out.

KU fans don't like the B12 setup any more than Mizzou. The difference is that Mizzou has a way out. If the Big Ten was offering KU, they likely couldn't sign quick enough. If Lew allows a by-law to be put into place to end the rivalry, he better have an escape pod ready to go. He'll be a dead man walking.

Corby speaks for a small minority in that regard. Most indicate the contrary. The oldest rivalry west of the Mississippi isn't going to die off over a change in conference. It will be different, but I don't think it will be different in a bad way. I could just as easily see the intensity ramped up with only one basketball game held each year. I'd also note from yesterday's interview that Dan Beebe said that any rule to limit who each member institution could play would be 'extremely unlikely and not a good idea'.

If KU and KSU think it would be a great idea to hold an in-state rivalry every year in the state of Missouri and pour millions into our economy, we'd be happy to laugh at them all the way to the bank.

Quote:
Nebraska is one of the teams that voted to not share revenue in the Big 12.

Which is not and never was the stance of the current AD at Nebraska.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 05-13-2010 at 08:25 AM.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:43 AM   #784
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

Not the case with the Big East. West Virginia played VPI and Pitt has them coming up on their schedule. Syracuse has a series with Boston College getting ready to start. South Florida and Rutgers both have series with Miami on the schedule and Louisville played them shortly after they left.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:28 AM   #785
Logan
Head Coach

Well in the case of BC, it was more about the anger felt by many of the remaining Big East schools. While Miami and VT were upfront about their desire to move on, BC initially came out and stuck by the BE schools, lambasted the others for moving for more money (it made plenty of geographic sense for those schools to join the ACC), and then when a spot opened up for them, they did all their behind the scenes shit and bailed. There was plenty of furor over Syracuse signing the BC deal on some boards, even from some Cuse fans, and I could tell you right now, if Mulcahy was still the Rutgers AD, we would never consider playing them (I'm long over it).
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:42 AM   #786
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
KU fans don't like the B12 setup any more than Mizzou. The difference is that Mizzou has a way out. If the Big Ten was offering KU, they likely couldn't sign quick enough. If Lew allows a by-law to be put into place to end the rivalry, he better have an escape pod ready to go. He'll be a dead man walking.

Corby speaks for a small minority in that regard. Most indicate the contrary. The oldest rivalry west of the Mississippi isn't going to die off over a change in conference. It will be different, but I don't think it will be different in a bad way. I could just as easily see the intensity ramped up with only one basketball game held each year. I'd also note from yesterday's interview that Dan Beebe said that any rule to limit who each member institution could play would be 'extremely unlikely and not a good idea'.

If KU and KSU think it would be a great idea to hold an in-state rivalry every year in the state of Missouri and pour millions into our economy, we'd be happy to laugh at them all the way to the bank.

Which is not and never was the stance of the current AD at Nebraska.

What do KU fans not like about the Big 12? If anything most of the knowledgeable KU fans I've spoken with love the idea of possibly merging the Big 12 and Pac 10. Hopefully that comes to fruition if so then that would put all of the remaining Big 12 teams in better footing then they are currently.

Exactly how much power do you think Lew Perkins has over Big 12 rules? For someone you believe to be "inept" you sure give him a lot of power. If the Big 12 votes that members can't play former members that left the conference what exactly do you expect Lew Perkins to do? Each team gets 1 vote. Does Lew Perkins magically get more votes because of a few KU fans?

Dan Beebe says a lot of things. He also said the Big 12 conference was fine. I think we all know the truth of that, lol. If the Presidents decide that they want a rule in place then Beebe will put that rule in place.

Which people are suggesting that the Border War would be better if they were in two conferences? Because I've never heard it from anyone. Everyone I've heard from suggests that the KU and MU rivalry would eventually fade once they split conferences. Just look at the OU and NU rivalry...they switched divisions and had their rivalry destroyed.

I can't speak for Tom Osborne, but I do know the last time it was taken to a vote Nebraska voted against revenue sharing. Would their vote change now with Tom Osborne in charge? Maybe, but maybe not.

How is playing KSU at Arrowhead any different than playing Missouri? Seriously? Both teams already play one game at Arrowhead. So how exactly would it be different? If the state of Kansas
Old 05-13-2010, 09:45 AM   #787
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Well in the case of BC, it was more about the anger felt by many of the remaining Big East schools. While Miami and VT were upfront about their desire to move on, BC initially came out and stuck by the BE schools, lambasted the others for moving for more money (it made plenty of geographic sense for those schools to join the ACC), and then when a spot opened up for them, they did all their behind the scenes shit and bailed. There was plenty of furor over Syracuse signing the BC deal on some boards, even from some Cuse fans, and I could tell you right now, if Mulcahy was still the Rutgers AD, we would never consider playing them (I'm long over it).

I know UConn was definitely one of the schools that did not continue to play Boston College. Lew Perkins was the AD at UConn at the time.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:51 AM   #788
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Doctor in Brooklyn: Why are you depressed, Alvy?
Alvy's Mom: Tell Dr. Flicker.
[Young Alvy sits, his head down - his mother answers for him]
Alvy's Mom: It's something he read.
Doctor in Brooklyn: Something he read, huh?
Alvy at 9: [his head still down] The Big Ten is expanding.
Doctor in Brooklyn: The Big Ten is expanding?
Alvy at 9: Well, the Big Ten is everything, and if it's expanding, someday it will break apart and that would be the end of everything!
Alvy's Mom: What is that your business?
[she turns back to the doctor]
Alvy's Mom: He stopped doing his homework!
Alvy at 9: What's the point?
Alvy's Mom: What has the Big Ten got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!
Doctor in Brooklyn: It won't be expanding for billions of years yet, Alvy. And we've gotta try to enjoy ourselves while we're here!
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:06 AM   #789
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
What do KU fans not like about the Big 12? If anything most of the knowledgeable KU fans I've spoken with love the idea of possibly merging the Big 12 and Pac 10. Hopefully that comes to fruition if so then that would put all of the remaining Big 12 teams in better footing then they are currently.

KU would take the Big Ten deal in a heartbeat. It's better than anything the B12/P10/both could offer them. I do agree that they'd like the idea of the Pac10 having interest given that the Big 10 is not. It can't be any worse than the current arrangement.

Quote:
Dan Beebe says a lot of things. He also said the Big 12 conference was fine. I think we all know the truth of that, lol. If the Presidents decide that they want a rule in place then Beebe will put that rule in place.

Won't happen. Beebe is Captain PC. He would have never taken that firm of a stance if it ever was a possibility.

Quote:
Which people are suggesting that the Border War would be better if they were in two conferences? Because I've never heard it from anyone. Everyone I've heard from suggests that the KU and MU rivalry would eventually fade once they split conferences. Just look at the OU and NU rivalry...they switched divisions and had their rivalry destroyed.

Nothing will fade. It'll just give more reasons for the two sides to hate each other. OU/NU was weakened as a rivalry when they started playing each other every other year rather than every year. That wouldn't be an issue with MU/KU.

Quote:
I can't speak for Tom Osborne, but I do know the last time it was taken to a vote Nebraska voted against revenue sharing. Would their vote change now with Tom Osborne in charge? Maybe, but maybe not.

There's no question it would. He's long been a critic of uneven revenue sharing and has said as much.

Quote:
How is playing KSU at Arrowhead any different than playing Missouri? Seriously? Both teams already play one game at Arrowhead. So how exactly would it be different? If the state of Kansas

If you can't find the amusement of two state schools holding a rivalry game in a different state, we've got little to discuss here.

Quote:
I know UConn was definitely one of the schools that did not continue to play Boston College. Lew Perkins was the AD at UConn at the time.

And as others have noted, that situation isn't even comparable to the MU/KU situation.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 05-13-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:19 AM   #790
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'd personally rather have KU instead of MU join the Big Ten. Mostly because my wife attended KU for a while.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:23 AM   #791
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
KU would take the Big Ten deal in a heartbeat. It's better than anything the B12/P10/both could offer them. I do agree that they'd like the idea of the Pac10 having interest given that the Big 10 is not. It can't be any worse than the current arrangement.

Won't happen. Beebe is Captain PC. He would have never taken that firm of a stance if it ever was a possibility.

Nothing will fade. It'll just give more reasons for the two sides to hate each other. OU/NU was weakened as a rivalry when they started playing each other every other year rather than every year. That wouldn't be an issue with MU/KU.

There's no question it would. He's long been a critic of uneven revenue sharing and has said as much.

If you can't find the amusement of two state schools holding a rivalry game in a different state, we've got little to discuss here.

And as others have noted, that situation isn't even comparable to the MU/KU situation.

I don't know. A merger between the Pac 10 and Big 12 would hold some pretty big markets plus a partnership with Fox Sports. I don't know that it would beat the SEC or Big Ten, but it would be fairly competitive.

I put nothing past Beebe as he's simply the figure head of the Big 12. He holds no actual power, IMHO.

You're entitled to your opinion, but everyone I've spoken with feels like MU and KU's rivalry will die once they are in different conferences. It certainly won't be the same and I think after 5-10 years the rivalry will fade. Initially it will be the same, but eventually Missouri's rivalry with Illinois will grow and KU's rivalry with KSU will grow and the Border War will be on the back burner.

Iowa State and KSU are currently playing at Arrowhead. Do you find that amusing? Kansas City is a great market for KU. They'd be crazy not to capitalize on it. I'm a little surprised that KSU is playing at Arrowhead, but with Snyder back at the helm that may change in the future.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:24 AM   #792
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I'd personally rather have KU instead of MU join the Big Ten. Mostly because my wife attended KU for a while.

I don't know how much pull you have with the Big Ten, but we'll take any help we can get.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:32 AM   #793
MrBug708
Head Coach

I wonder which argument we will use to say that while going to the PAC-10 is ok, the Big-11 is where it's at and the Big-12 is awful?
Old 05-13-2010, 10:40 AM   #794
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I wonder which argument we will use to say that while going to the PAC-10 is ok, the Big-11 is where it's at and the Big-12 is awful?

It really wasn't meant as a downgrade to the Pac 10 in any way. It's all about the B12. You should hope that any agreement allows the Pac 10 to hold more of the power. You don't want Big 12 officials making any decisions other than giving Texas a backrub here and there to keep them happy.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:42 AM   #795
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
I don't know how much pull you have with the Big Ten, but we'll take any help we can get.

Sure thing. I'll make a couple of calls, call in a couple of favors.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:47 AM   #796
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I don't know. A merger between the Pac 10 and Big 12 would hold some pretty big markets plus a partnership with Fox Sports. I don't know that it would beat the SEC or Big Ten, but it would be fairly competitive.

Agreed. As I said, anything is better than the current setup. The Pac 10 agreement is probably the best way to save the conference.

Quote:
Iowa State and KSU are currently playing at Arrowhead. Do you find that amusing? Kansas City is a great market for KU. They'd be crazy not to capitalize on it. I'm a little surprised that KSU is playing at Arrowhead, but with Snyder back at the helm that may change in the future.

ISU and KSU makes perfect sense because it's not an in-state rivalry and it's a location between the two schools. Same reason that MU/KU makes perfect sense. Those examples have no relevance to the KU/KSU played at Arrowhead example. It makes absolutely zero sense to take a game between in-state rivals and play it off-campus in a different state.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:50 AM   #797
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
It really wasn't meant as a downgrade to the Pac 10 in any way. It's all about the B12. You should hope that any agreement allows the Pac 10 to hold more of the power. You don't want Big 12 officials making any decisions other than giving Texas a backrub here and there to keep them happy.

What kind of power do we not want the Big-12 to hold?
Old 05-13-2010, 10:55 AM   #798
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
What kind of power do we not want the Big-12 to hold?

If they propose an idea, have the P10 AD's ignore it. That should keep everything in order.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:05 AM   #799
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Agreed. As I said, anything is better than the current setup. The Pac 10 agreement is probably the best way to save the conference.

ISU and KSU makes perfect sense because it's not an in-state rivalry and it's a location between the two schools. Same reason that MU/KU makes perfect sense. Those examples have no relevance to the KU/KSU played at Arrowhead example. It makes absolutely zero sense to take a game between in-state rivals and play it off-campus in a different state.

I agree regarding the Pac 10 and Big 12. The nice thing about that agreement is it would decrease some of that power in Texas and spread it along the west coast. Texas is still an important part of the equation, but then they aren't the only part of the equation like they are currently in the Big 12.

I disagree regarding ISU vs KSU. They played in front of 40,000 fans (80,000 capacity). That was an awful idea aside from the guaranteed money. The KU vs KSU game would likely be a sellout at Arrowhead and would command similar money to KU and MU. With Snyder in charge again though I highly doubt you'll see KU play KSU at Arrowhead any time soon.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:16 AM   #800
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

Agreed. BC deserved the anger directed towards them because they were in the braintrust that decided to file the lawsuit and then they decided to flip afterwards (which obviously didn't happen overnight). That was over hurt feelings, rather than mandated by the conference and it probably hurt BC (because they are so far away, geographically, from the rest of the ACC) while not really harming the Big East teams (BC was a decent rivalry, but I doubt any school would list them as their #1 rival and they don't bring a traveling fan base or TV ratings or anything).

In the case of a rivalry like Missouri-Kansas, it is a mutually beneficial game that brings good exposure to both schools.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote