Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-10-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
A-Husker-4-Life
College Prospect

Proper way to Quit a Job ..

Upset flight attendant activates chute, goes home

read the whole thing, is f'ing great..

Last edited by A-Husker-4-Life : 08-10-2010 at 12:06 PM.
A-Husker-4-Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:17 PM   #2
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

It's amusing, but guy's in jail and may be there for years.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:19 PM   #3
TLK
Pro Starter

HOPA > Proper way to Quit a Job ..
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

A lilttle more in-depth from the NY Daily News:

The plane had just landed, but he was ready to take off.

A JetBlue flight attendant blew his top, grabbed some beer and bolted out an emergency slide at Kennedy Airport Monday - then headed home to have sex with his boyfriend.

After he was bonked in the head by a bag, Steven Slater stunned passengers by spewing profanity and ranting about quitting as the flight from Pittsburgh pulled up to the gate about noon.

"To the f-----g a--hole who told me to f--k off, it's been a good 28 years," Slater, 38, purred, cops said. "I've had it. That's it," he added, a passenger said.

The mad-as-hell steward grabbed a couple of brewskis and popped one open before activating the emergency exit, witnesses told airport employees.

After tossing his two carry-on bags on the slide, he followed them to the tarmac.

Slater - who actually first started working for airlines 20 years ago, not 28 - then walked to the AirTrain, stripped off his company tie and flung it off as bemused passengers watched.

"I wish we could all quit our jobs like that," said passenger Phil Catelinet, 36, of Brooklyn, who was on the flight and the AirTrain.

"He seemed kind of happy about it. He was like, 'I just quit my job.' "

Port Authority police said it took jetBlue 25 minutes to report the incident, allowing Slater time to leave the scene.

Cops found him in bed with his boyfriend when they arrived to arrest him at a beachfront home in the Rockaways with a porch overlooking the Atlantic Ocean, sources said.

He boasted to skeptical cops that he really did escape by chute with his carry-on luggage.

"Oh, yes, I did! I threw them down first and I went down after," he told cops, sources said.

He was grinning as police walked him in handcuffs to a squad car. "He left with a big smile on his face," said neighbor Curt Karkowski.

Slater was wearing a sheepish smile when Port Authority detectives walked him to a waiting van a few hours later. He was charged with reckless endangerment and criminal mischief.

JetBlue would not say how long Slater had worked for the airline, but he wrote on his MySpace page that he was "enjoying being back in the skies" after a five-year break.

"I love to max it out with trips around the world, sometimes on a moment's notice!" he gushed.

Neighbors described Slater as a nice guy, but said he was under some stress. "Steven's mother is dying," said Judy Rochelle, whose son Kenny lives with Slater. "She has lung cancer. She's had two chemos and the prognosis is not good. They were on their way out to California this weekend to settle her affairs."
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:52 PM   #5
RainMaker
General Manager

I really hope they don't put this guy in jail. Anyone who has ever worked retail can relate to this guy.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:32 PM   #6
molson
General Manager

I hope with all the publicity, someone thinks he's awesome enough to offer him a job - I think he might be done in the airline industry.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:35 PM   #7
DanGarion
Coordinator

$2,500 bail. I'll pass.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:49 PM   #8
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

On one hand I can appreciate the hell out of what he did.

On the other, imagine how scary that could have been from the point of view of a passenger. I hate flying. This could have either been surreal & hilarious or had me jumping him before he'd set his shoes on fire.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:57 PM   #9
Anthony
Banned

why is this guy a hero? let me get this straight - increased fees. take away complimentary drinks and meals. charge me for carry-ons. make me take my shoes off as if i was a terrorist. and now i have to pussyfoot around some fucking faggot cuz he's on a power trip and doesn't understand i wanna get the fuck off the plane as fast as i can? and the flight attendant is getting pats on the back?

fucking crazy country we live in.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:39 PM   #10
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
why is this guy a hero? let me get this straight - increased fees. take away complimentary drinks and meals. charge me for carry-ons. make me take my shoes off as if i was a terrorist. and now i have to pussyfoot around some fucking faggot cuz he's on a power trip and doesn't understand i wanna get the fuck off the plane as fast as i can? and the flight attendant is getting pats on the back?

fucking crazy country we live in.
I'm certain this isn't the first time you've heard this, but you're an ass.

It's not the flight attendent's fault that airlines are squeezing us passengers to the breaking point. You don't think those cutbacks aren't also pushing them to the edge?

Read the reports on what went down - the passenger that pushed him over the edge was being a raging asshole.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 06:50 PM   #11
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Being an ass isn't always bad, a stupid ass though? Tough draw.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:03 PM   #12
Anthony
Banned

so getting on the PA and using curse words in the presense of children, thereby affecting people who weren't involved - that's acceptable? deploying the slide surely didn't delay the passengers from getting off in a timely fashion, i'm sure. what would he have done if the plane was still in the air? opened the door? he couldn't have simply said "if you don't take your seat i'm going to alert the authorities that you're not being compliant with air safety rules"? this bit of info sucks, but its one of those things where the customer is always right and he needs to be the professional. a temper tantrum on the child's part doesn't give the parent a free pass to flip out and piss on the couch and shit on the floor in protest. someone has to be the adult, and unfortunately that duty falls on the flight attendant. if he reacted like this then what was he capable of doing while the plane was in flight? that's a scary thought. yet everyone wants to have a beer with this guy. nice.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:35 PM   #13
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Quote:
but its one of those things where the customer is always right...

So a passenger throwing a tantrum and treating the airline attendant like crap is somehow... right?

Last edited by Greyroofoo : 08-11-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:39 PM   #14
chadritt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post
So a passenger throwing a tantrum and treating the airline attendant like crap is somehow... right?

Of course not but this mans JOB is to not flip out on him in such a huge way.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:49 PM   #15
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
he couldn't have simply said "if you don't take your seat i'm going to alert the authorities that you're not being compliant with air safety rules"?
You sure he didn't? Look, the primary duty of flight attendants is to keep passengers safe and to comply with FAA rules. The incident was sparked by a passenger defying the flight attendant and breaking rules and being an ass about it.

I can certainly understand being upset as a passenger on that flight if that stunt caused them to miss a connection or be late to something important, etc. I can also understand the frustration that flight attendants must have at this point, dealing with passengers that are pushed to the edge of their patience by airline cutbacks and fees and whatnot as well as dealing with worse working conditions because of salary and benefit cuts.

I think people are cheering this guy because most of us can relate to that feeling of being completely fed up with our jobs and fantasize about quitting in a spectacular way to vent some of that frustration.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:52 PM   #16
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I'm certain this isn't the first time you've heard this, but you're an ass.

Anthony may be an ass, but he's also fucking right.

The passenger may have crossed the line, but so did this male-stewardess. If his behavior isn't something that needs to be dealt with, then what is? What would you think if the pilot pulled the same stunt? Or the asshole who set him off? One guy being a prick is no excuse for someone else acting like asshats.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:26 PM   #17
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

the guy got hit in the head with a suit case, causing a rather large gash on his head.

That jackass woman's lucky she didn't get smacked....

Steven Slater’s Freakout: The Stress Of Being A Flight Attendant - TIME NewsFeed
Old 08-11-2010, 08:31 PM   #18
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
Anthony may be an ass, but he's also fucking right.

The passenger may have crossed the line, but so did this male-stewardess. If his behavior isn't something that needs to be dealt with, then what is? What would you think if the pilot pulled the same stunt? Or the asshole who set him off? One guy being a prick is no excuse for someone else acting like asshats.
I won't deny that the steward reacted poorly. But there were pretty strong reasons why he did so. And what did his homosexuality have to do with anything? Why even bring it up? That's why I thought Anthony was being an ass with his post.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:43 PM   #19
cyril
Mascot

Quote:
I won't deny that the steward reacted poorly. But there were pretty strong reasons why he did so. And what did his homosexuality have to do with anything? Why even bring it up? That's why I thought Anthony was being an ass with his post.

+1

his argument lost credibility once he brought up the f-word, sounds just a homophobic rant from that point on.

Last edited by cyril : 08-11-2010 at 08:44 PM.
cyril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:50 PM   #20
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

My take on this. It doesn't matter what he did or why. There should be some consequences for his actions. There are always consequences for your actions. ..

To think that 9/11 has somehow escalated those consequences it what I find unreasonable. You lose your head on a Wal-Mart PA or you lose your head on a parked plane, you should face the same consequences. The police raced to his house and got there minutes after him, "pulling" him or at least rousting him out of bed with his partner. The authorities shouldn't have even entered into this equation for some time, let alone the police.

Last edited by Glengoyne : 08-11-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:36 PM   #21
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:

I thought Anthony called everyone a faggot, whether they jumped in bed with another man after going bonkers or not.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:02 PM   #22
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
I thought Anthony called everyone a faggot, whether they jumped in bed with another man after going bonkers or not.

He does so that gets thrown out....

I can understand the frustration, anyone who deals with difficult people has wanted to go off at one time of another, but professionalism should step in at that point......Then you go have a beer with your co-workers and talk shit about them and it's all good.

He went a bit too far, though I have to admit taking a Beer with him for the road made me chuckle.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:08 AM   #23
stevew
Hall Of Famer

stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:12 AM   #24
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

For all of the people thinking this guy was so great, do you still feel the same way now that many of the passengers have been speaking out about how rude and antagonistic he was the entire flight (even far before this incident with the woman)?

Seems to be pointing to the direction of him just wanting to go out with a "bang" or possibly getting his 5 minutes in the spotlight.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:18 AM   #25
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Slater's, uh, unusual departure from his job has made him a cult hero to some, for leaving in a way that many only dream of.

Okay, we talked about 'know one' the other day, but that was in an article by deadspin -- fine. Now we've got an article on msnbc.com by the AP, using uh? My high school journalism teacher would find that, uh, unsatisfactory.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:28 AM   #26
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

Wait he came home to Al Gore?
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:35 AM   #27
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I considered posting that.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:15 AM   #28
molson
General Manager

I think its time the "flight attendant" job gets rebranded, at least for domestic flights. A flight really doesn't need someone pouring a half a can of flat soda and passing out pillows. What they really need is people that help in a security or medical emergency. Everything else is kind of an obsolete remnant of the past.

Last edited by molson : 08-12-2010 at 10:16 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:17 AM   #29
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
For all of the people thinking this guy was so great, do you still feel the same way now that many of the passengers have been speaking out about how rude and antagonistic he was the entire flight (even far before this incident with the woman)?

Seems to be pointing to the direction of him just wanting to go out with a "bang" or possibly getting his 5 minutes in the spotlight.

I don't think in all seriousness that anyone looks at this guy as a shining example of how to behave, regardless of what exactly happened... And no one will know for sure everything that went into the event except the steward himself.

I think people just can appreciate how difficult it can be to deal with selfish people on the job when you are going through a rough patch in your life. Most of us have moments when we want to tell someone to take this job and shove it, it's not worth it. (I actually did that once, it was quite nice. I did it with a two week notice and without the free beer though.)

So people just appreciate the idea of not taking shit on the job when you are being pushed hard by life. Because all of us have been in a position where we have had to just grin and bare it.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:11 PM   #30
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
I considered posting that.

I figure I'll get a suprising boxing around next tuesday.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:18 PM   #31
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I think its time the "flight attendant" job gets rebranded, at least for domestic flights. A flight really doesn't need someone pouring a half a can of flat soda and passing out pillows. What they really need is people that help in a security or medical emergency. Everything else is kind of an obsolete remnant of the past.

Not sure I agree. With everyone carrying on bags to avoid checking fees, so much of what I see them do is repositioning bags and moving them around between different compartments to allow for the most amount possible to fit. It already takes a solid half hour for this process to go on, can't imagine how long it would take a flight to get up into the air without them.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:48 PM   #32
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
I don't think in all seriousness that anyone looks at this guy as a shining example of how to behave, regardless of what exactly happened... And no one will know for sure everything that went into the event except the steward himself.

I think people just can appreciate how difficult it can be to deal with selfish people on the job when you are going through a rough patch in your life. Most of us have moments when we want to tell someone to take this job and shove it, it's not worth it. (I actually did that once, it was quite nice. I did it with a two week notice and without the free beer though.)

So people just appreciate the idea of not taking shit on the job when you are being pushed hard by life. Because all of us have been in a position where we have had to just grin and bare it.
This.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:34 PM   #33
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post

if the customer acts so far out of line then that's probably an opportunity for the authorities to get involved. its not the authorities job to serve the customers complimentary drink any more than its the flight attendant's job to handle unruly people. the guy probably decided today was gonna be his last day and he picked someone who was in rush to get the fuck off the plane as his opportunity for a grand exit. don't cry for him, Argentina.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:42 PM   #34
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

this is an excellent idea. now that i think about it - why can't we turn the flight attendant's into just air marshalls who are on every flight (and will also hand out complimentary drinks, blankets, pillows, etc). making the air marshall do these services means they get to eyeball every person on the plane and can start identifying "people to keep an eye on". but i totally agree with you - we only need flight attendants for really long flights or international flights. we don't need a stewardess to basically remind us of a better era in the past. great idea.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:50 PM   #35
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

It is my desire to quit my job by throwing my chair through the window and running off like Chief Bromden. I just have to figure out who gets the pillow treatment.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:15 PM   #36
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
if the customer acts so far out of line then that's probably an opportunity for the authorities to get involved.
For the vast majority of the time on the airplane, the attendants are the authorities, insofar as the plane is not immediately accessible by security or police.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:59 AM   #37
SackAttack
Head Coach

Apparently now the guy is saying he wants his job back.

Good luck with that one.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:38 AM   #38
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Apparently now the guy is saying he wants his job back.

Good luck with that one.

Yeah, based on everything the past two mornings from all of the passengers speaking out, it sounds like it is nearly unanimous agreement that this guy was a jerk the entire flight to everyone and no one even can verify his story about the supposed rude passenger.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote