Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-16-2014, 02:24 PM   #1
Greyfriars Bobby
College Prospect

The British League System: what should I do? (FM 2014)

I bought Football Manager 2014 today, after playing FM 2013 for almost a year. I was/am perfectly happy with FM 2013; in fact, I only decided to buy the "new" FM 2014 because I saw an edited database that I really wanted to try out.

It's a fictional footballing world in which the countries of the United Kingdom combine in a British League System with seven tiers. 324 clubs from England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Wales are included at each level. The British Premier League, for example, has clubs like Cardiff, Celtic, Chelsea, and Cliftonville, and the British League 1, which is two levels down, includes Aberystwyth, Blackpool, Dundee, and Glenavon.

I definitely want to start a career with this setup, but I'm not sure how I want to begin. If I start at the highest level, I might choose to manage Everton, who are picked to finish in the high-middle of the table. Or I could try to keep a side like Hearts or Aberdeen from being relegated.

I could pick a club from the middle of the pyramid, where Barnsley and Carmarthen battle with Cowdenbeath and Peterborough in League Two. Rangers are at this level, too...but I expect they'll be moving up quickly. The Royal First Division has 48 clubs in two groups, including some of the smaller semipro clubs I've managed against in Scotland--Peterhead, Stranraer, Montrose, etc.

Or, I could try to bring a club out of one of the eight British Qualifying Groups. Strathspey Thistle are at this level, and so are clubs like Barrow, Armagh, and Holyhead.

I'm going to use "fake names," because I don't want to be tempted to scour the forums for wonderkid lists or "sign these guys" threads. It's easy enough to figure out that Everton's 34-year-old American goalkeeper is modeled on Tim Howard, or that the midfielder wearing the number 8 shirt for Liverpool is a pseudo-Steven Gerrard, but I still enjoy creating a story based on a footballing universe with its own legendary names.

There are so many possibilities, and honestly, I'd enjoy any of a number of them. What would you enjoy reading about?

Greyfriars Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote