Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-08-2008, 09:45 PM   #351
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

EVENT July 30, 3036 - While other Inner Sphere powers are using the Helm Memory Core to rediscover and rebuild LosTech for BattleMechs and vehicles, the initial discoverers of the information, the mercenary regiment Grey Death Legion, have dedicated themselves to rebuilding Star League era battle suits. These are infantry suits with power systems and small weaponry. They have used the first prototypes of a new battle suit in battle this month. This is something they will become known for down the years.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:41 AM   #352
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

EVENT August 3, 3036 - Adele Thompson quietly gives birth to her daughter, with the father, James Essex at her side. Adele is married to another man, but they have not been together in over a year. She still loves him from a distance, and her daughter is born out of the closeness that comes with combat and impending death. In order to distance herself from her daughter, the child is named Thoma Marie Essex, given her father's last name.

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 09-19-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:58 PM   #353
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

August 18, 3036 - Trinity Company lands back at Outreach.

Recruit effort:

Ian Hall, elite, Vulcan 5T

The Vulcan 5T is a variant of the normal Vulcan, which sucks with its sucky AC2. This variant is 40 tons, 6,9,6 movement, six tons of armor, four medium lasers, a flamer and a machine gun.

Offers:

Offer #1: Corporation for garrison.

Offer #2: Lyrans offer a security contract. Sounds similar to a previous contract the Aleph Company is doing.

After rolling, we discover it is also an Isle of Skye contract. In fact, they want us to return to Galatea and continue to help the locals against the mercs and dissident mechs on planet so we head back out as soon as we hammer out a new contract.

Note: With the introduction of elite Ian Hall to Trinity Company it is now officially Elite - our first such company.

Contract:

Shared Salvage. 94
Salary 3.4 modifier. 69.
Battle Loss Compensation 50%. 34.
Remuneration Yes. 24.
Length of Contract - 4 months. 4.
Transport 59%. 0.
Liaison Command. 0.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:04 PM   #354
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

September 15, 3036 - Trinity Company lands on Galatea. Our liaison contacts trusted elements of the local militia, but our presence is not generally known except as a mercenary company.

September 16, 3036 - A local negotiator for the Free Rasalhague Republic recognized our symbol on a few mechs getting worked on in one of the factories on Galatea. (It is a gun and sword crossed on a tartan background square.). She was surprised to see us on the Mercenary’s Star and actually approached us for an offer. We had to gently refuse, but sent our regards to our friends with the FRR.

September 22, 3036 - Our Liaison tells us about a tank mercenary unit has been contracted by the Isle of Skye dissidents and is moving from Galaport to the outer continents right now. If we hurry, we can strike them just as the leave the city, so we can keep the local citizens safe. They have an unknown number of tanks, so we could be fighting four, eight, twelve, twenty four or fifty one for all we know.

We reach the vehicles and take stock of our enemy:

Unknown Merc Tank Unit:

Harasser Missile Platform
LRM Carrier
Schrek PPC Carrier
Vedette Medium Tank
Wheeled APC
Bulldog Medium Tank
Behemoth
Demolisher
Devastator
Whirlwind Hover Tank
LRM Hover Tank
Galleon Light Tank

Four assault tanks in the first company. Let’s see how many more. I am rolling for each tank to see if there are any more.

Zhukov Heavy Tank
Partisan
Sturmfeur
Scorpion Light Tank
Pegasus Scout Hover Tank x2
Falcon Hover Tank
Drillson Heavy Hover Tank

I rolled up two more assaults.

Problematic.

Behemoth’s have a ton of weapons, although no major ones.
The Demolisher has a pair of AC20s. Ick.
The Devastator has two as well.
The Sturmfeur has two LRM20s.
Schreks pack three PPCs
A Zhukov is almost an assault at 75 tons and packs two AC10s.
LRM Carriers rock with three LRM20s

Old 09-10-2008, 11:53 AM   #355
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

We concentrate our fire on the LRM Carrier on the first turn. The Thunderbolt destroys its left side and it is out for the count.

On the 2nd turn our new Zeus takes out the front side of their Schrek. Our new Rifleman is savaged with two leg actuators hit. It falls and takes some damage. Our Ostscout gets hit with an AC20 and blows off its RL. It falls too.

I don’t even bother to try and stand my mechs. The Rifleman is hit again by some missiles. All four leg actuators have been hit now. Their Harasser Missile Platform destroy the Ostscout RT and RA. Other tanks take out its LA and hit its engine.

I eject from the Ostscout, I’m not silly. Our new Vulcan variant (which is pretty good) hit’s the Devastator’s power plant and it goes up. Our Zeus hit’s the ammo in their Partisan and it goes up. Two more assault tanks down. Our Cicada falls under damage. Elizabeth Smythe’s Atlas kicks and destroys their Bulldog, which is savaged with weapons fire earlier in the turn.

I stand up Anna’s Cicada and run it back. Our Goliath destroys the Vedette’s LS armor.

Our new Vulcan again gets a kill, this time taking out the Pegasus RS. Our Trebuchet hit’s the Devastator’s engine and it explodes. Their Devastator gets a limb blown off critical on the Zeus’s LL and it falls. Our Vulcan also falls. The Atlas kicks and destroys the Zhukov’s front side.

Ian Hall stands his Vulcan up and runs it seven spaces away to give a +3 modifier this turn, but he had to expose his rear to do it. It’s a gamble, but one worth taking. Our Cicada hits and destroys the Falcon Hover Tank by exploding its power plant. It blows off the Cicada’s RL and Anna’s mech falls. The Goliath destroys the Sturmfeur by blowing up its power plant as well. The Ostsol kicks and destroys their Harrasser Missile Platform’s power plant. The Trebuchet misses a kick and falls.

The mercenary tanks retreat back into the city of Galaport under cover of the smoke that hangs over the battlefield, made by igniting small copses on fire. We win this day.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:54 PM   #356
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Salvage:

Schrek PPC Carrier
Bulldog Medium Tank
Pegasus Hover Scout Tank
Zhukov Heavy Tank

LRM20x3 (Could not roll the 5 to salvage the LRM Carrier, but I got the weapons in it).
AC5 (Could not get Vedette Tank)

Zeus LL

To Fix:

Ostscout RL, RT, RA, LA, engine
Zeus LL
Cicada RL
Rifleman four leg actuators

We reattach the Zeus leg that day. We also fix the Ostscout engine and the Rifleman actuators.

Armor: 320,000
Ammo: 290,000
Ostscout: 920,000
Cicada: 250,000

1,780,000 - Total Repair, Rearm, and Replace Costs

The Ostscout and Cicada parts will not arrive for a month

Old 09-10-2008, 05:20 PM   #357
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

LEVEL UP - I’ve never had this many people level up at once before:

Sergeant Jason Thomas, Ostsol pilot, notched four kills. His piloting decreases by one.
Thad Karamanlis, Trebuchet pilot, got four kills and decreases his gunnery by one.
Lieutenant Elizabeth Smythe grabbed four kills in her Atlas, and gains Edge: 1.
Anna Cafincelli, Cicada Pilot, grabbed four kills and improves her piloting.

One vehicle crew was deemed appropriate to join our unit. Meet:

Grigory Tartar, regular, dispossessed vehicle

Old 09-10-2008, 05:55 PM   #358
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

October 4, 3036 - After some riots began in Galaport, several Skye merc sympathizers have begun to grow and attack infrastructure. Perhaps they are acting on their own accord or perhaps that have been offered financial incentive. A group of mechs are moving towards the local electrical power station, and the locals are currently engaged, so we are charged with stopping our foes.

They have a full company, and we have two mechs out for repairs - the Cicada and Ostscout.

Our computer identifies their patch as belonging to a merc outfit called The Crimson Blades. Let’s take a look at their unit.

The Crimson Blades:

UrbanMech
Firestarter
Shadow Hawk
Vulcan
Hermes II
Zeus
Hunchback
Marauder
Grasshopper
Javelin
Grand Dragon
Cataphract 1X

Just one assault (the Zeus), balanced by four heavies (Cataphract, Grand Dragon, Marauder, Grasshopper), plus several powerful mediums, lead by the AC20 wielding Hunchback. Hermes II, Vulcan, and Shadow Hawk are also mediums, leaving just a Javelin, Urbie, and Firestarter as the remaining mechs of lightness.

My top targets are the Marauder, Zeus, Cataphract, Grand Dragon, Hunchback, Urbie - in that order. Obviously, targets of opportunity can change that. I assess the mechs hardiness, weapons configuration, and threat level to create my hit list. My ideal first targets are those with a lot of weapons and light armor, like the Commando, Rifleman, Cyclops, and so forth. There are none here. Then I look for mechs with strong weaponry from a distance and unmax armor. The Marauder or a Warhammer are good choices here, because they have strong long range weapons and solid, but not spectacular armor with ammo to help in an explosion. Then I look for mechs I absolutely have to take out - problems like an Archer or another missile boat being a classic example. A mech that is deadly at close range, but needs to close, like AC20 mechs like the Hunchback come next. Thus I create my list.

Eight of the mechs are veterans and one, the Grasshopper, has an elite MW piloting it. The other three are regular troops.

Old 09-11-2008, 11:26 AM   #359
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Here we go:

We are fighting near a lake and some buildings, roads and pavement, with a few trees around as well.

Their Urbie falls on the ground while running on cement. It skids into the water and takes more damage. There is some positioning and a bit of fire exchange and that’s all.

The Cataphract 1X, that our opponent has features 18 armor on its left torso. Elizabeth Smythe runs her Atlas right next to it, and fires her weapons. The first weapon she fires is the AC20, and no other weapons have been fired at the Cataphract today. The AC20 tears into the left torso, going internal, and hitting one critical. That critical is the ammo, and the Cataphract blows up, being destroyed in literally one hit.

I jump the Phoenix Hawk on top of a building in order to shoot at their Marauder’s back, but the building collapses and the Hawk falls and gets hurt. Then the Atlas follows the next turn with the biggest set of back to back luck kills I have ever seen. He attacks the Grand Dragon, WHICH NO ONE HAS TOUCHED, and fires the AC20 first, like normal. Boom, it hit’s the head, and the mech falls to the ground, quiet. Another one hit kill with the AC20. Our Goliath;s PPC hits an engine on the Hunchback. The Goliath kicks and destroys their Firestarter’s LA.

I stand up our Phoenix Hawk but it is going to get hammered this turn in weapons. Our Trebuchet hit’s the AC20 ammo on their Hunchy and it goes up. Boom! Out Atlas destroys the RT of their Zeus. Then our Zeus destroys their Zeus’s head with an LRM barrage. Our Goliath kicks and destroys the Firestarter’s LL and it falls, destroying its LT.

With four mechs down in four turns, and nothing much happening in the first one, and with a savaged Firestarter, they pull back immediately from their attack on the power station for Galaport. I expected the battle to last longer, but we just nailed them. Two head shots and two ammo explosions.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:35 PM   #360
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Salvage

Grand Dragon - H
Zeus - H, RT, RA

Pieces:

Cataphract RA, LT, LL
Hunchback LA
Zeus RA

To Fix:

Phoenix Hawk - Machine Gun on RA was destroyed.

Armor: 100,000
Ammo: 120,000

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 09-11-2008 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:06 PM   #361
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

December 7, 3036 - After a quiet November, we are again called to duty when a rogue group of local militia begin to attack the other milita. The rogues are under orders from a centralized company of mechs. We have our Cicada and Ostscout back for this battle. Our opponent is an experienced company and, like the previous opponents, will likely consist of many veterans, plus a few elites and regulars tossed in.

Our Foes:

Phoenix Hawk x2
Victor
Commando
Kintaro
Stinger x2
Marauder
Zeus
Banshee
Griffin
Hatchetman

They have three assaults mechs, Zeus, Victor and Banshee. However, they have just one heavy, and five mediums. The Kintaro is a 55 ton older Star League era mech that has been downgraded. It features an LRM5, three SRM6s, two medium lasers, 4,6 movement, 11 tons of armor, but no extra heat sinks, just he default ten. I love the armor, and I enjoy the missiles boat, but I’d pull off the LRM5 for three tons of heat sinsk to help dissipate the heat. This is a critical finder mech, with all of its spread damage, so you pair it with a mech that punches holes, like a Hunchback, and then exploit the holes with this mech. It’s not bad, and it’s a bit rarer because it is an older Star League era design.

There is an elite pilot in the Victor with another in the Commando. Most of the rest are vets. The only two regular pilots are in a Stinger and a Phoenix Hawk.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:59 AM   #362
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

We are fighting on some hills outside of the Galaport city limits, in an area devoid of trees.

On the first turn, they charge our Ostscout with a Commando and hit, forcing it from the field. I also order a charge on one of their Phoenix Hawks by our Cicada and hit it hard, it falls, followed by our Cicada. Other than that, just a normal exchange of fire. Our Cicada hit’s a hip actuator on the way down, which takes it out.

I order Anna Cafincelli to eject from the Cicada. Our Trebuchet hit’s their Zeus’s ammo and it goes up. Boom! Their Commando opens up the foot of our Hatchetman and hit’s a foot actuator. Our Rifleman blasts through the RT of their damaged Phoenix Hawk, the same one the Cicada charged last turn. That section is destroyed and the RA falls to the ground.

Ian Hall’s Vulcan savages their Phoenix further, destroying its LA. Our Goliath destroys the RT of their Marauder, and its RA falls to the ground. It also hit’s the Marauder’s engine once. Their Kintaro falls to the ground under an onslaught from our adjacent Thunderbolt. Our Vulcan punches and destroys their Phoenix Hawk’s LL and it falls. Our Thunderbolt kicks the downed Kintaro and hit’s the head, punting the destroyed head into the air. Our Spider kicks the Commando’s leg and hits an actuator. The Commando manages to stay standing but the suddenly one legged Phoenix Hawk falls to the ground. Their Phoenix Hawk tries to stand, falls, hits its CT, and destroys itself.

The next turn, our Thunderbolt hits and takes out the RL of their Commando. Our Goliath hits its Gyro once. Our Vulcan hits and destroys the LT and RA of their Commando. Their Stinger hit’s the hip actuator on our Phoenix Hawk. Our Phoenix Hawk falls as does their Commando. It destroys its CT section as it hit’s the ground.

I eject the Phoenix Hawk pilot with the savaged leg. He was never that effective at getting behind the back of the Victor, probably because he is a regular pilot, and not better. Our Trebuchet hit’s the Marauder’s AC5 ammo and it goes up. Boom! Our Ostsol lances the RA of one of their Stingers and it is destroyed.

Our Vulcan tries to jump to a hex behind their other Phoenix Hawk, and their Stinger it there, so he stops his jump early, and is a bad target. Our Ostsol’s large laser searches out the Banshee’s head and takes it out. Dead Banshee. Their Phoenix Hawk destroys the CT of our Vulcan.

With six of their starting mechs destroyed, including two of their three assaults and their only heavy mech, they radio their retreat and we allow them to flee.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:23 PM   #363
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Salvage:

Kintaro, H
Phoenix Hawk, CT?, RT, RA, LA, LL
Commando, CT?, LT, LA, RA, RL
Banshee, H, two actuators,
Vulcan CT?

Parts:

Zeus RA, LL, LT
Phoenix Hawk RA
Marauder RA, LA, RL
Commando LA

To Repair:

Cicada Hip Actuator
Hatchetman foot act
Phoenix Hawk hip

We fix the five actuators. The Vulcan’s CT section is recoverable (I rolled an 11). Now I roll for the engine and gyro in the section. We salvage the gyro, but have to order a new engine. The Vulcan will not be up and running for six weeks or so, because it will take that long to get a new engine in.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:56 PM   #364
Tellistto
College Prospect

Solid wins on this mission. Looks like the experience of some of your pilots is really playing a large roll here, or your just getting very lucky on your die rolls.

Either way, good stuff!

Tell
Tellistto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:20 PM   #365
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Lucky, its all luck sometimes.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:17 PM   #366
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

LEVEL UP - Bonita Endicia has notched four kills from her Thunderbolt. She gains Edge: 1.

January 15, 3037 - Our contract is up, but things are still dicey on planet. As such, the Lyrans decide to activate the Emergency Powers Clause in our contract to extend our stay on Galatea for one month.

Old 09-12-2008, 04:37 PM   #367
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

January 18, 3037 - Trinity Company is ordered to assault a Skye Separatist Base which is over two hundred klicks away from Galaport. The base is guarded by many tanks.

We do not have our Vulcan for this battle.

We are told they have an undisclosed number of vehicles. We arrive and find the Skye with:

Zeus
Spider
Hunter Light Support Tank
Goblin Medium Tank
Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun
Maxim Heavy Hover Tank
LRM Hover Tank
Condor Heavy Hover Tank
LRM Carrier
Centurion
Commando
Demolisher Heavy Tank
Zhukov Heavy Tank
Rommel Tank
Falcon Hover Tank
Harrier Hover Tank
Harasser Missile Platform
Warrior Attack Helicopter
Cavalry Attack Helicopter
Four Infantry Platoons

As you can see, we have four mechs in there, in addition to 13 tanks and two VTOLS and four infantry platoons.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:02 PM   #368
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Here we go.

We are fighting on a mountain, with no trees in the area. Boring landscape.

Our Trebuchet opens the battle by destroying their Harasser Missile Platform’s power plant, and the tank explodes. Our Atlas destroys the Hetzer’s front armor section. The Goliath hit’s the power plant of the Hunter and it goes up as well. Our Thunderbolt hit’s the fuel tank of their Goblin and it goes up. Our Rifleman hit’s the Spider, opens up its center torso armor, and its gyro is hit twice, taking it out.

In literally one turn we destroyed four tanks and one mech. They choose to abandon their position rather than fight on. Smart. We have twelve healthy mechs barely damaged and they are already down to 9 tanks, two VTOLs, three mechs, and four infantry platoons. We took out a Hunter with an LRM20, and a Hetzer with an AC20.

Salvage:

Hetzer
Spider, gyrox2

We capture the position and hand it over to the militia.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:08 PM   #369
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I can't believe that I didn't see this dynasty earlier. Great read, even if I disagree with some of your mech assessments!

Great job!
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:17 PM   #370
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Heya thanks! LOVE to hear what you disagree with, though.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:46 AM   #371
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Grasshoppers are great mechs! They have extremely heavy armor and the heat sinks to fire almost all of their weapons every turn with no heat build up. Plus the heat sinks give you the ability to jump behind enemy mechs at close range. Also, if you want to punch - punch during the physical phase, you're only talking about giving up 10 points of laser weapons. I also like the LRM 5, on your approach you can take some pot shots with it.

The Ostsol is another great mech. Using salvo fire, you can keep the mech running cool. Its fast, plus it has no weapons in its arms which allows a punch-punch physical phase. Plus, with good armor and all energy weapons it is a beast to take out.

Another question for you, what tables are you using to roll up the opposing mechs?
Old 09-13-2008, 08:53 PM   #372
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I am currently using the tables from Brush Wars guide which has tables for all of the major factions, plus mercs and pirates. When I hit 3039, I'll start using the charts from the War of 3039 sourcebook for all factions, mercs, but no pirates in it, so I'll keep using the Brush Wars tables for those.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:01 PM   #373
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Grasshoppers are great mechs! They have extremely heavy armor and the heat sinks to fire almost all of their weapons every turn with no heat build up. Plus the heat sinks give you the ability to jump behind enemy mechs at close range. Also, if you want to punch - punch during the physical phase, you're only talking about giving up 10 points of laser weapons. I also like the LRM 5, on your approach you can take some pot shots with it.

The Ostsol is another great mech. Using salvo fire, you can keep the mech running cool. Its fast, plus it has no weapons in its arms which allows a punch-punch physical phase. Plus, with good armor and all energy weapons it is a beast to take out.

Another question for you, what tables are you using to roll up the opposing mechs?

I hate salvo fire. Classic example of salvo fire is the Rifleman with two AC5s and two large lasers. With ten heat sinks, the LLs give 8 heat each and the AC5s one heat each. In the classic salvo fire, you fire two LLs one turn and then two AC5s the next to cool down. That's the plan. It's a dumb plan.

Turn 1 - Two Large Lasers. Max damage 16. 6 over heat
Turn 2 - Two AC5s. Max damage 10. On this turn, you are at +6 heat which gives you less movement. I can't remember if you get to +1 to hit at 6 heat or 8 heat, but you might be harder to hit others.

Every two turns, max 26 damage.

Or

Turn 1 - One Large Laser, 2 AC5s. Max damage 18.
Turn 2 - One Large Laser, 2AC5s. Max Damage 18

Every two turns, max 36 damage.

Never go overheat, and you don;t salvo your fire. You never use the extra LL, which is five tons, so you could add heat sinks, actually armor, the mech, and so forth.

The only disadvantage to my fire system over salvo fire is that you use up all of your AC5 ammo in ten turns instead of twenty, but dealing an extra max 10 damage per turn is worth the tradeoff, to my mind.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:47 PM   #374
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
I am currently using the tables from Brush Wars guide which has tables for all of the major factions, plus mercs and pirates. When I hit 3039, I'll start using the charts from the War of 3039 sourcebook for all factions, mercs, but no pirates in it, so I'll keep using the Brush Wars tables for those.

Brush Wars is a sourcebook I take it?
Old 09-13-2008, 09:57 PM   #375
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
I hate salvo fire. Classic example of salvo fire is the Rifleman with two AC5s and two large lasers. With ten heat sinks, the LLs give 8 heat each and the AC5s one heat each. In the classic salvo fire, you fire two LLs one turn and then two AC5s the next to cool down. That's the plan. It's a dumb plan.

Turn 1 - Two Large Lasers. Max damage 16. 6 over heat
Turn 2 - Two AC5s. Max damage 10. On this turn, you are at +6 heat which gives you less movement. I can't remember if you get to +1 to hit at 6 heat or 8 heat, but you might be harder to hit others.

Every two turns, max 26 damage.

Or

Turn 1 - One Large Laser, 2 AC5s. Max damage 18.
Turn 2 - One Large Laser, 2AC5s. Max Damage 18

Every two turns, max 36 damage.

Never go overheat, and you don;t salvo your fire. You never use the extra LL, which is five tons, so you could add heat sinks, actually armor, the mech, and so forth.

The only disadvantage to my fire system over salvo fire is that you use up all of your AC5 ammo in ten turns instead of twenty, but dealing an extra max 10 damage per turn is worth the tradeoff, to my mind.

Sure, go ahead and take one of the worst designed mechs to make a case!

There are several mechs that have "heat problems" that really just need to be used right. The Ostsol is one. That thing is great in close. Once you get there, you can punch, fire your entire loadout and then run out. If someone gets behind you, you can use your ML(R)s and shoot them (Granted, I normally don't like the (R) weapons, but there are some where it does make sense).

A great example of a salvo fire mech is the Awesome. You get two turns of firing all 3 PPCs, then you fire 2 and cool off. The Marauder is another one (and a good reason why I prefer the 3M variant). You fire 2PPCs and walk, and then the next turn. you fire a PPC and the AC5 and cool. As you get closer, you drop on PPC and use the 2 MLs instead.

The standard Warhammer is another one. You can fire both your PPCs and walk, and then fire only one and a ML the next turn and cool off. Its been a while, but the 6R was basically, PPCs at long range, close, fire a PPC and your MLs, then as you get in close, your MLs, SRM6, and your MGs. It plays very similar to the Stalker, only it doesn't have the armor that the Stalker has.

The Grasshopper though is a great, great mech as I mentioned. You can get in close, and then dictate the engagement with heavier mechs due to the jump jets. It is nearly fully armored. The only downside is the LRM. The SRMs on the GLT are much better.

The other thing too, is that you could just build a mech that has a slew of MGs. All it takes is one round of fire and the other mech is toast.

Also, if you get a chance to get one, the Marik variant of the HER-II is a sweet mech.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:43 AM   #376
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Most of those mechs aren;t salvo mechs though, they have different weapons with different ranges, like teh Warhammer and Marauder, and use them differently as you close, and the situation demands.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:31 AM   #377
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Here, let's do an experiment Warhammer.

This'll be fun.

Using the 3025 Technical Readout, the first one, not the one after they pulled the unseen mechs, let's list our three favorite and least favorite mechs from each class, without regard to variants. So, no Javelin 10F for me, which I love, because it is a variant. Just the mainline mechs. I'll do mine first.

Light:

Favorite -

Panther - Slow for a light mech, but with jumping capability, a PPC and an SRM4. It has a weapon to punch a hole, and one to exploit the hole made. Has a weapon that can destroy other light mechs. Very good in a squad, slower speed allows itself to be outflanked in a solo match.

Spider - 8/12/8 movement on a 30 ton mech allows it to charge into mechs for massive damage. Weapons in the torso allows it to fire and punch, or use a tree as a club. It has a speed that makes it very hard to hit, and it can do back attacks well.

Jenner - A lot of weapons with four medium lasers and an SRM4. 7/11/5 movement is a bit unconventional, but a five jump is key because it gives you a +3 to be hit instead of a +2. The most powerful weapons load on a light mech, and unfortunately, it has lighter armor, but that is a weakness shared by most 3025 era light mechs.

Honorable Mention: Ostscout, Firestarter

Least Favorite:

Wasp - The SRM2 is a waste of space and gives the mech ammo explosion problems along with lighter armor.

Stinger - Putting machine guns on a light mech is usually bad unless it has a ton of them to abuse the large ammo bins. One machine gun is a ton and a half of space for the gun and the ammo. Silly. It needs to have a lot more machine guns than two to be useful.

Commando - What I do like about the Commando is the large amount of weapons it has. What I don;t like about the Commando is its light armor and no jump capability, so it is easier to hit and lightly armored. I kill them easily in battle because of this. Swapping a missile system for jump jets would have been a smart move.

Honorable Mention: Locust

Mediums:

Favorite -

Trebuchet - Two LRM15s and medium lasers as back ups make the Trebuchet an ideal fire support mech. It features jump jets to get it into position (which is sometimes in a bunch of trees or on hills) or to get out of a tight spot when someone breaks through your line and heads towards your fire support mechs.

Whitworth - The lightest fire support mech that is any good, two LRM10s and four medium lasers with jump jets and adequate armor make this a solid mech that can either stay back and support with missiles or close with four medium lasers, which also packs a nice punch for its weight.

Hunchback - The slower mech with the AC20, the Hunchback blows holes in things, that's its only job. With a few backup weapons and virtually maxed armor, it is designed to close and blows holes in armor.

Honorable Mention: Griffin

Least Favorite -

Shadow Hawk - The AC5 is too heavy for a medium mech to carry well, and the Shadow Hawk does not deliver because it spends so much of its weight on it. I usually ignore them on the battlefield and focus on mechs that matter.

Clint - About as much armor as a fully armored 20 ton mech, despite being one whole weight class up, this is a sucky mech just waiting to die.

Vulcan - The only weapon worse on a medium mech than an AC5 is a crappy heavy AC2 which does the same damage as a machine gun, to a range of 22, and weighs about twelve machines guns if memory serves.

Honorable Mention - Cicada

Heavy -

Favorite:

Orion - I like the Orion because you can do two roles with it. Sit it back as a fire support mech with its LRM15 and AC10. Or, close and swing with the big guys with missiles and lasers, with AC10 backup. It has the armor to close, so you can provide either role. I sometimes like ti sit it back with the fire support mehcs and blow up anybody who comes near like a little watchdog.

Thunderbolt - A perfectly designed mech for close combat, it features an LRM and large laser to hit people while he closes, and then wades it with inside weaponry and great armor. It is also an ugly, ugly mech.

Archer - The best missile boat in the game. Four medium lasers, two rear facing, and two AC20s deliver forty missiles every round, except for teh occasional round where you only fire one to get back under heat.

Honorable Mention - Warhammer, Crusader

Least Favorite -

Rifleman - See above.

Quickdraw - With its odd assortment of weapons, weak armor, and tons spent on jump jets instead of elsewhere, the mech comes out looking like it really wants to be a medium mech.

Grasshopper - No matter what Warhammer thinks, ugh. Let's take a closer look at it. With a 4/6/4 movement, it isn;t going to be getting to mech's rear arcs very often. It spends twice as much weight on a jump jet as a medium mech does (if I remember correctly), so its waisting weight right there. LRM5s are a joke for a heavy mech, with 20-25 points on armor in each location, a weapon that does between 1-5 damage to one location if it hits is not worth the tonnage spent. It does have a large laser and four medium lasers, and that's a good weapons configuration for lighter mechs, but hte Grasshopper is a 70 ton mech, just ten tons away from being classed as an assault mech. I want mechs that can defeat mechs of equal tonnage, and have a shot at 5-15 tons more. The Grasshopper can probably chase around a slow medium mech (40-55 ton range) and might kill it, but I;d rather have a 70 ton mech that can really pour out the damage. Other 70 tons mechs include death dealers like the Warhammer and Archer. They give you weapons configurations worthy of 70 tons of machine, and they don't skimp on the armor either. The Grasshopper is vastly undergunned when compared to contemporaries.

Honorable Mention - The Ost mechs, which have the right idea in moving the weapons out of the arms, and then lower the armor on the arms until they are paper thin, thus giving you no cushion, and causing offs to get destroyed and lost in campaigns like this, which is really costly after a while. Also honorable mention to the crappy JagerMech.

Assault Mechs - There are only ten in the original book.

Favs -

BattleMaster - It can close in, and has a ton of weapons and armor. It also sports a PPC for the longer ranged fighting and to soften up opponents.

Atlas - It's not just the heaviest mech, but it has a rotisserie of weapons for various situations, from an LRM20 to an AC20 and all weapons in between. It features strong armor as well.

I'm not sure I have a third favorite mech. There are a lot of assault mechs that are sufficient, like the Zeus and Awesome and Goliath. Let's say the Awesome is my third favorite with is strong armor and triple PPC threat.

Least Favorite:

Charger - 5 small lasers on an assault mech is a joke.

Banshee - For a 95 ton mech, it has virtually no weapons, and it has more heat sinks than it can dissipate in a turn if it fires all of its weapons and runs too, which is very odd.

Stalker - Ammo in the arms is such a bad idea, the designer should be shot.

Honorable Mention - Cyclops.

Now its your turn. It'll be neat to see where we converge and differ.

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 09-14-2008 at 02:34 AM.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:36 AM   #378
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Brush Wars is a sourcebook I take it?

Catalyst Game Lab's Official Classic Battletech Website

Old 09-14-2008, 01:11 PM   #379
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The Spider Pilot is deemed worthy of joining us. Meet:

Regular, dispossessed, Sergei Monotov

February 15, 3037 - Our contract is again extended by the Emergency Powers Clause.

March 15, 3037 - Nothing happens in the month, and we head back to Outreach.

LEVEL UP - Thad Karamanlis, pilot of the Trebuchet, had notched his eighth kill. This moves him to elite.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:42 PM   #380
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Salvage:

Schrek PPC Carrier - 3,850,000
Bulldog Medium Tank - 1,128,000
Pegasus Hover Scout Tank - 821,000
Zhukov Heavy Tank - 1790,000
Grand Dragon 6,650,000 (550,000 to fix)
Zeus - 5,500,000 (2,250,000 to fix)
Kintaro 4,200,000 (525,000 to fix)
Phoenix Hawk 1,050,000 (3,010,000 to fix)
Commando 625,000 (1,330,000 to fix)
Banshee 8,800,000 (730,000 to fix)
Hetzer - 624,000
Spider - 2,850,000 (To Fix - 40,000, we fixed the gyro)

Parts:

Zeus RA, LL, LT - 1,940,000
Phoenix Hawk RA - 225,000
Marauder RA, LA, RL - 1,750,000
Commando LA - 100,000
Cataphract RA, LT, LL - 1,520,000
Hunchback LA - 250,000
Zeus RA - 750,000
LRM20x3 (Could not roll the 5 to salvage the LRM Carrier, but I got the weapons in it). 750,000
AC5 (Could not get Vedette Tank) - 125,000

Salvage Value: 45,303,000
Half That: 22,651,500

I can take my half now. I want the Kintaro. It’s rare and in good condition. There are no other mechs like it with three SRM6s and an LRM5 - it’s an odd design because it needs the right lance mates, but it is a critical finder. This is also a chance for me to get another Grand Dragon after the first was destroyed, and I take my chance. The Zeus is a solid but unspectacular mech. I can take another of those. I also take the Spider. I also get the Hetzer, Pegasus, Goblin, and Zeus and Commando arms.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:38 PM   #381
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Costs:

3,465,000 - To Repair Salvage
490,000 - Upkeep of Unit for 8 Months
600,000 - Transport
3,850,000 - Rearm, Repair, Refit Our Mechs

Incomes:

354,000 - Transport Reimbursement
1,925,000 - 50% Battle Loss Compensation
22,651,500 - Shared Salvage Compensation
908,000 - Base Salary
45,307 - Remuneration
283,750 - Emergency Powers Month #1
354,688 - Emergency Powers Month #2

Total Increase: 17,563, 653

Current War Chest: 21,331,129

Money Needed to Fix Up Previous Salvage: 12,330,000

After Fixing Up Old Salvage: 9,001,129

The Old Salvage was an Archer 6S, two Locusts, Phoenix Hawk, Commando, Cicada, Banshee, and Stalker.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:11 PM   #382
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Here, let's do an experiment Warhammer.

This'll be fun.

Using the 3025 Technical Readout, the first one, not the one after they pulled the unseen mechs, let's list our three favorite and least favorite mechs from each class, without regard to variants. So, no Javelin 10F for me, which I love, because it is a variant. Just the mainline mechs. I'll do mine first.

This will be fun!

Quote:
Light:

Favorite -

Panther - Slow for a light mech, but with jumping capability, a PPC and an SRM4. It has a weapon to punch a hole, and one to exploit the hole made. Has a weapon that can destroy other light mechs. Very good in a squad, slower speed allows itself to be outflanked in a solo match.

Spider - 8/12/8 movement on a 30 ton mech allows it to charge into mechs for massive damage. Weapons in the torso allows it to fire and punch, or use a tree as a club. It has a speed that makes it very hard to hit, and it can do back attacks well.

Jenner - A lot of weapons with four medium lasers and an SRM4. 7/11/5 movement is a bit unconventional, but a five jump is key because it gives you a +3 to be hit instead of a +2. The most powerful weapons load on a light mech, and unfortunately, it has lighter armor, but that is a weakness shared by most 3025 era light mechs.

Honorable Mention: Ostscout, Firestarter

I think before I go into my list, I will outline what I seek to accomplish with my light mechs. I want a unit that can take out vehicles and put a hurting on infantry without diverting heavier mechs to do the job. Additionally, the flanking and harassment role is big. I will also list out my mainline favs as well as my variant favs, however I will omit my least favorite variants. Also, I am assuming combined arms forces because the nature of your opposing threat has a huge impact on what to pick.

1) SDR-5V Spider - Great mech for harassment. It can do a wide variety of physicals, DFAs, charges, pushes, kicks, punches, etc. Plus, it doesn't have to sacrifice any firepower to do so. It has two MLs in the CT which give it enough punch to tear through the rear armor of almost any mech. 8/12/8 movement allow it to get wherever it needs to go fast.

2) JR7-D Jenner - As you point out, its fast and has a ton of firepower for a light mech. However, it can get into jams and tends to have heat problems because you really do want to fire an alpha strike into the back of that assault mech. The SRM4 is great to seek out crits against an opened up mech or against a vehicle.

3) LCT-1V Locust - With 8/12 movement and fair armor for a light mech, this bugger can get to where it needs to be fast. Plus, those 2 MGs that most people complain about? Those are death to infantry. I can't think of many more mechs that standard infantry fear more than the Locust (since you roll 2D6 for each MG to see how many troopers go down, MGs are awesome anti-infantry weapons).

Honorable Mention: JVN-10N Javelin and COM-2D Commando - Quick words on these guys, they are death to vehicles. The JVN sports 12 SRMs and the COM sports 10. These two guys are nightmares for enemy vehicles.

Variants:

1) FS9-M The Mirage is a great variant on the standard Firestarter which is a great mech for what it is, but a little too specialized for my taste. Stripping off the Flamers for Sm. Lasers, a heat sink, and extra armor is a great tradeoff in my book.

2) LCT-1M The LRM version of the Locust is something that just fits for me. Sure, you're not going to do much against a big mech, but this thing can really be painful to light mechs which typically cannot touch the longer ranged Locust.

Quote:
Least Favorite:

Wasp - The SRM2 is a waste of space and gives the mech ammo explosion problems along with lighter armor.

Stinger - Putting machine guns on a light mech is usually bad unless it has a ton of them to abuse the large ammo bins. One machine gun is a ton and a half of space for the gun and the ammo. Silly. It needs to have a lot more machine guns than two to be useful.

Commando - What I do like about the Commando is the large amount of weapons it has. What I don;t like about the Commando is its light armor and no jump capability, so it is easier to hit and lightly armored. I kill them easily in battle because of this. Swapping a missile system for jump jets would have been a smart move.

Honorable Mention: Locust

1) The Wasp for exactly what you outline above.

2) The Stinger primarily because it is not fast enough and paper thin armor.

3) UM-R60 Urbanmech - It has good punch for a light mech, but is much too slow when it gets anywhere outside of a city.

Honorable Mention: VLK-QA - Good idea, just doesn't work well in practice.

Quote:
Mediums:

Favorite -

Trebuchet - Two LRM15s and medium lasers as back ups make the Trebuchet an ideal fire support mech. It features jump jets to get it into position (which is sometimes in a bunch of trees or on hills) or to get out of a tight spot when someone breaks through your line and heads towards your fire support mechs.

Whitworth - The lightest fire support mech that is any good, two LRM10s and four medium lasers with jump jets and adequate armor make this a solid mech that can either stay back and support with missiles or close with four medium lasers, which also packs a nice punch for its weight.

Hunchback - The slower mech with the AC20, the Hunchback blows holes in things, that's its only job. With a few backup weapons and virtually maxed armor, it is designed to close and blows holes in armor.

Honorable Mention: Griffin

I am not a fan of a lot of medium mechs. The variants are great, but the mainline ones are lacking except for these bad boys.

1) TBT-5N Trebuchet - The Trenchbucket is a great mech. Good speed, great weaponry, and decent armor make this a great all around mech. NOTE: The version you note with jump jets is a variant and is not on the standard version.

2) ENF-4R Enforcer - Solid armor and decent range with no minimum ranges make this a great all around mech. It is more manuverable than the Hunchie with its jump jets. Its a mech that doesn't leap out at you, but it never disappoints you in battle.

3) HBK-4G Hunchback - This thing is a tank. It plays like one too. A big gun and some support weapons. Plus, with tough armor, this guy is a tough nut to crack and even assault and heavy mechs fear this 50 ton medium.

Honorable Mention: WTH-1 Whitworth and ASN-21 - The Whitworth is the lightest worthwhile fire support unit as you point out. The Assassin is great for its designated role of a light mech hunter. It can hit at all ranges and is fast.

Variants:

1) TBT-5S Trebuchet - Essentially a Trebuchet with SRM6s rather than the LRM15s. These work well in pairs. The 5Ns rain down the fire support as the 5S works its way in. By the time it is in range, most medium mechs are laid open for the SRM6s to find crits.

2) WVR-6M Wolverine - A great all around mech. It has 5/8/5 movement so it is very manuverable and it has a good variety of weapons. A large laser for long range fire, medium lasers for up close, and an SRM6 to find crits.

3) HER-2M Hermes II - This thing is great. 7/11 movement allow it to get where it needs to go, and the weapons loadout is great for a medium mech. 3 medium lasers along with 2 MGs allow it to engage infantry and the rear of bigger mechs with abandon. Plus, it has the armor to take a few good hits. Heat is not a problem unless you use the flamer.

Quote:
Least Favorite -

Shadow Hawk - The AC5 is too heavy for a medium mech to carry well, and the Shadow Hawk does not deliver because it spends so much of its weight on it. I usually ignore them on the battlefield and focus on mechs that matter.

Clint - About as much armor as a fully armored 20 ton mech, despite being one whole weight class up, this is a sucky mech just waiting to die.

Vulcan - The only weapon worse on a medium mech than an AC5 is a crappy heavy AC2 which does the same damage as a machine gun, to a range of 22, and weighs about twelve machines guns if memory serves.

Honorable Mention - Cicada

The only thing I would change here is move the Vulcan to #2 and put the HER-2S in its place. It tries to fill a light mech hunter role, but does not have the speed to pull it off well.

Quote:
Heavy -

Favorite:

Orion - I like the Orion because you can do two roles with it. Sit it back as a fire support mech with its LRM15 and AC10. Or, close and swing with the big guys with missiles and lasers, with AC10 backup. It has the armor to close, so you can provide either role. I sometimes like ti sit it back with the fire support mehcs and blow up anybody who comes near like a little watchdog.

Thunderbolt - A perfectly designed mech for close combat, it features an LRM and large laser to hit people while he closes, and then wades it with inside weaponry and great armor. It is also an ugly, ugly mech.

Archer - The best missile boat in the game. Four medium lasers, two rear facing, and two AC20s deliver forty missiles every round, except for teh occasional round where you only fire one to get back under heat.

Honorable Mention - Warhammer, Crusader

Heavy mechs are main line battle mechs. They will shred lighter mechs, and can function well on their own. This is probably the most difficult list for me to put together.

1) TDR-5S Thunderbolt - This thing is great. Just wade into the middle of a battle and have no fear. This mech is heavily armored and has weapons for all ranges. The only problem is going wild with the heat.

2) GHR-5H Grasshopper - I didn't like the Grasshopper the first time I looked at it. However, I learned to love this mech playing megamek. Yes, 4/6/4 does not appear to be great manuverability, but it is enough to get you in close to enemy mechs without taking a lot of punishment. My only complaint with this mech is the LRM5. I would rather have an SRM in its place. The reason why this rocks is that you can always stay out of the firing arc of another heavy mech once you close range.

3) WHR-6R Warhammer - This is where I got my nick from. It was the first mech I ever used playing Battletech and one I still love. You start at long range using your PPCs, and then close. Switching from PPCs to MLs to SRMs and then to MGs. There are two problems with this mech. First, the leg armor is atrocious. One kick from a big mech and you are in trouble. Second, there are some ammo issues with this mech. Still, this is one mech that can do it all. The only other heavy mech that is as flexible as this is the TDR.

Honorable mention: CPLT-C1 Catapult and CRD-3R Crusader - The Catapult is one of the best fire support mechs. Plus, with the jump jets it is hard to get in behind it to cause lots of problems. The Crusader is a great all around mech like the Warhammer, but it has more ammo problems than the Warhammer. It also tends to run a little hot.

Variants:
1) MAD-3M Marauder - When I first saw this mech, I tried to figure out what they were doing. After I used it, I thought it was absolutely brilliant. To manage heat, you alternate between the AC5 and the MLs. You can fire the LLs every turn. Armor is good and the ammo box problem in the LT is alleviated.

2) WHR-6D Warhammer - This Davion designed Warhammer alleviates the heat problems of the standard version as well as the leg armor problem. The cost is taking away a lot of its close range firepower and making it vulnerable to infantry.

3) ARC-2W Archer - I always thought the standard Archer had too much armor. If your opponent was hammering your Archer with anything more than LRMs, you had other problems. I like this version that has more close up firepower at the cost of some armor.

Honorable Mention - ON1-VA

Quote:
Least Favorite -

Rifleman - See above.

Quickdraw - With its odd assortment of weapons, weak armor, and tons spent on jump jets instead of elsewhere, the mech comes out looking like it really wants to be a medium mech.

Grasshopper - No matter what Warhammer thinks, ugh. Let's take a closer look at it. With a 4/6/4 movement, it isn;t going to be getting to mech's rear arcs very often. It spends twice as much weight on a jump jet as a medium mech does (if I remember correctly), so its waisting weight right there. LRM5s are a joke for a heavy mech, with 20-25 points on armor in each location, a weapon that does between 1-5 damage to one location if it hits is not worth the tonnage spent. It does have a large laser and four medium lasers, and that's a good weapons configuration for lighter mechs, but hte Grasshopper is a 70 ton mech, just ten tons away from being classed as an assault mech. I want mechs that can defeat mechs of equal tonnage, and have a shot at 5-15 tons more. The Grasshopper can probably chase around a slow medium mech (40-55 ton range) and might kill it, but I;d rather have a 70 ton mech that can really pour out the damage. Other 70 tons mechs include death dealers like the Warhammer and Archer. They give you weapons configurations worthy of 70 tons of machine, and they don't skimp on the armor either. The Grasshopper is vastly undergunned when compared to contemporaries.

Honorable Mention - The Ost mechs, which have the right idea in moving the weapons out of the arms, and then lower the armor on the arms until they are paper thin, thus giving you no cushion, and causing offs to get destroyed and lost in campaigns like this, which is really costly after a while. Also honorable mention to the crappy JagerMech.

Agreed on the Rifleman and the Quickdraw. I would move the Jagermech up to the 3 spot.

Honorable mention goes to the MAD-3R. I mean who thought about only putting the AC ammo in the LT and nothing else? Gah!

Quote:
Assault Mechs - There are only ten in the original book.

Favs -

BattleMaster - It can close in, and has a ton of weapons and armor. It also sports a PPC for the longer ranged fighting and to soften up opponents.

Atlas - It's not just the heaviest mech, but it has a rotisserie of weapons for various situations, from an LRM20 to an AC20 and all weapons in between. It features strong armor as well.

I'm not sure I have a third favorite mech. There are a lot of assault mechs that are sufficient, like the Zeus and Awesome and Goliath. Let's say the Awesome is my third favorite with is strong armor and triple PPC threat.

1) AWS-8Q Awesome - Let me put it this way. Seeing an AWS-8Q perched on a hill is an Awesome sight. 3 PPCs and the heat sinks to use them. Combine that with nearly maxed out armor makes this a tough nut to crack. Unlike many mechs that have some ammo somewhere that can lead to an early kill, the Awesome lacks that. You need to either take out its legs, its engine, or gyro. This makes this easily my favorite among assault mechs.

2) BLR-1G Battlemaster - This mech is great. You have long range firepower with your PPC. You have great medium and close range firepower with your 4medium lasers and SRMs. Heat is not a problem with 18 heat sinks. Finally, you have tons of armor to protect you.

3) VTR-9B Victor - The Victor is a fun mech to use. While it does not have the armor or firepower of some of the other assault mechs, it has much better manuverability. Yes, that Atlas is a great mech, but how many AC20 shots can it take to its back?

Honorable mention - AS7-D Atlas - Great mech that has firepower at all ranges and has heavy armor.

Quote:
Least Favorite:

Charger - 5 small lasers on an assault mech is a joke.

Banshee - For a 95 ton mech, it has virtually no weapons, and it has more heat sinks than it can dissipate in a turn if it fires all of its weapons and runs too, which is very odd.

Stalker - Ammo in the arms is such a bad idea, the designer should be shot.

Honorable Mention - Cyclops.

Now its your turn. It'll be neat to see where we converge and differ.

Put the Cyclops at the #3 spot and you've got it. The Stalker and Zeus are a lot like Angelina Jolie to me. She's not my favorite, but I'm not going to kick her out of bed either.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:05 PM   #383
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Light Mechs do three things for me.

1. Keep opposing forces tied up with high to hit defenses while weapons drop from long range.

2. Outflank the opponent.

3. Keep my opponent from outflanking me.

4. Occasionally jump behind a major mech and tear up its rear armor.

That's why I love Javelin 10Fs. Four medium lasers, max armor, 6/9/6 movement and weapons in the torso, allows you to jump behind and rear attack with physical attacks, it can take out other lights or vehicles, and so forth. It flanks, it harasses, and it has no ammo issues.

Old 09-15-2008, 01:32 AM   #384
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

April 12, 3037 - We arrive back at Outreach with Trinity Company. The three tanks are sent to the garrison on Epsilon Eridani, and the empty mechs will join them as soon as we do some recruiting, but first…..

3 January, 3037 - Our vehicle company arrives back at Outreach from their two year garrison contract.

The Hunter and pilot Debra Hadley from the garrison are being moved to this company. Okay, money on the garrison contract:

Costs:

668,052 - Upkeep of Unit for 28 months (They are much cheaper to upkeep than mechs)
700,000 - Transport Costs (Take up less room too).

Incomes:

280,000 - Transport Reimbursement
1,099,837 - Salary
137,439 - Signing Bonus
54,992 - Remuneration
159,936 - 70% Support

Total Increase: 364,152 (That’s a two year contract that made just that.)

Time for a new contract. Offers?

Offer #1: Lyran Commonwealth, Objective Raid

Offer #2: Free Rasalhague Republic, Garrison.

The second offer is perfect. We take it.

Sun Xiang has 66 points for negotiation.

Support: 70%. 56.
Salary 3.4. 31.
Length. One Year. 31.
Transport: 50%. 36.
Salvage: Exchange: 31
Remuneration yes. 21.
House Command. 26.
13% signing bonus

April 3, 3037 - The Vehicle Company arrives at Hainfield, ten jumps away, and begins a one year garrison contract.

Old 09-15-2008, 01:36 AM   #385
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

EVENT - December 6, 3036 - After taking the Free Worlds League to war with the Duchy of Andurien after the assassin’s bomb from the Duchy put Duncan Marik in charge as the Captain-General, the scion of deceased Janos Marik has arrived from ComStar. Thomas Marik is revealed to have survived the assassin’s bomb, and implies that the bomb was sent, not by the Duchy, but by Duncan Marik himself. He further implies that he has proof of Duncan’s complicity.

Thomas Marik undergoes tests in public to prove that he is Thomas Marik, and that he has no bionic implants (the FWL is notoriously biased against those with implants, false limbs, etc.). After proving that, Duncan reads the writing on the wall, believes that he can retain the Captain-Generalship by notching a resounding victory, and decides to attack Andurien system of Xanthe III, the ancestral home of the Humphreys family. He will personally lead the attack on Xanthe III.

Right where the newly remodeled Typhon Company (formerly known as the Commandos company) is currently entrenched.

Old 09-15-2008, 03:45 PM   #386
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Nov 4, 3036 - Typhon Company arrives on Xanthe III and begins their new contract. As a reminder, here is the contract we have negotiated.

Full salvage
They transport us as needed
3.4 salary modifier
50% battle loss compensation
House Command (we do and go where they say)
Length, 4 months
Remuneration yes

Old 09-15-2008, 08:37 PM   #387
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

February 1, 3037 - The Captain-General of the Free Worlds League has arrived at the head of his forces. This will be a major battle.

The Free Worlds League Troops:

Tenth Marik Militia, Veteran, Reliable
Fifteenth Marik Militia, Regular, Reliable
Head Hunters mercenary forces, Green, Regiment, Questionable Loyalty

Andurien Forces:

Third Defenders of Andurien, Veteran (or better)
Fifth Defenders of Andurien, Veteran (or better)
Kilts and Commandos, Typhon Company

We fought alongside the Fifth previously. They are down to about half their original strength, and the Third is similarly damaged from the years of war. Andurien troops have been fighting since 3030, and its now the beginning of 3037. Therefore, neither are officially regiments. Our opponents sport three regiments bristling with mechs that have not been field refitted or recently in battle. On our side, we have two regiments that are a little over one regiment in total size plus our company. The one thing we have is experience. Both of the Andurien units were originally listed as Regular, but the fighting has hardened them into at least veteran, plus our company is listed as veteran as well. The Andurien forces also have the benefit of being the defenders and knowing the terrain.

We have been assigned to fortify the city of Estan. It is in hill country, and easily defended from attack by the naturally rough terrain. The Third Defenders use the city as their base for staging raids against the Marik forces while we secure the city in their absence.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:57 PM   #388
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

3 February, 3037 - After failing to even find the Third Defenders on planet despite several raids by them on Marik troops, Duncan Marik, frustrated by the lack of progress, pushes his commanders.

4 February, 3037 - Confident in his belief that the Third Defenders are in Estan, Duncan forces his troops up the paths to the city of hills. Several raids from the Third Defenders try to force his troops away, but he will not be deterred, sending the Head Hunters to chase down the raiding forces, while the two Militia regiments continue to push towards the city.

They blow through the various earthwerks and fortifications and surround the city with us and the Third Defenders inside. They begin moving into the city. Our plan is to hide in various positions throughout the city, allow the local militia to fight the opponent, lure them into a false sense of security, and then pounce on them and punish them.

We are assigned to an industrial place in the city, and several Marik forces are making their way through. A few mines in the streets and local militia infantry harass the mech forces. Then we jump out and attack our foes. We have fewer mechs than they do, but we can leave whenever we want. Ideally, we can take out a mech or two before we fade away.

They have, three assaults, four heavies, six mediums and seven lights for a total of 20 mechs. Four mechs have been taken out by defenders or lost in the city. We have just twelve mechs and two platoons of infantry. All I want to do is hit a mech or two and fade. These mechs carry the symbol of the Fifteenth Marik Militia, regular troops. That is one advantage. Let’s see if we can push it.

According to Battle Value, we are underarmed. If we can really hammer them, we can force them back, I doubt that will happen, instead we will likely retreat after a few turns.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:44 PM   #389
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The first turn we exchange fire but no major developments.

Their Marauder hit’s the engine of our Javelin variant. Our Rifleman hits their Stalker’s ammo and it explodes. Our Phoenix Hawk blows off the Stinger’s LA by getting a 12 critical, so it lays on the ground. Our Javelin falls under damage. Our Phoenix Hawk kicks and destroys the LL of the Stinger and it falls. Our Rifleman falls after missing a kick.

We fade away content in the damage we have done. We destroyed an assault mech, and legged a Stinger, taking both out of the fight.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:45 PM   #390
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

To Fix:

Javelin engine

Armor: 80,000
Ammo: 75,000

We fix the Javelin. It takes six hours. We also rearm and reload behind the lines.

Old 09-15-2008, 10:12 PM   #391
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

5 February, 3037 - As the Marik advance continues into the city, Duncan is disappointed by the slowness of the advance. Scouts report back to him that a battalion of Andurien defenders have set up a defensive line near the core of the city. Duncan orders his troops to the defensive line, ignoring raids that peck at his flanks, losing some mechs in the desire to get a quick and decisive victory that he can use to cement his position as Captain-General of the Free Worlds League.

9 February, 3037 - In four days of fighting, the Marik forces have advanced only a kilometer into the city. We have not been asked to fight as forces trade duty in order to rearm and keep the troops fresh. Now we are being asked to hit some opposing forces. They are getting close to the redoubt being used as a temporary headquarters, so instead of a hit and fade attack, we are being asked to hit the Marik troops and force an encounter. It is believed that if we can hit hard, we can force back one of the flanks of approach. The Head Hunters mercenary forces are chasing various planetary militia across the company, so the only foes here are the Tenth and Fifteenth Marik Militia.

Our task is to use our light forces to break off their light forces, then hit their heavier forces with ours, and smack them around. Our bluff works, and each of our scout lances go off, chasing each other in and around the nearby city. Then our other forces break out of nearby abandoned houses and hit their remaining forces.

The Mariks (Tenth Militia):

Griffin x2
Hunchback x2
Rifleman
Whitworth
Banshee 3Q
Archer

These troops are all vets.

The variant Banshee features an AC20, and that’s it. Combined with two Hunchys, they have three AC20s, so we need to force them to keep some distance in order to keep our forces standing.

However, they have five fire support mechs to back up their AC20s, so keeping an Archer, Rifleman, two Griffins and Whitworth at length may not be the best idea. We’ll see. The Battle Values are very close (because they are vets).

Old 09-16-2008, 11:05 AM   #392
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

On the first turn, one of our Warhammer’s PPCs hit’s the Banshee in the head and goes internal, clocking some sensors. Their Rifleman falls under an onslaught, and hits its hip and lower leg actuators in the crash.

Our Catapult hit’s the Banshee’s upper and lower leg actuators but it remains standing.

The next round is just a sloughing of armor off each other’s mechs.

They destroy the RA of our Thunderbolt, taking its Large Laser with it. Our Rifleman slices off the RL of their Rifleman after it stood back up, and it will fall again. Their Banshee falls under an onslaught of weapons.

The 5th round arrives. Our Panther hits an engine and gyro on their Banshee. Our Awesome blows the RA off the Banshee. It also hit’s the AC20, so we can move on to other foes. Our Catapult destroys the LA off their Rifleman. Our Warhammer blows off the LA of the Banshee. The Banshee falls hard.

Their Griffin destroys the LA of our Thunderbolt. One of their Hunchys falls under the weight of combat.

The next turn I order the armless Thunderbolt to flee the field. The Banshee tries to get up, fails, and destroys its RT. Then the pilot blacks out. Their Hunchy hit’s a foot actuator on our Awesome. Our Warhammer lives off the RL off a Hunchy. Then it falls and destroys its LL, taking it out of the battle as a mobile combatant.

Our Rifleman destroys the LT of their other Hunchy, and its LA falls to the ground. Then our Awesome crosses its PPCs in front of the second Huncy and destroys its CT. That’s all three AC20 mechs out. Now time to take out the last threat on the field, the Archer.

Their Griffin hits an LRM15 on our Catapult, but we are out of ammo, so there is no threat of explosion. Our Panther hits and takes out the RT and CT sections of their Rifleman, officially taking it out. Their Archer falls under another onslaught.

The 10th round sees our Awesome destroy the RA of their Archer. Our Catapult falls under an onslaught of missiles and PPCs.

Our Catapult tries to get up, fails, takes damage, then gets up again. Our Panther hit’s the Archer in the head with its PPC and gets a critical, hitting the Cockpit. Dead mechwarrior. The Warhammer hit’s the head and destroys it completely. Our Dervish takes out its RT before the round ends.

The Marik forces retreat and regroup with their scout lance, heading back. We claim the field and get the salvage.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:20 AM   #393
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Just remembered that I never mentioned how we get salvage. There are conditions under which we get the mech.

1). If the pilot is killed. This can happen by the pilot taking a bunch of damage or hitting the cockpit on the head.

2). Blowing off the head. This usually kills the pilot, and takes out the mech.

3). Pilot blacks out. After a pilot blacks out, they have a chance each round, based on how much damage they've taken, to wake up. If the battle ends while they are still blacked out, we get the mech.

4). Destroy both legs. A mech with no legs cannot move around and is capturable. Note that a mech with no legs can still fire torso and arm weapons and might still be a threat. Contrary to many other sources, we are not getting salvage from mech's with one leg blown off.

5). Hit the gyro twice. A mech with two or more gyro hits cannot move, although it can fire its weapons. We can salvage it.

6). Overheating. A mech that goes too much over heat has to make shutdown rolls to keep going. If it shuts down, then it can cool down over a few turns, and come back to life. If the game ends while it is shut down, we get that mech.

7). Engine destruction. A mech with three or more engine hits causes the engine to be damaged and it shuts off automatically until fixed. This gest us the mech.

8). Damage to all leg actuators. If a mech has both legs with all four actuators damaged, or one leg destroyed and the other with all actuators destroyed, then we get the mech because it is immobile I've never seen this, but it is possible.

When the center torso section is destroyed, there is a small chance we can recover the internal skeleton of the section. If that succeeds, then there is a small chance we can recover the engine or gyro and fix it. The mech is salvagable as missing the CT inc the engine and gyro. That costs a lot. On the other hand, we could take the remaining parts and sell them or splice them onto other mechs.

When an ammo explosion takes place, any outer parts are blown free and salvagable. Thus an explosion in the torso gives you the arm as salvage, if it is still around. I roll for other parts, such as legs, head, other arm, and other torso, with a high degree of failure for each part. (I need a 10 or higher for the other arm, legs, and head, 11 or higher for other torso).

For a tank, if its engine exploded or fuel tank ruptured or ammo exploded there is nothing recoverable. You also get tanks that have their movement systems destroyed or crew killed. If the side of a vehicle is destroyed, there is a good chance you can recover the vehicle and fix it up. If you can't, there is a good chance you can salvage the weapons.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:38 PM   #394
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Salvage:

Banshee, RT, RA, LA, gyro, engine
Hunchback, RL, LL
Hunchback, CT, LT, LA
Archer, H, RA, RT
Rifleman, CT, RT, RL, LA, RA

Parts:

Hunchy LA
Rifleman RA

To Fix:

Thunderbolt RA, LA
Awesome foot actuator
Catapult LRM15

The Awesome actuator and LRM15 on the Catapult are fixed in a few hours. We also rearm, refit and get ready. The Thunderbolt will not be ready to use for a long time. Because we have full salvage, we can take these mechs and reactivate them as soon as possible. We fix the gyro and engine on the salvaged Banshee in a day of work. We have a Banshee LA and RA in our stockpile of parts for Typhon Company, so our mechs attach the LA to the salvaged mech. That takes a day. We cannot do anything with the RA of the Banshee until we fix the RT. We do not have any that will fit.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:39 PM   #395
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

LEVEL UP - Panther pilot Bryant Mckinnon, a regular pilot, notched his fourth kill and his gunnery skill improves.

Costs:

Ammo: 310,000
Armor: 370,000
Replace (Thunderbolt parts): 960,000

We refit the mechs and get ready to send them back out while techs salvage the mechs on the field.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:38 PM   #396
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

10 February, 3037 - Duncan Marik continues to pressure the defenses of us and the Third Andurien Defenders. Then his forces are surprised when artillery rains down on them from the surrounding hills. Upset at another distraction from his conquest of Xanthe III, Duncan orders his command company and personally leads them out of the city and into the hills to assault the artillery positions.

However, instead of meeting with a few tanks or some minor militia, Duncan runs straight into the entire Fifth Defenders, who absolutely savage his unit. On February 10, 3037, Duncan Marik is killed in combat by stray shots by the Fifth Defenders.

With their leader dead, the Marik troops are unsteady. Our commanders immediately see the opportunity and order all forces to assault the Marik forces. The Fifth Defenders charge down the hills and assault the rear of the Marik position while we charge forward.

The Fifteenth is getting hammered and is breaking apart, but the Tenth are rallying behind Samuel Garibaldi, their commander. Battle is fierce and devastating for the Mariks. We are dispatched to attack with abandon, hitting any targets in our path. The Fifteenth is breaking down into smaller lance sized units while the 10th is holding steady.

We hit a company of 10th mechs quickly after the news gets out that Duncan Marik, the 49th Captain-General of the Free Worlds League has died in battle.

Because of their uneven position, even with increased stability provided by their CO, They will retreat much more quickly. Rumors are flying over the net of Marik troops jettisoning out of damaged mechs that can still fight, and getting pulled away by allies, leaving good salvage behind. I doubt the 10th is one of those, but still, we can expect them to flee quickly if we can establish an upper hand.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:03 PM   #397
Tellistto
College Prospect

Wonder if Duncan had time to say oops?

Tell
Tellistto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 01:02 AM   #398
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Their mechs:

Awesome
Orion
BattleMaster
Hermes II x3
Stinger
Spider
Ostroc
Shadow Hawk
Locust 1M
Hunchback

They are all vets

We do not have our Thunderbolt and only have one assault mech (the Awesome) plus three operational heavies (Rifleman, Catapult, Warhammer). We need to take it easy on the ammo, because they’re will be more fights after this one if we win and can keep going. However, since this is a company v company battle, we need all of our assets, so I may push the ammo issue and put our ammo mechs in front so they take the damage, leaving more efficient designs like the Awesome, Warhammer and even the Rifleman available from future attacks.

The Battle Values are virtually identical since we are down a mech. Let’s hope we can get an early push.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:08 AM   #399
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

One of their Hermes II slips while running on pavement and slides into a building, taking some damage. On the first turn, we exchange fire.

Their Stinger causes a small building to fall when it lands on top, and it tumbles to the ground taking some damage. Their Ostroc hit’s a hip actuator on our Assassin. Our Warhammer hits their BattleMaster’s head with its PPC and tears it off. Dead mech, falling to the ground. Both our Assassin and Warhammer fall to the ground.

I am only using medium lasers on the untouched Catapult and keeping the three remaining tons of LRM ammo for later battles. Their Spider runs and falls on pavement, skidding into a space with our Griffin, which pushes the Griffin out of the space. We stand up the ‘Hammer but fail to stand the Assassin. Our Catapult’s lasers destroy the Ostroc’s LA. A pair of arm actuators are hit on our Griffin. Our Warhammer falls again under on onslaught of weaponry. Our Griffin kciks and destroys the RT of the Spider.

We stand the Warhammer up again. Their Stinger destroys itself when it tries to stand, falls, and hits its machine gun ammo. Boom! Their Orion destroys the RA of our Javelin variant. The Javelin hit’s the gyro and engine before the Panther slices into its head with the PPC and takes out the Spider. Our Phoenix Hawk opens up the center torso of their Awesome and tacks its engine once.

With three of their mechs destroyed, the Marik forces are disheveled from their leader’s death, and choose to withdraw rather than keep fighting.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:01 AM   #400
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Salvage:

BattleMaster H
Spider, H, RT, RA, engine, gyro

Parts:

Spider RA
Stinger H

To Fix:

Assassin Hip
Griffin actuatorsx2
Javelin RA

Ammo Left: Dervish - one ton of LRM Ammo, Catapult, one ton of LRM ammo

Armor Replacement: 220,000
Ammo: 95,000

Our Griffin, Assassin, Warhammer and Javelin are not capable of continuing due to savaged armor, so they help is securing salvage, while our remaining seven mechs continue. Our techs take fifteen minutes to add armor to replace the minor damage the remaining seven mechs had, and they move on.