Coming Soon.

Sneak preview:

Spoiler

MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:11 PM   #2
MJ4H
Coordinator

Meet the Terriers

Will Hoskins is a new signing this season for the Huddersfield Terriers. Joining the team at the midway point, at the start of the January 1st transfer window, Hoskins moved down to League One from Championship side Watford. Hoskins told the media he wanted more time on the field as a first-teamer, and Huddersfield has obliged, making Will a starter for every game except one so far. In 7 appearances, Hoskins has 2 goals and 3 assists, while being named Man-of-the-Match one time. His average rating through those 7 games is 6.97.

Hoskins has made 101 appearances throughout his 8 year career in professional football, notching 27 goals (15 of them in the 06-07 season for Rotherham in League One). His signing was greeted by lots of excitement from Huddersfield's supporters.

Spoiler

Old 07-21-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Heh!

Ironically, I signed him as Port Vale a couple seasons ago in my current game.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:49 PM   #4
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Heh!

Ironically, I signed him as Port Vale a couple seasons ago in my current game.

How did he do for you? I was pretty excited about landing him, but he's had many of 1v1 opportunities where his first touch cost him a good chance. I'm beginning to think his 15 is an over-rating. He's still a vast upgrade over what I had, though.

Current League One Table
Old 07-21-2009, 02:52 PM   #5
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
How did he do for you? I was pretty excited about landing him, but he's had many of 1v1 opportunities where his first touch cost him a good chance. I'm beginning to think his 15 is an over-rating. He's still a vast upgrade over what I had, though.

Precisely my thoughts. He's *good*, and was a distinct improvement for me, but he's not the scoring machine I expected, and blows a lot of easy ones. (Though that could be the stupid match engine, too).
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:18 PM   #6
MJ4H
Coordinator

Recent results for Huddersfield:

Oldham 3 (Hughes 40, Butler OG 45, Davies 53), Huddersfield 2 (Hoskins 38, Roberts 69)

Huddersfield 2 (Worthington 14, Hoskins 25), Bristol Rovers 1 (Lambert 7)

Northampton 3 (Constantine 4, 69, Henderson 45), Huddersfield 4 (Mahon 28, Hoskins 48, 56, Beckett 72)

Huddersfield 3 (Booth 5, Hoskins 48, 90), Yeovil 1 (Roberts 58)

Hereford 2 (Baudet 32, Barker 53), Huddersfield 2 (Parker 51, Roberts 59)

Huddersfield 3 (Jevons 13, Butler 21, Goodwin 59), Millwall 0

Obviously Hoskins has come on like gangbusters since his introduction to the world in this thread, scoring 6 goals in 4 games. He was injured in the Millwall game and will be out for no more than a week or two hopefully.

The League One table looks significantly better now, and, as you can see Huddersfield, even though we are in 12th place, is within sight of the playoff spots. Four points back with 7 games to go is not insurmountable.

Last edited by MJ4H : 07-21-2009 at 10:22 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:13 PM   #7
MJ4H
Coordinator

I'm going to make these videos for important weekends, I think. Several of those coming down the stretch of this season. Here is my first attempt. Let me know what you think.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:35 PM   #8
MJ4H
Coordinator

Recent results since the draw with Hartlepool:

Huddersfield 3, Brighton 0
Leyton Orient 0, Huddersfield 1
Huddersfield 2, Tranmere 0

This was pretty much the exact sort of run we needed to get into the hunt for a playoff spot (1 and 2 auto-promote, 3-6 playoff for the 3rd promotion to the Championship).

With 3 matches to play, Huddersfield is in 8th place, 2 points behind Millwall in 6th place. Very doable.

Will Hoskins has blown up and now has 15 goals in 18 appearances for Hudderfield in League One matches. He had a hat-trick, accounting for all 3 goals in the Brighton match, accounted for the lone goal against Leyton Orient, and scored both goals against Tranmere. Crazy run for him.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:15 AM   #9
MJ4H
Coordinator

Final results for the season:

Scunthorpe 3, Huddersfield 0
Huddersfield 2, Leeds 0
Swindon 3, Huddersfield 1

Unfortunately, we probably would've needed to win all 3 of those to have a shot (in fact, 79 pts would've made the playoffs--and 79 is what we would've finished with after 3 wins).

Final position in the table was 10th with 73 points.

Promoted teams:
1st place: Leeds
2nd place: Leicester
Playoff winner: Scunthorpe

Playoff teams: Scunthorpe, Brighton, Swindon, Southend

Relegated teams:
Walsall, Tranmere, Hereford, Northampton

New teams in League One for next season:

Promoted from League Two:
Port Vale, Morecambe, Shrewsbury, Lincoln

Relegated from Championship:
Plymouth, Coventry, Southampton

Off-season: Signed Nicky Adams (AM RLC) to 190k/year (160k transfer fee from Leicester). Flexible midfielders were a big puzzle-piece missing last season. Adams is a perfect fit. Next up is to upgrade the back four a bit.

Hoskins and Jevons/Booth are pretty solid at the front, midfield is adequate, back four is relatively weak. Not sure I have enough left to upgrade the back four this season, but I will try a few experiments and see what happens.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:30 PM   #10
MJ4H
Coordinator

The 09-10 season is underway. Halfway point is nearing, and it has been a better start than last season, but the Terriers are still underacheiving. The frontline has gone cold and most of the scoring is coming from midfielders. To complicate matters, the backline is collapsing under pressure regularly. We are still top half of the table easily, but this is at least a playoff team in my mind.

I have bought a defender to help out, but he isn't enough. When he comes on board in January I will show him off a little bit. More details to come, but in the meantime here are some highlights of our league match against Peterborough:

Old 08-03-2009, 06:10 PM   #11
MJ4H
Coordinator

Results so far this season:

Huddersfield 1, Shrewsbury 0
Southampton 1, Huddersfield 0
Huddersfield 2, Morecambe 0
Hartlepool 2, Huddersfield 1
Colchester 0, Huddersfield 0
Huddersfield 2, Swindon 2
Huddersfield 1, Cheltenham 0
Bristol Rovers 0, Huddersfield 0
Huddersfield 2, Yeovil 0
Hudderfield 0, Plymouth 0
Port Vale 0, Huddersfield 0
Coventry 2, Hudderfield 0
Huddersfield 3, Peterborough 0
Lincoln 1, Huddersfield 1
Huddersfield 1, Carlisle 1

Currently sitting in 9th place, 1 point in differential behind Carlisle, both with 25 points. 6 wins, 7 draws, 3 losses. Not bad, but way too many draws and not putting enough into the back of the net. Will Hoskins has 5 goals this season. Not nearly enough. I was very encouraged by how he closed last season, but he seems to have reverted to his underperforming form. No one else has more than 2 goals (Butler, Booth, Beckett, Roberts).