Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-11-2009, 10:02 PM   #51
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

1924-1925 Offseason

I certainly have a good amount of money to work with, but this team has not done well in the last seven years. After winning back-to-back championships in 1915 and 1916, they haven't made it back to the series and finished in 7th place twice.

They finally had enough of their manager, and after firing him after this past season, they hired me to turn things around.

This is likely my last chance. If I screw this up, I'll be relegated to minor league coaching for the rest of my career.

We made a few key additions. For reference, our total budget is $590,000.

Our new catcher is Josh Starck. Last season his .324/.390/.445 line really impressed us. The 29-year-old is signed for five years for $115K/y.

We signed minor-league castoff Landon Kemp. He hasn't made an appearance in the big leagues yet, but he's a cheap signing that we'll give a shot.

Finally, we filled our hole at 3B with Brian Franz. He's really a versatile infielder and can play every position, and does it well. His best asset is likely his defense.

JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:20 PM   #52
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

1925 Final Standings

We matched the Gothams record from last year, and I really do feel like we added some key pieces. The big issue now is that we have some guys getting into their late 30's so they're slowing down and we have zero minor league depth right now.

Our pitching was decent, but our bullpen was not good. We'll have to look at updating them in the offseason.

Offensively, I'm very happy. New guys and old guys did great.

Franz tells us he wants to test free agency. I may try to get him back but we'll see what's out there.

--

14th Annual Presidents Cup Series: Brooklyn Tip-Tops def. Chicago Orphans, 5-4
Old 10-11-2009, 10:21 PM   #53
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Aah, okay. Well hopefully this goes a bit better for you than Boston, eh? The financial constraints are certainly problematic, I bet...I know the conventional wisdom is that doing a rebuild in fast-sim is better than slowcook because it doesn't take much time IRL to do it, but...I just don't enjoy them. I guess it's being a real life Blue Jays fan that does it to me.

I like that you have a team in Reading. Neato.

Hopefully he can get it together here and keep them somewhere in the middle of the pack or even better.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:21 PM   #54
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Boo, 4th place, just outside the money. Hate when that happens.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:24 PM   #55
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Aah, okay. Well hopefully this goes a bit better for you than Boston, eh? The financial constraints are certainly problematic, I bet...I know the conventional wisdom is that doing a rebuild in fast-sim is better than slowcook because it doesn't take much time IRL to do it, but...I just don't enjoy them. I guess it's being a real life Blue Jays fan that does it to me.

I like that you have a team in Reading. Neato.

Hopefully he can get it together here and keep them somewhere in the middle of the pack or even better.

I actually do enjoy re-builds...but when you get fired after two or three crappy seasons, it's tough. But that's what makes it fun at the same time.

Something about getting a year or two but then having to make a big move after a couple losing seasons. Makes it seem like a team who needs to prove to it's fan-base that they are trying to win.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:26 PM   #56
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Apologies to anyone who saw the HOF entries...I loved them. But I hated doing them. I get stuck in this with every dynasty I do, so I need to focus on doing things that are fun for me.

If you didn't see them, you'll have no idea what I'm talking about. Move along!
Old 10-11-2009, 10:28 PM   #57
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I loved reading the HOF entries. I thought they were a nice touch. But I'd have a hard time doing them too. I prefer to do that sort of thing for guys who are "my guys" like retiring their numbers or whatever.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 10-11-2009 at 10:28 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:30 PM   #58
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
I actually do enjoy re-builds...but when you get fired after two or three crappy seasons, it's tough. But that's what makes it fun at the same time.

Something about getting a year or two but then having to make a big move after a couple losing seasons. Makes it seem like a team who needs to prove to it's fan-base that they are trying to win.

Yeah, GMEXcel has really changed the way I play. Because it's made it interesting. I can't ever recall feeling under the hot seat in solo play before, so it's a neat twist to things, for sure. Much less having to wait until I'm allowed to go to a new team. I'm a team jumper, so it's way different for me.

Oh, I changed the formula in my sheet too, initially to 65, then I thought about it and rationalized that 55 was fair because prior to my title I'd had 2 90+ win seasons and LCS appearances and 3 straight playoff appearances. That should make a guy a hot commodity you'd think and GMEXcel wasn't letting me go much of anywhere. I did like that it was hard, but...it seemed almost unrealistic.

So I altered it and I'll leave the 55 in the new version that I'll someday perhaps maybe upload.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:36 PM   #59
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

1925-1926 Offseason

We lost a reliever and our third baseman, Brian Franz. He did great for us in his one-year deal, and we may offer him a chance to come back, but I'd love to get a real star here.

We have $88,000 left for contracts this year, and while that probably won't land us a superstar, we can definitely get a great player.

We land Matt Tatum, a 26-year-old reliever whose only experience is in the minors. I think he can handle the pressure.

For third base, we sign defensive stud J.D. Steadman who formerly played for Buffalo. If he can put up something similar to his .284/.344/.368 line last year, I'll love him. He signed a one-year deal for $9,000.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:37 PM   #60
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I loved reading the HOF entries. I thought they were a nice touch. But I'd have a hard time doing them too. I prefer to do that sort of thing for guys who are "my guys" like retiring their numbers or whatever.

Yea...of course now I'm thinking of some kind of utility that would write those things for you.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:42 PM   #61
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Funny that you mention Reading, DC, because I think they're moving.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:55 PM   #62
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

1926 Final Standings

After starting off 2-10, I thought we were headed towards another Boston-like fiasco.

While it wasn't that bad, we still came in last place which is a horrible disappointment. The pitching was dreadful.

The hitting was solid, but we're about to lose multiple position players.

J.D. Steadman had a TERRIFIC season (.321/.359/.426), but will test free agency. I want him back. Short stop Mark Avery will also test the waters.

--

15th Annual Presidents Cup Series: Philadelphia Keystones def. Brooklyn Tip-Tops, 5-4
Old 10-11-2009, 11:25 PM   #63
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

1926-1927 Offseason

Our infield is about to undergo a big renovation. 2B, 3B, and SS are all holes we will need to fill.

I also cleaned out my pitching staff and now need two more starters and a reliever. I call up Brandon Wilson, Pat Keith, and reliever Kevin Ramsey.

In an interesting turn, we not only bring back last year's 3B J.D. Steadman, but we also bring back the guy Steadman replaced, Brian Franz. One will play 3B, the other SS.

To fill in at 2B, we sign another defensive-minded player Ralph Smith. Our defense should be great this season.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:38 PM   #64
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

1927 Final Standings

Another pathetic season. I don't know what's going on.

I have one more season to turn things around. I'm desperate and will do whatever short-term things I need to do. Most of the team is coming back.

16th Annual Presidents Cup Series: Brooklyn Tip-Tops def. Philadelphia Keystones, 5-4
Old 10-11-2009, 11:48 PM   #65
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

1927-1928 Offseason

The free agents have filed, and we have $119,000 to land the savior of my career.

We have all of the spots filled on offense, and I'd really love to use the money to land a top-flight starter.

In the end, we end up with starter Mike Hall. He's a 32-year-old that signed a 4-year deal with us.