Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #101
RendeR
Coordinator

AKA we live in a sue-happy society that gets whatever they want for fear of bad press.

Yes I understand this, its pathetic.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #102
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
No it really IS that simple, and it goes right along with the Big Tobacco shit too.

The players KNOW when they're hurting, they KNOW when something isn't right with thri body. You do not reach that level as an athlete without being intimately aware of your body and how it reacts to injury.

Its the same BS with Tobacco. Why the fuck should anyone pay out billions of dollars because people are stupid enough to suck SMOKE into their LUNGS? They KNEW it was a bad thing to do yet they did it anyway.

I am SO not impressed with giving cash prizes for unabated stupidity.

Because when the tobacco companies actively lied about the effects of cigs and they were caught making their product more addictive, they incurred additional liabilties as they should have. A bad choice by one individual does not absolve the responsibility of bad choices by another.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #103
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
Because when the tobacco companies actively lied about the effects of cigs and they were caught making their product more addictive, they incurred additional liabilties as they should have. A bad choice by one individual does not absolve the responsibility of bad choices by another.

So because your stupid and the Tobacco company is stupid, then you should get a cash payout and they should be the ones to pay it.

People get lied to all the time, that doesn't absolve you from the ramifications of your choice. It is common knowledge that you DIE from smoke inhalation. Smoking a cigarette is what? Oh yeah, smoke inhalation.

I smoked long and hard enough that my doctor told me stop or end up dead in 10 years. I stopped. I have ZERO sympathy for anyone facing the same judgement who fail to change their ways. They do not deserve compensation from anyone.

As for the Tobacco companies, yes they should have been penalized, heavily, but as to where that money should go? Not to the undeserving who knew what they did to themselves to begin with, thats for certain.

As for the NFL situation, no one should believe that players do not understand what can happen to them out there. While everything that can be done to protect them as much as possible SHOULD be done, that doesn't make it the Leagues fault when bad things happen.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:10 PM   #104
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
So because your stupid and the Tobacco company is stupid, then you should get a cash payout and they should be the ones to pay it.

People get lied to all the time, that doesn't absolve you from the ramifications of your choice. It is common knowledge that you DIE from smoke inhalation. Smoking a cigarette is what? Oh yeah, smoke inhalation.

I smoked long and hard enough that my doctor told me stop or end up dead in 10 years. I stopped. I have ZERO sympathy for anyone facing the same judgement who fail to change their ways. They do not deserve compensation from anyone.

As for the Tobacco companies, yes they should have been penalized, heavily, but as to where that money should go? Not to the undeserving who knew what they did to themselves to begin with, thats for certain.

The law doesn't work that way. You claim to advocate personal responsibility, but poor choices by one person doesn't mean someone else's legal liability is absolved because they knowingly made a harmful product (and then made it more addictive). The tobacco companies tried to put forth that very argument in court. Guess what? It didn't work.

FYI, it's "you're stupid". So is your point. If you'd like to continue this discussion, open a new thread.

As for the NFL's liability in regards to concussions, there will be a multitude of different legal issues discussed. Since the NFL players are employees/contractors and not consumers, the level of necessary care may be different. Furthermore there will be questions of "what did the NFL know and when did they know it" as it relates to concussions. Concussion identification and MRI technology have come a long way in recent years, so the NFL may be absolved of some of the liability if they could not properly identify and protect against concussions. Saftey equipment has continued to evolve and therefore the NFL can point to safety precautions and rules instituted over the years (things like banning the head slap, for instance). On the other hand, if the NFL is shown to have purposely suppressed concussion evidence, that's going to hurt them greatly in a court of law.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:10 AM   #105
A-Husker-4-Life
College Prospect

it's official:

NFL Bars Ball Carriers From Using Helmet Crown To Make Contact « CBS DC

How long will the NFL survive? How will this effect college football?
Old 03-23-2013, 09:11 AM   #106
molson
General Manager

I love how all the headlines deliberately try to make the rule seem broader than it is, just to rile everyone up.

To answer your question, obviously the NFL will fold around week 3, maybe week 4. College football will at first gain popularity with the reduced competition, until they realize they've had this same rule all along. Then they'll immediately fold as well.

Last edited by molson : 03-23-2013 at 09:12 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote