Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-08-2014, 08:43 PM   #1
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

MEN OF ROME!(RTW, Interactive)

** A quick housekeeping note: this first post will be used as a source of all needed reference materials. The most recent campaign map, cast of characters, and other vital information will be kept here and updated throughout. I'm looking for as many good men as are willing -- optimally, I will have very few decisions to make in this project as the plan is to have most of the key characters under the control of the community. Sign-up info will be presented later in this post. This is not a mere 'sign-up' game, those who will join will have significant input into decision-making and forming the future of Rome.

For now, let me present the essentials. This project will use to original Rome: Total War, not the hideous disaster that the sequel unfortunately became(though the community may eventually save it to some extent). I'm using the brilliant RTR7(Rome Total Realism) mod which I think is one of the greatest mods ever made. The team spent longer on it than CA did making the original game, and the work shows. Those who have played the vanilla but not RTR will not recognize many features, so I won't assume any knowledge of the game here.

THE SETTING

It is generally believed that the city of Rome was founded some 250 years prior to the republic in 750-760 B.C., give or take, but there is little but various unsubstantiated myths pointing to any specific date or set of circumstances.

The Roman Republic, depending on whose scholarship you trust, came into being around 509 BC. The final king to rule Rome, Lucius Tarquinius Superbus, was overthrown and the concept of electing two consuls to annual terms was born. The next couple of centuries found the Republic at war more often than not with surrounding cities and villages, wars started sometimes by themselves and sometimes by others. In 387 B.C., a punitive expedition by Gauls under Brennus defeated the Romans and the city itself was sacked. Perhaps the most likely of many myths is that Brennus was bought off with a price of a thousand pounds of gold.

The Republic soon showed it's resilience. They had been beaten but not destroyed, and three wars of expansion known as the Samnite Wars occupied most of the period from 350 B.C. to the early third century. At their conclusion, a couple of important changes had been made. The aristocratic patrician class had been forced to yield near-equality with the passing of the Hortensian Law to the much more numerous commoner plebian class, and militarily the 'manipular legion' had been borne out of the Gallic and Samnite conflicts, proving a more effecting fighting force than the previous militia-based approach.

Italian Peninsula, 280 B.C.

This brings us to present-day in our story. Rome has made herself a significant power in Italy, having expanded to control the central portion. The Gauls and various independent provinces remain to the north, while most of the southern lands maintain loyalty to Greek masters.

This balance of power was not to last, nor was it really expected to. A new chapter in the Roman story is about to unfold, with a new, more dangerous enemy. King Pyrrhus of Epirus has landed in southern Italy with a large army at his command to challenge the upstart Republic. With Carthago waiting for the opportune moment to the south and a score of smaller factions making their own plans, the Mediterranean is about to descend into Total War.

Who will answer the call of Rome?

ROMAN LEADERSHIP SYSTEM

** This feature of RTR7 is the biggest reason I'm using this mod for the project, and it provides a career path based loosely on the 'cursus honorum' for the great men of our time. The progression is as follows:

* Cavalry Commander -- After being adopted/born and come of age into the 'royal family', command of a personal bodyguard unit of cavalry is bestowed. Five years of service here is required, during which the youngster is not qualified to be in charge of anything more significant. Any settlement or army under their command would be far better off without them there -- they can serve only as couriers for someone of actual importance or as a possibly useful addition to an army with their cavalry.

* Military Tribune -- After the five years of service are up, eligibility for Tribune is achieved. Tribunes typically defend border provinces against aggression.

* Quaestor -- After a total of 15 years of service, the authority to govern a settlement of moderate importance may be granted.

* Aedile -- 5 years after first serving as Quaestor, the rank of Aedile allows for governing of key provinces.

* Praetor -- After another 3 years, an appointment as Praetor is possible. Along with being highly respected in their ability to govern major cities, they have a general remit to defend nearby Roman territory against any aggression.

* Consul -- 3 years after first serving as Praetor, the highest level of Roman achievement can be reached. Consuls go wherever they think they are needed. They are the only officials with the authority to launch offensive military campaigns, but are also trusted to see to domestic affairs anywhere they see fit. To be a consul is to have one's name written prominently in the history of the Republic. The fact that there are two of them has been proven over more than two centuries to be an effective check on any abuses of power.

CARTOGRAPHER'S REPORT

Latest update: Spring, 275 B.C.

Northern Italy

Southern Italy

Rhegion, or the 'toe' of Italy

STATE OF ROME, 273 B.C.

Provinces: 25(10 major, 15 minor, no change/+1)
Navy: 540(-55%)
Army: 110.4k(-4.1%)
Citizenry: 323.9k(+5.9%)
Annual Income: 252k(+3.7%)
Annual Profit: 39.5k(15.7%)
Treasury: 11.4k(+78%)

Wars: Dynasty of Aiakides, Republic of Cathargo, Genua(Independent Ligurian town in NW Italy)
Alliances: Kingdom of the Aedui(one of two major Gallic factions, the other being the Arverni).

Other neighbors**: Bononia(neutral, barbarian town to the north in Italy)

This denotes relations we have with any other provinces neighboring Roman lands not listed in the Wars/Alliances, presented for a complete picture of those around us.

Senate Ballot, 274 BC

Consul Appointments: Laevinus Coffeium and Mus
Adoption: Balanced
Diplomacy: Calculating
Tax Policy: High
Spending Policy: Extreme Military Focus

'FAMILY TREE'

First Generation -- Consul Tiberius Coruncanius(died, 274 BC), wife Pompeia(65). Daughters Poppaea(48), Alypia(45), Claudia(44), Marcella(43)

Second Generation -- Coruncanius has four daughters, and each of their husbands joined his line by marriage. Consul Laevinus Coffeium(49) married Poppaea, and they have three sons; Decius(14), Marcus(10), and Augustus(5), along with adopted 'son' Galerius Pupius Puso(30), married to Arria(25). Aedile Luscinus(38) married Alypia, and they have two sons, Tribune Amul(21), Luca(7), and Tertius(2), along with a daughter in Ocellina(4). Quite the gap there. Tribune Lepidus(32) is the husband of Claudia and their children are Fadia(20), along with sons Commander Manius(17), Valerius(6), and Sextus(4). The final marriage was that of Praetor Mus(45) to Marcella, and they have a single son, Cassius(7), and two daughters, Leontia(3) and Magia(1).

Third Generation -- Tribune Lawcius(22) married in(Fadia), with a pair of daughters already born to them in Dryantilla(4) and Domitia(1). Tribune Amul(21) was the first natural child to come of age. His wife Hostia(19) has borne a daughter, Honoria(3). Commander Manius(17) joined the fray more recently, and his wife is Octavia(13). As of yet they have no children.

SIGN-UPS

Your role, should you choose to accept it, will be to RP your chosen character's opinions on general Republic policy, and to make specific decisions relative to his station when the occasion warrants(which will be fairly often). More details on this will be forthcoming, but this should be enough to get the ball rolling.

Chosen Character: 'New' if you want to be put on the waiting list for a new character to come of age/be adopted, otherwhise which character from the list you want to take. First come, first served, there'll be plenty for everyone down the line.

Nickname: I won't be renaming the characters themselves(don't think the game supports it), but I can refer to them via any designation you wish to come up with, no matter how ridiculous(just don't make it profane)

Understanding The Legions

We're far enough in now that there's beginning to be a greater range of experience and equipment among the ranks, including our own soldiers. Because of this I'm going to start adding a little more detail to the army part of the briefings for those who might be interested in it -- it has been asked about from time to time already.

Each of these elements adds to fighting effectiveness, experience gives a small boost across the board and has a ten-point scale(I'll just use 1-10 to keep it simple), weapons and armor add to the effectiveness of attack or defense and have four levels, which I'll interpret as Basic, Fair, Good, or Excellent as the case may be.

The first battle at Herakleia for example featured Roman units at the lowest level across the board, green with no equipment upgrades, while most of Pyrrhos' army had 5-6 experience and were a mix between Fair and Good quality equipment. By comparison, most of the units we can recruit are between 0-2 experience with Fair weapons/shields. A few unit types, like the Funditores, will eventually be phased out since as slingers their weapon is rocks -- these cannot be upgraded. The quality of new units is determined by the facilities in the province they come from, which can be upgraded(at a significant cost).

Experienced line infantry is particularly difficult to achieve, since they tend to die and need replacing before they have enough combat success to significantly improve. It tends to happen more often with cavalry/missile troops which in favorable engagements don't lose nearly as many men.

I'll add this blurb to the OP and try to clarify any questions there might be. The basics of it are pretty straightforward, but as with all things the consequences can be more complex.

CLAIMED CHARACTERS

Laevinus Coffeeium(Coffee Warlord)
Mus(Chesapeake)
Lawcius(law90026)
Amul(DavidCorperial)
Manius(mrtourette)

WAITING LIST

Open

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 08-07-2014 at 08:46 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:59 AM   #2
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I am Publius Valerius Laevnius, better known as Laevinus Coffeeium, Consul of Rome.

Greco delanda est. Greece must be destroyed.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 06-09-2014 at 08:00 AM.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:42 AM   #3
law90026
College Benchwarmer

New for me please. The story of a young officer who rises through the ranks and becomes Caesar never gets old. Plus the orgies.
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:39 AM   #4
chesapeake
College Starter

Honorable men of Rome, I am Publius Decius Mus, Praetor and governor of Rome. Until I earn a name from my worthy deeds, I will simply be known as Mus.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:28 AM   #5
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I've encountered an unexpected technical difficulty, I'm expecting to get it sorted later today and get this show on the road.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:00 AM   #6
DavidCorperial
High School Varsity

A new one for me as well please.
DavidCorperial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:18 PM   #7
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Maps and claimed characters added to the initial post. More info will be added shortly, but this is one of those moments in history where time does not permit the laying of careful plans.

PROLOGUE: HERAKLEIA

Laevinus Coffeium, King Pyrrhos and his army approach for battle! Force assessment:

Your command numbers just under 26,000 men. It is largest army presently fielded by the Republic, nearly a third of the total force -- in fact, one of every ten Roman citizens is here under your direct authority. However, with the exception of your personal cavalry these are raw recruits with basic equipment. This is not to say they are unskilled, particularly the 1800 or so triarii, elite spearmen which are the best infantry in the Republic. But they are not yet battle-hardened.

Pyrrhos's army is much different. You outnumber them somewhat(estimated 22,000 strong) but they are highly experienced and have good to excellent weapons and armor, superior in almost every respect. The elephants at his disposal are particularly intimidating, and Roman arms have not yet been tested against the Greek phalanxes he commands, considered the best fighting force in the Meditteranean world.

Laevinus Coffeium, you are now on the clock. Will you stand and fight against King Pyrrhos, or will you 'conduct a strategic withdrawal'?

You have 48 hours to respond.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 06-11-2014 at 12:22 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:03 PM   #8
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Rome does not run from Greek scum.

The time of the Greek is over. The time of the Roman is at hand.

ADVANCE THE LEGION.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:24 PM   #9
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Lol, good answer. Not that I was really in doubt about what your decision would be ...
Old 06-12-2014, 01:55 PM   #10
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Battle of Herakleia
Spring, 280 B.C.

The first rendering shows the vantage point of Laevinus Coffeium as the Greeks begin their approach. They had interposed themselves between the Romans and Herakleia, but this had given him choice of terrain on a hill overlooking the waters south of Italy. In the background can be seen the Aiakid fleet which controls the waterways, and over the far ridge lies Herakleia itself.

They wasted no time in charging up the slope, with the elephants wreaking havoc on the right flank of Laevinus' lines.

At the other end of the hill, Pyrrhos attempted to turn the other flank with his numerous cavalry, and the Romans were forced to meet him with some of their beset spearmen. Perhaps too eager to press his advantadge, the Greek king met an early demise ...

Despite the loss of their leader, the phalanx formation continued to press up the hill. For some time it was unclear who would have the upper hand.

The beasts on both flanks proved too much for Coffeium's men to overcome. Though some of the elephants fell, they took scores of his soldiers for each one they lost, and with his limited cavalry decimated early on, the left soon caved as well. Pressed on three sides, they were eventually chased from the battlefield by their relentless enemy

Herakleia was a disaster for both sides. The Romans had lost, but neither could say to have truly won. The Aiakids lost their leader and best general in Pyrrhos, along with 4,000 men. Laevinus Coffeium survived, but his command was decimated to the tune of more than 18,000 -- his force is now only a third of what it was, and he had no choice but to retreat to Grumentum.

The southern border is now in serious jeopardy, as it is unlikely the remaining forces there would be able to repel a significant attack ...

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 06-12-2014 at 11:26 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:27 AM   #11
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

With that, it's time to get into our first 'cycle', each year the Senate will convene and various decisions will be made(unless a major event requires an emergency session mid-year). First, I will update the map(already done as mentioned) and also update a few key facts in the OP under the headline of the

STATE OF ROME

Provinces: 19(8 major, 11 minor) ** Look, for example, at the first of the initial maps(Northern Italy). Those locations labeled all capitals(ROMA, ARRETIUM, etc.) are major provinces: minor provinces are not all caps(Volsinii Novi, Senna Gallica, etc.). Minor provinces are essentially smaller villages and towns which provide relatively small amounts of tax/trade income, but they will never develop into major provinces, you can't recruit new troops/build most structures there, etc. They are relatively unimporant and not worth major sacrifices to defend, at least in most cases. For example, while they are the majority in number, the minor provinces comprise only about 15% of the Republic's initial population base.
Navy: none
Army: 63,400
Citizenry: 160,650
Annual Income: 147.1k
Annual Profit*: 24.95k(17.0%)
Treasury: 125k

* This is with taxes set to Normal in all of the major provinces, the initial Senate ballot could change this amount.

Wars: Dynasty of Aiakides, Genua(Independent Ligurian town in NW Italy)
Alliances: Republic of Cathargo, Kingdom of the Aedui(one of two major Gallic factions, the other being the Arverni).

Other neighbors**: Bononia(neutral, barbarian town to the north in Italy), Messana(allied independent town in NE Sicily, just across the straits from Rhegion)

This denotes relations we have with any other provinces neighboring Roman lands not listed in the Wars/Alliances, presented for a complete picture of those around us.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:07 AM   #12
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Senate Ballot

These are the default starting settings: i.e. the positions of the Senate prior to the Battle of Herakleia.

Consul Appointments: Tiberius Coruncanius, Publius Valerius Leavinus('Coffeium').
Adoption: Exceptional
Tax Policy: Normal
Spending Policy: Balanced

Ballot Explanations

** Consul Appointments -- Consuls are appointed to annual terms. For now, and for at least the next two years, this is a mere formality as we need two and have only two qualified candidates(it is possible to have one or even zero if, for example, someone dies without a qualified replacement). The time will come when there are more than two and this actually becomes a rather important decision. For now, the vote is automatic.

** Adoption -- There are two ways for a new 'character' or 'great man of Rome' to enter the game. One is by a son of a sufficiently important 'royal' line coming of age(at 16), the other is by someone being sponsored for adoption by a benefactor. There are presently four young men(ages 3, 7, 10, and 14) who will be used to supply places for those on the waiting list even if we do nothing -- and more of course will be born in the natural course of things. Those who are adopted by a benefactor, unless they 'marry into' this royal line, will not have their children automatically join. More leaders is of course a good thing in theory but they and their personal cavalry must be paid for the lavish lifestyle befitting a favored son of Rome. There are of course certain, ahem ... *appetites* which are expected to be catered to. And for the first five years one will be paying them to do nothing. Another thing to consider is that adoption candidates sometimes are in their mid-30s or older: such a person would be very unlikely to live long enough to qualify for the more senior and important offices.

Options for this policy are Always(take every candidate), Exceptional(take only those with good potential, i.e. young and talented), and Never(take no candidates, let the natural process of birth and maturity fill out the leadership).

** Diplomacy -- The general policy of Rome towards other factions. Options here are Cooperative(Attempting to build up good will by agreeing to all deals except highly disadvantageous ones), Calculated(Taking all agreements, esp. trade treaties, that will benefit us and rejecting those will not), and Xenophobic(Rejecting almost all agreements out an aggressive distrust of foreigners).

** Tax Policy -- High taxes mean more income in the short-term, with more of the army required for garrison duty in order to keep order in the larger provinces and less population growth, meaning less taxpayers and army recruits in the future. Options are Minimal(low taxes across the board to stimulate growth), Normal(balance between short and long-term concerns), and High(maximizing income). High does not necessarily mean Very High taxes everywhere(in some situations, the garrison required would actually mean a net loss of money). It simply means the tax setting that is the most profitable in the short term.

** Spending Policy -- This policy defines the priority of the Republic inl dispursing it's treasury. Options here are Mobilization(maximizing the funds available to Prateors and Consuls, and to a lesser extent Tribunes and other governors in increasing the armed forces for military operations), Development(maximizing the funds available for new industries and infrastructure), Savings(the Republic will attempt to gradually grow the treasury accounts as a hedge against future emergencies), or Balanced(a modest savings will be preserved, military and economic interests will receive moderate investment).

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 06-13-2014 at 02:08 AM.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:29 AM   #13
chesapeake
College Starter

You knew it had to be a Pyrrhic victory for the Greeks.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:56 PM   #14
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

The latest Senate vote enforces a couple of changes: Taxes are up to High and Spending will focus on the Military in order to mobilize for combating the Aiakid threat. Troop levies are ordered from all major population centers, and Consul Tiberius Coruncanius moves his army south to aid Laevinus Coffeium. It will likely take him more than a year to arrive, however ...

With these developments budgets can be dispursed and specific orders given throughout the Republic.

Waiting List

law90026(278 or sooner)
DavidCorperial(274 or sooner)

Those are dates at which a new Roman son will come of age: if there's no adopted leader by that time, you'll get a character then.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:25 PM   #15
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Briefing: Praetor Mus

Location: Roma -- population 50k, stone walls for defence, 240% public order(anything over 100% is stable with no penalties)
Troops: 4,860 Hastati, 320 personal cavalry, 5,180 total.
Agents: Decius(spy, 21, 0 skill) and Valerius(diplomat, 21, 0 skill)

With Coruncanius heading south, you now have responsibility for defending not just the area around Rome but also the entire northern half of the Republic. There are three issues on which your orders will be required:

Roma Build Orders

As governor you must choose what the province will next build. As the capital, Roma commands the lion's share of discretionary spending and so your budget is for immediate purposes limitless. Choices:

** Improved Fishing Village(5940 den., 5 seasons) -- Increases sea trade via the addition of an additional trading fleet
** Paved Roads(33,210 den., 13 seasons) -- Improved trade, public order(+15% law bonus), improved speed of travel
** Academy(20,700 den., 11 seasons) -- Improved public order(+10% law bonus), improved education means leaders in Rome have an increased chance of positive traits
** Arena(20,700 den., 11 seasons) -- +20% tax income, allows for gladiatoral games to be held, +10% public order(happiness)
** Odeon(20,700 den., 11 seasons) -- Theatrical productions are produced here, allowing for a 5% increase in public order(happiness)
** Roman Baths(21,600 den., 13 seasons) -- 5% increase in public order(happiness)

Location Orders

As your remit has changed with Coruncanius' departure, you can either remain at Roma or move to some other location to better defend the Republic in which case another official will take charge of the city, From Roma, travel time in good weather is estimated to take 2-3 seasons to reach the northern border.

Troop Requests

The Senate will appropriate new recruits to your command as they are available. Most will be sent to the consular armies heading south but a significant number will come to you as well for your command. Every effort will be made to follow the typical manipular legion in terms of troop types unless you request otherwhise. That typical assembly is as follows:

** Mostly infantry, about half core Republican troops(Hastati, Principes, Triarii in order of increasing skill and decreasing number) and half Oscan/Etruscan/Campagnian troops from the outlying provinces which are generally not quite as good but far more numerous: at this point, only Roma itself can recruit Republican maniples.
** Modest numbers of missile troops(Funditores/Velites)
** Small numbers of limited cavalry(Equites)

If you wish you may request assassins/spies/diplomats to be added to your command, or build forts/watchtowers in strategic locations that don't have a city nearby to watch over them. If so, the size of your army will be decreased: your funding will remain constant, it's up to you where the denarii go.

Praetor Mus, the Senate has spoken, and you are on the clock.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:07 PM   #16
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Briefing: Consul Laevinus Coffeium

Troops: 340 cavalry, 420 missile troops(almost all Funditores), 3820 Republican infantry, 3880 Oscan infantry, 2840 Campanian infantry, 11,300 total.
Agents: none

Grumentum Build Orders

The province is not rich or large enough to justify anything other than harbor improvements, which are not particulary important in the present situation.

It is expected that you will remain near Grumentum until your fellow consul arrives from the north: however, you have the authority to do as you wish. If you wish to press another attack and where it is at your discretion.

Troop Requests

The same options are available to you as Praetor Mus. Replenishing your army is a top priority of the Senate.

Consul Laevinus Coffeium, the Senate has spoken and you are on the clock(48 hours).
Old 06-16-2014, 07:44 AM   #17
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Legio II 'Conquistadores' orders new infantry to replenish the ranks.

And we wait. For now.

But if the Conquistadores fail me again, their Legion's name shall be removed from the Senate rolls.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 06-16-2014 at 07:46 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:11 AM   #18
chesapeake
College Starter

1) Pave the roads.

Now for some questions:
What is the intelligence regarding our enemy in the NW, Genua?
What is the makeup of the army that Coruncanius is moving south?
Is it just the one Greek army in the south, formerly headed by Pyrrhos?
As Rome's praetor, Do I get to order the diplomat and the spy?
Old 06-17-2014, 03:05 AM   #19
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Feel free to ask all the questions you want, good ones too.

Q: What is the intelligence regarding our enemy in the NW, Genua?

A: Not much. It is estimated to be a town of 5,000 to 10,000, fairly small as 'major' provinces go. A fairly large army of unknown composition is holed up in the town itself, and nothing is known of other forces which may or may not be in the surrounding province. Mountains separate the Roman settlements and also some considerable distance, shielding any movements. A well-developed fishing industry is there but nothing else is known of the economy other than that there is a fair amount of activity.

The situation/intelligence has not changed in some years. It is a 'cold' war, if one can even call it that -- but of course nothing would be more natural than for an enemy to wait for an opportunity when our eyes are elsewhere.

Q: What is the makeup of the army that Coruncanius is moving south?

Mostly Republican infantry, with small amounts of missile troops/cavalry and a few auxilia. About half are the best of the surviving veterans of the Third Samnite War, cavalry and Republican infantry that are somewhat better equipped and more battle-hardened than those defeated at Herakleia. He has at present 14,400 men in all, a number that is expected to grow somewhat with the new troop levies but it is a respectable army as it is.

Q: Is it just the one Greek army in the south, formerly headed by Pyrrhos?

To our incomplete knowledge yes. Of the known enemy forces, those are by far the best being the elite troops from Epirus across the Adriatic, and approximately the same number are divided between the four Aiakid provinces in southern Italy, the largest number of which are at Tarentum in the east, or 'heel'. We have incomplete intelligence, particularly with Laevinus having been forced to withdraw.

Q: As Rome's praetor, Do I get to order the diplomat and the spy?

Yes, they are attached to your command and you may do with them as you wish(including terminating their service and using the money for additional troops).
Old 06-17-2014, 08:59 AM   #20
chesapeake
College Starter

Priority 1 is the hot war.
1) I am transferring the spy to the command of the junior consul, Coffeium, to use to scout the Greeks to the south and to open the gates for the legions prior to Rome's inevitable victory.
2) I need to add some missile troops to my army if it is to be effective. Then I need another unit of horse for flanking and running down the enemy as they flee the field. Then add infantry. We'll sit tight in Rome for the time being.
3) Send the diplomat up north towards the Genuae. Would he be captured if he travelled into Genua, or is he considered safe because he is a diplomat?

Do you have a link to the RTR7 mod? I'd like to have a better idea of the gameplay.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:10 AM   #21
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I am sending that spy back to my co-consul to murder him if he ever calls me a "junior" consul again.

(I kid.)
Old 06-17-2014, 01:40 PM   #22
chesapeake
College Starter

You're the younger of the two, so junior you are. Me, I aspire to be the junior consul. I am simply a lowly praetor.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:33 PM   #23
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

ROFL at a 'lowly praetor'. Yes, third-highest ranking official in the Republic, such an embarrassing position :P.

Quote:
Would he be captured if he travelled into Genua, or is he considered safe because he is a diplomat?

I think it's possible to attempt to kill a diplomat with an assassin, but that would be the only way and I've never heard of it happening. I would definitely expect him to be safe.

Mod forums are located here at TWC: RTR VII

Orders received.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:34 PM   #24
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

And as for you, Laevinus ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
I am sending that spy back to my co-consul to murder him if he ever calls me a "junior" consul again.

Spies can't do that. They like, do spy stuff. Assassins kill people .
Old 06-17-2014, 02:47 PM   #25
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
ROFL at a 'lowly praetor'. Yes, third-highest ranking official in the Republic, such an embarrassing position :P.

"Lowly" just in relation to his loftiness, the Junior Consul. I understand that I can still score chicks as Praetor.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:11 AM   #26
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

280 B.C.

The year began rather smoothly, with thousands of new soldiers trained and along with any who could be spared from existing provincial garrisons they made their way south to Grumentum. Roadway investments in Roma, Capua, Arriminium, and Arretium would take some time to reap any benefits, but were nonetheless important as well. The treasury quickly shrank to a fraction of its original size under the weight of these demands, despite the new taxes.

In the summer, Quintus Aemilius Lepidus was appointed the office of tribune and ordered to make the hazardous journey through hostile territory to Rhegion. Young, expendable, talented in command of defense, he seemed to the Senate to be the perfect candidate. It was thought best that Aedile Arvila be reassigned to a safer and more economically important province, perhaps one of the border cities in the north.

Meanwhile, Quaestor Caius Fabricius Luscinus arrived at Capua, where he will be expected to guide the largest city outside of Roma itself to greater prosperity. The largest province in the southeast, Arpi, began work on a wooden pallisade to provide some semblance of defense.

Autumn brought a bit of drama, in two respects. First, the honorless dogs that make up the village of Cannae have had the disloyalty to join the Aiakid cause. It is suspected that a sizable bribe was involved, proving that despite the death of Pyrrhos, they have no intention of letting us be in southern Italy.

The spy Decius passed through Venetia and close enough to Cannae to pick up bits of information, some of which indicated that the Aiakid diplomat Acaeus was responsible for this outrage. He was able to ascertain with a high degree of confidence that no enemy forces were close to Cannae, and so the garrison from Arpi was sent to teach our brethren the penalty for such treachery. Specifically, this was a contingent of 1600 Oscan Javelinmen. They entered the village unopposed, and the status quo was restored for the time being.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:30 AM   #27
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Two respects were mentioned: here is the second.

Intelligence Report, 280 B.C., Autumn
Author: Decius
Respondent: Consul Laevinus Coffeium

Potentially of significance to your office are the following observations of the situation in southeast Italy(diagram attached below for your review).

Possibly most significant is that the remains of the army led by Pyrrhos are at this point nowhere to be found. The most likely scenario seems to be that they have moved west, possibly in the direction of Rhegion, but it should be emphasized that at the moment all I can say for certain is that I don't know where they have gone.

The largest Aiakid holding in Italy is Tarentum(approx. 45000 pop., nearly as many as Roma), where the bulk of their forces that I can account for at present are located. In it's vicinity I estimate there to be approximately eight to ten thousand men under arms, under the command of Mikon, a man of limited ability.

Moving west, Herakleia has only a modest garrison, but a young general named Aegon has had the affrontery to station himself at the border of Roman territory. He has additionally built a watchtower which to my eyes appears to be just inside our borders. Aside from those horsemen loyal to him personally, no other forces appear to be in the immediate vicinity.

Consul Laevinus Coffeium, Decius awaits your instructions. Should he remain in his position, or do you desire more information from him on the situation further southeast(the heel) or west(towards Rhegion and the toe) perhaps?

Secondly, what response if any do you wish your army to make in regards to Aegon? You are advised that Tiberius Coruncanius is just north of Capua at this time and is not expected to reach the southern front until late spring or early summer of next year. As such, this choice is yours and yours alone.

Laevinus Coffeium, you are on the clock -- Decius and your legion await your orders.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:50 AM   #28
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Legio II shall march on this upstart Aegon. Should he refuse battle, we will march on Herakleia.

Decius shall turn west / southwest, to the toe of Italia.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:03 AM   #29
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Coffeium moved south to engage Aegon and was able to cut off his most natural escape route, leaving him to escape north towards Grumentum. He was hard to pin down as he used the mobility of his cavalry to evade engagement until he was confronted on a hill southeast of the city itself -- not by the consul's army, but by reinforcements from the north and garrison from Grumentum itself.

By this time it was winter, and the situation complicated by the report from Decius that the remainder of the elite Aiakid force had been spotted. They had indeed moved west, but came back east with word of Coffeium's incursion. They were not nearly close enough to interfere with this battle, but any attack on Herakleia would have to involve dealing with them.

The Battle of Grumentum
Winter, 280 B.C.

It would more properly be termed the Skirmish of Grumentum. Three Roman captains, with Gnaeus and his Equites in overall command, faced Aegon and his cavalry. Further south, Laevinus Coffeium's army can be seen in pursuit.

A show of force by the more numerous Roman cavalry was met with a defiant charge through a hail of javelins. Aegon's heavier horsemen hoped to overcome their lack of numbers through courage and the weight of their attack.

Oscan infantry soon joined the fray for the Roman side, and Aegon fled a clearly unwinnable battle.

Though few of his men survived, the Aiakid general himself escaped the battlefield with his life. In all, 260 were killed at a cost of about 160 Romans.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:26 AM   #30
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

The time for celebrating the victory would be short indeed. The primary Aiakid army, now under the command of a lesser general, Kristobolous, did not wait for better weather in the spring but chose to attack Laevinus Coffeium without delay. Also different this time was that he was outnumbered, 18000 to about 14-15k for his army.

Battle of Lucania ** Lucania is the name given to the province of which Grumentum is capital. The battle takes place a fair distance south and a bit east of the city itself **
Winter, 280 B.C.

At the outset of the battle, velite skirmishers hid in the grass, enduring the bitter cold of driving rain as they awaited the approach of the enemy.

After an early feint by the Tarentine cavalry briefly drew the Roman horsemen out of position, the main body approached with their elephants causing the usual carnage.

Kristobolous himself was driven off, and Coffeium's men were able cause some damage to their missile troops. Unfortunately, these small victories were but footnotes to the fact that the rampaging beasts and superior phalanxes of the Aiakid main line once again decimated his legion's ranks. Nearly all of his best troops made this forest their graveyard, and once again the day ended with the remains of Roman might fleeing in disarray.

Back to Grumentum the survivors fled. The butcher's bill was not much different that at Herakleia less than a year earlier. 4,800 of the enemy were vanquished, at a cost of 12,300 of our brave men.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:43 PM   #31
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

279 B.C.

The map and facts have been updated for the new year.

STATE OF ROME

Provinces: 19(8 major, 11 minor, no change
Navy: none(no change)
Army: 78,140(+23%)
Citizenry: 170,800(+6.3%)
Annual Income: 201.8k(+37%)
Annual Profit*: 54.8k(27%)
Treasury: 22.6k(-82%)

The Republic's borders have not changed. Increased taxes have funded a larger army and the population has grown despite those lost in the battles with the Aiakids in the south. As a result of all this the treasury has taken a beating and the balance is expected to remain low as long as the current crisis remains.

The sole pressing concern at the moment is dealing with the Aiakid threat. Tiberius Coruncanius is weeks away from Grumentum now and it is hopefully considered probable that the city can last that long against Kristoboulos should he advance. A massive battle involving both consular forces in the region is considered likely in the summer or fall of this year, a battle which could prove strategically decisive in this war. Analysis of the reports submitted by the spy Decius reveals that the other Aiakid forces in southern Italy are not nearly of the quality as those Pyrrhos brought across the Adriatic from Epirus.

Despite their success against our legions and the estimated 30,000 men lost fighting them, those elite troops have suffered significant attrition and are now just over half their original number. If ... and it's a big if ... the combined might of Coruncanius' and Coffeium's armies along with the reinforcements that are constantly streaming south can defeat them, overall superiority on the southern front might be established soon thereafter. If, on the other hand, their elephants and phalanxes continue to defeat us, our influence in southern Italy might soon be at an end.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:57 PM   #32
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

SENATE BALLOT

Speaks for itself. The Senate demands all possible measures be taken to recapture the legionary eagle, but it is certainly evident that Kristoboulos will have to be defeated first.

Consul Appointments: Tiberius Coruncanius and Laevinus Coffeium. There are no other suitable candidates yet.
Adoption: Exceptional
Tax Policy: High
Spending Policy: Military

These proposals are unchanged from the last year, the situation seeming to demand the most urgent action for the war in the South, in the minds of the Senate.

WAITING LIST

law90026(278 or sooner)
DavidCorperial(274 or sooner)

There have been a couple of adoption candidates shot down already, only one was really suitable and that case will be discussed in the briefings.
Old 06-20-2014, 05:12 PM   #33
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Briefing: Praetor Mus
Army: 4,920 Hastati, 1,650 Principes, 1,620 Oscan Infantry, 2,420 Etruscan skirmishers, 320 personal cavalry, 10,920 total men
Agents: Diplomat Valerius(22)

Equites from the north are expected to soon arrive to make the final addition to your command as cavalry support. Until the roads project is completed, you have no domestic responsibilities in Roma.

Valerius'

Having reached Genua, his information can be seen on the 'Northern Italy' rendering. The people are of barbarian origin, with Keltoi and Ligurian troops of considerable quantity. It is estimated about twenty thousand defend the city, but no movement or aggressive action of any kind has been seen. They are generally brave but considered to be of somewhat inferior training. Some have weaponry of high quality, others very limited equipment. Cavalry appears to be limited, but as a diplomat Valerius can only tell us what can clearly be seen and his information is incomplete. There is no immediate threat so long as they are content to defy the Republic from a distance, but would pose a significant threat if they chose to.

Praetor Mus, you may give any additional orders to Valerius or your army if you choose, or offer proposals to the Senate of any policy changes you may wish to advocate. There are no obvious pressing matters in need of your immediate attention. You are on the clock.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:16 PM   #34
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Briefing: Consul Laevinus Coffeium
Troops: 240 Principes, 80 Triarii, 1820 Oscan Swordsmen, 600 Campanian Hoplites, 260 Oscan javelinmen, 800 Funditores, 1600 Velites, 1380 Equites(various types), 480 personal cavalry, 7,260 total men

The Senate is being surprisingly forgiving in your case. They continue to recognize, at least so far, that you were outmatched in both of your disastrous defeats, though in some quarters the decision to pursue Aegon before your fellow consul could arrive in the south is being called variations on impetuous and foohardly. The main reason for their forbearance is the simple fact that you are irreplaceable at present.

Despite the dishonor of the legionary eagle being stolen there is little you can do at present but wait. Coruncanius will arrive soon, and some while behind him newly appointed Tribune Secundus Cornelius Dolabella is journeying south to take command of the defense of Grumentum, which will free you from that responsibility.

The Senate did find one practical way to register its displeasure however. Garrison Commander Manlius Vulso, who had been put forward in your name as an adoption candidate, has been rejected. Vulso has only modest talent for command but an astute and curious mind, and is yet reasonably young at 21 years old. It is very likely he would have been approved for greater service without the Senate's need to send a clear if indirect message of their reaction to the way Roman honor has suffered on your watch.

Consul Laevinus Coffeium, the Senate is prepared to hear and ignore any policy proposals you might wish to make, and Decius continues to monitor enemy activity. Other than that, you have no real practical alternatives other than to prepare the city for a potential siege. Your reputation is likely to suffer more severely if the next battle does not go better .. .

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 06-20-2014 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:57 PM   #35
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

We wait. Fucking elephants.
Old 06-21-2014, 09:55 AM   #36
chesapeake
College Starter

It seems unwise to pick a fight in the north while our lunch is being eaten in the south. A watchtower or other observation post would be helpful to monitor the Genuans.

Are the Etruscan skirmishers missile troops?

How many total troops will we have in the South when the Senior Consul arrives? Will we have overwhelming force or would my 11,000 troops make a significant difference?

Who else borders Genua? Any allies of ours? If not, Valerius needs to find us one to keep some pressure on Genua to stay put until we are ready to wipe them out.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:26 PM   #37
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Q: Are the Etruscan skirmishers missile troops?

Yes, they're armed with weapons similar to javelins.

Q: How many total troops will we have in the South when the Senior Consul arrives? Will we have overwhelming force or would my 11,000 troops make a significant difference?

Between 25 and 30K, but it's too late for that at this point: it would take a year for you to get there and by then the issue will have been decided.

Q: Who else borders Genua? Any allies of ours? If not, Valerius needs to find us one to keep some pressure on Genua to stay put until we are ready to wipe them out.

To the east of Genua and north of us there is an independent town(Bononia) that is our allies. North of that we know the Gauls are out there somewhere, but we don't have any specific knowledge of where or what civilizations lie beyond the Alps.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 06-21-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:48 PM   #38
chesapeake
College Starter

Alright. I guess I sit tight in Roma and await the resolution of the war in the south. Am I correct in thinking that a Praetor cannot lead an army outside of our own borders?

If there is minimal risk to Valerius talking to the Genuans, we might as well have him do that. Stalling them is important right now.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:31 PM   #39
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Correct, your remit is anywhere in the borders of the Republic, but leaving would A) be unauthorized and B) result in massive penalties to your abilities(essentially your men would not be inspired to fight for a man exceeding his assigned station).

Valerius will parley and we'll see what happens.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:53 PM   #40
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

279 B.C.

Kristoboulos, aka public enemy #1, laid siege to Grumentum as anticipated.

This set the stage for a massive battle with the fate of the Republic hanging in the balance. Would the third time prove to be the charm? Meanwhile, Valerius's negotiations with the the Genuans proved to be fruitless -- he was told they 'have better things to do than listen to his pathetic mewling', and a young garrison commander was given the Senate's stamp of approval:

law90026, consider this your official welcome to the game, with Vibius Marcius Phillipius as your alter ego. You now begin your five years of useless service as Cavalry Commander, and will be tasked with educating yourself in Roma, for now at least under the watchful eye of Praetor Mus, and preparing yourself for a life of honorable service. At the end of that time, if the gods have deemed you worthy by not striking you dead for some minor act of insolence, blasphemy, negligence, or having the unmitigating gall to merely exist, the Senate will appoint you to a tribunate if available. You have moderate talent, and seem best suited at this time to be a general with a focuse on waging war defensively.

You owe this new commission to Quaestor Caius Fabricius Luscinus, who put forward your name to the right people. Your fortunes shall rise and fall together. You are now called upon to reveal your chosen nickname, without which you will simply be known as Phillipus.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:26 AM   #41
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Second Battle of Grumentum
Summer, 279 BC

The day had arrived. If Coruncanius delayed much longer, Kristobolous would have equipment prepared to assault the city. He didn't need much, a mere pallisade, a flimsy wall of wooden poles, protected the people and Coffeium's army from his men. More men were coming, more men were always coming, but the issue would be decided with those who had arrived at this point.

The two previous defeats had seen fairly equal numbers of men taking the field, but this time the Republic had two advantadges. First, Tiberius Coruncanius was every bit the equal of Pyrrhos as a general and better than Coffeium, Kristobolous, or any of the other known Aiakid commanders in Italy. Secondly, the combined Roman armies of more than 27,000 outnumbered the attackers two to one. The interlopers had to be stopped here, or many more would pay the ultimate price.

Krisbolous began well, choosing a very defensible hillside to position his army. The ranks of infantry knew they would have to face him wherever he was.

He was not prepared to deal with Coffeium approaching from the northwest or the auxiliaries who had just arrived from the west, and in his indecision forfeited the high ground to Coruncainus who wheeled around him, and soon a pincer was formed in the valley.

His forces divided, he tried to crush Coffeium but could not off the fresh forces of Tiberius Coruncanius while doing so. Eventually it was one of the javelinmen in Laevinus' army that ended his command permanently ... another Aiakid general lay dead by Roman hands.

Even so, the late afternoon brought rain and the elephants tore through the lines of the infantry as they had before. The loss of their leader had not broken their spirits.

There was yet much light left on the hill when the last holdouts of the proud Greek phalanxes broke and gave up the struggle. Coruncanius knew this day would end differently than the report he had received of the defeats last year. The hill had belonged to the enemy in the morning, in the evening it would be back in Roman hands and Grumentum secured.

The Aiakids were crushed. Under a hail of javelins and constant pressure from the legion, the seemingly invincible elephants were eventually taken down. Only a thousand of the enemy made it off that hillside alive, and even those abandoned the fight, seeking refuge where they could in anonymity. An estimated 12,400 fell, the last of the great army of Pyrrhos.

Laevinus Coffeium's men bore the brunt of the losses with half his strength lost, another 3,600 men. Coruncanius received relatively light casualties of only about 1900 men and still has over 18,000, the largest force by far now in southern Italy.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:03 AM   #42
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

The fall of 279 brought a couple of significant developments. Our Messanian allies in Sicily have been betrayed by another ally, the powerful Republic of Cathargo. A massive(as in, possibly upwards of 50,000 combined soldiers involved) battle seems inevitable according to Aedile Arvina who is about to be relieved but is still in the governor's suite as Rhegion. The Carthaginians are led by Mago, heir to the throne, so this is not some minor expedition they are engaging in.

This situation demonstrates the somewhat fluid state of diplomacy in the ancient world. The term 'alliance' would perhaps better be regarded as 'convenient friend of the moment', given that the Republic was previously allied with both sides(Messana and Cathargo) -- and after the declaration of hostilities, we're still allied with both sides! The dastardly betrayal hasn't changed a thing, we are allied with two sides that are now enemies and preparing to kill each other by the thousands, and nobody in the Senate sees a problem with this.

Consul Tiberius Coruncanius is the only person in a position to potentially do anything about this, and even he really isn't when you consider it would take him a year to reach Messana, by which point the issue would already have been decided. The most he could do is avenge the city if it falls, and starting a second war against the most powerful potential foe presently in existence might be lacking in common sense.

So we do nothing, and root for the Messanians. But it is also worth considering that honorless dogs from Carthage have shown their true colors ...

On the Aiakid front, the situation really forced a strategy upon the two consuls who now were in the welcome position of forging an offensive strategy. The Senate has wanted Thourioi taken for some time, and Laevinus Coffeium must capture Herakleia post haste to redeem Roman honor and capture the lost legionary eagle.

Coruncanius heads west along coast to Thourioi with the intention of moving on to Kroton, the current Aiakid capital: Coffeium will march on Herakleia and then east to the populous port of Tarentum at the heel. The tide of the war may have turned, but what surprises the Aiakids have up their sleeves is anybody's guess.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:45 AM   #43
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Coruncanius met the first resistance. Philiskos met him on the road to Thourioi with a modest but not altogether insignificant army. He gave ground at first, then tried to make a stand at a village halfway to the consul's destination. In the drawing below, Oscan javelinmen and Velites lead the army on approach, while the enemy banners can be seen in the foreground and Thourioi is somewhere in the foothills just below the horizon.

Just beyond the village to the west, the enemy javelinmen were engaged first and soon found themselves decimated by Roman projectiles.

Their phalanx countrymen fared a little better ...

But not much. Coruncanius chased away Philiskos and the rest of the army from the rear, and soon the enemy right flank caved and headed for ... anywhere else but here.

The local Tarentine spearmen, known to most as the 'Whiteshields', were by far the bravest of the enemy. In this case, their reward was slaughter as they were surrounded and cut to pieces by our finest men.

Philiskos escaped with a little over a thousand men and retreated to Thourioi, nearly 90% of his initial army destroyed. Coruncanius suffered not insignificant losses of 2900, but his campaign continues and by winter siege preparations were under way outside Thourioi.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:41 AM   #44
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Lawcius shall be my name
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:03 PM   #45
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Lawcius it is.

Laevinus Coffeium probably could have strengthened his position by waiting for further reinforcements, as his army was quite limited. However, so were the defences in this area, and he would not suffer honor(his, Rome's, both) to be sullied for a moment longer.

There were a couple units of light infantry outside Herakleia sent to bolster defenses, and Coffeium took after them first. He attacked at night to prevent the garrison from coming out and assisting them, and it wasn't much of a fight. Here, Roman spearmen can be seem pursuing the shattered remains of the Aiakid ranks.

Laevinus destroyed the relief force, none of the estimated 3300 he faced lived to tell the tale, while his casualties were only a little over 500. Having dispensed with that complication, the siege began -- winter or no.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 06-24-2014 at 11:04 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:46 AM   #46
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

278 B.C.

Map etc. updated.

STATE OF ROME

Provinces: 19(8 major, 11 minor, no change)
Navy: none(no change)
Army: 91,000(+16%)
Citizenry: 183.4k(+7.3%)
Annual Income: 206.8k(+2.5%)
Annual Profit*: 42.72k(21%)
Treasury: 20.29k(-10%)

The principal development of the past year was unquestionably the destruction of what remained of Pyrrhos' army by the two consuls, and subsequently the reversal of fortunes in the war against the Aiakids in southern Italy. The first expansion of Roman territory in over a decade seems to be imminent, with Thourioi and Herakleia appearing unable to repel the consular armies surrounding them.

The recent spring thaw brought news on a variety of other topics as well. The siege at Messana has been broken, ending with the armies on both sides largely intact. For now Mago's intentions are unclear. A more pressing concern for the Senate and people of Rome is that a rebellion has begun near Asculum under a man by the name of Decimus.

On the domestic front, road upgrades have recently been finished around Capua, Arretium, and Ariminum, with the effect that travel through most of the northern Republic is considerably faster -- for both soldiers and merchants. Roma is still a little over a year from finishing it's more difficult and expensive upgrade.

A new priviledged young Roman has come of age -- Amulius Fabricius Luscinus, eldest son of Quaestor Caius Fabricius Luscinus, has been given his first responsibility as a cavalry commander. DavidCorperial, this is your moment of entry into the story and you may submit a nickname at your leisure. You will shortly journey to Roma to studay alongside fellow untrustworthy incompetent Lawcius.

Consul Laevinus Coffeium and Praetor Mus, the Senate is considering possible changes to Roman policy with the newfound security and the recent victories in the south. You may now submit any thoughts on these matters if you choose(existing Senate Ballot is in the OP as always for your review).
Old 06-25-2014, 07:36 AM   #47
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Until the Peninsula is Roman, there should be no changes in policy.

We should, however, be preparing our fleets. The Greeks may be on the run, but they have a place to scurry to. Upon securing our own lands, it will be time for the Roman banner to be planted in Greece itself.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:03 AM   #48
DavidCorperial
High School Varsity

Amul is ready to go to help save the nation.

Last edited by DavidCorperial : 06-25-2014 at 02:41 PM.
DavidCorperial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:37 PM   #49
chesapeake
College Starter

We probably should start building up a fleet to start controlling access to the peninsula. But the army should still come first.

What's the intelligence on the rebellion near Asculum?
Old 06-25-2014, 02:27 PM   #50
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

That will be part of your briefing, Praetor . The Senate was leaning towards reducing taxes and troop levies, but the counsel of the two of you has convinced them to maintain the current policies in place.