Coordinator

Team of destiny. That was one of the best shots I have ever seen. Wow

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 10:16 PM   #504
PilotMan
Head Coach

One for the history books. You can't write a finish any better unless it's UCLA winning with the upset.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 10:18 PM   #505
Galaril
Pro Starter

So guess it was always going to be 1 vs 2 at least it was more dramatic this time and with with no blue bloods.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 10:18 PM   #506
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
OMG

Better than Laetner. Best buzzer beater of all time

Close, but no
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 10:20 PM   #507
MrBug708
Head Coach

Sucks to lose but it was a great postseason. Took a miracle to to the Zags as far as we did and a miracle shot to knock us out.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 10:22 PM   #508
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Well. The good news is you will be bringing back this entire unit next year.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 10:27 PM   #509
JPhillips
General Manager

Cronin is a heck of a coach.
Old 04-03-2021, 10:32 PM   #510
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Well. The good news is you will be bringing back this entire unit next year.

We shall see.

Side note - If I never see that "block" in Cody Riley again, I won't complain. Ugh
Old 04-03-2021, 10:51 PM   #511
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Fuck the NCAA always, but both the women's games and these men's ones have been full of some good endings. That Suggs shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
OMG

Better than Laetner. Best buzzer beater of all time

It will be once they secure the perfect season, yeah.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 04-03-2021 at 10:52 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 12:45 AM   #512
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22
A razor thin margin between being out of the tournament in the play-in game against Michigan St and playing in the National Championship tonight is proving. UCLA lost one of its better players for the year early on this year.

Not to mention barely making the tournament to begin with.

Also ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Wouldn't bet on it.

Referring to the likelihood of the men's final four having a lot of drama in it. I was very wrong, for about the umpteeneth time this tournament. Let's just say I've been wrong more often than right this year.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 09:03 AM   #513
miami_fan
Coordinator

A bit random. I missed not having the Sports Reporters show on TV this morning after the games last night.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 12:45 PM   #514
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
A bit random. I missed not having the Sports Reporters show on TV this morning after the games last night.

man that was a great show....
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 08:47 PM   #515
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Next year at Michigan will be interesting. Dickinson and a couple others are back but nine seniors on this year's team and Wagner's expected to go pro. Theoretically elite group of recruits coming in. This will be the year it becomes more Howard's team than the roster that Beilein built.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 04-04-2021 at 08:47 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:04 PM   #516
Atocep
Coordinator

Texas Tech promotes assistant Mark Adams, which is...strange...
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:29 PM   #517
JPhillips
General Manager

Baylor's D is faster than the Zags O right now.
Old 04-05-2021, 08:50 PM   #518
rjolley
College Starter

Gonzaga needed to see this earlier in the season. Seeing this kind of pressure and guard play and length across the lineup this late in the season is hard to prepare for. And, Baylor is up and ready for this while Gonzaga looks rattled.

If Gonzaga can get it under 12 by the break, they have a shot. Otherwise, I don't know if they'll be able to withstand the pressure enough to come back.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:55 PM   #519
Drake
assmaster

Suggs looks almost nothing like the kid who drained a half-court shot to win in OT in Saturday.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:55 PM   #520
JPhillips
General Manager

Does Baylor rest the starters in the second half?
Old 04-05-2021, 09:40 PM   #521
bhlloy
Coordinator

Sure does feel like Baylor went up big there have been more 50/50 fouls called on them
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 10:23 PM   #522
Galaril
Pro Starter

Wow Baylor with quite the final four performance blowing out both opponents by 20.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 10:35 PM   #523
rjolley
College Starter

Congrats to Baylor. What a great tourney run.

The game that may have mattered the most in this one is the Dec 5 Gonzaga/Baylor game that wasn't played. If that game happens, are the Gonzaga players so rattled by seeing the Baylor defense? Are they undefeated still?

Great season by Gonzaga. Very good, well rounded team that came one game short of a perfect season.
Old 04-06-2021, 07:24 AM   #524
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Baylor deserves all the credit they get, but Gonzaga looked slow, tired and off. They were making some mistakes the D didn't have much to do with. Maybe they still lose if they had an easy game against UCLA, but I think this game would have been much better without the OT game 2 days earlier. At least we got to see a real end to the season.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 09:20 AM   #525
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Baylor deserves all the credit they get, but Gonzaga looked slow, tired and off. They were making some mistakes the D didn't have much to do with. Maybe they still lose if they had an easy game against UCLA, but I think this game would have been much better without the OT game 2 days earlier. At least we got to see a real end to the season.

I agree!

Baylor played with so much energy and Gonzaga played like they were expecting to coast to a championship. Very odd considering the Zags were lucky the previous game. Congrats to Baylor.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 10:07 AM   #526
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Not to take anything away from Baylor, but that is a different game if the refs call some of the body checking fouls on the perimeter. I love, love, love Mitchell but he's a great defender because he moves the ball carrier off his line when they drive. Thats generally a foul, but because it wasn't called, they got more brazen with it. Zags number 3 was completely flustered by this and taken out of his game. Suggs was too early, but seemed to rebound.

Again, not to belittle their accomplishment. They shoot unbelievably. But if Mitchell and Butler get 2-3 fouls on hand checks and body checks in the first half, its a different game.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 08:19 PM   #527
Edward64
Head Coach

Kinda glad Baylor won.

No shame in the Hogs losing in the Elite 8 to the eventual National Champion.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 12:06 PM   #528
Atocep
Coordinator

Sean Miller out at Arizona.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 12:28 PM   #529
Kodos
Resident Alien

Bad year for the Millers.
Old 04-09-2021, 03:28 AM   #530
21C
College Prospect

I don't know why but I liked this graph.
Circle Bracket of the 2021 NCAA Men’s March Madness Tournament

Old 04-09-2021, 07:45 AM   #531
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

That's aesthetically pleasing

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:03 AM   #532
Ksyrup

Makes me wish they seeded/grouped the teams by color now.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-09-2021, 01:58 PM   #533
tarcone
Coordinator

Yeah I like that a lot better than a bracket

Old 04-09-2021, 05:03 PM   #534
Kodos
Resident Alien

That’s pretty cool.
Old 04-09-2021, 05:41 PM   #535
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
A ref collapsing like that is scary.

Referee Bert Smith Told He Had Blood Clot in Lung After Collapsing at NCAA Tournament | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

Fellas, it is okay to leave work and get a complete checkup when you pass out on the job.

Quote:
The 56-year-old Buffalo native explained the doctor tricked him into sitting on the stretcher and quickly strapped him in, which led to the memorable photos of the referee looking disgruntled as he was wheeled off the court for further evaluation.

Quote:
Smith said Trammel's work to diagnose the problem and the fact that his collapse came in a crowded environment with medical workers on scene may have saved his life.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 04-16-2021, 04:34 PM   #536
MrBug708
Head Coach

UCLA landed Myles Johnson, transfer out of Rutgers
Old 04-25-2021, 05:35 PM   #537
miami_fan
Coordinator

Wow...

Hall of Fame women's basketball coach Kim Mulkey leaves Baylor for LSU
Old 04-25-2021, 05:40 PM   #538
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

I just read about this possibly happening this morning when I read about Fargas leaving LSU. Surprised it happened so quickly. Great hire by LSU.
Old 05-12-2021, 03:37 PM   #539
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Thought this was kind of cool. Future lottery pick picks UW-Milwaukee (where his dad coaches) over the likes of Duke. Highest recruit in Horizon League history (duh!).

Five-star college basketball recruit Patrick Baldwin to play for father at Milwaukee
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 11:31 AM   #540
miami_fan
Coordinator

To go along with my post in the HSFB thread, this is the other story. This one I think will have more legs moving forward, I am not saying that this is the end of college basketball. I do think it will move us closer to creating a viable minor league system for the NBA outside the auspices of the NCAA.

Matt, Ryan Bewley first high school juniors to join Overtime Elite league
Old 05-21-2021, 12:19 PM   #541
JPhillips
General Manager

How will this league make money?
Old 05-21-2021, 12:29 PM   #542
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Thought this was kind of cool. Future lottery pick picks UW-Milwaukee (where his dad coaches) over the likes of Duke. Highest recruit in Horizon League history (duh!).

Five-star college basketball recruit Patrick Baldwin to play for father at Milwaukee

So how do improper benefits work in this situation? Like if his dad threatened to cut him off or promised to buy him a loaded Escalade if he played for him, does that really break the rules? There were definitely colleges my parents said they wouldn't help pay for.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 11:45 AM   #543
miami_fan
Coordinator

I don't think this needs a whole thread... yet.

High school basketball powerhouses form national league set to begin in 2021-22 season

I don't seek out national HS basketball games and I don't think I would necessarily going searching for any of these games either. We were trying to figure out the European Super League comparisons for college football and boom, it shows in HS basketball. I guess we will see where this goes.
Old 05-24-2021, 11:57 AM   #544
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

I don't know if it will make money but after reading somewhere that 1.6 million people watch LaMelo and LiAngelo Ball play basketball in Ukraine, I am sure someone will watch.
Old 05-24-2021, 01:03 PM   #545
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Quote:
Overtime, created in 2016, publishes basketball highlights, interviews with players from all levels of the sports and original content, including a series following top 2023 recruit Mikey Williams. Overtime investors include Portland Trail Blazers forward Carmelo Anthony and Brooklyn Nets forward Kevin Durant, as was the late NBA commissioner David Stern.

It doesn't really have to make much money directly, it already has money. As long as the investors are willing to keep it afloat with hopes of cashing out later, it could survive indefinitely by just staying in the don't-lose-too-much category
Old 05-25-2021, 06:10 AM   #546
tarcone
Coordinator

Im not sure why anyone thinks this is a money grab, but maybe it is.

Anyway, there is a private girls school in St. Louis county, they are basically a college program. They travel all over the country already. The HC has a feeder program that makes him a ton of money, one of the coaches quit his full time job to just coach the 17u team, because the program makes that much money. Then there are the recruits. The program has sent girls to play for UConn.

I think this is just a natural progression. Those programs already are flush with money, Im sure, and have the ability to raise money pretty easily.

Old 05-25-2021, 11:23 AM   #547
Ksyrup

Curious is this is going to be borne out when schedules are released because it doesn't make a ton of sense.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-25-2021 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-25-2021, 02:38 PM   #548
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
It doesn't really have to make much money directly, it already has money. As long as the investors are willing to keep it afloat with hopes of cashing out later, it could survive indefinitely by just staying in the don't-lose-too-much category

Once they start paying real salaries, even relatively small ones, the costs are going to rise quickly. Rich people spend money on all sorts of things, so this can be sustained at a loss, but if it has to break even or make a profit, can it do that?
Old 05-25-2021, 03:16 PM   #549
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Once they start paying real salaries, even relatively small ones, the costs are going to rise quickly. Rich people spend money on all sorts of things, so this can be sustained at a loss, but if it has to break even or make a profit, can it do that?

These sorts of deals often rely on profit taking down the road. Who knows what sort of investors are involved we haven't heard about, what sort of agent access might be involved, so forth & so on.

I doubt they'd be dumb enough in 2021 to put "we own 20% of your future earnings for the next 20 years" in writing in the agreements but you can bet that altruism doesn't play a role. There's a plan to generate ROI, and I doubt it's all based on selling "tokens" (or whatever that nonsense is called), whether the plan works is a whole other matter.
Old 05-25-2021, 08:43 PM   #550
tarcone
Coordinator

Tampering (?) charges are being leveled at Kentucky in the transfer of Iowa guard CJ Freserick. Seems Kentucky came calling before CJ entered the portal

Just another issue with this whole thing.