Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-20-2021, 05:32 PM   #601
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

On the end, if they want him, and he wants the job, CNN, Jeopardy and Anderson would work it out. It is totally doable and not a deal breaker at all.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 05:46 PM   #602
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I can't believe he'd leave CNN for it, but I always did like him as the host of The Mole.

Just wanted to agree about The Mole...back when scripted reality tv wasn't so drama-filled.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 09:16 AM   #603
QuikSand
lolzcat

Cooper seems like a very good and natural host. Not sure he's my choice, but unless you're affected by other things, he seems really good at it, unsurprisingly.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 07:37 AM   #604
Jas_lov
College Starter

Anderson is good, not great. I don't think he'll be host but I'd be happy with any of them except Oz.

And was the Final Jeopardy bet by 2nd place on Friday the worst of all time? 2nd place had $10,600 and 1st place had $21,200 so 2nd place's only chance is to bet it all but he bets $3,100 and gets FJ correct. 1st place bets $1 and gets FJ wrong so it cost 2nd place the win. It amazes me people get to the show and don't know how to bet or even try to win.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 03:20 PM   #605
cuervo72
Head Coach

I'm about up to the end of Rogers' stint. I think he's been pretty good this second week - varied responses for affirmative answers, gives a little flavor here and there. I don't know that he's the best choice for full-time host (nor do I know that he wants to be), but were he, I could live with it. Definitely has a future in TV if he wants it.
Old 04-26-2021, 06:56 AM   #606
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
And was the Final Jeopardy bet by 2nd place on Friday the worst of all time? 2nd place had $10,600 and 1st place had $21,200 so 2nd place's only chance is to bet it all but he bets $3,100 and gets FJ correct. 1st place bets $1 and gets FJ wrong so it cost 2nd place the win. It amazes me people get to the show and don't know how to bet or even try to win.

My family knows I flip out about this stuff, and that was one of the worst ever. I mean, there is only one defensible bet there, unless you are REALLY focused on the $2,000 / $1,000 differential. Holy cow, I am shocked at how lost so many smart people who know they are going to be on Jeopardy! are about playing Jeopardy!
Old 04-26-2021, 12:13 PM   #607
JPhillips
General Manager

I also get annoyed when people bet when they should stand, and that happens all the time.
Old 04-26-2021, 12:55 PM   #608
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
My family knows I flip out about this stuff, and that was one of the worst ever. I mean, there is only one defensible bet there, unless you are REALLY focused on the $2,000 / $1,000 differential. Holy cow, I am shocked at how lost so many smart people who know they are going to be on Jeopardy! are about playing Jeopardy!

The ones that annoy me are on the Price is Right, granted they are likely less intelligent than those on Jeopardy, but still make some staggering mistakes.

For example, they are bidding on a shiny new air fryer.

Player 1 bids $350
Player 2 bids $500
Player 3 bids $550
Player 4 bids $450 when they should bid $351 if they think $450 is close to correct.

It literally happens multiple times a show and I die a little inside every time.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 06:10 PM   #609
JPhillips
General Manager

Bill Whitaker is, so far, the most Trebek-like of the guest hosts.
Old 05-14-2021, 08:14 PM   #610
QuikSand
lolzcat

Perhaps, but Whitaker lacks enough emotion, I think. He's staid to a fault. Not a real contender, I reckon.
Old 05-17-2021, 09:47 AM   #611
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, at the tiny intersection of J! and stupid politics lies this story:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/04/...-power-symbol/

Sign me up for this p.o.v. by the way:

Kelly Donohue Was Falsely Accused | National Review

more context here: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/16/b...?smid=tw-share
Old 05-17-2021, 10:42 AM   #612
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

That's not even the sign, as far as I've seen. What about all the dudes who throw up the 3-goggles after making a 3-pointer?

I'm glad all of this came after my high school days where we would play the game of making the circle on some body part to get someone else to look, and if they did, you punched the crap out of their arm or leg. Getting off a stealth punch and also taking the punch without making noise became the games within the game. Good times.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 12:21 PM   #613
QuikSand
lolzcat

Back on topic... J! now has a site where you can fill out a bracket on who will win the Tournament of Champions. Fun idea. Too obscure, but could develop into something one day with a prize, maybe.

Perfect Essentials for Your 2021 Tournament of Champions Watch Party | J!Buzz | Jeopardy.com
Old 05-18-2021, 05:50 PM   #614
Jas_lov
College Starter

Buzzy Cohen might be my favorite host so far. He brings an energy to it the others didn't.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 06:34 PM   #615
cuervo72
Head Coach

Random fun fact: I put together the LL flag for the guy who is (apparently) getting flak for his antics in the ToC. (Not up to the ep yet. Also, he is quite skewed category-wise at LL. Very weak in the culture categories relative to his strengths, as he has lamented.)
Old 05-20-2021, 10:48 AM   #616
QuikSand
lolzcat

Buzzy is going to host his way into the conversation, I think. He's very fast (and I wouldn't have thought of that as a thing I wanted, until some of the guest hosts have been maybe 0.3s too slow for my tastes, and now it's on my list of "things") arising I think from his high-level familiarity with the material. He's also pretty natural in conversation, and I wold expect that to improve over time.

Didn't see it coming, I thought he was more of a novelty act. He's strong.
Old 05-27-2021, 11:50 AM   #617
QuikSand
lolzcat

Brutal night for those of us who oddly care about "good wagering decisions" on J!

Jason Z, a strong contender to win it all IMO, holds a modest lead, with only about 6-8 low-dollar clues left, and gets the final DJ question. The score is something along these lines: JZ 12800, Left 11500, Right 3000

Here's one of those "you have to game theory this out" situations, that I acknowledge is really hard to do on television, under pressure, and with only 5 seconds to decide. But my main takeaway is you KNEW you were heading to the Tournament of Champions, you KNEW this situation could come up, didn't you? Couldn't you just add these scenarios on to the study time for great rivers or constitutional amendments or whatnot?

Anyway... Jason inexplicably bets $5,000. Presumably the goal was to assure his lead going into FJ. He missed it, lost the $5k, and finished in a fairly close 2nd to the player on the left.

IMO, the correct bet there is enough to "mainly cinch the lead" without jeopardizing your actual modest lead. If my numbers were perfect above, I'd want him to bet something like $800 or $1,000... get it right and you're really hard to catch with only a few 400s and 800s left, but get it wrong and you still have a legit shot to finish on top and have the FJ advantage that comes with it.

Awful to see. Turns out he DID finish strong anyway, so he definitely would have won even if he had wagered the entire amount of his lead at the time.

Tough way to go out, pal.

They both got the FJ answer correct, so she wins and advances.
Old 05-27-2021, 01:40 PM   #618
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yeah, there's no middle ground there. You either play it safe to keep a slim lead, or you go huge to try to make it a runaway. $5000 gets you nothing in that instance.
Old 05-27-2021, 07:55 PM   #619
QuikSand
lolzcat

It's an indefensible bet, plain and simple. I mean, I disagree with the logic of "I'm hot, or this is my category, so let's push it all in now and put it all away" but at least there's an endgame to that. The 5K bet is just isn't befitting a J! champion.
Old 07-24-2021, 12:44 PM   #620
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

LeVar Burton on Hosting Jeopardy! As a Guest Host, and the Prospect of Filling Alex Trebek's Shoes
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 05:35 PM   #621
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

'Jeopardy' Host Expected to Be Mike Richards - Variety
Old 08-04-2021, 06:09 PM   #622
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

Reading this headline had me thinking they meant Michael Richards, which would've been fantastic.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 08-05-2021 at 08:13 AM.
NobodyHere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 06:55 PM   #623
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The social media backlash is both predictable and in full force. People are . . . not a fan of Mr. Richards as a potential host.

I don't think that the Jeopardy people are playing 4D chess here. But let's say that they have decided on one of the non-Burton choices (Jennings, Rodgers, etc.). But they know that when they announce it, they will get a ton of "We wanted LeVar!" pushback.

So you leak that it is very likely to be Mike Richards. People lose their shit. Then, next week, when it is announced as, say, Robin Roberts, people are more like "thank God it isn't Mike Richards" than "Hey, we wanted LeVar."

FWIW, I think that Burton came off as a bit stiff. I love the person. And I think that he'd settle into the role. And he might still be the best guy for the job in a whole resume sort of way. But if you are just looking at the shows he did, I don't think he stood out in a good way.
Old 08-05-2021, 09:41 AM   #624
QuikSand
lolzcat

Agreed on all of that, alb. We were cheering for Burton, his week did not make the case for him, he'd have to rely on the whole-resume argument, well put.

Richards... bland but probably fine. I don't hate it, but it is about as uninspiring a choice as possible after this whole process.
Old 08-05-2021, 10:02 AM   #625
Ksyrup

From Beauty and the Geek to Jeopardy host. Remarkable if it happens.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-05-2021, 10:21 AM   #626
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yeah. Richards was fine, but not anything special. I haven't seen the Burton episodes yet (we tend to run behind and watch in bunches), but he seems like he'd be good at it.
Old 08-05-2021, 02:34 PM   #627
korme
Go Reds

I am only following along at a distance here. Isn't Richards the EP? Isn't this fishy as hell?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:44 PM   #628
Ksyrup

He is but he does have hosting experience. But yeah, if I were to view this through a skeptical lense, Richards was always the guy and they bought time to work him in rather than do a quick replacement, all the while staying relevant and in the news with the constant parade of guest hosts. It's even fishier when you consider that his stint as guest host was supposedly as an emergency fill-in due to Covid restrictions for whomever was supposed to guest host that week.
Old 08-05-2021, 07:43 PM   #629
QuikSand
lolzcat

he finna get cancelled tho
Old 08-09-2021, 10:39 PM   #630
QuikSand
lolzcat

Meanwhile Matt Amodio is up to 4th on the regular season earnings list, with I think 14 wins after tonight.

He’s very good, very boring, and his quirk is eschewing proper questions and just saying “what is…” even when it’s a person or place. He has far fewer fans than Ken or James at this point.
Old 08-10-2021, 07:30 AM   #631
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Meanwhile Matt Amodio is up to 4th on the regular season earnings list, with I think 14 wins after tonight.

He’s very good, very boring, and his quirk is eschewing proper questions and just saying “what is…” even when it’s a person or place. He has far fewer fans than Ken or James at this point.

My wife--not a frequent watcher--tuned in for the Burton episodes. And she has a visceral dislike for Amodio. She admitted that it was a total gut thing and that he was probably a perfectly nice guy. But he falls squarely into the "stupid punchable face" category for her.
Old 08-10-2021, 11:24 AM   #632
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
he falls squarely into the "stupid punchable face" category

I could see that

Related aside... I genuinely don't know what I would do if I were, someday, cast into that role of returning champion and on camera for what I'm sure is an agonizingly long 9 seconds while Johnny reads off how much money I have already won... I can't imagine any gesture or emotion that has no downside there as being too goofy, smug, annoying, disrespectful, or whatever... or even racist, I guess we've learned.
Old 08-11-2021, 11:48 AM   #633
Joe
Pro Starter

Looks like we’ll have 2 hosts.

Jeopardy’ Set to Announce Mike Richards and Mayim Bialik Splitting Host Duties

Last edited by Joe : 08-11-2021 at 11:50 AM.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 11:55 AM   #634
RainMaker
General Manager

I haven't heard Bialik yet but didn't think Richards was anything special. I was rooting for Burton, but I didn't find him to be all that good.

Judging off a 2-week window is going to be tough because I imagine each host over time will find what works best. If you listen to the earliest Jeopardy episodes, Trebeck was not what he ended up being. So in terms of hiring, I think they should hire the host with the most potential and let them grow into the spot.

The only host I really didn't want is Jennings who speaks way too fast and sounds like he is trying way too hard to be a generic game show host. Weirdly I liked Aaron Rodgers the best but haven't seen them all.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 11:58 AM   #635
Joe
Pro Starter

My favorite was Buzzy and hoped he’d get the gig
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 12:12 PM   #636
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I haven't heard Bialik yet but didn't think Richards was anything special. I was rooting for Burton, but I didn't find him to be all that good.

Judging off a 2-week window is going to be tough because I imagine each host over time will find what works best. If you listen to the earliest Jeopardy episodes, Trebeck was not what he ended up being. So in terms of hiring, I think they should hire the host with the most potential and let them grow into the spot.

The only host I really didn't want is Jennings who speaks way too fast and sounds like he is trying way too hard to be a generic game show host. Weirdly I liked Aaron Rodgers the best but haven't seen them all.

The filming schedule means a guest host is there for two days, right? That's really hard to find your niche in such a short amount of time and reflecton.
Old 08-11-2021, 01:02 PM   #637
JPhillips
General Manager

dola

lol

Old 08-11-2021, 01:21 PM   #638
cuervo72
Head Coach

Hey guys, did you know Bialik is a neuroscientist? Or Jewish? (Don't worry, she'll remind you five nights a week.)
Old 08-11-2021, 02:18 PM   #639
Butter
Coordinator

No she won't because she's only gonna be hosting like 30 eps a year
Old 08-11-2021, 02:23 PM   #640
GrantDawg

I like Mayim Bailik. Good for her! She should have just gotten the gig full time.
Old 08-11-2021, 02:38 PM   #641
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
No she won't because she's only gonna be hosting like 30 eps a year

Ok, she won't. But I still do wish she'd stop with the neuroscientist thing. We know.

As a host, I actually think she did quite a good job. I've just had a (probably irrational) dislike of her since her Blossom days.

Richards just has a bit of that "I'm acting like I'm a gameshow host" feel, to me. Like, I'm trying my best to make it seem like this comes naturally. I dunno, it's hard to explain.

*shrug* Either way I'll keep watching.
Old 08-11-2021, 03:26 PM   #642
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
dola

lol

Nice!
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 04:40 PM   #643
bhlloy
Coordinator

I once saw Mayim Bialik get into a pretty severe car accident on Hollywood Blvd. True story.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 06:37 PM   #644
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

What amazes me is Holzhauer showed us all the blueprint, now obviously the hard part is being talented enough to pull it off. This guy certainly is, yet his opponents are playing so conservatively.

Its like a coach using the 3 yards and a cloud of dust against the Chiefs. They have lost before the game has started
Old 08-11-2021, 06:43 PM   #645
GrantDawg

What I saw says that the boring dude is going to be the daily host, and Mayim is going to host prime time shows and a "spin-off".

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Last edited by GrantDawg : 08-11-2021 at 06:44 PM.
Old 08-11-2021, 07:01 PM   #646
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm still perplexed that they had a big talent search and chose the boring guy no one has ever heard of. Like maybe he'll be good but just seems odd for such a high profile show.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 06:16 AM   #647
Ksyrup

He is EP and led the search. I think this was always the end game. They got a year of space to work in the new host and not have to immediately replace Trebek, plus be constantly in the news as new guest hosts took over every couple of weeks under the guise of "tryouts." The one thing Richards has going for him, unlike most of the guests, is that he is a game show host. Just like Trebek.
Old 08-20-2021, 09:28 AM   #648
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Richards out before he started. Hard to imagine messing up a host search this much.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 09:29 AM   #649
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just give the gig to Ken Jennings. Are there really that many people who wouldn't want to see him?
Old 08-20-2021, 09:31 AM   #650
Ksyrup

It looked like he had survived the first round of digging up old comments, but the stuff from that podcast was too much. If only he had run for president instead...