Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-12-2013, 01:04 AM   #2651
britrock88
Pro Starter

HR, not a priority, but the 15-team tourney option from the conference edit page snaps back to 14 when you exit the page for a given conference.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:31 AM   #2652
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Thanks britrock
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:22 AM   #2653
Comey
College Starter

Are there any historical setups out there, so that the 32-team NCAA has more drama to it? I would love to play with, say, a 1970 setup.

If not, perhaps I will attempt to make one this weekend.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #2654
cadmus2166
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
Okey doke. After a rigorous 1 season of play-testing, this set-up appears RTE-free. It's the confirmed 2014 alignment of teams, with updated team prestige calculated as described above (and conference prestige tweaks as I saw fit). Looks like Fordham and TCU are your best challenges.

Enjoy! Let me know if you run into stuff.

Awesome!! Thanks for sharing this. I look forward to testing this out!
cadmus2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:46 AM   #2655
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
Are there any historical setups out there, so that the 32-team NCAA has more drama to it? I would love to play with, say, a 1970 setup.

I think I have a 1938 at home... there's a 1990 savefile out there... maybe something in between. I'll get back to you tonight.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #2656
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I think I have a 1938 at home... there's a 1990 savefile out there... maybe something in between. I'll get back to you tonight.

The guy who made that 1990 file doesn't have it anymore (me).

But I did do an updated D-II (2013-14 moves) file a few weeks ago. Testing has gone okay on it.

Last edited by murrayyyyy : 02-12-2013 at 03:01 PM.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:04 PM   #2657
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I'm pretty sure 1975 was the first 32 team tourney Comey.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #2658
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
I'm pretty sure 1975 was the first 32 team tourney Comey.

It was. I wasn't being overly specific.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:01 PM   #2659
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
It was. I wasn't being overly specific.

Yeah, it's hard to make a file with the only options being 32 and 64 so I've often wondered how to make a file for the years between 79 and 85. Also I hate the large number of independents back then.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #2660
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Okey doke. After a rigorous [s]1 season[/s] 4 seasons of play-testing, this set-up appears RTE-free. It's the confirmed 2014 alignment of teams, with updated team prestige calculated as described above (and conference prestige tweaks as I saw fit). Looks like Fordham and TCU are your best challenges.

Thanks for your work. sorry I dropped the ball on our previous conversation. the only thing I would argue with is having the BE, C7 and MWC as prestige 5 conferences, but that is easily editable by myself.

Also, why is the highest prestige team a 95 and not a 100? Again, I'm just nitpicking though.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #2661
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
Thanks for your work. sorry I dropped the ball on our previous conversation. the only thing I would argue with is having the BE, C7 and MWC as prestige 5 conferences, but that is easily editable by myself.

Also, why is the highest prestige team a 95 and not a 100? Again, I'm just nitpicking though.

No worries on the harder Excel work. I left the BE at 5 because they're hanging on to a couple teams with good prestige like Cinci and UConn, adding Memphis, etc. Rating the Catholic 7 a 5 came down to looking at their numbers and seeing a strong conference, even without a dominant top team. The Mountain West is really strong - #3 this season according to KenPom - and has lots of prestige ratings in the 70s and 80s to match.

The highest team is a 95 because of the method I used -- the weighted average of Pythagorean records over the last 10 seasons. If somebody had been 1.000 all 10 seasons, look out!
Old 02-12-2013, 09:04 PM   #2662
ValiantJoey
n00b

Does anybody have a logo for the Incarnate Word Cardinals? Got the job offer, but the logo always helps my game experience play better. I was going to download one, but not sure how to get it in the proper format for the game.
ValiantJoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #2663
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValiantJoey View Post
Does anybody have a logo for the Incarnate Word Cardinals? Got the job offer, but the logo always helps my game experience play better. I was going to download one, but not sure how to get it in the proper format for the game.

The game will take any size logo and adjust to the box. Just make sure you save it under the same name as someone has in the logo box in the teams.csv file

I usually check twitter out for schools that are hard to find.

UIW (uiwcardinals) on Twitter
Old 02-12-2013, 11:15 PM   #2664
ValiantJoey
n00b

Quote:
The game will take any size logo and adjust to the box. Just make sure you save it under the same name as someone has in the logo box in the teams.csv file

I usually check twitter out for schools that are hard to find.

UIW (uiwcardinals) on Twitter

Thanks for the heads up on logos. Will be adding a few more with it being that easy.
ValiantJoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:49 PM   #2665
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Okey doke. After a rigorous [s]1 season[/s] 4 seasons of play-testing, this set-up appears RTE-free. It's the confirmed 2014 alignment of teams, with updated team prestige calculated as described above (and conference prestige tweaks as I saw fit). Looks like Fordham and TCU are your best challenges.

Re-posted for the new page.
Attached Files
File Type: csv teams.csv (30.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: csv conf.csv (2.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 02-12-2013, 11:52 PM   #2666
Groundhog
Coordinator

Brit do you mind if I host up on my site? Would be nice to keep files like this in one location. The season file I have on my site gets a few downloads each month even now.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:54 PM   #2667
britrock88
Pro Starter

Comey, all -- here is a 1974-75 setup.

There are 83 independent schools; in this setup, they're all in one conference. The GUI cuts off after 20(?) teams, so you may want to break the indies up alphabetically, by region, or by prestige. (Doing it by prestige would be smart, come to think of it -- helps the strong and the weak independent schools remain as such.)
Attached Files
File Type: csv teams.csv (19.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: csv conf.csv (1.7 KB, 2 views)
Old 02-12-2013, 11:55 PM   #2668
britrock88
Pro Starter

Groundhog, feel free. You may as well PM me your email address and I can send over all that I've aggregated. (38, 74, 2010-14, D2, D3)
Old 02-13-2013, 12:15 AM   #2669
britrock88
Pro Starter

Heh. Noticing my idiosyncratic abbreviations. And my skewed prestige system (UCLA tops at a 93, UNC next at 63, and down the line). Makes me wonder what the underlying calculations were, having handily thrown those out.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:16 AM   #2670
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

My D3 mod should be in my signature and those FBCB Coach Calculator I made too. Add them to your site if you want.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 02-13-2013 at 12:16 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:51 AM   #2671
Balldog
Pro Rookie

My D2 mod is posted earlier in this thread with logos. I'm not sure how much different it is from bitrock's, but it was pretty accurate at the time I posted it.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:16 AM   #2672
Groundhog
Coordinator

Thanks guys, I'll work on getting these all added over the next couple of days.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:16 AM   #2673
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Comey, all -- here is a 1974-75 setup.

There are 83 independent schools; in this setup, they're all in one conference. The GUI cuts off after 20(?) teams, so you may want to break the indies up alphabetically, by region, or by prestige. (Doing it by prestige would be smart, come to think of it -- helps the strong and the weak independent schools remain as such.)

You are missing the Gauchos. California-Santa Barbara Gauchos were IND that year also (no great loss).
Old 02-13-2013, 08:23 AM   #2674
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Just a question before I get too deep into it. Has anyone attempted bizarre world where all 475 schools who have played at the "major" level (according to BBref) with all conferences stay alive? I started it last night and didn't think about asking if anyone has attempted it yet. I did about 14 conferences last night
Old 02-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #2675
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Just a question before I get too deep into it. Has anyone attempted bizarre world where all 475 schools who have played at the "major" level (according to BBref) with all conferences stay alive? I started it last night and didn't think about asking if anyone has attempted it yet. I did about 14 conferences last night

Pretty sure no one has ever shared that idea.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:39 AM   #2676
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
My D2 mod is posted earlier in this thread with logos. I'm not sure how much different it is from bitrock's, but it was pretty accurate at the time I posted it.

Not very -- I would have DLed yours... I think I added Simon Fraser for some interesting Canadian play, but that's all. Of course, there's realignment to incorporate since the time you released this.

Quote:
You are missing the Gauchos. California-Santa Barbara Gauchos were IND that year also (no great loss).

I went by basketball-reference, which, while trustworthy, is not 100% accurate. I'll look into this later; thanks for pointing it out.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:30 AM   #2677
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I went by basketball-reference, which, while trustworthy, is not 100% accurate. I'll look into this later; thanks for pointing it out.

Yeah, that's where I went. Just checked, according to PSAA on wikipedia: UC Santa Barbara was an independent from 1974–1976.

California-Santa Barbara Gauchos Index | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Last edited by murrayyyyy : 02-13-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #2678
britrock88
Pro Starter

Well, derp. I'll fix that sometime soon!
Old 02-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #2679
yeah826
High School JV

I think what would be cool for the new version of the college game if he ever decide to make it would be if he were to create a historical modifier in terms of conference movement and things of that nature. D2 League would be nice also
yeah826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:57 AM   #2680
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
From the department of ridiculous ideas comes this simple spreadsheet mod that might help make head coaching decisions if you're a God-mode player like me or even if you're just trying to evaluate a mid-major job with a major conference gig a la real life.

There's incentives for post-season appearances, boosts for better leagues to offer bigger contracts that include guarantees that I modeled after real-life contracts and even small boosts for your contract having more players who are good students.

It's a completely academic and dorky exercise, but it might be fun for someone somewhere (like that guy who a few months ago wanted HR to add coach salaries to the game, lol) so I decided to share it.

It's attached and you can open it in Google Docs, Excel or Open Office Calc.

I edited the original file with one that I made with newer tweaks that make salaries more realistic. Also added a mechanism for figuring out where a career assistant coach ought to go, if you're like me (no one is, I know) and play in God mode controlling things like that sometimes.

I updated my FBCB Coach Mod a while back, but had only done so on Google Docs. I've updated the link here with a newer version. It makes some of the fields simpler, improves the calculation and I believe has some randomization. Works better than the original.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:44 PM   #2681
Capital
High School Varsity

I was thinking about purchasing this game recently and was curious about how it stands up. It appears that the game was released in 2010 but has been updated a fair amount over the last couple of years. Still worth the purchase? March Madness is right around the corner.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #2682
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital View Post
I was thinking about purchasing this game recently and was curious about how it stands up. It appears that the game was released in 2010 but has been updated a fair amount over the last couple of years. Still worth the purchase? March Madness is right around the corner.

Absolutely. It is still far and away the best college basketball sim available and has a solid loyal following.

I run one of the multiplayer leagues (see FBCB Multiplayer League Recruiting - Front Office Football Central if you're interested). We've been running smoothly for almost a decade now on the game in general and switched over to the 2010 version shortly after it came out. The support and attention HR gives this game as its been requested over the years is amazing.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #2683
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Absolutely. It is still far and away the best college basketball sim available and has a solid loyal following.

I run one of the multiplayer leagues (see FBCB Multiplayer League Recruiting - Front Office Football Central if you're interested). We've been running smoothly for almost a decade now on the game in general and switched over to the 2010 version shortly after it came out. The support and attention HR gives this game as its been requested over the years is amazing.

What he said.

I play in his league and the other multiplayer league, help out with the continual alignment moves, and create/collect some alternate league setups (search the thread for Groundhog's site). The customization that's possible with this game is great -- from historical setups to lower-division setups to entirely fictional setups, they're all possible to create and run. Plus, nothing beats the fun of building up a team from nothing!
Old 02-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #2684
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

What everyone else said. The game rocks, far and away. And HR is the best in the business.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 02-15-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #2685
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Dola: Did you all see this 667 coaches mod some guy at FBCB made?
Old 02-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #2686
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Ridiculous FBCB mod of the day, NJ High School Basketball mod. We'll see if it happens or not, but...I'm working on it in theory.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #2687
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Well if we need a crazy file of the day here is the 475 team file. Max conference size is 10 which lead to 54 conferences with each getting an automatic bid. Also added more preseason tournaments for a total of 39. Haven't had any problems in testing so far. Still needs to have teams logo names added but I figure I can work on logos at a later date.

I've haven't seen a small school win the tourney yet. One won the CBIT in 15 years of testing.
Attached Files
File Type: csv teams.csv (40.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: csv conf.csv (4.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: csv tourneys.csv (1.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 02-15-2013, 05:26 PM   #2688
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Well if we need a crazy file of the day here is the 475 team file. Max conference size is 10 which lead to 54 conferences with each getting an automatic bid. Also added more preseason tournaments for a total of 39. Haven't had any problems in testing so far. Still needs to have teams logo names added but I figure I can work on logos at a later date.

I've haven't seen a small school win the tourney yet. One won the CBIT in 15 years of testing.

Is this some kind of merger of D1/2/3?? What 475 schools are in it, because that's not clear.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 02-15-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:57 PM   #2689
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Ridiculous FBCB mod of the day, NJ High School Basketball mod. We'll see if it happens or not, but...I'm working on it in theory.

I've been discussing this sort of thing with someone else as well. The theory is we could replace the states file with counties in the state. We could even go as far as replacing the current high school file with one for middle schools. I can make it so if you place these files and the folder for the league file, the game will transfer them to your save folder whenever you start a new game and will use them instead of the default ones. This is how the FBCB.ini and Height.ini files already work. You could basically set up each classification as a level of conference prestige. Then we'd just need to work out a way for separate state tourneys at the end.
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #2690
yeah826
High School JV

That would be epic
yeah826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:07 PM   #2691
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyReign View Post
I've been discussing this sort of thing with someone else as well. The theory is we could replace the states file with counties in the state. We could even go as far as replacing the current high school file with one for middle schools. I can make it so if you place these files and the folder for the league file, the game will transfer them to your save folder whenever you start a new game and will use them instead of the default ones. This is how the FBCB.ini and Height.ini files already work. You could basically set up each classification as a level of conference prestige. Then we'd just need to work out a way for separate state tourneys at the end.

That indeed would be epic. I'm almost finished with this bare bones Jersey HS file right now. Well I'll need to edit and make sure I didn't screw something up.

I don't think we'd need middle schools since there's no HS recruiting (unless it's private schools) or scholarships, really? Just ways to make sure the kids could be fed into their hometown school district? Just seems like one less thing to have to worry about.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 02-15-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #2692
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

New Jersey HS FBCB Mod

I don't imagine this will have a ton (any?) appeal, but...here it goes.

This is a high school mod for New Jersey High Schools. It's 20 conferences (state sectional) each with an automatic bid to the NJSIAA consolidated state tournament. (Which isn't a real thing) and you can control the bids to the tourney based on what you think. Lots of interesting named schools in this one, if nothing else.

Some caveats:

Quote:
- It excludes most charters or "new" schools I didn't recognize.
- All of the schools are in New Jersey, but not in their correct long./latitude. I didn't figure anyone would care. But feel free to fix your specific town if you want.
- Mascots are excluded except for the ones I knew off-hand.
- Because putting teams in conferences would mean that they wouldn't end up feeding to the right state sectional tournaments, I've just created the state sectional groupings as conferences instead. Feel free to create a pre-season tournament that includes your favorite NJSIAA conference if you want to simulate a county or conference tournament. (That's my plan)
- I created a Central Jersey Non-Public A section comprised of schools playing Real Life South Jersey Non-Public B & schools some elite preps that don't play NJSIAA sanctioned ball at all.

I've included a fbcb.ini file with diminished recruits to simulate HS basketball, I imagine tinkering you might find raising the level of play would be better but I intentionally wanted to see if mucking it up like this would be interesting or not.

I fast-simmed a year to make sure there were no crashes. Turn off transfers and all secondary tournaments and it should be good to go.

I set it to a 32-team tournament with each of the 20 state sectional champions being eligible and then enabling another 12 at-large bids, but with over 340 schools you could justify more probably.

My goal was mostly to down and dirty throw it together to 1) see if I could before getting bored and 2) see if it'd work once I did. I might go back someday and improve it.

File can be accessed here in zip format. Extract them into a default leagues folder called NJSIAA or whatever and I was able to start a new league.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 02-15-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #2693
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Glad to know I'm not the only one obsessed enough to think of HS mods
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:29 PM   #2694
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Is this some kind of merger of D1/2/3?? What 475 schools are in it, because that's not clear.

It's every school that was classified as a major school (i.e., Division I or equivalent) for at least one season in the history of college basketball.

School Index | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Then I did the same with almost every conference. I tried to assign teams with seniority to their conferences.

Conference Index | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Just wanted to see if if I could make a file with real teams that would make it hard to win in the end.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:44 PM   #2695
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
Glad to know I'm not the only one obsessed enough to think of HS mods

I'm making a PIAA mod sometime in the near future, for a giant dynasty I'm creating.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #2696
HornsWin
n00b

Hi all...just getting into this game (into year 4) and had a couple of questions I couldn't find the answers to....

1.) Do coaches (head and assistants) see improvements in their ratings over time or are they locked in at the beginning of the game?

2.) Do players only see improvements in ratings during training camp or will you see increases during the year as well? Also, does playing time help a player's ratings improve or are improvements strictly limited to what happens in training camp?

Love this game so far! Thanks for the help in advance!
HornsWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #2697
nol
Banned

Coaches do improve in their ratings over time, but I couldn't tell you what exactly has to happen in order to increase a level. I'm not sure if players improve throughout the year, but players with more playing time do improve more during training camp (relative to their potential, head/assistant coach ratings, and training facilities).
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #2698
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornsWin View Post
Hi all...just getting into this game (into year 4) and had a couple of questions I couldn't find the answers to....

1.) Do coaches (head and assistants) see improvements in their ratings over time or are they locked in at the beginning of the game?

2.) Do players only see improvements in ratings during training camp or will you see increases during the year as well? Also, does playing time help a player's ratings improve or are improvements strictly limited to what happens in training camp?

Love this game so far! Thanks for the help in advance!

Short answers:
Coaches' skills do increase, irregularly. And players only improve during training camp.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:38 AM   #2699
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Short answers:
Coaches' skills do increase, irregularly. And players only improve during training camp.

As someone who only plays with promotion on, I can tell you that assistant skills increase when you are promoted, and your skills do then as well, but at other times also. Facilities and budgets are also increased with promotion, and at other, random times, too.

Assistants will ask for more money when their skills increase. That's the reminder it has happened.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW

Last edited by OldGiants : 02-17-2013 at 09:39 AM.
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:52 AM   #2700
Capital
High School Varsity

You guys are right...it's a fun game...just spent a bunch of time with the demo.

Due to the sheer number of guys to recruit in college games, I oftentimes felt these portions a bit cumbersome. That's not the case here and you don't have to spend a ridiculous amount of time combing though a bunch of players.

Do you know how many licenses come with the game - 2?
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote