That's my intent.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:18 PM   #802
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
That's my intent.

I've heard this one for a while, let's get it going... Also join my league so we can have 7 owners. Got Ayden and Rob to join this weekend

Quote:
Okay, now I *really* want to see it.

Three year stretch in Detroit:

1964: 62-18
1965: 78-2
1966: 70-10

I really want to see who was on that '65 team. I also want to know who was on the 82 Knicks team that won 75; Seattle won 71 that year. The Knicks and Sonics had a great rivalry in those years...and the Knicks were in the finals four straight years. Would love to see who was on those teams.

The Virginia Squires won 7 straight titles ABA during my Hawks thread I think (I'll have to check the forums) and went undefeated one season I believe. I ended up hiring their coach when the ABA merged.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:31 PM   #803
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Wasn't the Squires the whole time but it was the same franchise.

Oaks 1967 (56-22) Worst season
Oaks 68 (70-8) team moves to Wash Caps
Caps 69 (74-10) team move to Virginia Squires
70 (75-9)
71 (82-2)
72 (75-9)
73 (78-6)
74 (78-6)
75 (81-3)
Old 05-12-2013, 04:43 PM   #804
yeah826
High School JV

I wonder if this game will be reviewed by operation sports or something to see if it can get more exposure.
yeah826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:11 PM   #805
korme
Go Reds

Purely aesthetic but it could be cool to have an option to retire a players jersey. Maybe a section with retired jerseys where by clicking on the number it brings up the player card or something
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:15 PM   #806
Comey
College Starter

An option to have jerseys in the game would be awesome, period.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:19 PM   #807
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Purely aesthetic but it could be cool to have an option to retire a players jersey. Maybe a section with retired jerseys where by clicking on the number it brings up the player card or something

Quote:
An option to have jerseys in the game would be awesome, period.

Ugh. You can't even retire numbers in OOTP where you'd figure the dorknozzles over there would've had that happen. (Mostly kidding, it'd be cool in that game..in FBCB, less so.)

I think a "team hall of fame" feature would be enough, it could log the players number and stuff. But I'd figure that getting the game to take #s out of circulation would be way more lines of code than it's worth for not much payoff.

Plus the AI would surely screw it up.

Team Hall of Fame (if it were possible someday) yes. Retired numbers, no.

Hell, even if he wanted to wait until the next version to add these things, so be it. At this point, HR should be plotting for that next edition anyway rather than giving us all of this stuff for free.

Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:36 PM   #808
yeah826
High School JV

Hey I would be cool with HR coming out with yearly releases like ootp especially if the features added to each game is worthed it. Honestly though this game would need a whole lot more exposure/customers to go about putting in the time to constantly release new games.

Ive seen people who would love to see new basketball sims on the market expecially with a historical database but it seems no one really knows about this game. I tried reddit but I dont even think no one even looked at what i posted.

Last edited by yeah826 : 05-12-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:10 AM   #809
Jon
High School Varsity

Stupid question: when do I get to propose a city move? I was told I had 3 years to propose a move, but everytime I look to make the move, I'm not allowed.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #810
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Son View Post
Question about the name files for HR or anyone in the know: If I wanted to change the frequency of a name appearing in the file, do I have to add it several times? ... Or does its position in the list matter? ... Or both? Lastly, up to what number limit of names in the text file will the game read and use?

Thanks.

For the English names files, it uses names higher on the list more. For all other files it just uses a random names so you would want to add duplicates of more common names to the list. The game will only use the first 10,000 names in each file.
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:10 PM   #811
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeah826 View Post
So I fast simmed a league and while going through some history I was wondering about the trade logic of this game because I see a player who was drafted number 1 overall having a rookie of the year type season yet was traded during the middle of his first year. I think if a team is going to draft a player that high they will not trade them no matter what honestly at least not so early(maybe 2 years) or the player just is not working out for the team. What happened with Thomas Robinson in Sacremento I would consider to be an outlier.

Do teams trade to fullfill a vision that they want the team to be ran as because I watched the celtics trade Robert Parrish and Kevin Mchale for two hall of fame level guards.

Also do a team most likely trade a player if they do not believe he is going to resign back with with them. The reason why I am asking is because the Rockets traded Hakeem Olajuwan who was in his prime and the best player on their team for visually nothing( They may have gotten draft picks but I did not check). Though I did notice he was in his last year of his contract.

It is hard to comment on specific trades without seeing the actual trade at the time. Teams probably aren't attached enough to certain players but that is something you have to build towards. Teams do have specific skills they prefer so they would be more likely to trade for certain types of players. At this point teams wouldn't take less just because a contract was expiring.

Quote:
Also I saw a team cancel a players team option after the previous year he won MVP and it wasnt like he was in rapid decline because the season that his team option declined he was an ALL NBA 3rd team player. Do you think this may because of money or salary cap issues. Or were they trying to renogiate his contract.

They may have wanted to resign him for less in FA. I could see potential for a bug though thinking about how the code works so I'll run some tests there.

Quote:
Also do other skills other than physical regress?

Yes they do. Some more than others. Shooting, passing, handling should decline less.

Quote:
I found while under the Hall of Fame screen when I scrolled to the NBDL league the game got an error 9 i believe or subscript out of range and the game closed on me.

Thanks, I think I was able to find this one.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #812
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
Stupid question: when do I get to propose a city move? I was told I had 3 years to propose a move, but everytime I look to make the move, I'm not allowed.

The city dropdown on the propose arena screen should be enabled if you are allowed to move to a new city. The proposal currently gets voted on when you run training camps although I think I'll likely move that to the end of the season instead. Did you set finances to cpu control? That disables the finance options.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:53 PM   #813
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Hey I would be cool with HR coming out with yearly releases like ootp especially if the features added to each game is worthed it. Honestly though this game would need a whole lot more exposure/customers to go about putting in the time to constantly release new games.

Ive seen people who would love to see new basketball sims on the market expecially with a historical database but it seems no one really knows about this game. I tried reddit but I dont even think no one even looked at what i posted.

I'd say it would be really hard to maintain things going forward without releasing something each year. You really need that momentum and repeat business. Whether that ends up happening I don't know. Getting this game done was a good step but I'm still trying to figure out what to do with my life at this point.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #814
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I think there's no doubt you'd have the repeat business. We're here and we're happy to buy, I know this much.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #815
korme
Go Reds

This is for certain
Old 05-13-2013, 10:02 PM   #816
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Thirded - I'm pretty much at the point now that I'd buy anything Brian releases. The games are terrific and the customer support is unparalleled. Plus, he's a Husky
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:27 PM   #817
yeah826
High School JV

Im always up for supporting HR's games

btw how do you guys feel about drafting red/blue type players I feel like they are too big of a risk to me for 1. I cant really play them and I dont even know if they will get playing time in the d league and 2. since their developed is usually stunted they never end up being no better than a yellow player.

I mean unless my team is really horrible I mean in terms of starting a orange level player I feel I would only draft this type of player if I had a pick in the 7 to late first round type draft.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:50 PM   #818
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Would it possible when hitting print on the news section to put the date it happens. Just to make things easier on a news message board of a MP league.

North American Basketball Federation League News

Wade Named Player of the Week
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dwyane Wade of the Empire was named Player of the Week today. He helped the
Empire win both of their games. When asked about his latest accomplishment,
Wade replied ''It is an honor to be recognized for my individual performance
but I am more pleased about the way the team is playing. If we can keep playing
like this we'll be in the playoffs for sure.'' For the week, Wade averaged 38.5
points, 6.5 rebounds, 5.0 assists, 2.0 steals, and 0.5 blocks per game.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:58 PM   #819
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
btw how do you guys feel about drafting red/blue type players I feel like they are too big of a risk to me for 1. I cant really play them and I dont even know if they will get playing time in the d league and 2. since their developed is usually stunted they never end up being no better than a yellow player.

I mean unless my team is really horrible I mean in terms of starting a orange level player I feel I would only draft this type of player if I had a pick in the 7 to late first round type draft.

I have to say that, for me, this is one of the most realistic choices I find myself making. Do you grab the red/blue 18 or 19 year old for your lottery team, or do pick the green/green or yellow/green guy? Go with the red/blue and best case you have a green player who wants to re-sign when his rookie contract is up, worst case he leaves or busts down to a green or yellow player anyway.

Expansion team is generally the one time I will always go with the red/blue because you can suck for a few years and keep trying your luck in FA and the draft while they develop, otherwise I usually feel safer with the green player.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:00 PM   #820
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
Would it possible when hitting print on the news section to put the date it happens. Just to make things easier on a news message board of a MP league.

Sure
Old 05-13-2013, 11:41 PM   #821
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Question - I started a new game the other night using the historical database, but I changed the Alignment options so Team Movement and Expansion were changed to random.

I started in 1946 and so far I've played 3 full seasons and am finishing up the preseason for 1949; there hasn't been any franchise movement, expansion or contraction.

The lack of contraction is somewhat understandable - while a few teams have had a year in the red, none of them have had more than a year in the red, and every team has been profitable overall. That could also somewhat explain the lack of team movement too, though there are some larger markets that desire a team.

I guess I'm curious how this setting is supposed to work - in my ideal, I'd be able to set up a historical league and then have market forces act on my league so that it would develop a history that diverges from reality.

Also, I tried to edit the teams in my league manually, but the "delete" options was greyed-out, so it would seem I can't manually contract any teams. Is this possible to do?
Old 05-13-2013, 11:49 PM   #822
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Another question - do head coaches have a greater influence on each of the coaching categories than the assistants, both in terms of training as well as game management? I would figure that to be the case, but the help file doesn't clarify this.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:53 PM   #823
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Previous research has shown the expansion rates are too low when there are less teams in the league. There isn't any random contraction at the moment but I'll make myself a reminder to get that in when I adjust the expansion rates. In order to contract a team you don't delete them, you just change the active setting to no.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:55 PM   #824
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Triple dola -

If I'm setting up a game using the historical database and with both the NBA and ABA active and I set the Historical Database League to "All", will ABA teams compete with NBA teams for free agents? Will both leagues attempt to draft the same players, and if so, how is it determined which league gets guys that are drafted in both?
Old 05-13-2013, 11:58 PM   #825
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Another question - do head coaches have a greater influence on each of the coaching categories than the assistants, both in terms of training as well as game management? I would figure that to be the case, but the help file doesn't clarify this.

In build 3.0.14 the head coach is more important.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:00 AM   #826
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Triple dola -

If I'm setting up a game using the historical database and with both the NBA and ABA active and I set the Historical Database League to "All", will ABA teams compete with NBA teams for free agents? Will both leagues attempt to draft the same players, and if so, how is it determined which league gets guys that are drafted in both?

As long as both leagues are active they will compete for free agents. There isn't any way to have them draft out of the same pool of players however. If you used all on both you would end up with duplicates of everyone.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:20 AM   #827
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks Brian, that clarifies things.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:40 AM   #828
yeah826
High School JV

Hey HR could you for the next patch turn on draft and dispersal draft for the ABA I cant seem to figure out how to change the settings.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:41 AM   #829
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Yeah I double checked and there is something else broken with it beyond the draft just being off. I'll get it fixed for the next one.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:03 AM   #830
Groundhog
Coordinator

I present to you Vaughn Harris, the best there was, is, or every will be... dude even won an NCAA title:

(in a spoiler to stop the page flood)
Spoiler
Old 05-14-2013, 04:20 AM   #831
Comey
College Starter

Where was he drafted? Also, what kind of impact did he have as a rookie?

Old 05-14-2013, 05:48 AM   #832
Groundhog
Coordinator

I don't actually have a copy of the save and I was just doing some testing and looking over stats, but I recall he was drafted #1 and the rookie of the year was a PF or C - I think turnovers hurt Harris as far as RotY was concerned, but pretty tough given his triple double average.

Interestingly enough though, in multiple 1946-2020 quick-sims, this guy is usually one of the best overall players when using this lot of FBCB draft classes. He had good college numbers - like 16ppg 6rpg 6apg as a junior.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:51 AM   #833
korme
Go Reds

Should a player log a year of experience if he only plays in the D-LG?
Old 05-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #834
Umbrella
High School Varsity

I'm seeing something strange. I am running a historical league starting in 1946, with all leagues coming in at the right time. In 1969, the Suns drafted Kareem with the #1 pick. Then I noticed that the Royals won the championship, with Kareem getting the playoff MVP. I thought it was strange that the Suns traded the franchise, so I looked at his transaction history. He was signed as a free agent.

I dug a little deeper, and it looks like starting in 1968, some, if not all, of the rookies are being generated twice. In some cases, one player is in the NBA and the other in the ABA, and in some both players are in the NBA.

Of course, the Royals did a nice job with signing both Kareem and Elvin Hayes' twins. I wonder if this has anything to do with the ABA starting at around this time?
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:43 AM   #835
korme
Go Reds

You have to set the historical DBs to use the NBA and ABA seperately upon startup
Old 05-14-2013, 10:54 AM   #836
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Thanks korme. Help me with my ignorance, how do I do that?
Old 05-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #837
yeah826
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrella View Post
Thanks korme. Help me with my ignorance, how do I do that?

The pictures below show how to do it

Last edited by yeah826 : 06-08-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #838
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The pictures below show how to do it
They may show up as something like US Basketball League (for the NBA) and US Basketball Association (for the ABA).
Old 05-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #839
Umbrella
High School Varsity

Yes, I got it, thanks. I think on mine, for the NBA, I had league type as parent, or something like that. I'll have to look when I get home.

I just don't remember seeing this before I updated from 3.0.05 to 3.0.13, so I was wondering if something got changed. Of course it is possible that it was there, but I just didn't notice it.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:54 PM   #840
korme
Go Reds

Been there since release no biggie
Old 05-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #841
yeah826
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbrella View Post
Yes, I got it, thanks. I think on mine, for the NBA, I had league type as parent, or something like that. I'll have to look when I get home.

I just don't remember seeing this before I updated from 3.0.05 to 3.0.13, so I was wondering if something got changed. Of course it is possible that it was there, but I just didn't notice it.

Yes you have the NBA as a parent league the only reason it says standalone is because I did not activate the D League
Old 05-14-2013, 03:12 PM   #842
QuikSand
lolzcat

Some thoughts from a still-happy customer. Please receive as constructive observations.

First - I am not a detail player. Definitely not yet, likely not ever. I am not managing my team meticulously, I don't play out games, and right now I'm even turning over the gameplan and depth chart to my staff. Not sure if that would change if I got more immersed into a more deep career than I have been thus far. Anyway, I know precious little about the intricacies of the NBA, but have enough working knowledge of basketball to get the basics of team building, and I'm fine at that level.

With that... the main worry for me, with a game like this, is that there emerges a too-simple formula.

Here's what I'm basically doing right now, as I (at this novice level) play this game:

-trade away all my draft picks except those that clearly land a great-fit player, frequently dealing into future drafts (too easy to get future 1sts from bad teams, maybe)

-evaluate players based on a few key sorts/skills (for bigs, Ins-PosD-DR-OR-Blk...for guards, shootingskills-Hnd-PrD-Stl) and nearly ignore everything else

-based on these key skills, i can get and keep a set of fairly unwanted players around for cheap forever - so I can spend minsal (or close to it) and load my roster with maybe 4-8 guys who have skills good enough to see the court if needed, and who will presumably build my team cohesion over time

-basically drive my team to load up on tip-top draft picks and max-sal guys at every opportunity... over a mature career, I now usually field at least 4 blue-rated players at any time, and another 4 green-rated, on average

-my teams are winning 50+ games every season, and 60+ sometimes... the postseason seems to be hit or miss (both for me and the power teams) but we are consistently a top tier franchise now, and this is without any really serious commitment of deep thought on my part (see all the above)

-I continue to be frustrated by the whole financial system, but I suspect this is a function of the cockeyed NBA system, rather than the game's implementation of it -- but I hate just watching my top players walk away from my 60-win team to accept a 4-max deal over my 5-max deal... i fee like it would be more rewarding if it were "explained" some way... why does my guy prefer the other offer?

I like the game. It's executed well, and obviously HR is committed to working through both technical and balancing issues. That's great.

For me, the eventual route might be to implement house rules, and it's disappointing to me that I'm already on that channel while not really putting much effort into the game.

Cheers.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:21 PM   #843
cuervo72
Head Coach

Thought I was reading a MP FOF post there for a second with those bullet points.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #844
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Thought I was reading a MP FOF post there for a second with those bullet points.

Hmm, come to think of it, that *is* also how I run my FOF teams.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:26 PM   #845
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Maybe some kind of OOTP-like stats only option where ratings are just masked completely?
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #846
QuikSand
lolzcat

In my mind, here's the thing... if sifting through the madness of many ratings and just eyeballing the few that I care about seems to land me gobs of players good enough to make my team really good... then the game's AI-driven teams ought to be valuing those players more highly than they are now. If a 6-11 C with 20-scale ratings of 14 Ins and 14 PosD and 11-11 rebounding is a guy who's a serious value added for my team, then he ought to be pulling down 5-10% of the cap from someone else, not signing with my team year after year for peanuts.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #847
yeah826
High School JV

Thats actually pretty interesting I guess AI needs to better evaluate talent or the game just needs to value certain players more.

Either that or the game needs to implement a system based where some teams may run a princeton offense and value passing big men more or the triangle where a jump shooting pg is more important.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:46 PM   #848
korme
Go Reds

I know you set the manually edited potentials to be anywhere to 200, but are players importing over 100? In test runs the Kobes, Carmelos, LeBrons, Durants, etc of the latest era never hit a 30 PPG margin... most leading men are at 25 ppg
Old 05-14-2013, 03:53 PM   #849
yeah826
High School JV

Do you mean import as in for that season or through like a 5+ year sim because usually if I import in 2012 Durant always hits 30pg and Melo. Also if you are talking about importing then drafting these players I would say it would depend on who is surrounding them if Durant were to play with Melo I dont think any of them would hit 30ppg.

Last edited by yeah826 : 05-14-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:11 PM   #850
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quik's observations bring up an interesting tension that I've noticed in the development of text sims. People approach these games very differently. Quik articulated well the point of view of someone willing and able to attack the game and quickly bring it to a "house rules" point.

I am at a point in life where I don't have tons of time to dedicate to my gaming. In that respect, if a game is too hard and/or requires too much work to do well, I'm going to lose interest on that level.

Some people want to take a very hands-off approach and really play it like a big-picture GM. Others want to micromanage when they call timeouts during a random regular season game. Still others want to use it more like a historical sim--entering and leaving a fictional universe to tweak and massage it, almost like a god figure.

So, how do you make a game to please all of these people? How do you make it so that the hands-off player is not penalized for not engaging all of the details of the game, while also not making it a waste of time for the player who wants to do that?

And how do you make it enough of a challenge for a player who wants to really tackle the game full-bore, without also making it so that you have no chance of competing if you are not pulling out excel spreadsheets to deal with the cap every offseason?
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote